3.5

3.5

Pros

Cons

Cool website!

I recently took a college course in Sociology, more specifically race and ethnic group relations. For my final exam I got to choose between a few different projects. The one I ended up settling on was doing a family tree and writing a paper about what I found.
I started with the obvious and talked to my parents about what they knew about our ancestors. Unfortunately my grandparents have all passed away, so my parents were the oldest living relatives I had to ask. I got some good information, but to really do well on the exam I needed to dig deeper.
That was when I turned to Ancesty.com. I wasn't sure what to expect from Ancestry, but the site was fairly simple to navigate and I found relatives quite quickly. It gets a little confusing because there are lots of people with the same or similar names and when you start going back before the records were computerized there are lots of spelling errors.
I ended up being able to g back 6 generations on my mother's side and 5 on my father's.
Ancestry has a feature where it allows you to print a family tree out so I did and included it with my paper. I get extra credit for that too!
In addition to Ancestry.com I also used the free search feature that the Ellis Island website has. It's not nearly as comprehensive as Ancestry.com but it was helpful and interesting.

I really dislike this website

I am always skeptical about any online sites that claim they could find old records or background information or in this case your family tree. I've seen commercials for it a hundred times and since my father passed when I was younger, I didn't know a lot about his side. So it claimed to be able to find ancestors and a census with their names and so on. I decided to use it with what claimed to be a free preview I guess to show you it works, but it pretty much just shows a couple relatives names and then if you want any relevant information, you pay for it. So I put in my credit card and began using it. It wasn't horrible at first, but it was taking a long time to find some ancestors and they kept giving me wrong names and wrong information. But that's not what even made me cancel it. I get my credit card bill and see instead of charging me monthly which would have costed much less. I see a few hundred dollars charged to my account which is an annual fee that I never wanted. When I spoke to their customer service, it was nothing more than even more aggravation. They tried telling me that it what I signed up for when I clearly didn't. So I emailed my receipt showing they were liars and I was refunded my money after I had to deal with my bank. So thanks for nothing and in my opinion it's awful.

Terrible customer service

from Seattle, WA

Comments about Ancestry.com:

I ordered two kits; I wanted to return one, unopened. I went to website to find out how to do this. It says to call their 800 number; there is no way to activate the return via email. I called the number and was told the wait time is more than one hour. Not only that, ancestry deducts $25 from my refund, because "the DNA kit cannot be reused." I'm supposed to throw it away. An unopened kit, completely wrapped and sealed. I've been on the hold 15 minutes and I'm fuming. Terrible customer service.

Worse customer service EVER

from Ft. Collins, CO

Comments about Ancestry.com:

The website was truly awful....nothing worked...was on hold for over an hour....yes, really, over an hour and maybe when my problem was about to be resolved, i was disconnected.
I would not recommend this company to anyone...

Really Cool

from tx

Comments about Ancestry.com:

This is a really cool website. I love building my family tree. They have so many records you can also find on their website. I have found some of my living relatives that I didn't know even existed until I as building my family tree. Ancestry will show you other people's family trees if you have some common people on your family tree. I think it's really cool. They also make suggestions for the people added to your family tree. The only bad thing is sometimes when you have no idea if the suggestions are correct, especially when you go into later generations. But overall I loved this website, I learned a lot about my own family. It's easy to start your own family tree too. If you're creating your family tree that portion is completely free. But if you want documents such as marriage license etc, then you will have to pay a fee to access those records. I'd reccomend this to anyone who is interesting in learning about their family past.

I do notnot like the new format. takes me way to long

from Columbus, ne

Comments about Ancestry.com:

It takes me longer to do my research. I liked the old format better. It's alot easier for older people who aren't technical smart. You should have offered both sides then others could pick which one they wanted to use. It's to hard for me to recommend to a friend.

I really dislike this website

from Nesconset,ny

Bad customer service

Comments about Ancestry.com:

Very poor customer service. I have been a long time customer of Ancestry.com and yesterday (Cyber Monday) at 8:50 pm PST, I tried to purchase the Cyber Monday specials (the $79 for the DNA kit and the $79 for the Ancestry membership for my niece. When I entered all my nieces info (that I wanted a 6 month subscription and her email address), and then pressed BUY, the web site sent me to another page, asking me the same information. It kept doing this until about 9:05 pm PST, at which time the web site promotion changed to the christmas prices ($10 more). I called and explained everything and they refused to give me the better price.

I think they illegally took down the Cyber Monday deal before the end of the day, California time and I think that they need to treat your customers better by honoring your sales deals.

Comments about Ancestry.com:

Thanks to technology and this awesome website, you can now do a complete family tree and find out everything you possibly can about your family and ancestors. It is very easy to do since you can use the information you have and it will find and fill in the rest. I did this as a free trial to try it out and really enjoyed it. I know nothing about my maternal grandfather and very little about my father's side so this was neat to see war veterans and other cool people in my family.

It was simple to use, it basically tells you what to enter and if you do not know something you can just leave it blank.

Product Selection
They brought up family from both sides with very little information from me. I could see certificates of death and marriage, and pictures.

Product Pricing
It is very expensive if you choose to continue past the free trial. I can understand why since they are pulling up records, but I just couldn't pay hundreds to keep doing it.

Customer Service
They can answer any questions you might have.

Shipping and Returns
They do not offer refunds if you cancel your account.

Valuable Resource for Family History

Comments about Ancestry.com:

Ancestry.com is an awesome website if you are interested in learning about your family history. I initially signed up for their free two week trial so I could see if paying for a membership was actually worth the cost. The basic membership costs around $20 a month and you can get a discount if you pay the whole cost upfront as a six month membership. The broader memberships can go up to around $45 per month and that will get you access to more international records that aren't available on the basic membership. The records that are available on Ancestry.com are very extensive and easy to use. The best way to start off on this website is to use what you know with a recent ancestor and work your way back. The census records are clearly copied and easy to read giving a good place for most to start. Another nice tool with Ancestry.com is the ability to work with others that you may be related to. You can share your family tree and if others have information you need you can share and contact them. This is however optional and you can still keep your information private if you choose to.

Online Genealogy Database

from Vienna, Austria

Comments about Ancestry.com:

When I found Ancestry.com it was the first time I've seen genelogical database online. I started to research and found very important birth certificate from my great-great-grandmother. I thought that I would never find it. Now I have a complete family tree and I'm grateful to them. I realize that Ancestry doing very important job to preserve a part of history of our ancestors and I hope it will grow more and more. Website is also pretty nice with combination of past and modern design, maybe a little more pale, but that's not a problem. With Ancestry, I have the opportunity to look in my past and past of my ancestors from the comfort of my home and that's great.

Website is simply designed with good navigation and easy to use.

Product Selection
The largest genealogical database on the Internet.

Product Pricing
They charge a monthly fee of $34.99 for international researchers, but it is too expensive for the citizens of South America, Eastern Europe or Asia because the people in those parts of world have low salaries.

Customer Service
They are doing a great job.

Addicting

from Alabama

Comments about Ancestry.com:

This website is amazing for anyone looking to research your family history. I must caution that you may become so addicted that you spend hours upon hours doing research. What is interesting is that you can find copies of draft cards, census records, and even pictures of your ancestors. I have found pictures of grave sites and even the name of the cemetery that some of my family members were buried in. In the process of researching you can find family trees that others have made through the website that may include some of your family members. I was able to trace my family back to when they came over to the U.S. on ships. It is fun to see where you came from. Seeing the pictures of my ancestors is amazing. I wish I had known about the website years ago. I surprised my family at Christmas by giving them copies of the research I had done on ancestry.com and it was a hit.