3.6

3.6

Pros

Cons

Cool website!

I recently took a college course in Sociology, more specifically race and ethnic group relations. For my final exam I got to choose between a few different projects. The one I ended up settling on was doing a family tree and writing a paper about what I found.
I started with the obvious and talked to my parents about what they knew about our ancestors. Unfortunately my grandparents have all passed away, so my parents were the oldest living relatives I had to ask. I got some good information, but to really do well on the exam I needed to dig deeper.
That was when I turned to Ancesty.com. I wasn't sure what to expect from Ancestry, but the site was fairly simple to navigate and I found relatives quite quickly. It gets a little confusing because there are lots of people with the same or similar names and when you start going back before the records were computerized there are lots of spelling errors.
I ended up being able to g back 6 generations on my mother's side and 5 on my father's.
Ancestry has a feature where it allows you to print a family tree out so I did and included it with my paper. I get extra credit for that too!
In addition to Ancestry.com I also used the free search feature that the Ellis Island website has. It's not nearly as comprehensive as Ancestry.com but it was helpful and interesting.

I really dislike this website

I am always skeptical about any online sites that claim they could find old records or background information or in this case your family tree. I've seen commercials for it a hundred times and since my father passed when I was younger, I didn't know a lot about his side. So it claimed to be able to find ancestors and a census with their names and so on. I decided to use it with what claimed to be a free preview I guess to show you it works, but it pretty much just shows a couple relatives names and then if you want any relevant information, you pay for it. So I put in my credit card and began using it. It wasn't horrible at first, but it was taking a long time to find some ancestors and they kept giving me wrong names and wrong information. But that's not what even made me cancel it. I get my credit card bill and see instead of charging me monthly which would have costed much less. I see a few hundred dollars charged to my account which is an annual fee that I never wanted. When I spoke to their customer service, it was nothing more than even more aggravation. They tried telling me that it what I signed up for when I clearly didn't. So I emailed my receipt showing they were liars and I was refunded my money after I had to deal with my bank. So thanks for nothing and in my opinion it's awful.

I do notnot like the new format. takes me way to long

from Columbus, ne

Comments about Ancestry.com:

It takes me longer to do my research. I liked the old format better. It's alot easier for older people who aren't technical smart. You should have offered both sides then others could pick which one they wanted to use. It's to hard for me to recommend to a friend.

I really dislike this website

from Nesconset,ny

Bad customer service

Comments about Ancestry.com:

Very poor customer service. I have been a long time customer of Ancestry.com and yesterday (Cyber Monday) at 8:50 pm PST, I tried to purchase the Cyber Monday specials (the $79 for the DNA kit and the $79 for the Ancestry membership for my niece. When I entered all my nieces info (that I wanted a 6 month subscription and her email address), and then pressed BUY, the web site sent me to another page, asking me the same information. It kept doing this until about 9:05 pm PST, at which time the web site promotion changed to the christmas prices ($10 more). I called and explained everything and they refused to give me the better price.

I think they illegally took down the Cyber Monday deal before the end of the day, California time and I think that they need to treat your customers better by honoring your sales deals.

Comments about Ancestry.com:

Thanks to technology and this awesome website, you can now do a complete family tree and find out everything you possibly can about your family and ancestors. It is very easy to do since you can use the information you have and it will find and fill in the rest. I did this as a free trial to try it out and really enjoyed it. I know nothing about my maternal grandfather and very little about my father's side so this was neat to see war veterans and other cool people in my family.

It was simple to use, it basically tells you what to enter and if you do not know something you can just leave it blank.

Product Selection
They brought up family from both sides with very little information from me. I could see certificates of death and marriage, and pictures.

Product Pricing
It is very expensive if you choose to continue past the free trial. I can understand why since they are pulling up records, but I just couldn't pay hundreds to keep doing it.

Customer Service
They can answer any questions you might have.

Shipping and Returns
They do not offer refunds if you cancel your account.

Valuable Resource for Family History

Comments about Ancestry.com:

Ancestry.com is an awesome website if you are interested in learning about your family history. I initially signed up for their free two week trial so I could see if paying for a membership was actually worth the cost. The basic membership costs around $20 a month and you can get a discount if you pay the whole cost upfront as a six month membership. The broader memberships can go up to around $45 per month and that will get you access to more international records that aren't available on the basic membership. The records that are available on Ancestry.com are very extensive and easy to use. The best way to start off on this website is to use what you know with a recent ancestor and work your way back. The census records are clearly copied and easy to read giving a good place for most to start. Another nice tool with Ancestry.com is the ability to work with others that you may be related to. You can share your family tree and if others have information you need you can share and contact them. This is however optional and you can still keep your information private if you choose to.

Online Genealogy Database

Comments about Ancestry.com:

When I found Ancestry.com it was the first time I've seen genelogical database online. I started to research and found very important birth certificate from my great-great-grandmother. I thought that I would never find it. Now I have a complete family tree and I'm grateful to them. I realize that Ancestry doing very important job to preserve a part of history of our ancestors and I hope it will grow more and more. Website is also pretty nice with combination of past and modern design, maybe a little more pale, but that's not a problem. With Ancestry, I have the opportunity to look in my past and past of my ancestors from the comfort of my home and that's great.

Website is simply designed with good navigation and easy to use.

Product Selection
The largest genealogical database on the Internet.

Product Pricing
They charge a monthly fee of $34.99 for international researchers, but it is too expensive for the citizens of South America, Eastern Europe or Asia because the people in those parts of world have low salaries.

Customer Service
They are doing a great job.

