View more desktops

Apple iMac 21.5-inch Desktop Computer

Pros

Cons

• Support & Service:

How did I live so long without this piece of technology?

I have only ever owned PC's in the past.  I've had them all.  I've had Dell's, HP's, and eMachine's....I've had laptops, desktops, and Netbooks.  I've used the PC for all things, from video editing and word processing to gaming.  What made me venture to try out the iMac, you may ask?  It had nothing to do, believe it or not, with the constant and steady failure of all my PC's.  Yes, indeed, I've had to send in more of my PC's for repair than not.  What motivated me to try out the iMac was my new love for the iPhone.  I wondered if a company that could invent such a user friendly piece of technology could do so on a bigger scale, as in, on a desktop computer.

My first impression of my iMac, from the very beginning, was 'wow.'  WOW!  The screen is brilliant!  Wide screen...incredible resolution....I was so used to, at this time, my laptop screen...something that was less than spectacular.  Suddenly my computer experience was jumping out at me with clarity and brightness that, simply said, captivated me to use the product.

Picture organzing and photo editing was an important feature for me, and I was nothing but pleased with the included iPhoto.  Not only did it quickly and effeciently organize my photos by place, date, event and even person, but it also has face recognition, so that it organized and labeled my photos by person without me having to tag them!  Incredible!  It was as easy as a click of the mouse.  I couldn't be more pleased.

Video editing is also a feature I was interested in because I enjoy putting together slideshows and organizing my home videos.  The inluded software is iMovie and within minutes I had made professional looking video.  It was the easiest, most user friendly photo editing software I have ever used.

Garageband is the music making software that comes on the iMac.  Garageband has so many incredible features for the music lover.  Not only does it have music lessons that allow you to learn instruments, but it has an incredible selection of virtual instruments and you can use a midi keyboard or even your computer keyboard as a midi converter to create your own music.  If timing is an issue, use the extensive library of musical loops and mix and match yourself your own beats.

The iMac's primary purpose is to be user friendly.  It is easy to use, easy to customize, and easy to navigate.  I can't believe that I have gone for so many years without owning a Mac, and will now be, from here on out, a devout Mac user.

Mac's are not known for their gaming, but games are available on them, as I am currently a devout World of Warcraft fan.  Gaming on a Mac is amazing with the incredible screen and resoution of the graphics as well as brilliant colors.  If you are a big gamer, there is a way to run Windows games on the Mac by using a program called Boot Camp.

Another feature that Mac users quickly become aware of and fond of is iCalendar.  This calendar is simple to use, very customizable with labels, different calendars, and colors, as well as easy to use and sync with other products or calendar programs, either ones on your iPhone, or PDA using Google Calendar.

If you purchase a Mac you will also want to purchase a Time Capsule and use the enclosed program Time Machine to back it up.  This is an incredibly convenient feature available for your Mac that wirelessly backs up all aspects of your computer, including settings, so that in case of an emergency, your vital information is safe and sound and will never be lost.

One of the most convienient aspects of the iMac is that it is an all-in-one system.  That means that your hard drive, your screen, and your disk drive are all conviently put together in one unit, which is your screen.  This means no excess of wires clogging your desk.  Indeed, if you buy the magic mouse and wireless keyboard, the only wire you will have for your entire unit is the power cord plugging you into the wall!  How is that for a pleasant change after years and years of navigating the rat tailed mess of wires and cords that you have become accustomed to after using Windows PC Desktops?  The iMac has a side loading disk drive that is very compact and effecient and easy to use.

In conclusion, if you enjoy simplicity, and user friendly is important to you, an iMac will not disappoint you.  It excels in the arts.  Music making, movie making, photo editing are vital and key to its core.  There is really no limit to what it can do.  I have not once been disappointed with what my Mac has brought to my life, and I cannot imagine ever going back to a Windows system.  In fact, I have found it a hobby to learn more about my Mac and become a seasoned and experienced, knowledgeable Mac user.  The Mac system is crisp, sharp, clean, its interface is incredibly customizable and user specific, the included programs are exceptional, and the customer service is stellar.  After purchasing the iMac I have been introduced to a whole new world of Mac loving people who love to share the expertise and knowledge.  I will never go back to a PC, I am now officially a Mac owner, lover, and user for life.

The Apple iMac is and O.K. computer, format isn't good.

