2.2

2.2

Pros

Cons

the best

Ameriprise has been great, we switched from Allstate and saved almost $1000 for the year in Orlando. Their claims department is great in being helpful too. Because we found them through Costco's program, we can never be cancelled due to accidents or tickets. I have recommended them for price and service to everyone I know.

Horrible customer service and help when you want to change

There is a long story associated with Ameriprise and my family.  We had a personal financial advisor with Ameriprise Financial, and we were using this guy for many many years. Read complete review

They do offer great customer service and help with your financial planning when you are with them, but when the time comes for you to pull the money out and actually retire... the whole story changes.  This is what happened to my family.  My dad personally wanted to now start taking payments from his program since he is 64 years of age and so I assume we had to make  aphone call and some paperwork.

Well the paperwork was extremely abundant and it was very hard to fill out.  When time came to actually fill out the forms, the agent we had was of no help what-so-ever.  If anything, he was calling us to see if there were problems and that he left the intent that he would not want us to pull the money.  He wanted us to see if it was possible to wait longer.

Overall, the experience with saving money with Ameriprise was good. The experience with pulling the money out of Ameriprise was horrible.  Overall, it took about 4 months to complete everything to have the transaction take place.

Very angry with them and will never do business with them again.

Buyer beware

from Boulder, CO

Comments about Ameriprise:

Our family got a very low quote - About half the cost of our existing insurance plan. My car is a subaru wrx sti. They asked if there were any modifications and gave the option to insure them if I was willing to pay a higher premium. I gave them a full list, totaling about $3000, and they said they'd call back with the new quote the next week. After receiving the call, they said my rates would go up by $18 every 6 months. What a deal! I gladly accepted the insurance of my very minor modifications. 3 weeks after that, I got another call saying they were no longer able to insure me due to the mods and would cancel my insurance within 1 week if I didn't send them pictures and an invoice of the work being done to return the car back to stock. If I wanted to keep the car the way it is, I would have to pay $1900 every 6 months as opposed to the original quote of $530. After reading a little more about the company, I am canceling my policy with them because it has become apparent that they do this kind of thing fairly often. Bait and switch, please be weary of this company!

Theft

from San Antonio Texas

Comments about Ameriprise:

I did not give authorization to take $749.00 out of my account nor did I receive notification. When I called about their billing I was told it was an automatic renewal. I understand about the renewal I have no problem with that. I had enough money in the bank to cover the amount but what if I didn't? What if I did not notice the charges and couldn't pay for my medication because I was not aware of the withdraw? I only realized it when doing my book keeping. I never got the notification in the mail they said they sent. When I requested to be notified by Email or phone I was told that was not possible. All of this is beside the point when you take money away from someone without prior consent that is called stealing even if you claim to provide a good or service under a prior contract. I have never had this problem with any business before. I canceled my account but not getting a complete refund.

Worst insurance company

from Humble, tx

Comments about Ameriprise:

They will double your rate after the first claim , worst claim processing service , stay away

Ameriprise's Deceptive Marketing Practices

from Portland Oregon

Comments about Ameriprise:

I have been a Costco member for a LONG time, starting at their Kirkland WA location and now here in Portland. I have been frankly disgusted by the deceptive marketing practices that Costco has entered ,by association with Ameriprise. Ameriprise is not a company I want to do business with (based on past experience where they tried very hard to pin the blame for an accident on me - they lost) but I continue to be pummeled by their mailings from Costco, including ones that border on fraud by claiming to be "unclaimed member benefits." Further, on attempting to unsubscribe from the Ameriprise mailings - which, with most services takes just a one-click on the web - I found that Ameriprise REQUIRED me to provide my social security number (a breach of privacy) AND after I filled out the form, also required the ridiculous extra step of my printing out the form and putting it in the U.S. mail (at my own cost, of course)! It is easy to see that this is a ploy to make it as uncomfortable and as clumsy, and costly, as possible - TO THE COSTCO MEMBER - to unsubscribe for unwanted mailings from Ameriprise. Costco, rethink this relationship with Ameriprise. Costco has integrity in the way it deals with clients but Ameriprise is causing you to step into deceptive practices.

