But, there's a newer version

See latest version

Other Smartphones:
Apple OS Smartphones
Apple
A1203
Apple iPhone (1st Generation)

Apple iPhone (1st Generation)

Pros

• Wifi (3)

• Camera (3)

Finally, a Smartphone That IS!

At my age, I never expect anything great for my birthdays. I figure that if I want something, I can always buy it myself, and I frequently do. So for my birthday when my husband presented me with a small bag, I wasn't expecting much more than a card and a token gift. Imagine my surprise when I unwrapped a **4GB Apple iPhone Smartphone**! My husband had cleverly thrown me off the scent of his intentions many weeks earlier by using the standard line, "Don't be silly, it's extravagant, you don't need it," in response to my drooling over the iPhone.**Why We Purchased an iPhone**My husband's reason for purchasing an iPhone for me (for us, really) may be different from most people's. We travel a great deal and while we often have access to wireless Internet in hotels, we don't want to bring along a full-size laptop to browse the web. We *do* use the Internet a great deal on our trips: searching for restaurants, reviews of places and sending emails. After seeing how Safari worked on the iPhone in a demo, my husband decided that the iPhone would be a great alternative to a laptop.**About the iPhone**Apple's iPhone is the latest gadget darling in the media. Apple has essentially taken their wildly successful iPod and merged it with a cell phone. They've added a lot of other interesting functionality as well, including the web browser, an email application, a notes application, weather, stock quotes, maps and a digital camera.  Here are a few that I use frequently:***Safari - Web Browsing:*** Web browsing is easier than ever with Safari on the iPhone. Nearly all pages render just the way they would on a standard computer, only much smaller. You can orient the page horizontally or vertically by turning the phone, move around the page with your fingertip, and zoom in or out using a pinching motion with two fingers on the screen. You can also open a new "tab" and scroll through multiple pages.***eMail:*** eMail functionality can be configured for most popular email services, but it's not without its glitches. I use GMail for my email and have found several issues with getting it to sync properly with the GMail service. Messages that I delete on my iPhone aren't deleted from GMail, even though I have that option checked. When I send an email on my computer from within GMail, it shows up as a new message to me on the iPhone. The GMail implementation is currently more trouble than it's worth. I was actually considering setting up a standard POP mail box with another service because GMail on the iPhone is very annoying.***Google Maps with Traffic:*** This is one of the most useful features of my iPhone. By default my Google Map application opens up with my route home highlighted, and a red/yellow/green rendering of the traffic along my route. When I get in my car, I simply pull up Google Maps and I know instantly if I have to avoid a particular route on the way home. I've found that the traffic component on Google Maps accurately reflects what's going on on the roads.***Camera:*** I don't like the camera that comes on the iPhone. It's blurry, non-intuitive, doesn't have a flash and is in general one of the weaker phone cameras I've come across.***iPod:*** It's no surprise that the iPod functionality on the phone is great. ***Phone & Voicemail:**  *Using the phone, receiving a call, and checking your voicemail via visual voicemail are all seamless functions that are easy to figure out and use.***Headset Inputs:** *This is the biggest con to the Apple iPhone and the most frustrating part of owning an iPhone. The headset jack on the iPhone is smaller than a standard jack and so your regular headphones almost certainly won't fit on the iPhone. I hate earbuds, and so I don't like to use the earbuds that came with my iPhone. It's impossible to reliably find headphones that fit at this time, but researching the situation shows that there will soon be adapters on the market (which are bulky) and headphones with a "Made for iPhone" compatibility note on them, to show that they'll fit this new slimmer input jack. I wish Apple had just made the input jack regularly sized to begin with. **Cat's Bottom Line**You can have my Apple iPhone when you pry it from my cold, dead fingers. I love my iPhone, and I think it's a great asset to have everyday and on the road while traveling. Highly recommended!