If i had to pick a computer to use I don't think I'd chose this one only because the setup isn't as good as that of the PC, and the mouses they have only have one clicker so u have to control click on everything you want to copy, or cut, or paste or do anything like that, but it does have the cool feature of havein that bottom bar with allll the stuff you have, but I also don't like that safari is the main browser for it because i don't really like safari's setup very much but i think apple is a better seller of ipods and music devices because I have never really been a fan of their computer  setups. and the concept and format of the Mac is hard to get if you are used to a PC and you like the way is works

the mac is a pretty OK computer to use

The Apple iMac is Awesome!

from Wrightstown NJ

Comments about Apple iMac 21.5-inch Desktop Computer:

I love the Apple iMac computer. It is a great computer and easy to use. He has alot of functions and is fast. The Apple iuMac is very user friendly and I have not experienced any problems with it since I started using it. I like the look of it as well, sleek and modern and not bulky or boring. The icons are great! Although it costs a bit more than some of the more convential desktop computers it is well worth it. The speed alone saves lots of aggravation and so far I have no complaints. It was very easy to set up and has everything that I need already in it. I would definitely recommend the Apple IMac to anyone. It is great for students, work, and for everyday use and i give it more than a five star rating. It is the absolute best computer I have ever used with great looks and functionality as well. It is reliable, you do not have to get annoyed that it is taking to long or running slow, user friendly and just all around perfect. I dont find anything wrong with it at all !

iMac's are the best!

from Saint Paul, MN

Comments about Apple iMac 21.5-inch Desktop Computer:

I have worked with Macintosh computers for many, many years in both college and at work. I work at a University in Science and Macs are almost exclusively used. I find them to be easy to use and they don't crash like PCs can. I have had a iMac at home now for about a year and a half and absoluletly love it. Everything is easy to find, updates are a snap and no crashes so far (unlike our old HP desktop). This computer is as fast as it was the day I first brought it home. The only draw back I have found is that we couldn't hook some of the things we had bought for our old PC to the iMac (for example, we have the fisher price cool school set up and now it just sits in a corner unuseable). Other than that the iMac has been perfect!

• Support & Service:

My Apple iMac MB950LL/A 21.5-Inch Desktop is wonderful!

from Salinas, CA

Comments about Apple iMac 21.5-inch Desktop Computer:

I've had my Apple iMac MB950LL/A 21.5-Inch desktop computer for 8 months now and haven't had any problems with it. It has an awesome huge clear monitor and barely takes up any space. The entire computer fits inside the 2 inch thick monitor so there is no bulky tower to fit under the desk. The speakers have wonderful sound quality. I don't even need to hook up my external speakers, that's how good they are. The wireless keyboard and mouse have been the most complicated part of the system. As much as I'd like to use the Magic Mouse, it was too inconvient to turn on all the time and sometimes had connection problems. I've also had connection problems with the wireless keyboard, but when it is connected it works really well. A quick fix would be to buy a wired mouse and keyboard. With 4 USB 2 ports, you'd still have two available if you did get a wired keyboard and mouse.

It's really easy to set up too. I'd never set up a computer on my own before but the software on this computer made it super easy. When I turned it on the first time all I had to do was connect my external harddrive to the computer and tell it to transfer my others computer's information over. That was it. No need to understand computers thoroughly or be a computer genius. Anyone, even people new to computers, could use this computer.

Apple iMac MB950LL/A 21.5 in Desktop Computer is great

from San Gabriel, CA

Comments about Apple iMac 21.5-inch Desktop Computer:

This Apple iMac MB950LL/A 21.5 in Desktop Computer is a dream. I received this computer for my birthday about a month ago and I literally have no complaints at all. I understand that not everyone may be a mac user but this desktop computer is really great! At first when I saw it all I thought was that wow the 21.5 inch screen is nice but when I opend it to look at the graphics and features I was beyond surprised with what I had found. For people who need to work on graphics or any type of pictures, illutrators etc this is really what you want to get. Although I know it is pricey saving up sure is worth it. The Apple iMac is really a great desktop I use it on a day to day basis for school and work and I really love it

Computer of the furture

from Yorba Linda, CA

Comments about Apple iMac 21.5-inch Desktop Computer:

this is a very cool computer for a lot of reasons. It is extremly good looking and very easy to use. I like the homescreen and its interface. I do not own this computer myself however my school has a lot of these computers in the school libary. I own a pc and i like it better than the mac because of how much it costs. For a god mac you have to pa 1500 dollers, for a pc 600, i could get two laptops for 1 mac laptop. However if price is not a problum then i would get a mac book air cause those are soo cool. However for a desktop comuter this is a great computer. I would suggest getting word for mac, and photoshop, and also excel for mac. These would make this computer useable and awesome.

