2.2

Amtrak - Train Travel

2.2

Pros

Cons

Amtrak - Not as bad as you think......(NY to FL)

So I read many reviews about Amtrak travel.  Some good, some so bad I had nightmares.  Last Summer, June 2009, I took an Amtrak trip from NY Penn Station to Tampa.  Maybe I was lucky....I heard Amtrak is notorious for delays.  Nope, not for me.  Train was right on time.  Both going and coming back home.  The seats, yes they are big and pretty comfy.  But try your best to snag a window seat.  The added comfort of leaning on the window to look out definetly made my trip all the more bearable!  The biggest issue.  The bathrooms....sure, they were nice and clean, even smelled somewhat decent when I first got on.  But after traveling for 15 hours with constant flow of people in and out....well, what do you expect.  Bring plenty of Handsanitizer and wet wipes.  You will need it!  There are staff around.  But you are pretty much on your own when it comes to putting your luggage in an overhead.  Unless you find a nice gentleman to help you.  Which do still exist these days!  Food - they have a snack car you can buy granola bars, microwave pizza and sandwiches, those type of things.  Dining car....go if you are really hungry, but don't expect a four star meal.  It was mediocre to say the least and def. overpriced.  I recommend packing a lunch with plenty of snacks.  But I don't want to scare you away!  It really wasn't that bad.  A great alternative to flying if you hate to fly (like me!).  If you have time on your hands and you can manage to sleep somewhat sitting up, try it out.  It's not that bad.  Tips - Bring plenty of entertainment, especially if you are traveling alone.  Music, magazines, books, laptops for movies (they have outlets at every seat), video games, whatever floats your boat.  Me personally, I can just put my iPod on, listen to my favorite songs and stare out the window for hours at a time.  Scenery is good, but keep in mind, Amtrack travels the "backroads" so you will see a whole lot of nothing, woods, forests, whatever you want to call it.  If you get a quiet car without too much ruckus, it's pretty relaxing.  Take advantage of the "smoke stops", even if you are not a smoker.  Get out of the train, breath the fresh air deeply, stretch and walk circles around the station to get your blood flowing.  Trust me, You'll feel good afterwards  Warning - DON'T WANDER TOO FAR!  The train will leave without you, it's your responsibility to get back on.  My trip was overall pretty good.  I'm praying it wasn't a fluke.  I plan to travel to Florida again via Amtrak in a few months!

I should have just flown.

We went on a family trip to New York City and took the Amtrak out of Charlotte into Penn Station and back, riding coach both ways. Our train ride up there was okay, mostly because we boarded around 1AM so for half the ride we didn't interact with the crew or anything because we were trying to sleep. The bathrooms were terrible and the food in the dining car was a step down from Waffle House, but the seats were adjustable to make yourself slightly less uncomfortable and there was more leg room than on a plane.

But the trip on the 79 from Penn Station to Charlotte was absolutely terrible. We got to Charlotte three hours late for various reasons: taking too long at stops, engine overheating, unexplained engine failure, track sensors or something failing, then after being so delayed we were even further delayed by waiting for other trains to pass us or leave stops we needed to get to that wouldn't have happened if we were on time. The bathrooms were even worse. People were clogging them with toilet paper and no one from the staff was taking care of this, the door to one of them wouldn't close, etc. At one point I worked my way up the train to find a functioning toilet and door, and when I finally got to one I got yelled at as I walked in. Turns out I'd made my way to business class where I was not allowed. I tried to tell the employee about the terrible condition of the bathrooms I'd passed on my way but she basically accused me of lying and told me there were nine toilets in coach. And just because one wasn't working doesn't mean I could come into business class, and it was up to me to just keep looking until I found one that worked. In reality I'd walked past 4 bathrooms before I got to business class and none of them were usable. I just turned and walked off and walked through 4 or 5 cars before I found one I could use.

So basically the accomodations are not good, the timeliness...doesn't exist, and the service is absolutely terrible. It took us 15 hours to get from NYC to Charlotte; it should have taken 12, and a flight would have taken about 3. Probably with better service too. I decided after that altercation with the employee that I'm never riding Amtrak again.

Disappointed in train ride

from Central OK

Comments about Amtrak - Train Travel:

The Zephyr ride from Denver to Salt Lake City was supposed to be fast and breath taking with the trees turning, but was a boring ride through the western plains of Wyoming. It looked just like our Oklahoma west with sage brush and plateaus. We did see 2 antelope and a herd of about 25 bison that was penned up close to the tracks. The speedy Zephyr stopped about every 5 miles to let another train to clear the tracks!! It was a very disappointing trip!!!

KNOW YOUR TRAVEL PLANS!!!

from Ada, Ohio

Comments about Amtrak - Train Travel:

Read the fine print when you make a purchase because they will NOT refund your money if you're in coach they only offer an eVoucher no money returned. We booked a first class private room for our return home and they only gave us a percentage of our refund not our entire purchase cost. Another thing is DON'T BOTHER WITH THE INSURANCE....they advertised the travel insurance and made it seem that if you had a change in plans that the policy would cover this BUT when we called they said due to Amtrak's policy on refunds we do not cover the difference of the refund we ONLY cover if your bag was lost damaged or stolen THAT WAS IT!!! $18 added on to our ticket price for what a possible lost bag so that was money given for nothing this was very frustrating and a rip off. We canceled our plans almost a month in advance it wasn't like it was days beforehand either....took the insurance out due to having 4 kids and life is always changing.....WOULD NOT recommend using this company unless you are 100% positive that you are able to make the trip. BAD BUSINESS POLICY!!!!! They know that travel plans change and life happens with the type of business this is you would think they would be more accommodating. DISAPPOINTED IN THEIR CUSTOMER SERVICE!!!

