2.2

Amtrak - Train Travel

2.2

Pros

Cons

Amtrak - Not as bad as you think......(NY to FL)

So I read many reviews about Amtrak travel.  Some good, some so bad I had nightmares.  Last Summer, June 2009, I took an Amtrak trip from NY Penn Station to Tampa.  Maybe I was lucky....I heard Amtrak is notorious for delays.  Nope, not for me.  Train was right on time.  Both going and coming back home.  The seats, yes they are big and pretty comfy.  But try your best to snag a window seat.  The added comfort of leaning on the window to look out definetly made my trip all the more bearable!  The biggest issue.  The bathrooms....sure, they were nice and clean, even smelled somewhat decent when I first got on.  But after traveling for 15 hours with constant flow of people in and out....well, what do you expect.  Bring plenty of Handsanitizer and wet wipes.  You will need it!  There are staff around.  But you are pretty much on your own when it comes to putting your luggage in an overhead.  Unless you find a nice gentleman to help you.  Which do still exist these days!  Food - they have a snack car you can buy granola bars, microwave pizza and sandwiches, those type of things.  Dining car....go if you are really hungry, but don't expect a four star meal.  It was mediocre to say the least and def. overpriced.  I recommend packing a lunch with plenty of snacks.  But I don't want to scare you away!  It really wasn't that bad.  A great alternative to flying if you hate to fly (like me!).  If you have time on your hands and you can manage to sleep somewhat sitting up, try it out.  It's not that bad.  Tips - Bring plenty of entertainment, especially if you are traveling alone.  Music, magazines, books, laptops for movies (they have outlets at every seat), video games, whatever floats your boat.  Me personally, I can just put my iPod on, listen to my favorite songs and stare out the window for hours at a time.  Scenery is good, but keep in mind, Amtrack travels the "backroads" so you will see a whole lot of nothing, woods, forests, whatever you want to call it.  If you get a quiet car without too much ruckus, it's pretty relaxing.  Take advantage of the "smoke stops", even if you are not a smoker.  Get out of the train, breath the fresh air deeply, stretch and walk circles around the station to get your blood flowing.  Trust me, You'll feel good afterwards  Warning - DON'T WANDER TOO FAR!  The train will leave without you, it's your responsibility to get back on.  My trip was overall pretty good.  I'm praying it wasn't a fluke.  I plan to travel to Florida again via Amtrak in a few months!

I should have just flown.

We went on a family trip to New York City and took the Amtrak out of Charlotte into Penn Station and back, riding coach both ways. Our train ride up there was okay, mostly because we boarded around 1AM so for half the ride we didn't interact with the crew or anything because we were trying to sleep. The bathrooms were terrible and the food in the dining car was a step down from Waffle House, but the seats were adjustable to make yourself slightly less uncomfortable and there was more leg room than on a plane.

But the trip on the 79 from Penn Station to Charlotte was absolutely terrible. We got to Charlotte three hours late for various reasons: taking too long at stops, engine overheating, unexplained engine failure, track sensors or something failing, then after being so delayed we were even further delayed by waiting for other trains to pass us or leave stops we needed to get to that wouldn't have happened if we were on time. The bathrooms were even worse. People were clogging them with toilet paper and no one from the staff was taking care of this, the door to one of them wouldn't close, etc. At one point I worked my way up the train to find a functioning toilet and door, and when I finally got to one I got yelled at as I walked in. Turns out I'd made my way to business class where I was not allowed. I tried to tell the employee about the terrible condition of the bathrooms I'd passed on my way but she basically accused me of lying and told me there were nine toilets in coach. And just because one wasn't working doesn't mean I could come into business class, and it was up to me to just keep looking until I found one that worked. In reality I'd walked past 4 bathrooms before I got to business class and none of them were usable. I just turned and walked off and walked through 4 or 5 cars before I found one I could use.

So basically the accomodations are not good, the timeliness...doesn't exist, and the service is absolutely terrible. It took us 15 hours to get from NYC to Charlotte; it should have taken 12, and a flight would have taken about 3. Probably with better service too. I decided after that altercation with the employee that I'm never riding Amtrak again.

Last time

from St Louis

Comments about Amtrak - Train Travel:

Everytime I catch a train it's hours late today my train was supposed to leave at 7:55am at 7:45 we was told the train is 3 hours late I called Amtrak customer service and the woman said the station is notified at the earliest time but when I ask where is the train she said in a town that's like a hour and a half away so you would have thought if the city is more then a hour away then the station should have known earlier and support was nasty I spent my hard earned money to be late and disrespected

Worst service ever

from Powder Springs, GA

Comments about Amtrak - Train Travel:

If you can go any other way, avoid this train. We traveled from Chicago to Denver round trip and had the worst service ever. And we might have changed our minds if the return service had been better, but it was just as bad if not worse. They ran out of food both lunches we had. We were in a roomette and supposed to receive free dining room food. However, both times they ran out of our choices but made no attempt to voucher us for the snack car. We demanded it on the return trip and went there to have frozen pizza from the microwave and hot dogs. The whole crew were rude and unapologetic.

