3.4

3.4

Pros

Cons

• Available Plans:

A better than average choice for private health insurance.

I've been self-employed for over five years, so I'm extremely experienced in choosing and paying for my own health insurance.  I've moved around quite a bit during that time, and have been a customer with Anthem three times.  While paying for your own PPO is always going to be more expensive (unfortunately) than health insurance provided by an employer, I've been reasonably happy with the price and coverage that Anthem offers it's customers.

I've also been a lot happier with Anthem's customer service representatives than with any other insurance company I've used.  The few times I've had to contact Anthem concerning a problem or question with my account, I've always been put in touch immediately with A Real Live Person instead of talking to a machine or being put on hold for hours.  All the representatives I've spoken with have been very pleasant and professional, and able to fix any problem I may have had.

Anthem Plans are a Farce on the Public

I would have given it a zero rating if offered. We were forced to change policies after Obama Care went into effect and we pay $1,600/mo. for a 'Preferred Plan for my husband and me. I need shoulder surgery for which a deductible of $6,000 'in pocket' co-pay is required. While the plan paid for my initial ortho visit and plain xrays, it denied the $1,500 MRI that was done to reach a diagnosis. Nor did it pay for a cortisone injection or follow-up with the ortho. If you have a 'preventative' test done, it will pay for the initial test (Pap smear, mammography, colonoscopy, etc), but any further tests/surgeries will require the $6,000 deductible be paid. I don't know about you other middle class people, but $6,000 is a lot money for me! I can't afford the shoulder surgery, so I will continue to be in pain 24/7, but I will advise everyone I know about this farce perpetrated by the current government and heathcare industry.

Customer Service
They don't seem to know anything except what they read on the computer screen and wait time is a joke - plan on 30-45 minutes just to get to a 'real' person!

Available Plans
Ours is supposed to be the 'best' they offer - what a laugh!

Great health insurance

from Cleveland, OH

Comments about Anthem:

My husband's company had switched to this insurance and I was skeptical at first because our old insurance was good and I didn't want to change. Now that we have it and have used it for six months its been great and all our doctors are covered.

Customer Service
I haven't really had to call the customer service for any issues. I have called and done the automated service to try and find out if I needed a referral for my chiropractor. I got my question answered but I really don't like the automated service. I'd rather talk to a human being.

Available Plans
We have a family plan and all four of us are covered. We do have dental but it is with another company. We are able to see the same doctors we've been seeing so that was a huge relief. The only thing I wish would change is the fact that we do not get any coverage for my son's child psychologist. We see one because he has ADHD and uses behavior therapy to help him focus at school. I cannot get any payment for her sessions.

• Available Plans:

Good plan, but a lot of gaps.

from Elko, Nevada

Comments about Anthem:

I had an Anthem Blue Cross plan through my employer for about five years until they decided that they were going to go with a much worse company. Over the years, I was pretty satisfied with it and found that they were relatively easy to work with. The insurance did cover a lot of major things and fit all of our needs at the time. We did have a somewhat high deductible which made it hard to meet the deductible in a fast amount of time so that we did not have to pay out of pocket, but with five kids we always seemed to hit it before too long. There are a lot of holes in this insurance which I did not like, seeing a specialist was such a hard thing for them to cover, you had to jump through hoops and then they only wanted to cover very small amounts of things and questioned every test that I had to have and made it very hard for the doctor to be able to do what he needed. I had to end up paying for most specialized tests out of pocket as the insurance company did not think I needed them and that they were just a waste of money, I spent many hours on the phone with them trying to plead my case of why I needed something, as did my doctor. They were great for the basics, but they definitely left a bad taste in my mouth when it came to them covering anything that they thought would be too expensive.

Anthem Plans are a Farce on the Public

Available Plans
Ours is supposed to be the 'best' they offer - what a laugh!

Solid Plan

from Hartford, CT

Comments about Anthem:

I had Anthem Blue Cross for a short period of time at a previous job. Although I only had it for a matter of months I never experienced any issues.

The plan choices were limited but I'd expected that so I wasn't surprised and I did find one that worked for my needs.