This computer is not for gaming unless you want to play very low stress games, or games with low resolution. There are many upgrades you can buy so if you are a gamer than this would be a very adiquite computer for you

Best All in one Desktop Computer but cost too much

from Oklahoma City, OK

Comments about Apple iMac 21.5-inch Desktop Computer:

The apple imac 21.5 desktop computer is the all in one personal computer by apple. The new imac is the ultimate all in one personal computer that have the intel core i3 processor with the advanced architecture which make this all in one personal computer one of the best in the market today. It also come with the fast discrete graphics processor that is now standard on all imac, the 21.5 screen make it perfect to watch high definition videos on it, and it also come with the apple wireless keyboard and magic mouse that make your desktop very clean and tidy. The imac display is a 1920 by 1080 pixel resolution which is for native 1080 high definition video viewing angle. The 21.5 inch model offers improved graphics with the ati radeon high definition s670 discrete graphics card that feature a 512mb of gddr3 memory, the hard drive is a 1 tb drive, and have 4gb ram and is upgradeable to 8gb, it also have Bluetooth and wifi connectivity, and the sd card slot so you can transfer photos from your digital camera to the imac. Overall there is nothing to complaint about the new apple imac all in one personal computer, my only complaint is how much the imac cost, if the price would be a little bit lower, and this would be the best desktop computer on the market period.

Awesome Deal!!!!!!!

from Enid, OK

Comments about Apple iMac 21.5-inch Desktop Computer:

I have recently remarried and my new wife already owned an old imac, we recently purchased our new mac because the old one was a little outdated, being that it was almost a decade old. She informed me that it had never had any issues that she could not solve very quickly. when we looked for a new one, we didnt get past the new mac. I am a barely literate user that had never used a mac before remarrying, the thing was a breeze to learn. the new one that we bought has not ceased to amaze me at its speed and ease of use, the wireless mouse and keyboard is a must. and an airport base station if your going wireless. It was a little more pricey than if we had bought a run of the mill pc, but when i think of all the hassles i had with pc's in the past the 21.5 inch was wisest choice. i recommend mac computers to everyone i know!!!!! ( and i guess now,.. to a bunch of people i dont know. Ha Ha!!!)

I love the iMac!!!

from Inglewood, CA

Comments about Apple iMac 21.5-inch Desktop Computer:

I loveeee the iMac. I am currently writing this review on one. I love that is very to use and the resolution of and high quality images it produces. I was very skeptical of the price of this machine, but believe it is worth every penny. This computer has not frozen on me in over a year! I had my fair share of PC computers laptops Dell Compac and HP and none of them have left me as satisfied as the iMac has done with me. First of all it is the most attractive object in my house once anyone comes into the living-room the first thing that  always get complimented for is having a nice home office. The iMac brings such a sophisticated vibe into my home. On it I can seach the web and and use countless programs on it. The only reservations I have for the iMac are the accessories it came with in its package. The keyboard is small for whatI am use to and for overusage I did ruin the mouse but I got a bigger size keyboard and different mouse both from Mac computers so my computer still looks in one piece.

Good all-in-one overall.

from Owingsville, KY

Comments about Apple iMac 21.5-inch Desktop Computer:

I recently saw a sale on this and sold my old desktop in order to buy this. As of now, it's turned out to be a pretty good buy.

Like I previously mentioned in a MacBook review, Apple is renowned for its quality. Not only do their products look professional, but they are built to last. Knowing this, the iMac exceeds in this also. The aluminum is beautiful and stays cool. Also the screen is very vibrant and videos/images look really nice on it.

Performance is okay, but Apple is always a generation or two behind, hence the subpar CPUs (compared to PCs on the market now) and graphics cards. Also, it runs a little warm, which worries me that it may overheat if I play a high end game or photoshop editing or something similar.

Is this the perfect all-in-one computer? I don't think so. It's a quality product, however, and worth buying if you're into music production, editing, or just want to experience Mac OS.

good apple desktop

from Huntington Beach, CA

Comments about Apple iMac 21.5-inch Desktop Computer:

If you like apple coimputers then you will like this desktop.  It is always nice to have both a laptop and a desktop computer and this apple desktop will be a nice addition to your collection of apple technology.  One of the nice things about apple desktops is that the hard drive is in the screen and you do not need a different drive to go along with the monitor.  Apple desktops should not be bought if this is your first apple computer.  If you are going to buy your first apple computer, buy a laptop instead of a desktop.