Other Laptops:
Apple
MB061LL/A
Apple MacBook Notebook

Apple MacBook Notebook

Pros

• Fast (8)
  • Comfortable keyboard (7)
  • Lightweight (7)
  • Long battery life (7)
  • Good power output (6)

• Business use (7)
    • Battery Life:
    • Support & Service:
    • Speed/Performance:
    • Reviewer Profile:
    • Avid gamer (8), Multimedia professional (5), Tech savvy (4), Technically challenged (3)
    • Personal (8)
    • I received a sample (9), I am an employee or otherwise affiliated with the brand (5)

Ten Reasons To Love The Apple Macbook

My first personal computer was an Apple SEII. Self-contained, 8" screen, no graphics, green text on a black background. I think it had a 512K hard drive. I kid you not. I then moved on to a PowerMac. Eventually, I was forced to use an IBM-based PC, for professional reasons.

Now, all these years later, I'm back to Mac, and thrilled about it. I love my new Macbook. Here are some reasons why:

1) The MAC interface. Remember when people stood in line to buy Windows 95, because it was new and innovative? We Mac lovers had a laugh at that. Windows 95 was just a rip-off of the user-friendly, drag-n-drop interface Mac had been using for ages. All these years later, Microsoft still hasn't managed to keep up with how easy the guys at Mac make it to do things. With a Mac, everything is right before your eyes, and it's gorgeous to look at.

2) The magnetic cord. You know how, if your laptop is plugged in and sitting on a table, someone might easily knock it over and break it if they pass by and trip on the cord? The guys at Apple noticed this, and it annoyed them, so they deiced to design a fix. The Macbook's cord is magnetic. It doesn't click in and lock, it holds fast to the laptop with a magnet, but not tight enough to take the laptop with it if some klutz passes by and trips over the cord. Know what happens if you trip over your Macbook's cord? It gently pulls way from the laptop and disconnects - no damage.

3) Size matters! The Macbook is sleek and compact. It's thin and actually fits in my handbag. I can't say that about my HP laptop.

4) Long live the battery: My HP laptop has a pathetic battery that lasts just over 2 hours when using a word processor, but can't even stay powered up long enough for me to watch an entire dvd. Lame. My Macbook? Its battery lasts anywhere from 4-6 hours, depending on how many programs I run. I can watch two whole dvds, and then some, on one battery charge.

5) Cat scratch fever: Mac's scratch pad rocks. If I want to scroll down a long page, there's no need to keep pressing the bar: the pad recognizes the difference between one finger and two. Two fingers gently moving down the scratch pad=scoll down. I love it! No left click/right click. It's all easy as can be.

6) The dock: Mac's dock is great. You know how, on a PC, if you're looking for an app, you usually have to go to the bottom left-hand corner, click, and then got to "applications", and then look around for the right program? Forget about all that! On the Mac, you just move your cursor tot he bottom of the screen (or the left or the right - wherever you want the dock to live) and the dock appears. What's the dock? It's a user-friendly, great-looking, icon-based version of "my apps." With one move of the cursor, everything you need is at your disposal.

7) Widgets: This is exactly what it sounds like: cool, little apps that you may not need, but they sure are fun to have. Mac offers tons of widgets for free download. They even welcome Widget development by computer geeks. I love Widgets. Some great computer geek in San Francisco decided there needed to be a real-time Widget to let San Franciscans know when then their next Muni bus was due. One click, and I can see that there will be a 17 bus in front of my house in 4 minutes, and another in 22 minutes. There's a Widget that tracks flights from any airline. One click, and I can find out if my flight is leaving on time. There's even a MadLibs Widget. There are Widgets for just about everything.

8) The Magic Eye: Every Macbook comes with a built-in camera. Totally unobtrusive, the camera is nothing but a wee square built right into the screen. The resolution is gorgeous. Perfect for doing video conferencing or creating a video blog. Oh, did I mention that it's not just a still camera, but a movie camera? With a few clicks you can film yourself and automatically upload your film to Youtube. Oh, yeah, the mike is built-in, as well.