Naked trip

from Pell city al

Comments about Amtrak - Train Travel:

My husband and I were super excited about our trip to NOLA. We were impressed by the relaxed baggage fare and carry on policy. We checked in 2 large luggages and carried on a cooler and a small luggage. When we arrived to NOLA( 2 hours late) we only had one luggage. That luggage only contained our shoes. We only had the clothes on our backs. They were so nonchalant about the entire situation. They told us that they may be at another station or someone may have grab the wrong luggage. They said it was no point in calling on a Saturday because they wouldn't pick up. So there we were No Clothes, No hygiene products, No medication, and 3 days to go on a vacation that has to be delayed by REshopping, and Phone calls and Run arounds. Face it, who is going to continue to shower and put back in the same nasty clothes that they've traveled in all day the day before? This is by far the most inconvenient trip I have been on, All because Amtrak can't keep up with luggage for 9 hours!!!

Rudest Experience of my Life... DO NOT RIDE

from Washington DC

Comments about Amtrak - Train Travel:

I recently had surgery on some of my abdominal muscles and am not allowed to lift heavy things. As we were boarding the train (I believe it was Carolinian 70 from Union Station to Fredericksburg, VA), I very politely explained my situation to the conductor, and asked for some help lifting my heavy suitcase onto the train. She looked me up and down, and then said "you ain't got no doctors note, so you shouldn't be talking" and turned back around. Thankfully another passenger offered to help, but this was by far the most rude and unprofessional response I could've gotten.

Furthermore, though I have emailed their customer service office several times, I have not heard back. This was honestly disgusting... Will never ride Amtrak again.

My hero

from Sonora, CA

Comments about Amtrak - Train Travel:

I am elderly and disabled. On June 22 I was travelling on train 4015 from San Luis Obispo to Modesto, CA. The trip starts with a bus and changes to the train at Hanford, CA. My bus drivers was Alex. He helped me transfer my luggage and get it checked through to my destination, then he helped me walk to the train and board it. He was very kind and deserves a reward for his service. I am 84 and appreciate people who are kind and understanding about my inability to walk.He works for Orange Belt Stages. Please thank him for me. Janet f. Langton

Needs help

from Nashville

Comments about Amtrak - Train Travel:

Amtrak needs some serious help. Recently traveled from Chicago to Portland, Oregon via Amtrak. While the trip was entertaining there are a number of ways it could have been much better. The "sleeper" accommodations on a scale of 1 to 5 were about a -1. Much too cramped. Upper bunk was a test of your ability to navigate in a small space with limited support. (A real test for elderly folks) Bathroom accommodations in the compartment were substandard at best. Luggage storage was minimal, not nearly enough space.
Dining on the train was something I was really looking forward to. Unfortunately it was very disappointing. The quality of the food was average at best. The service was superb.
Club Car service was below average. To get a beverage one had to go to the bottom level of the car by navigating a short spiral staircase which was also very narrow. Then if you wanted to enjoy the scenery of the observation deck you had to navigate the staircase while holding your beverage or sandwich. Not good! ALL of the items available were terribly expensive. There was a bar on the upper deck but it was never in use.
The ride was comfortable, very little swaying and virtually no jerking motions when the train stopped or moving from a stopped position. The personnel on the train were very friendly and accommodating. Would I take this trip again? Probably not. I won't do this again until there are some serious changes made in the sleeper accommodations & the diner.

Never will I take a amtrak in the future

from SAN DIEGO

Comments about Amtrak - Train Travel:

Told I couldn't take a full sized suitcase from san diego to lax to get off the train and get a shuttle to the airport.will never try to use amtrak again

Never Again

from Charleston, SC

Comments about Amtrak - Train Travel:

Charleston SC to DC delay 2 1/2 hours the return trip delayed 2 hours. The CafeCar was closed for part of the trip and eventually had no food or drinks I got a cup of ice. So ridiculous that a packed train ran out of food and drinks, understaffed and disgusting bathrooms. This was my first train trip and my last!

Poor service and cramped third rate carriages and food

from Sydney Australia

Comments about Amtrak - Train Travel:

Recently travelled all over the USA via the Amtrak service. Although the scenery was quite spectacular in parts this was countered by the poor service and monotonous food served in the dining car. The fact that the train was late most of the time was not an issue for me. More of an issue was the fact that most Amtrak employees were without any client service credentials what so ever. Some of the staff were quite rude. Wifi was non existent for most of my journeys and toilets were either blocked and non usable on some routes or in very short supply on others (especially in the southern areas of the country). I plan to write to Amtrak to ask for a refund on some of the routes that I travelled. The sleeping rooms were quite expensive and provided minimal amounts of room for the price. For this price I would expect wifi which is an accepted norm these days (however not if your an Amtrak passenger paying top price for a sleeping compartment it would seem). It will be my last way of travelling this way.

Late and disorganized

from Bellingham, WA

Comments about Amtrak - Train Travel:

Train was 75 minutes late due to mechanical errors, congestion and who knows what. When the trip is already 6 hours, adding over an hour of sitting on the train is ridiculous and very irritating!! The first leg I had my doubts when the person boarding us passed out slips of paper to show us our seats, and then, ran out half way through the line. None of us knew where we were supposed to sit and then, we got settled and they came and grouchily moved us again. The return trip was delayed repeatedly for mechanical failures, traffic, signals that were faulty, and who knows what else. Will never take the train again.....at one point I could have gotten off the train and caught a bus and gotten home faster!! Got the distinct impression that the system is very disorganized and ill prepared!