All the claims for doctor visits and medications were paid right away and I never had to deal with bills from providers. I just paid my co-pay and never heard about it again.

I didn't have any hospital visits or surgeries during the short time I had their insurance but the services I did use them for they performed very well.

I never had to call Customer Service for any concerns since everything was paid on time and in full.

I'm not sure how things would be with the insurance long term, but since I did't experience any issues in the short term I can't imagine things would have changed.

Overall I was very pleased with the ease and simplicity of every process when dealing with them.

• Available Plans:

Easy to use for all my healthcare needs

Comments about Anthem:

I have had Anthem health insurance at my last two places of employment. I'm very healthy, so I only had to utilize them for my maintenance/ preventative care. I had no problems finding clinics/pharmacies to take this insurance. In addition, I work in a clinic and we accept it without problems. My flu shot was covered the past 2 years with no out of pocket cost to me. I get my Pap smear annually and it is covered. I have never had a huge cost for medications. I would recommend Anthem for anyone seeking quality healthcare coverage.

Customer Service
I have had no problems with getting through to a representative via phone. Have never had to hold very long and questions were answered promptly/thoroughly. I have also very easily used their website to see what my plan covered, look at formulary, find a covered providers and print a new copy of my insurance card.

Available Plans
My employer chose those, so no information on this.

Good Insurance Company, handles claims very quickly

Comments about Anthem:

I would highly recommend this insurance company to anybody who has a reasonable amount of money (it is slightly expensive) but wants a low-maintenance, hassle-free insurance experience. My family and I have been with this insurance company for about 10 years and we have never had a single problem with a claim going through. Their customer service is very nice and gets the job done very well. Also, there are a large variety of plans so you can get the plan that you need. All in all, if you have the money and want the most simplistic insurance experience possible, I would highly recommend Anthem.

• Available Plans:

A great insurance provider.

Comments about Anthem:

I signed up for my Anthem policy because I was working part-time and didn't have coverage available through my work. Thanks to Anthem's high deductible plans I was able to find a policy with a premium I could afford. I was also able to start an HSA (Health Savings Account) to start saving funds for when I would have to pay my high deductible. I also appreciate that my plan doesn't include a co-pay so I don't have to worry about how much I still owe my doctor until I get the bill in the mail. And the bill is always very reasonable with my Anthem negotiated discounts.

Customer Service
I purchased my policy through a local agent. This agent was the most friendly and helpful agent I have ever used. She took the time to listen to my concerns and help me find the best policy for my situation. Ever since I signed the paperwork she has always been just an email or phone call away if I ever have any questions.

Available Plans
I really appreciate the high deductible plans this company offers. Since the deductible is so high it makes my monthly premium very affordable.

• Available Plans:

Anthem is a company full of liers, theives, manipulators.

Comments about Anthem:

This is the biggest rip off of a health insurance company in the USA. They are liars and thieves do not buy their insurance.

Customer Service
They will lie to you and loose your paperwork and any excuses to screw you.

Available Plans
Over priced and they will not pay unless you sue them.

• Available Plans:

Anthem is okay coverage, high premiums for individuals.

from Roanoke, VA

Comments about Anthem:

We have had an individual policy through Anthem insurance for many years now. Of course like most things, the premiums have continued to rise at unreasonable rates in my opinion. The coverage is okay, but nearly $200 a month to insure a newborn seems a bit steep and unfair to me. They also have not increased their payout to dentists in many years, so my dentist dropped anthem and now I have to go somewhere else. Overall, Anthem is okay but just too expensive. I'm not sure how it compares to other things, but check out different policy types and deductible rates before you choose your plan.

For your sake... only see IN NETWORK PROVIDERS

from San Diego, CA

Comments about Anthem:

as long as you stay in network , you are good to go!

Available Plans
dont go out of network... if you do, the insurance company will send YOU the doctors check, and than YOU are responsible in paying the doctor... that sucks! Insurance is supposed to make life easier, not add more responsiblities to your plate. Wish Blue Cross would do their JOBS instead of expecting us to do THEIR job by sending us payment and having us cash check (if you can figure out whom it belongs to) and forward funds to that doctor... good luck peeps!