View more laptops

Apple MacBook Pro 15-inch Notebook

Pros

Cons

• Speed/Performance:

The Apple Macbook Pro 15-inch is phenomenal.

I will admit I was always skeptical to move to a Mac. Like most mostly PC Users I was downright against it. But I was so fed up the PC laptops from varying companies that I decided why not?  The Apple Macbook Pro 15-inch, was a lot wider than I thought it would be.  But once I opened it, I was stunned by the quality of graphics.  From the moment that introduction to the Mac OSX software Snow Leopard to the sheer sound, which the sound quality was amazing, I was blown away.  Then I had to get used to very smalll things, which was easy to be honest, and I'm not as computer challenged as the next guy, but I can hold my own when learning a new the basics on a new platform.  Learning and using the Macbook was a piece of cake.  Transitioning to a Macbook from years of being only on a pc was so simple.  Sure I had to buy all new software for the mac, separate from the pc stuff I had.  But It was very worth it.  It ran so smoothly.  It has been near a year since I bought it and it is still going as fast as when I bought it. Where as the PCs I once had tended to slow down after a few months and I have not changed how I use my computer either.

The Tech support to go with the Macbook is also top quality.  You can call Apple Care, and for the most part, they will guide you through easy steps to fix whatever may be wrong.  I will admit those few times I had to call, were because of my own stupidity.  But they are nice about it.  They do not make fun, even if you can here the laughter in their voice as they say to press such and such keys.  Like this one time I thought I really messed up my Macbook, because the whole screen was zooming in to one box.  Turned out there is a way to do that and zoom out.  I just didn't know the keystrokes.  Again...stupidity on my part.

The only con for hardware issues  is when you keep the laptop plugged with the power chord all the time.  It tends to mess with the battery or logic board, or so I am told.  You will have the laptop plugged i with the power chord and if you accidentally unplug it, the entire laptop will shut down.  I had to go to the Genius bar at my local Apple store and had to wait five days for my laptop to get fixed. The first time they could not replicate the problem and therefore could not fix it. The second time I had to show them the problem and explain my habits before the problem occurred and then physically show them what it was doing, then they realized what was wrong.

On the downside even further,  It's not compatible to a lot of software out there that most novice users like to use.  Like winamp, I can't use it on a mac.  Some software out there that I learned to use on a PC, I can't use on a Mac either.  For instance I learned how to make databases on Access, and the Microsoft people, did not make Access for Macs as part of the Office package.  Which was just my luck.  I had to learn Apple's counterpart to that program which is daunting in and of it self.  The terminology difference had me confused.  Even now I jump to a local library to work on Access rather than struggle with the Apple equivalent.

The Macbook itself is pretty durable, I have banged it a couple of times and it has survived.  Sure if you do that on most PC laptops it will scratch or dent or even just damage the hard drive too, but with the Macbook it does not.  I think, I have one scratch, maybe, from all those times.  So it's lasted my clumsy drops and swings pretty well.

Also the way the Macbook is built is the greatest part, the seamless build.  Obviously you're not supposed to get water near an electronic equipment, but even if it's just by mistake like a drop goes flying. That stray drop is not going to phase the laptop.  I bet you could dry it up easy peasey no problem before it causes any "water damage."

Another plus is the automatic sensor for the back-light to dim or brighten.  Right next to the web camera is a sensor to adjust the lighting on the screen to match the enviornment's lighting so it's not too bright in a dark room and not too dark in a bright room.  It come sin handy when you're moving from one room to the next or are in a darkened lecture hall.  Rather than disturbing your neighbors before realizing you have to dim it down, it does it for you, automatically.  I found that rather pleasing the first time it happens.  Even entertained myself by moving closer to the sensor to darken the environment and moving out to brighten it.

The battery dies down fast when you have the back-light on too bright for too long.  But you can set the power settings to power-saver.  But that hardly does it.  When using it, the battery on the Macbook will last a good maybe three to four hours before you have to use the power chord.  The battery life is what i consider the real con.  My PC laptops before would last five to six sometimes seven hours before needing the power chord plugged in.

I am very disappointed

I hate to write this. From day one I have been a MAC fan, however my last TWO MAC laptops have been real disappointments.  .This one I have had for just over a year. One day I had just turned it on and was writing an email, I didnt have any other programs running, and BAM! it just sizzled. Hard drive completely crashed,  the screen went grey and I got the LAST thing you ever want to see on your computer...a frowny monitor icon!

