View more laptops

Apple MacBook " Notebook

Pros

Cons

• Speed/Performance:

Apple MacBook Pro 17" is a computer I would buy again!

I currently use the Apple MacBook Pro 17" it is a great computer! Since I am a graphic designer I find that this computer has the ability for me to use all of Creative Suite 3 simultaneously without any of the programs crashing! As with all Apple products it is easy to set up various work stations on one computer for various users. The updating process is super easy as well and allows you to omit items that you don't need. I love the fact that you can customize your desktop and also set actions to do things that you do repeatedly to save you time and work more efficiently. This computer has the complexity to do whatever you want but is also a great computer for those that aren't computer geeks, such as the baby boomer generation. I bought my mom one for christmas a few years ago and it has worked out great for her for what she needs and the best part is if she has any issues I am able to talk her through it and she can make the neccessary adjustments to continue working on the computer. Another feature that is so great is the ability to plug and play almost any hardware you can dream of. If you are looking for a reliable computer that is worth the money, look no further.

Newer Macbook Pro is better

I am not as impressed with this computer as i thought i would be. The trackpad & click part is harder compared to the newer Manbook's is very heard to deal with,the computer looks better than the Macbook's with the black keyboardI preffer the newer Macbook Pro 2.6 c ompared to this one. The price for this back when i bought was rediculous! Prices for the new ones are much better,i  reccommend buying a new Macbook,better.

excellent

from excellent

About Me Avid Gamer, Multimedia Professional, Technically Challenged, Tech Savvy

Pros

• Comfortable Keyboard
  • Fast
  • Lightweight
  • Long Battery Life
  • Powerful
  • Quality Display
  • Quiet

Cons

• Freezes Up
  • Heavy
  • Poorly Designed Keyboard
  • Short Battery Life
  • Slow
  • Too Hot

• Business Use
  • Graphics
  • Music
  • Video
  • Web Browsing
  • Word Processing

excellent

• I am an employee or otherwise affiliated with the brand

Apple Macbook Pro is the best computer I have ever owned

from Fremont, CA

Comments about Apple MacBook " Notebook:

We purchased this computer for my husband who does graphic design and website design. He needed something that would work well with all the high end software he needed to run and have a great ease of use. We had been PC users our whole lives but we felt it was a good time to convert. We bought it through the Apple site and had it shipped to the store. Easy process got the help we needed. Great purchase. Overall it will cost you more than the average laptop but this if this is your only computer, like it is for us, it is a great investment that will last you a really long time. Can't say the same for our last HP laptop that lasted about 1.5 years and then bugged out. I know people using Macbooks from 5+ years ago and have no problems.

Support & Service
We purchased Apple Care but haven't had to use it.

outstanding

from Dayton, OH

Comments about Apple MacBook " Notebook:

I was working on my apple pro, with only one program open when I the battery was running low. I plugged it in the wall and the orange light on the little the plug that goes in the machine lit up. But the battery icon on screen didn't indicate any charging. When the orange light lights up on the plug it always starts charging! I turned it off and on again to get my work on a USB stick, but when I turned it on again it was only one 1% battery left so I had to turn it off..Now it has been plugged in for a long time and I can't turn it on. The mac appears to be sleeping but the screen is black... I tried taking the battery out and in again.. to no change. When I test the battery level by pressing the battery-tester-button down one dot is fully and an other is blinking.. Does anyone have any tips. I had my mac for about 3 years I haven't had any problems with this before. Where the outlet on the machine has a small dent in it and the so the plug doesn't sit as well in the machine as usual..

other than this problem i ecncountered. this is a great laptop. i really recommend it

The great company!

from Washington, DC

Comments about Apple MacBook " Notebook:

I love the products of apple. I have a macbook pro, an ipad and an ipod. The UI of apple is very cool. And it is easy to use. However, many excellent software can not run on the iOS.
I hope that there will be more and more software to be migrated.

Let us remember Steve Jobs!!!

It is very simple.

Battery Life
use 6 hours continuously

MacBook Pro 17

from New York, NY

Comments about Apple MacBook " Notebook:

It's (Still) Kind of Magic!
One dream one soul, one prize. (Queen,
The Aladdin Lamp with a Plated Genius; I come back to use a Mac(hintosh) after 25 years of PC DOS and Windows ( Windows 1 to 7 ), and it is straightforword to use as it was before.

• Speed/Performance:

Will never go back to windows!

from Fargo, ND

Comments about Apple MacBook " Notebook:

I bought a 17" MacBook Pro two years ago and have never been more satisfied with a computer or the customer service offered by this company!  After having the computer for almost two years the Videocard(?) went out.  With having AppleCare, I was able to mail in my computer and get it back within three days in like-new condition.  It was amazing!  My computer has had stable performance --comparing my computer to friends PCs who bought them at the same time my computer runs about twice as fast after two years!  I have been very impressed with its graphic capabilities, customer service, user-friendliness, ability to easily find files in the "finder" window.

The only things I have been unsatisfied with is how hot the battery charger gets after being used for a while--while I have never had it burn anything, it is a minor concern-- and the latch to keep the screen down broke after a few months (but was fixed with the applecare)

The Apple MacBook Pro 17" is a fun laptop to use.

from New Berlin, IL

Comments about Apple MacBook " Notebook:

I've had my MacBook Pro 17" for a full year now. It was purchased to replace a laptop PC that was on it's last legs and a desktop PC that was beginning to show signs of it's age. The original laptop has gone on to it's reward, but the desktop is still working fine. The reason for the purchase of an Apple rather than another PC was the bad information I had from geeks and techies I know about Vista.

it was a little scary to use the Apple at first, but I've grown to love it. The keyboard is much more comfortable than any PC laptop that I've used. Microsoft Office for Mac has been installed and a site on the Web was recommended to learn the new keyboard commands. I'm a keyboarder for way back and not a mouser. There are no compatability issues within Office between the PC and the Mac at all.