Do not purchase From Amerprise

from Michigan

Comments about Ameriprise:

I have been a memeber with Amerprise sisnce 2012, rates were good enough to get me to switch, my renewal comes up next mont and they have the nerve to tell me my rates are going up 50%, I called them and the said it is due to policy changes. Not right, no tickets, no accidents. I am dropping them.

REFUSAL TO ADD VEHICLE TO EXISTING POLICY

from Pocatello Idaho

Comments about Ameriprise:

I bought another truck and called in to add the vehicle to my existing auto insurance policy.
The agent questioned me about body damage on the
vehicle. I told her there was a minor ding and
she refuses me unless I took pictures and mailed
them in. Her supervisor supported her so I changed to another company who never even asked
about body damage. I also saved hundreds of dollars.

EX-Customer

from Minneapolis, MN

Comments about Ameriprise:

I was a customer or AMEX, then Ameriprise for 20+ years. I bought a policy from them when I first began to drive and had never changed companies. Made reliable payments over the years, NO driving citations, one minor accident (not my fault). Then after missing a payment deadline of 6/1, I called on 6/8 to apologize for missing the payment, hoping to make the payment in full over the phone. I was told my policy was canceled and they would NOT re-instate because I had now paid late twice in 3 years. I sat speechless and frustrated. All the representative would say was "sorry". The same day I found less expensive insurance elsewhere, for identical coverage. Now Ameriprise has called me twice, in two day, to tell me they have reviewed my policy and are willing to re-instate. Really???! After canceling me and forcing me to find other insurance. Do your due diligence BEFORE canceling a faithful customer of 20 years.

Had to find another insurance company...

Comments about Ameriprise:

Very easy to sign up. Then, after they "reviewed" my file, they decided to cancel if I didn't make changes to my landscape. I decided to go with another company. THEN, they had the nerve, after I cancelled with Ameriprise, to send me notification that they had rescinded the cancellation made 4 weeks previously. During that 4 week period I had to search around for another source, notify my mortgage company NOT to write me their insurance policy, etc.

Worst insurance ever - don't even think about purchasing this!

Comments about Ameriprise:

Company dragged out my claim for months (almost a year), made me do all the leg work and then had the nerve to tell me that even though the loss will remain a not-at-fault claim on my record, they are closing the claim against the trucking company that side swiped me and I am going to be out my deductible. What a scam of an insurance-cannot believe that Costco is behind this horrible company

Customer Service
dealt with a rep for months that eventually got fired while I was doing all the legwork! Transferred to a minimally communicative rep to finish the job where they claimed that I needed to pay my deductible even though it was on a police report that it wasn't my fault!

If I could do it again, I wouldn't have joined Ameriprise

Comments about Ameriprise:

I would not use Ameriprise if I had the option to do it again. We used their financial adviser services and while they helped us get a good picture of our finances, this was nothing more than a standard budgeting program that you can find online would have done. They suggested options for us that were not the best ones for us, but that made the representative the most money. We got sucked into a Variable Universal Life insurance policy and it was not the best option for us and it never came close to the percentages that they quoted for the returns we should have seen. We found out later he just quoted us the most he was allowed to by law. All in all it worked, but we were happy to finally get out of it. I felt every time they called us for a "free" review they just wanted to pedal their wares and get us to buy more things we did not need.

Customer Service
I thought customer service was something they were better at. They made us feel comfortable, answered our calls back, and in general treated their customers well. But, I feel they were not thinking about us when they gave us advice or helped us choose options. The representative wanted us to choose options that made him the most money, not the ones that were best for us.

Available Plans
They may have several good plans, but since we felt the representative only offered us the ones that gave him the best commission, we would never know. It would be nice with a name like American Express behind it, that it would be better as customer service and less at how much they could scam from them.