I have been extemely easy on this piece of equipment, minimal use and I have taken great care of it (especially after what happened to my LAST MAC laptop). There is an Apple store where I live, but it has been a nightmare trying to deal with this. There is a waiting list to get an appt to see someone about it, the place is always packed I was 10 min late for my appt  due to the parking situation and they gave it away, the next appt was the next day and I have a job and stuff I cant just go all the way across town to this madness whenever.

It is frustrating. My boyfiend spent less than HALF of what I did for his pc laptop (HP maybe?) and he got a MUCH nicer computer all around AND his works famously and he is horrible to it.

I feel ripped off....sorry Apple

Amazing!

from Carol Stream, IL

Comments about Apple MacBook Pro 15-inch Notebook:

This has got to be the best the best laptop on the market! Possibly the most expensive too. But I would say its worth the money. You don't have to worry about virus protection and it never runs slow. Battery life is good. Durability is good! Overall it's a great product!

• Speed/Performance:

I will NEVER go back to a PC!

Comments about Apple MacBook Pro 15-inch Notebook:

I LOVE MY MAC! I will NEVER go back to a PC. What's ironic, is when the first "Bondi Blue" iMac G3 was introduced in 1998, I immediately ordered one. I loved it. My family loved it so much, it became an argument as to who's turn it was to use. We needed another computer and decided, at the time, that we would go to a PC, mainly because Apple was still trying to catch up in the software/applications department. We ended up going thru four PCs, one never lasting more than a couple of years. Each time we needed a new computer, we didn't have the money to put into an Apple. Finally, it was a friend of mine that said, just make the investment (especially since I was so unhappy with our PCs) and you will no doubt save money in the long run. The Apples last much longer so you are not having to replace the computer every two years. He was right. I've had my MacBook Pro for 4 years and it is still like new . . . NO problems, whatsoever. The only thing I have had to replace is the power cord (and that was my fault), and the replacement came the day after I requested it.

Fortunately, Apple has not only caught up, but surpassed (in my opinion) the PC world when it comes to software/applications . . . I cannot say enough good things about the line of Macintosh computers. I had two laptops before my MacBook Pro and battery life enough, was a reason to make me want to switch. The battery lasts anywhere from six to ten hours, fully charged. On my PCs (I am really trying not to use any brand names) the battery never lasted more than 2 or 3 hours. I have never had trouble with system crashes, the speed is what it should be, Apple Service is the best around, you will never find a more user-friendly computer, the support sites out there are phenomenal, the sleek design is gorgeous but not inhibiting, and there is not a more durable computer around. I highly recommend this computer to anyone and everyone, no matter what technological skills you may have, no matter if you are a beginner or advanced. I cannot imagine anyone being disappointed with it.

Thank you, Apple, for caring enough to make a product that I not only love and depend on, but one that I know I can get all my questions answered in layman's terms, without feeling inadequate or ignorant. You are worth every penny!

There is no other computer out there that is more user-friendly!

Battery Life
The best!

Support & Service
WONDERFUL! I have used their support desk several times and have always gone away feeling like my questions were answered in terms that I understood, without feeling as though I was wasting their time.

Speed/Performance
Exactly how it should be. I have zero complaints! Of course, we all want everything "yesterday" but that's not possible. Performance is absolutely tops!

My absolute favorite! The design is beautiful, modern, functional, not intimidating, and user-friendly.

Wonderfully strong and durable. I have 3 daughters that use my laptop, nephews who use it when they are over, and several of my daughters' friends. You would never know how much it's used. It still works like it did brand new!

Always upgrade to a Mac.

from Fairfield, CT

Comments about Apple MacBook Pro 15-inch Notebook:

If you want fewer software and hardware issues, buy a Mac always. When our child needed a laptop for school, we bought what we knew would be a laptop that never disappoints.

Set-up is always a breeze with this Mac. You can set it and then forget it. It communicates with any network or added peripherals when added.

Battery Life
Battery life is good but not excellent.

Support & Service
I have never had to use Apple service, but others who have, liked their service.

Speed/Performance
Blazing fast computational speed is what you can expect with this Mac. The graphics display plays crisp videos and games.

Sleek and thin design makes this laptop very easy to carry around.

Like most laptops, care should be used around it.

