2.2

Amtrak - Train Travel

2.2

Pros

Cons

Amtrak - Not as bad as you think......(NY to FL)

So I read many reviews about Amtrak travel.  Some good, some so bad I had nightmares.  Last Summer, June 2009, I took an Amtrak trip from NY Penn Station to Tampa.  Maybe I was lucky....I heard Amtrak is notorious for delays.  Nope, not for me.  Train was right on time.  Both going and coming back home.  The seats, yes they are big and pretty comfy.  But try your best to snag a window seat.  The added comfort of leaning on the window to look out definetly made my trip all the more bearable!  The biggest issue.  The bathrooms....sure, they were nice and clean, even smelled somewhat decent when I first got on.  But after traveling for 15 hours with constant flow of people in and out....well, what do you expect.  Bring plenty of Handsanitizer and wet wipes.  You will need it!  There are staff around.  But you are pretty much on your own when it comes to putting your luggage in an overhead.  Unless you find a nice gentleman to help you.  Which do still exist these days!  Food - they have a snack car you can buy granola bars, microwave pizza and sandwiches, those type of things.  Dining car....go if you are really hungry, but don't expect a four star meal.  It was mediocre to say the least and def. overpriced.  I recommend packing a lunch with plenty of snacks.  But I don't want to scare you away!  It really wasn't that bad.  A great alternative to flying if you hate to fly (like me!).  If you have time on your hands and you can manage to sleep somewhat sitting up, try it out.  It's not that bad.  Tips - Bring plenty of entertainment, especially if you are traveling alone.  Music, magazines, books, laptops for movies (they have outlets at every seat), video games, whatever floats your boat.  Me personally, I can just put my iPod on, listen to my favorite songs and stare out the window for hours at a time.  Scenery is good, but keep in mind, Amtrack travels the "backroads" so you will see a whole lot of nothing, woods, forests, whatever you want to call it.  If you get a quiet car without too much ruckus, it's pretty relaxing.  Take advantage of the "smoke stops", even if you are not a smoker.  Get out of the train, breath the fresh air deeply, stretch and walk circles around the station to get your blood flowing.  Trust me, You'll feel good afterwards  Warning - DON'T WANDER TOO FAR!  The train will leave without you, it's your responsibility to get back on.  My trip was overall pretty good.  I'm praying it wasn't a fluke.  I plan to travel to Florida again via Amtrak in a few months!

I should have just flown.

We went on a family trip to New York City and took the Amtrak out of Charlotte into Penn Station and back, riding coach both ways. Our train ride up there was okay, mostly because we boarded around 1AM so for half the ride we didn't interact with the crew or anything because we were trying to sleep. The bathrooms were terrible and the food in the dining car was a step down from Waffle House, but the seats were adjustable to make yourself slightly less uncomfortable and there was more leg room than on a plane.

But the trip on the 79 from Penn Station to Charlotte was absolutely terrible. We got to Charlotte three hours late for various reasons: taking too long at stops, engine overheating, unexplained engine failure, track sensors or something failing, then after being so delayed we were even further delayed by waiting for other trains to pass us or leave stops we needed to get to that wouldn't have happened if we were on time. The bathrooms were even worse. People were clogging them with toilet paper and no one from the staff was taking care of this, the door to one of them wouldn't close, etc. At one point I worked my way up the train to find a functioning toilet and door, and when I finally got to one I got yelled at as I walked in. Turns out I'd made my way to business class where I was not allowed. I tried to tell the employee about the terrible condition of the bathrooms I'd passed on my way but she basically accused me of lying and told me there were nine toilets in coach. And just because one wasn't working doesn't mean I could come into business class, and it was up to me to just keep looking until I found one that worked. In reality I'd walked past 4 bathrooms before I got to business class and none of them were usable. I just turned and walked off and walked through 4 or 5 cars before I found one I could use.

So basically the accomodations are not good, the timeliness...doesn't exist, and the service is absolutely terrible. It took us 15 hours to get from NYC to Charlotte; it should have taken 12, and a flight would have taken about 3. Probably with better service too. I decided after that altercation with the employee that I'm never riding Amtrak again.

