2.1
Other Misc. Travels:
Amtrak - Train Travel

MadatAmtrack

I bought a round trip ticket from Amtrack and was told i could het a full refund ,but found out that they charge a fee to cancel a trip and there is NO REFUND,ONLY A VOUCHER,,I WILL NEVER BUY AMTRACK RICETS AGAIN ,I AM VERY UNHAPPY

Topeka KS

Last time

Everytime I catch a train it's hours late today my train was supposed to leave at 7:55am at 7:45 we was told the train is 3 hours late I called Amtrak customer service and the woman said the station is notified at the earliest time but when I ask where is the train she said in a town that's like a hour and a half away so you would have thought if the city is more then a hour away then the station should have known earlier and support was nasty I spent my hard earned money to be late and disrespected

St Louis

Worst service ever

If you can go any other way, avoid this train. We traveled from Chicago to Denver round trip and had the worst service ever. And we might have changed our minds if the return service had been better, but it was just as bad if not worse. They ran out of food both lunches we had. We were in a roomette and supposed to receive free dining room food. However, both times they ran out of our choices but made no attempt to voucher us for the snack car. We demanded it on the return trip and went there to have frozen pizza from the microwave and hot dogs. The whole crew were rude and unapologetic.

Powder Springs, GA

Bad experience

My elderly mother and her friend traveled from Ma to Fl on Amtrak. We were delayed every step of the way and missed our connecting train in NYC. We went to customer service to see if we could get another train this was 10 pm. We were told we could get a train the next morning at 7am there was no other train. We asked if they were going to put us up for the night and were told they don't do that. So myself my 80 year old mother and her friend had to sit in Penn Station until the next morning. On the way home the same thing we missed a connecting train in New Haven CT so instead of waiting my husband drove from Orang Ma to New Haven CT to pick us up. I know this review in no way will help us but we hope it will help others to make other plans. The rating on this review would not allow me to give no stars.

Orange, Ma

i would not again

learned that amtrak was way too exspensive paid 184$ from ny to newark delaware when i could of paid 77$ with greyhound shame

ny

false

Amazing trip if only.........

Just took the California Zepher from Chicago to Emeryville, CA. This was our 1st overnight train trip. PROS: The scenery was amazing. It had snowed in Colorado which was beautiful. The rockies, rivers, salt flats, Donner Lake, etc. was breathtaking. We enjoyed our sleeper bedroom with a bath and we happy we had chosen it. The food was good and there were a lot of choices. CONS: Our cabin attendant, Davon, responded promptly on the 1st and 2nd day of our trip. He prepared our beds and brought us ice.On the last day he never came to our cabin. We had already given him a $20 tip and was planning to give him $20 more. My husband went to dining for ice and was 1st told they did not have any ice, then another employee found him a bag of ice- he tipped him $5. Our cabin was not cleaned during our trip. Even the overflowing trash can was not emptied. Maybe this is NOT part of the steward's duties. Some of the dining car attendants were friendly and polite. One of the ladies was most rude to me - even guests sitting with us said she was rude. The next day at dinner which was being served because our train was 6 hrs late getting into Emeryville. This same lady gave us a lecture on how they were not even suppose to give us dinner, but had to since the train was late. I think she was trying to explain why they only had certain items available but it came across to all four of us that we should be grateful we were getting a meal! Since we had a five hr. delay in Denver, we did not get to see Glenwood Springs, which was suppose to be one of the highlights of the trip. Many folks were very unhappy that the train was running so behind in the schedul. Overall our 1st trip was most enjoyable. However, the personnel need public relations training to make this a five star trip!

South Carolina

true

Disappointed in train ride

The Zephyr ride from Denver to Salt Lake City was supposed to be fast and breath taking with the trees turning, but was a boring ride through the western plains of Wyoming. It looked just like our Oklahoma west with sage brush and plateaus. We did see 2 antelope and a herd of about 25 bison that was penned up close to the tracks. The speedy Zephyr stopped about every 5 miles to let another train to clear the tracks!! It was a very disappointing trip!!!

Central OK

false

KNOW YOUR TRAVEL PLANS!!!

Read the fine print when you make a purchase because they will NOT refund your money if you're in coach they only offer an eVoucher no money returned. We booked a first class private room for our return home and they only gave us a percentage of our refund not our entire purchase cost. Another thing is DON'T BOTHER WITH THE INSURANCE....they advertised the travel insurance and made it seem that if you had a change in plans that the policy would cover this BUT when we called they said due to Amtrak's policy on refunds we do not cover the difference of the refund we ONLY cover if your bag was lost damaged or stolen THAT WAS IT!!! $18 added on to our ticket price for what a possible lost bag so that was money given for nothing this was very frustrating and a rip off. We canceled our plans almost a month in advance it wasn't like it was days beforehand either....took the insurance out due to having 4 kids and life is always changing.....WOULD NOT recommend using this company unless you are 100% positive that you are able to make the trip. BAD BUSINESS POLICY!!!!! They know that travel plans change and life happens with the type of business this is you would think they would be more accommodating. DISAPPOINTED IN THEIR CUSTOMER SERVICE!!!

Ada, Ohio

Naked trip

My husband and I were super excited about our trip to NOLA. We were impressed by the relaxed baggage fare and carry on policy. We checked in 2 large luggages and carried on a cooler and a small luggage. When we arrived to NOLA( 2 hours late) we only had one luggage. That luggage only contained our shoes. We only had the clothes on our backs. They were so nonchalant about the entire situation. They told us that they may be at another station or someone may have grab the wrong luggage. They said it was no point in calling on a Saturday because they wouldn't pick up. So there we were No Clothes, No hygiene products, No medication, and 3 days to go on a vacation that has to be delayed by REshopping, and Phone calls and Run arounds. Face it, who is going to continue to shower and put back in the same nasty clothes that they've traveled in all day the day before? This is by far the most inconvenient trip I have been on, All because Amtrak can't keep up with luggage for 9 hours!!!

Pell city al

Rudest Experience of my Life... DO NOT RIDE

I recently had surgery on some of my abdominal muscles and am not allowed to lift heavy things. As we were boarding the train (I believe it was Carolinian 70 from Union Station to Fredericksburg, VA), I very politely explained my situation to the conductor, and asked for some help lifting my heavy suitcase onto the train. She looked me up and down, and then said "you ain't got no doctors note, so you shouldn't be talking" and turned back around. Thankfully another passenger offered to help, but this was by far the most rude and unprofessional response I could've gotten. Furthermore, though I have emailed their customer service office several times, I have not heard back. This was honestly disgusting... Will never ride Amtrak again.

Washington DC