• Speed/Performance:

TRUE LOVE - i can't live without it!

from Boston, MA

Comments about Apple MacBook Pro 15-inch Notebook:

Some products are works of genius. That's my mac. It is reliable, it is solidly built, secure, versatile, slim, elegant, easy on the eyes. I originally bought it because I needed to use software that would only run on the mac operating system. I was a windows person and was really intimidated (and upset) about having had to make the change. now i can't imagine ever going back. The battery on the mac holds a charge for a good 4 -5 hours. despite it being several years old. there are no flimsy plastic parts on the body - it's all aluminum. the screen is wide and spacious and crisp. the laptop comes with a host of ports all neatly arranged on the left, and a disk drive on the right, yet is slim and flat. the power button is unobstrusively placed on the top right - you can hit it accidentally when moving the laptop so be careful. and the webcam is discreetly hidden right on top of the screen. best part: the fan is built into the hinge of the laptop, rather than under the laptop - so no worries about vents getting blocked. I LOVE IT!

Forever a Mac

from Capac, MI

Comments about Apple MacBook Pro 15-inch Notebook:

I have had my MacBook Pro for a while now, but I never get tired of singing its praises. I was hesistant to switch to a Mac, but I am so glad I did. Once you get used to the trackpad and the way everything works, which for anyone with any computer experience shouldn't take long, it is the easiest thing to use. Everything flows together so easily. It doesn't get bogged down with too many things running and there is no problems with spyware or viruses. Updates to the system are as easy as downloading an app, it practically installs itself while saving all of your current data and settings.

Great computer!

Comments about Apple MacBook Pro 15-inch Notebook:

Let me start by saying that Mac's are generally awesome! I love how it is user friendly, especially since I am no technology wizard. The updates on it have been very easy to complete. The only complaint would be that I don't think the battery life is very good. I'm not sure if I just got a bad one or what...but it seems like I have to recharge quite often. Other than that, it's great!!

keyboard

from Cassville, NY

Comments about Apple MacBook Pro 15-inch Notebook:

This is my first macbook :) I feel bad that I haven't bought it earlier, cuz I luuuuv the keyboard so much! My last notebook was acer, in comparison to mac it sucks sooo bad!

The hud is so nice and opens so smooth...

Speed/Performance
Photoshop is running 10x faster than on my previous WIN notebook...

• Speed/Performance:

no more microsoft for me!

from Midland, TX

Comments about Apple MacBook Pro 15-inch Notebook:

My birthday/Christmas present this year was a 15" MacBook Pro and I am in love. It was an easy transition from my old desk top PC to this mobile lap top. I love photography and this computer has been able to keep up where the Dell could not. I already had an iPhone so utilizing the touch pad was not difficult. I now hate using my husband's work lap top which is run on Windows. Blah!! I love how I can connect my iPhone and stream my music easily and the battery life is great. In the past 6 months, I've had no technical issues either. The only thing that bugs me is how other companies are swallowed up by Microsoft and I'm unable to get software. Such as I have a Sony video camera and it is not compatible with my MacBook? And my children have a Fisher Price computer keyboard and it is not compatible either. I don't blame Apple though!

I Love my MacBook Pro

from Plainfield, IL

Comments about Apple MacBook Pro 15-inch Notebook:

I have been a MacBook Pro user for last five.I bought my Mac Book Pro 2.53 GHZ laptop about 6 months back. Since I started using this state of art machine have looked back or thought about using a PC based machine. I like the style of this laptop, battery life is great. Never have to worry about virus, such a peace in my life.I do use a lot of VMWare images on my machine and I wish if could expand its memory size to 16 GB. Apple needs to do something about, I do see a lot of my co-workers complaining about this limitation on Apple Mac Book Pro notebooks.Another con I have have observed that at this machine can get really hot specially while charging.Other than that it works really great, no machine crashing issues as I always had with PC notebooks

Quality Notebook

from Panorama City, CA

Comments about Apple MacBook Pro 15-inch Notebook:

When searching for a portable computer, a few things that are certainly important to keep in mind, but the most vital aspect is portability (quite obvious, actually). The item needs to be durable, have a long-lasting battery life, be lightweight, and have a large enough structure to not be a strain on the eyes. The Apple 2.53GHz 15" MacBook Pro Notebook completes and achieves each of these aspects admirably. It is to be expected as Apple puts forth quality, family-friendly, easy-to-use products for the masses (and at such exorbitant prices, they had better to so). You are paying for quality, and quality is exactly what you receive in this product: the glossy 15 inch widescreen display is a godsend.