9) I-Chat, you chat: Forget about AIM or MSMChat. Every Macbook comes with Ichat built right in. Nothing to download. Take your new laptop out of the box, turn it on, click on I-Chat, and you're good to go. You can use it for text-only chat, or for chat accompanied by video feed, and it comes with cool skins and options. When doing a video chat, you can set it up to look like you're in an Andy Warhol poster, or in the middle of the ocean, or a dozen other places. Totally fun.

10) Integration: Everything in a Mac works together. There's no need to open five different apps when putting together a newsletter. Graphics, texts, charts....it's all doable in one app. It all works together, because few things in real life stand alone. I love that.

Great middle-of-the-road laptop

I am a graphic designer and as such, I need a powerful Mac. However, there are times that I need to bring my work with me. I couldn't justify purchasing the top-of-the-line iBook, though. I just don't take my work around with me THAT much. So this iBook is (almost) perfect. First off, if you do any gaming or graphics work, this machine should NOT be your primary computer. I am almost driven to tears waiting for InDesign to launch (working in my normal mode — having Illustrator and Photoshop open as well — brings me and the machine to it's knees). However, the reason why I love this machine is for the simple reason that it's portable. Duh. I know, but it really changed my life. Having the wireless accessibility has allowed me to have a machine on both floors of my house. It really is a game changer. I have to confess, I haven't touched a PC in years. I really am no longer a good judge of how the two operating systems compare anymore. The one thing that I do know is that Apple makes good machines. I've used them ever since I started using a computer and the operating systems always feels "better", more intuitive. If you have trouble on a PC, try a Mac (if your'e willing to put up with the price premium, more on that in a sec). If you're an ace on a PC, it's been my experience that those people don't "get" the Mac. You're already used to the way things are done on a PC. When it comes to price, no matter what Steve Jobs says, Macs still can't compete. You will always find a lower priced, comparably equipped PC. However, I will say this: Macs are more than just a pretty face. When you compare the QUALITY of the parts to a similar PC, you will find that the price gaps closes significantly (and, in some cases, the Mac may win). Plus, with the new wave of PC to Mac software (and the Mac's own, internal dual boot capability) the old way of thinking — use a PC at work, need a PC at home — isn't as sticky. In summary, this is a good, basic machine. You can, if you've got the time, do some graphics work on it, but again, I wouldn't make this my primary machine for that. Instead, this is a great internet, word processor, spreadsheet, etc. machine. Perfect for business or the sometimes designer.

i prefer this apple macbook because it has long battery life

from ALG el bayadh rue guettafe mouhamed 991

About Me Avid Gamer, Multimedia Professional

Pros

• Comfortable Keyboard
  • Fast
  • Long Battery Life
  • Powerful

Comments about Apple MacBook Notebook:

i like it because it is small and quiet with long battery life

• Personal

It is a nice device and an excellent and distinctive

from Mm.sh

About Me Avid Gamer, Multimedia Professional, Technically Challenged, Tech Savvy

Pros

• Comfortable Keyboard
    • Fast
    • Lightweight
    • Long Battery Life
    • Powerful
    • Quality Display

Comments about Apple MacBook Notebook:

It is a nice laptop and it's a good l like this

nice and very good

from LIBYA - TRIPOLI +218

About Me Avid Gamer

Pros

• Fast

Cons

• Short Battery Life

no coments

Its amazing device

from shareeelsanwia, Egypt, matrouh 10

Pros

• Comfortable Keyboard
      • Fast
      • Lightweight
      • Long Battery Life
      • Powerful
      • Quality Display
      • Quiet