Bad experience

from Orange, Ma

Comments about Amtrak - Train Travel:

My elderly mother and her friend traveled from Ma to Fl on Amtrak. We were delayed every step of the way and missed our connecting train in NYC. We went to customer service to see if we could get another train this was 10 pm. We were told we could get a train the next morning at 7am there was no other train. We asked if they were going to put us up for the night and were told they don't do that. So myself my 80 year old mother and her friend had to sit in Penn Station until the next morning. On the way home the same thing we missed a connecting train in New Haven CT so instead of waiting my husband drove from Orang Ma to New Haven CT to pick us up. I know this review in no way will help us but we hope it will help others to make other plans. The rating on this review would not allow me to give no stars.

i would not again

from ny

Comments about Amtrak - Train Travel:

learned that amtrak was way too exspensive paid 184$ from ny to newark delaware when i could of paid 77$ with greyhound shame

Amazing trip if only.........

from South Carolina

Comments about Amtrak - Train Travel:

Just took the California Zepher from Chicago to Emeryville, CA. This was our 1st overnight train trip.
PROS: The scenery was amazing. It had snowed in Colorado which was beautiful. The rockies, rivers, salt flats, Donner Lake, etc. was breathtaking. We enjoyed our sleeper bedroom with a bath and we happy we had chosen it. The food was good and there were a lot of choices.

CONS: Our cabin attendant, Davon, responded promptly on the 1st and 2nd day of our trip. He prepared our beds and brought us ice.On the last day he never came to our cabin. We had already given him a $20 tip and was planning to give him $20 more. My husband went to dining for ice and was 1st told they did not have any ice, then another employee found him a bag of ice- he tipped him $5. Our cabin was not cleaned during our trip. Even the overflowing trash can was not emptied. Maybe this is NOT part of the steward's duties. Some of the dining car attendants were friendly and polite. One of the ladies was most rude to me - even guests sitting with us said she was rude. The next day at dinner which was being served because our train was 6 hrs late getting into Emeryville. This same lady gave us a lecture on how they were not even suppose to give us dinner, but had to since the train was late. I think she was trying to explain why they only had certain items available but it came across to all four of us that we should be grateful we were getting a meal!
Since we had a five hr. delay in Denver, we did not get to see Glenwood Springs, which was suppose to be one of the highlights of the trip. Many folks were very unhappy that the train was running so behind in the schedul.
Overall our 1st trip was most enjoyable. However, the personnel need public relations training to make this a five star trip!

Disappointed in train ride

from Central OK

Comments about Amtrak - Train Travel:

The Zephyr ride from Denver to Salt Lake City was supposed to be fast and breath taking with the trees turning, but was a boring ride through the western plains of Wyoming. It looked just like our Oklahoma west with sage brush and plateaus. We did see 2 antelope and a herd of about 25 bison that was penned up close to the tracks. The speedy Zephyr stopped about every 5 miles to let another train to clear the tracks!! It was a very disappointing trip!!!

KNOW YOUR TRAVEL PLANS!!!

from Ada, Ohio

Comments about Amtrak - Train Travel:

Read the fine print when you make a purchase because they will NOT refund your money if you're in coach they only offer an eVoucher no money returned. We booked a first class private room for our return home and they only gave us a percentage of our refund not our entire purchase cost. Another thing is DON'T BOTHER WITH THE INSURANCE....they advertised the travel insurance and made it seem that if you had a change in plans that the policy would cover this BUT when we called they said due to Amtrak's policy on refunds we do not cover the difference of the refund we ONLY cover if your bag was lost damaged or stolen THAT WAS IT!!! $18 added on to our ticket price for what a possible lost bag so that was money given for nothing this was very frustrating and a rip off. We canceled our plans almost a month in advance it wasn't like it was days beforehand either....took the insurance out due to having 4 kids and life is always changing.....WOULD NOT recommend using this company unless you are 100% positive that you are able to make the trip. BAD BUSINESS POLICY!!!!! They know that travel plans change and life happens with the type of business this is you would think they would be more accommodating. DISAPPOINTED IN THEIR CUSTOMER SERVICE!!!

Naked trip

from Pell city al

Comments about Amtrak - Train Travel:

My husband and I were super excited about our trip to NOLA. We were impressed by the relaxed baggage fare and carry on policy. We checked in 2 large luggages and carried on a cooler and a small luggage. When we arrived to NOLA( 2 hours late) we only had one luggage. That luggage only contained our shoes. We only had the clothes on our backs. They were so nonchalant about the entire situation. They told us that they may be at another station or someone may have grab the wrong luggage. They said it was no point in calling on a Saturday because they wouldn't pick up. So there we were No Clothes, No hygiene products, No medication, and 3 days to go on a vacation that has to be delayed by REshopping, and Phone calls and Run arounds. Face it, who is going to continue to shower and put back in the same nasty clothes that they've traveled in all day the day before? This is by far the most inconvenient trip I have been on, All because Amtrak can't keep up with luggage for 9 hours!!!

Rudest Experience of my Life... DO NOT RIDE

from Washington DC

Comments about Amtrak - Train Travel:

I recently had surgery on some of my abdominal muscles and am not allowed to lift heavy things. As we were boarding the train (I believe it was Carolinian 70 from Union Station to Fredericksburg, VA), I very politely explained my situation to the conductor, and asked for some help lifting my heavy suitcase onto the train. She looked me up and down, and then said "you ain't got no doctors note, so you shouldn't be talking" and turned back around. Thankfully another passenger offered to help, but this was by far the most rude and unprofessional response I could've gotten.

Furthermore, though I have emailed their customer service office several times, I have not heard back. This was honestly disgusting... Will never ride Amtrak again.

My hero

from Sonora, CA

Comments about Amtrak - Train Travel:

I am elderly and disabled. On June 22 I was travelling on train 4015 from San Luis Obispo to Modesto, CA. The trip starts with a bus and changes to the train at Hanford, CA. My bus drivers was Alex. He helped me transfer my luggage and get it checked through to my destination, then he helped me walk to the train and board it. He was very kind and deserves a reward for his service. I am 84 and appreciate people who are kind and understanding about my inability to walk.He works for Orange Belt Stages. Please thank him for me. Janet f. Langton