Addicting

from Empire, AL

Comments about Ancestry.com:

This website is amazing for anyone looking to research your family history. I must caution that you may become so addicted that you spend hours upon hours doing research. What is interesting is that you can find copies of draft cards, census records, and even pictures of your ancestors. I have found pictures of grave sites and even the name of the cemetery that some of my family members were buried in. In the process of researching you can find family trees that others have made through the website that may include some of your family members. I was able to trace my family back to when they came over to the U.S. on ships. It is fun to see where you came from. Seeing the pictures of my ancestors is amazing. I wish I had known about the website years ago. I surprised my family at Christmas by giving them copies of the research I had done on ancestry.com and it was a hit.

Mixed feelings

from Moss Point, MS

Comments about Ancestry.com:

Ancestry.com offers a service with a unique niche. I don’t know of any company that offers the same resources for researching your own ancestry.
However, I do feel that it is incredibly expensive. I’m not a professional genealogist. I also cannot spend a lot of time working on it. Currently (as of this review’s date) their prices range from $19.99 to $44.99 per month to subscribe. On my limited income, that’s a lot for something that I may not have any time to use during the course of a month. Even planning ahead and planning on focusing time on research often goes wrong, resulting in my not getting the planned use.
Subscribing is easy though, and when you wish to cancel, it is not like a lot of companies that just keep on charging you, their charges actually stop. I never have had to call and dispute a charge that was made after I cancelled. Cancellation was always easy directly through the website.
Using Ancestry.com to research your family’s genealogy is easy and a lot more fun than I ever dreamed it would be. It’s very easy to spend hours reading through old records, even when they weren’t the ones you were hoping to find. It’s also easy to collaborate with others, which is a double edged sword. It’s also easy to import an error, especially if you have a particular ancestor with a duplicate name and date of birth. One definitely needs to use due diligence before importing those records.
There are also cool features that are more interesting, at least to me, than merely looking at dry bones records of births, deaths, marriages, and immigration. These were things like newspaper articles, obituaries, and family stories. Photos, such as those of your ancestors, as well as those of cemetery head stones, historical sites, etc., are also often shared when collaborating. This adds a lot of interest, and makes your ancestors come to life more than those dry bones records do.
It’s also interesting to see the actual records, albeit in a digital format. In many old records, it is actually your ancestor’s own handwriting, which is really kind of cool to see. It adds a lot to your research when you acquire these tidbits that may be entirely new to you. I saw things like my great-great-great grandfather’s grave stone, which turns out to be not far from where I am currently living. I also was able to read the obituary that was published in the local paper at the time of his death, another tidbit that really made me see this long dead man in a much more real life way.
While a family’s oral history may have stories, they are not always accurate. In my own case, the story about one great-grandfather’s immigration to the United States was completely inaccurate and total fiction. Finding his actual immigration record at Ellis Island ultimately spared me hours of searching for records that would never be found since the people didn’t exist. The same sort of thing happened with one of my great grandmothers. It turned out that she had siblings that I had never known anything about. Sometimes, the records end up leaving you with questions about your own ancestors’ morality and values, as well as their behavior. Some of these questions that have come up have not yet had answers that gave me the “why” to the things that they did.
For most Americans, tracing our genealogy is going to require further research into foreign records. For this, Ancestry.com charges an additional fee. So far, I’ve not done extensive research in those records, although I did have brief access when Ancestry.com offered access free of charge. I never felt that I could justify the additional fees when I had so much research to do that was still within the United States.
I wish that Ancestry.com had lower prices—I’d probably still be subscribed, because I did find the research absolutely fascinating. I’m curious about my ancestors and why they did what they did, why they chose to live in one area or another, as well as why they opted to move to other areas. I will probably subscribe again when I feel I will be more likely to have the time to do the research again, as well as can afford the fees.
They are also offering a new feature that uses your DNA as a source of information. I do know someone that has used this portion of Ancestry.com and I would be interested in possibly doing that as well.
If you can afford both the subscription fee and have the time to devote to the project, it is worthwhile. I definitely enjoyed using their site in conjunction with Family Tree software. The only real negative is the subscription fee being rather high if you only get to research for a couple of hours during a month.

Shipping and Returns
There is no shipping of a product. This is strictly a subscription service, so this is based on how easy it is to cancel the subscription. I had no problems at all doing this.

ancestry.com reviews.

Comments about Ancestry.com:

Very frankly. If I wanted to upgrade my membership, I could get the help. Because I do not want to upgrade, the site does not work. Nothing on this overpriced site works for me. Again, if I wanted to upgrade my membership, there would be no problem period. Again, because I don't want to upgrade, I get 0 help on line. Everything that I search for, comes out with 0 results, as in "it ain't there".

Too confusing

Product Selection
Always wanting to sell you something.

Product Pricing
Need to redo all their product pricing. This company is more interested in you buying some garbarge from their site, then they are helping you with researching on line.

Customer Service
It sucks folks. You might be on the phone over an hour trying to get customer service. If they don't hang up on you, when you tell them, you want to cancel your subscription, you are lucky.

Fun for finding family

from Utah

Comments about Ancestry.com:

We got curious about finding our ancestors and family history about a year ago, and we have had fun using ancestry.com to find and record some of the information on our family. We have been able to trace both my family and my wife's family back into the 1600's. With access to some historical records that come through a paid account with ancestry.com, we were able to find the exact year of the birth of my great-grandfather, information that my family had a rough idea of (between a couple years), but that we could now find on a draft record that he had filled out himself. Ancestry.com gave us access to a scanned copy of the original draft card (which would now be in public records, but this made it easier to find).

It takes awhile to sort through and enter family information, but ancestry.com can match information that you enter on a specific person with information that other people have entered. For instance, if you enter an ancestor's name, date of birth, and place of birth, it will bring up near matches based on other people's information. You can sort through them to see if it is the same person, and if you are sure it is the same person, then you may find additional information that someone else entered that you were not aware of