Cons

• Too Hot

great

ahmed hmaeed

from iraq

About Me Avid Gamer, Tech Savvy

Pros

• Lightweight
      • Long Battery Life
      • Quality Display

Cons

• Poorly Designed Keyboard

it is Device cooooooooool

• Business

It is the best labtob ever

from San jose

About Me Avid Gamer

Pros

• Fast
      • Lightweight

Cons

• Poorly Designed Keyboard

Comments about Apple MacBook Notebook:

I wouls use it is in develop apps and for work

i say opinion

from kuwait

About Me Avid Gamer

Pros

• Comfortable Keyboard
      • Lightweight
      • Quality Display

Cons

• Short Battery Life
      • Too Hot

Comments about Apple MacBook Notebook:

it is excellent as a laptop computer is easy to usse

wow

from egypt

Pros

• Comfortable Keyboard
      • Fast
      • Long Battery Life
      • Powerful
      • Quiet

Cons

• Freezes Up

Comments about Apple MacBook Notebook:

it's a good device. I liked it.

Just love it

from california

About Me Multimedia Professional

Pros

• Comfortable Keyboard
      • Fast
      • Lightweight
      • Long Battery Life
      • Powerful
      • Quality Display

It's. So.simple to.use powerful system
        And great in doing many jobs really love it

from https://www.viewpoints.com/reviews/new?p

Pros

• Comfortable Keyboard
        • Fast
        • Lightweight
        • Long Battery Life
        • Powerful
        • Quality Display

Comments about Apple MacBook Notebook:

Apple Address Book, Apple iCal, Apple iChat AV, Apple iLife '06, Drivers & Utilities, Freeverse Big Bang Board Games, Front Row, Microsoft Office 2004 for Mac Test Drive, OmniOutliner, iWork (30 days trial), plasq Comic Life, Apple DVD Player, Apple Dashboard, Apple Hardware Test, Apple Mac OS X Mail, Apple QuickTime, Apple Safari, Apple Spotlight, Apple XCode Developer ToolsThis is a great laptop. First, let me say, I'm a software developer, so I'm very particular about my computers. I was in the market for a new laptop. After a lot of shopping around, I went with a laptop from HP for around $700. It was my first PC with Vista, and it was frustratingly slow. Here's an example... Put your laptop into sleep mode. Come out of sleep mode, and how long does it take to connect to your WiFi network? The HP laptop would take about 45 seconds while the macbook takes less than 5 seconds. It's a small detail, but it's the tip of the iceberg.

So, after I purchased my HP laptop, my wife bought a macbook. I was so impressed, I took mine back and got my own macbook. The battery is great. I haven't timed it yet, but it's easily over three hours. The LCD is great. You don't get all that bloatware that comes with a new PC (like antivirus software that you can't seem to delete) that fills up your new hard disk. And, there's no need to even worry about antivirus software since 99.9% of viruses are designed for Windows.

As for performance, these macbooks are plenty zippy. And, yes dual core does make a difference. If you like to multitask (browse the web while playing mp3 music), then you'll notice the difference. The user interface is more responsive during heavy loading. Just for fun, I took a program I wrote for work and ran it on my new macbook. (I won't bore you with the details of what it does, but it's CPU intensive.) On the HP laptop, the program took about 13 minutes to run. On the macbook, it took 3 min, 30 seconds. Just for fun, I ran the same program on a fully loaded Dell 820 ($3000), and it finished in about 3 minutes. So, I'm very pleased with the performance of this macbook.

And, there are great open source (free) applications you can get for Mac OS X now. So, I quickly installed Firefox, Thunderbird (email), NeoOffice (MS Office replacement), Chicken of the Sea (VNC client), XAMPP (Apache/PHP/MySQL), Transmission (BitTorrent), Burn (CD/DVD burner), and Eclipse (Java development).

The only way they could improve this macbook would be to bundle the DVD writer in the entry-level model instead of a combo drive (CD writer, DVD reader). It's not an issue with me since I have many other DVD writers on my LAN, but others may want to purchase the next model up that comes with the DVD writer.