Late and disorganized

from Bellingham, WA

Comments about Amtrak - Train Travel:

Train was 75 minutes late due to mechanical errors, congestion and who knows what. When the trip is already 6 hours, adding over an hour of sitting on the train is ridiculous and very irritating!! The first leg I had my doubts when the person boarding us passed out slips of paper to show us our seats, and then, ran out half way through the line. None of us knew where we were supposed to sit and then, we got settled and they came and grouchily moved us again. The return trip was delayed repeatedly for mechanical failures, traffic, signals that were faulty, and who knows what else. Will never take the train again.....at one point I could have gotten off the train and caught a bus and gotten home faster!! Got the distinct impression that the system is very disorganized and ill prepared!

Dont Expect Much

from Illinois

Comments about Amtrak - Train Travel:

This was my first & last experience with Amtrak. The only part of the experience that went as planned, was Amtrak taking my money. First, the train was delayed. Two, no one at the station or customer service had a clue as to the eta of the train. I called three times during the delay (as I left the train station) and was told three hours later that the train was arriving within 5 minutes. Mind you, I called three times prior, asked if someone could call or text me w/updates, etc., but nothing! I barely made the train. No assistance with luggage, no security check for weapons or anything. In addition to the possibility of being amongst other travelers carrying a weapon, the temperature on the train was ridiculously cold. I asked the steward if the temperature could be adjusted and she said no. All passengers within my eyesight were wrapped or balled up, trying to keep warm. In addition to the train being three hours delayed, it kept stopping for periods of a half hour or more, due to engine trouble. Because of the delay, I missed my connector. No provisions were made for travelers experiencing this. What was told to me is that, "the next connector is scheduled at 2:30p", which means in addition to a 14 hour train ride, I would have to wait at the train station four more hours. Needless to say, it was easier to call for a ride at that point. Mind you I did not take the connector. Amtrak didn't bother to reimburse me the difference, until I called them. This entire trip could have been made less frustrating, if they would have emailed or texted regarding the train's delay (as stated in the reservation processing), if anyone would have bothered to communicate, even after being asked to do so, if the train personnel would have been more communicative regarding the status and what was going on the multiple times the train was immobile. OR and this is a big or, maybe even offer your guest complimentary meals. No, that's asking too much.

Dirty Bathrooms/Disrespectful Staff

from Boston MA

Comments about Amtrak - Train Travel:

I chose train travel because I thought it would be less stressful than taking a plane which tends to incite panic in me. I rode Business Class back from Durham, NC to Boston MA with a five hour lay over in Washington. While I did not appreciate such a long lay over, I would have to say that the train staff from Durham to Washington provided me with calm, polite service and all the attention that the extra cost of a Business Class ticket offers. The bathrooms were clean and the staff attentive. However when we arrived in New York and the staff changed, so did the service, When I asked for a pillow, I was told there were none (not so from Durham to Washington). There were no more offers of complimentary drinks, the bathrooms were filthy and the staff were not at all available to passengers; instead they hung out in the Cafe car playing cards with each other. When they did speak to passengers their tone was abrasive and lacking in manners. Their service paled in comparison to the southern crew. I was very glad to get off and away from that ill-mannered crew.

So so sad! I was a great supporter of Amtrak

from Denver, CO

Comments about Amtrak - Train Travel:

This trip from Albany, NY to Chicago has been horrible! Never again will I ride Amtrak. I, like many others, have noticed the decline in service from this once great company. My daughter and I were having a great trip around Boston and Albany. Then we got on train 49 to Chicago. What a nightmare. The seats were assigned smelled like someone had been smoking pot and there was so much garbage left we had to make two trip to the garbage can before we could sit down. The bathrooms were dirty and smelly. They used a commuter style car for the for the long journey. Lights were on all night and conductors would yell about every hour and a half to announce stops. They used to quietly wake the designated passengers when they reached their stops. This happened all through the night. In Buffalo, at 2am, a large group got on and stood in the aisle for ten minutes before they realized they had no seats for them. They had to sit in the lounge car. We are going to be late to Chicago but I've come to expect a little lateness. This trip is another example of the decline in customer service, lack of pride in work, and overworked employees that America is becoming. My heart breaks for Amtrak. I used to love the train. My heart breaks for America and what it is becoming.