Not needing to purchase virus protection is a definite plus to my way of thinking. My Mac starts up very quickly and everything that's set to open does so in very little time. Over all, I'm enormously satisfied with my MacBook Pro; it's been pretty intuitive to learn on my own and there is terrific support available on the Web and in my local Apple Store.

The Apple MacBook Pro 17" is a good solid workhorse.

from Somerville, MA

Comments about Apple MacBook " Notebook:

The Apple MacBook Pro 17" is not a "laptop." Apple qualifies it as a notebook computer.  It actually gets far too hot sometimes to be held on a lap.  In any case, it is tempting to hold it on one's lap, as it is light and the same form factor as any laptop.  One will notice that the battery can become extremely hot while it is charging, and hot enough to become uncomfortable, and possibly cause burns.  At one time, the battery in my PC got so hot that it warped and deformed the case around it, making it difficult to click the mouse button until I was able to flex and bend the case back into reasonable shape.  I then replaced the battery.

Otherwise, I'm quite fond of this computer.  It is a fairly fast machine, cosidering that it was purchased new in 2006.  It was an expensive purchase at the time, but the computer has stood the test of time extremely well, I think.

One of the best features of this computer is the sleep mode.  This computer will go into sleep mode by simply shutting the lid.  It wakes up quickly when the lid is reopened.  For this reason, I rarely shut the computer off, unless I am taking it on a trip.  It very rarely requires rebooting.  When the computer wakes up, there is a brief time for it to restart, as it has to reestablish a wireless connection to the internet.

The display on this computer is one of the best.  I frequently watch HDTV on this machine, and I can also connect it to my television set using a DVI to HDMI adaptor cable.  Sometimes, while viewing particularly difficult to decode video, the computer can't keep up while driving two displays.  This is easily remedied by shutting off one of the displays (the computer) while watching the other (HDTV television).

The keyboard on this computer is just fine.  The keyboard backlighting was a feature unique to Apple when this first came out, but now others are doing it as well.

Some of the software problems with this computer are that the Airport WiFi doesn't always recognize my home access point as the preferred connection point and tries to connect with some of the other access points in the area.  This is easily corrected, but still a minor annoyance, as it does happen often.

There are several applications for which this computer excells.  I use it for all of the standard email (Thunderbird), web (Firefox) and word processing, spreadsheet, etc. (NeoOffice).  It is easy to install your own apps on a MacOS machine.  You simply download, click on the downloaded file to open a folder, then copy the app to the location of your choice (usually the Applications folder) to run it.  I have preferred Thunderbird / Firefox over the Apple Mail and Safari applications, but most people can make do with the Apple apps and not have to install new applications.  NeoOffice is the MacOS specific version of OpenOffice.org.  It includes Microsoft Office file compatibility for word processing (Word), spreadsheets (Excel), presentations (PowerPoint) files as well as supporting the new Open Document Formats.  NeoOffice can also be used for typesetting mathematical formulas and doing simple drawings.  Updates are available frequently, and the price is right, as in "free."

Some of the other applications I use frequently on this computer are Audacity, the free audio editing application, Max, an audio file conversion and CD ripping app, Handbrake for transcoding video files, GIMP for photo editing and graphics, and VLC for playing and recording video and audio.  All of these are superb applications and all are available as free open source software.  Simply Google these to find versions of these apps for MacOS.

thebestmoviesoundtakeeverywherehardworkingpracticalbuddy

from Staten Island, NY

Comments about Apple MacBook " Notebook:

I own a MacBook Pro 17" and it is the best practical all around no nonsense laptop computer I have ever had in my entire lifetime of being able to afford a laptop. I have tried PC's and that taught me a lesson, once I thought I would try a Mac. Thinking nothing would be different but now I know better. I know that I would never own another PC and put up with all the hassle it takes to protect, to continuously purchase anti-virus packages and by the time I buy all the protection they change the status of what to sell you because of a so-called "new" virus.

I am a practical person and like my efficiency with the MacBook Pro and will not have it any other way! I like the way the intelligent design so simple and I must say that when I am in the public eye with my "jealous" buddies who have PC laptops they all seem to be interested in what kind of laptop I have. Now most of them are MacBook Pro users and I hear NO COMPLAINTS!!!

I love apple design, I am proud to carry the Apple MacBook Pro.

from Atlanta, GA

Comments about Apple MacBook " Notebook:

I love the MacBook Pro.  It has the best aesthetic quality of any and all computer lap tops.  I'm looking forward to owning the I Pad as that is the new standard of beauty.  But as for now,  and as far as laptops go, the macBook Pro is still fairest of them all.

The features that I use the most are Safari, Iphoto, Itunes and all the Microsoft Office options.

With safari, I enjoy all that the internet has to offer.  I spend hours on Facebook.  I quickly catch up with friends from High School, College and my long career.  The macBook Pro allows me to have several windows open at the same time.  If I so chose I could look at Facebook and Myspace at the same time.

I also use Safari for all my internet surfing.  Although the apple page is my home page (I like to keep up on all the new products and services), Google is a close second.

I do all my banking on the internet as well.

I look up restaurants and use google maps all the time.