downgrade from my treo

i got this thinking it would be easy to use and suit my laid back lifestyle. what is very important to me in a cell phone is texting and of course reception quality. i can not forward texts and the pictures i get on texts require me to go to a specific website and enter in a very long user log on and password...neither of which is easy to remember or see...and then i have to go back and forth to enter this information because it is so long.  this phone is worthless. i regret downgrading from a very nice treo. i would not recommend this phone to anyone. it is horrible.

far good

from far good

About Me Student

Pros

• Camera

Cons

• Battery Life

• Entertainment

• Camera:
  • Editing Tools

viry good

from viry good

Pros

• App Availablity
  • Battery Life
  • Camera
  • Easy To Customize
  • Operating System
  • Screen

• Entertainment

viry good

• Compact
    • Intuitive
    • Media:
    • Easy To Download Media, Easy To Use Media Player, External Media Controls, Fast Streaming Media, Games, Good Speaker Sound
    • I am an employee or otherwise affiliated with the brand

is very good phone i love this phone

from BHR

About Me Gadget-phobic

Pros

• WiFi

Cons

• Screen

Comments about Apple iPhone (1st Generation):

lets buy it very goooooood the camera is very nice

• Just Right
    • Good Quality

,h

from hg

About Me Student

Pros

• Battery Life
    • WiFi

Cons

• Button Configuration
    • Camera
    • Web Browsing

dood

• Just Right
    • Feels Sturdy
    • Complicated
    • Good Speaker Sound

Great product for anyone and easy to use!

Comments about Apple iPhone (1st Generation):

I love this phone! I received it as a birthday gift and I do not know how I lived without it. It is everything you will ever need in a computer, just smaller. I love to play games, take pictures, surf the net. My kids love to use it too. I would recommend this phone to anyone that has one of those old fashioned cell phones. You really don't realize how much fun you can have with this phone.

Battery Life
    I have had my phone for about 2 1/2 years and never had to replace it.

I have a hard protective cover on my phone, so i never had any issues with damage when accidentally dropped.

Not So Excited

from Great Neck, NY

Comments about Apple iPhone (1st Generation):

I hated the fact that you can't use it in winter without taking off your gloves, and now they have special gloves that you can use it with. And I hated that it called people when I really didn't want to, among other things. I gave up all my cell phone service - much too expensive and unnecessary

Battery Life
    Terrible if you went online often

• Battery Life:
    • Display/Screen Quality:
    • Call Quality:

love it best phone for the price

from Fort Wayne, IN

Comments about Apple iPhone (1st Generation):

love the features great user interface why buy any other cell phone in it's price range. very wifi friendly easy to connect . this phone has more feature than any phone on the market. Quality of the phone seems very good another winner from apple!!

Very smart phone!

from London, KY

Comments about Apple iPhone (1st Generation):

Iphone is very sleek, pretty easily used, but has several bad issues. I have had mine for around 3 months, and lately once I go in a dead cell area, I have to turn my phone off and back on before I can have service again. I also did not like how you can't text pictures. I would recommend this phone for someone who is a business person and needs good organization.

unbeilivable

from Rohnert Park, CA

Comments about Apple iPhone (1st Generation):

i love new gadets. they are so much fun to play with and learn how to used. i wanted to see and play with the i-phone before i went out and spent the money on it to make sure i wanted it. when a patient of mine came into the office she had one and showed it to me. it is amazing. you can talk on the phone, check and send e-mail to other, im poeple, take photos and download them to you computer or e-mail them to some one, use it as an mp3 player. the only downside is that you have to send it back to the company once a year for a new battery replacement and it takes about a week for them to get it back to you. it is a little heavy but that was not an issue for me.

This phone has it all

from Crowley, LA

Comments about Apple iPhone (1st Generation):

If you are looking for a phone that has it all, the iPhone is your best bet!  Not only it it a cell phone, it is also an iPod and an internet accessor.  The only downsides I have found with this phone are its cost and the issue of insurance.