Last ride, sadly.

from Houston, TX

Comments about Amtrak - Train Travel:

My wife and I have taken the trip from Houston to New Orleans and back for a long week-end every year for the past 6 or 7 years. It is a relaxing (usually, If no loud kids) trip and we always enjoyed it. One of the big benefits was the free, ample parking at the Houston Station.

Well, needless to say, that has all changed. Now only 5 long term parking spaces at the station, otherwise you are on your own now. Why this change? Apparently, we don't have to top security clearance to get an answer. Sadly, this will be our last trip on Amtrak. Over the past 6 years, we, too, have noticed a decrease in attentiveness and service (on top of the parking issue).

Also, Amtrak's inability to re-establish service on the Sunset Ltd. to Orlando has been very disappointing.

Poor service!

from Michigan

Comments about Amtrak - Train Travel:

6/25/16. Traveled from Chicago to Arizona, chaotic boarding at Union Station, extremely disorganized. Traveled coach, seating not bad, pretty spacious. The food served in the dining car is adequate but overpriced. The bathrooms are disgusting and foul. Most doors don't lock, trash cans were never emptied. The worst thing I have ever experienced. Our train, the SW Chief was 8 hours late getting to our destination because of a tragic accident where people were killed. We missed a paid for night in a hotel. Amtrak refused to make good our missed hotel night. They offered a lousy voucher towards another trip. We will never travel Amtrak again, rude employees, absolutely no customer service and restrooms worse than any cattle car.

We will never use your services again.

from Kaneohe, HI

Comments about Amtrak - Train Travel:

My family and I were traveling from Washington State to Davis, California (Train #11) on the 15th of June and one of your employees had the audacity to put her hands on my child. She threw my son's leg off the tray and told him "that's not what it was used for" which I completely understand but for her to physically put her hands on my son I believe was uncalled for!!! She then proceeded to get on the intercom and make threats to the passengers saying the next person who has a conversation will be left at the next stop. Totally uncalled for. Poor customer service! We will never use Amtrak again.

Never again...

from Albany,NY

Comments about Amtrak - Train Travel:

Amtrak should be ashamed! I traveled from Albany to Syracuse and the train was almost 3 hours late...3 hours!!! I could have walked faster. Yes there was rail construction but the numerous stops were unnecessary with better planning. Two days later I traveled from Buffalo to Albany and the train was 90 minutes late. Again we stopped for every freight train, construction and any other thing they could conjure up.
The bottom line is that these people have no respect for your time. They think that numerous apologies make up for a lack of execution. Sufffice to say I have taken my last trip on Amtrak. Next time, I'll drive.

Awful Awful and Worse !

from Stuck between New York and Alabama.

Comments about Amtrak - Train Travel:

On June 11 2016 I boarded a train in Birmingham Al. I had reserved a sleeper room. The Entire sleeper car 2011 was without air conditioning. The inside temperature was 95 degrees. It was the beginning of a terrible trip. Now I am returning on train 19 and guess what no air in the sleeper car. Customer service is a joke. When I told them I had reserved Bedroom both ways at a premium price their resolution was a voucher for more travel. And that was a pittance of my ticket price. I truly have been a supporter of Amtrak but now that I have experienced this incompetence I don't care anymore. The management or lack thereof is going to cause thousands of employees to lose their jobs. I will encourage everyone in the sound of my voice to avoid Amtrak like a plague.

Horrible customer service

from Washington DC

Comments about Amtrak - Train Travel:

I traveled from CHI to WAS. My bag was left in CHI, so they delivered it to me on the next day. My bag was torn. I called them, and the guy said that I should go back to the station and fill out a document. When I got to the station, another employee said that I should mail them. I did it, and they did not give a answer. I emailed them, and they did not answer too.