1.3

Pros

Cons

• Customer Service:
    • Available Plans:
    • I received a sample (8), I am an employee or otherwise affiliated with the brand (3)

Home warranty insurance

We got a Homeowners insurance policy from American Home Shield when we purchased our new home. During the one year time we had the policy we only had to use them for one issue, when our air conditioning went out.

Customer Service
We had American Home Sheild for one year and only used them once when our air conditioning went out. The experience was alright. The incident happened on a weekend, at night and it was hard to get a hold of someone. We had to leave a message. We were put on an emergency list since we had a baby; however it still took 3-4 days to have the ac fixed correctly. It took three different AHS contractors to come out to 'fix' the problem. We had to stay at a hotel one night and also purchased/installed a window unit in our bedroom. The AHS representatives we spoke with went back and forth about if they would assist in covering those costs. It was August in Texas and it was HOT. In the end, my husband, who is a lawyer sent them a letter and they did reimburse us for the cost of the window unit.

Available Plans
I only know of one plan that they offer, but there maybe more. I was satisfied with the plan we had.

Stay Far Away from AHS !!!

I would give American Home Shield NEGATIVE five stars if possible !AHS should stand for American Home SCAM -- this company exists ONLY to make money for its private investors, NOT to provide quality home insurance service to its customers.

We gave AHS thousands of dollars in premium payments over the years, but whenever something breaks down and we call them, it's ALWAYS a major hassle to deal with their rude and uncaring customer "service" reps, who AGGRESSIVELY enforce AHS's apparent policy of ALWAYS trying to deny or minimize claims.

And the contractors hired by AHS are just as bad if not worse than AHS, apparently colluding with AHS to cheat customers.

Recently, an electrical fixture broke and we called AHS. The tech came and said he needed to get a part for the unit. We had to pay the tech a $55 "service" fee just to come out and look at the problem. He didn't do any work, and didn't bring a ladder so he had use ours !!!

Three weeks passed and neither the contractor nor AHS called us back, so we called AHS to find out what was taking so long. AHS said the contractor was still waiting for the part.

Another three weeks passed and still no call from the contractor or from AHS, so we called AHS again and we got the same response, that AHS would call the contractor to get details.

On top of that, during the second call AHS said that the unit was covered by the original manufacturer's warranty. Poppycock. The unit was installed years ago and the original manufacturer warranty expired years ago, and we told this to the contractor !!!

It appears that AHS is trying to weasel out of paying for this repair by claiming that the unit is covered by the original warranty.

After reading the other reviews here it appears that AHS ALWAYS claims that the original warranty still covers the broken unit. This appears to be a DELIBERATE tactic used by AHS to avoid paying claims that otherwise it must pay under the contract.

Another AHS war story: One of our major appliances broke down long after the original warranty expired. AHS tried to replace the unit with one that was far cheaper than the original. This is known as "low balling" a claim.

We had to do long hard battle with AHS customer "service" supervisors, and had to provide them with comp data for new units to support our argument that AHS was trying to low ball our claim.

After weeks of hassles AHS finally agreed to increase our settlement and replace the unit with a comparable one, but we had to fight tooth and nail to make this happen !!!

This also appears to be a DELIBERATE tactic of AHS. In other words, AHS apparently low balls EVERY claim. Then, if the customer wants a fair settlement of the claim, such as more money, or a better unit than the one AHS wants to provide, AHS forces him to fight hard for his rights under the contract.

This tactic obviously works in favor of AHS, because a certain percentage of customers will NOT fight for their rights due to poor health, lack of time, and ignorance of their rights.

Therefore, this tactic apparently MAKES LOTS of MONEY for AHS, at the EXPENSE OF THEIR CUSTOMERS.

If you are thinking of AHS for your home warranty, THINK AGAIN !!!

Entering into a contract with AHS is asking for problems. You are better off keeping the money you would have paid AHS, put it in a high yield bank account, then draw from it when you need repairs.

Keep in mind that AHS is one of several business units of a larger company called ServiceMaster, a private company. We've had dealings with other ServiceMaster business units, such as Terminex, AmeriSpec, and MerryMaids, and they all follow the same pattern as AHS: high cost and horrible customer "service".

In addition, after you deal with one of these businesses and cancel the contract (as we've done), they never stop hassling you to sign up again. The junk mail, junk email, and marketing phone calls apparently will continue to annoy us until the end of our days.

As an aside, if you find yourself in a fight with AHS over a significant claim, ($500 to $7500), and it's obvious that AHS is trying to low ball you or outright deny a claim that they should pay under the contract, you can file a small claims action against AHS in most states and very likely win a judgment in your favor.

In other words, when you win the small claims action, AHS would have to pay you the amount awarded by the court ($500 to $7500), plus your costs for filing the claim.

The cost for a small claim is less than $50 to file the claim and serve it, and neither you nor AHS are allowed lawyers in court, so it's you against an AHS rep. All you need is proof that the settlement offered by AHS is low, such as appliance brochures with prices, photos of your appliance, etc. To find out how to file a claim in your state, do a Google search for "small claims" plus the name of your state.

Better yet, STAY AWAY from AHS, and all ServiceMaster companies.

Horrible

from Rockville Md

Comments about American Home Shield Home Warranty Plan:

Their contractors are horrible. I have a dishwasher that was broken and the contractors, Family First Appliance Repair, bumped me from the appointment and didn't even tell us. I tried to switch contractors, but American Home Shield would not allow me to. Their contractors are untrustworthy and they can't even do anything to fix it. I'm so disappointed. I've been with them for 4 years.

Do not trust AHS, they hire the worst of the worst

from Tulsa OK

Comments about American Home Shield Home Warranty Plan:

Purchased home warranty for our new home and had made one call that ended up costing 100.00 for their plumber and another 150 for a plumber that would fix what they broke and yet have another 500 to go. Why waste money when after further reviews they only send the worst of the worst. Save money you put into warranty for repairs. You are much better off.

This company is a fraudulent business.

from Shreveport LA

Comments about American Home Shield Home Warranty Plan:

This business is fraudulent. Read the comments on their Facebook page. Every single comment under ANY post, regardless of topic, leads directly toward their horrible customer service and fraudulent activity.

• I am an employee or otherwise affiliated with the brand

Don't get ripped off by AHS

from Jacksonville Florida

Comments about American Home Shield Home Warranty Plan:

AHS replaced my compressor last year and charged me over $1000 for coolant. The faulty unit AHS installed failed under warranty yet they are saying I have to pay another $1000 less than a year later. This the the worst in a long line of issues I have had. All three of my co-workers have horror stories as well. AHS keeps reducing their coverage and creating ways to get out of paying. Good bye AHS. Word of mouth will hurt you.

Do not use this company Not even one star!

from fredericksburg va

Comments about American Home Shield Home Warranty Plan:

Do not use these people! it is a total rip off and customer service is non existent! My Air conditioner broke they contracted a provider that was 50 miles from my home and could not come for 3 days... when I called them to see if they could call another company a closer company as my house was 92 degrees ( and its going to get hotter as its 105 for the high today )and I had two children one whom has asthma and the other special needs and it was/is a health concern to have them both in that environment and was told "The computer picked the company and it is within 3 days of the ticket so it is acceptable " Really! I then asked them to call some one else to see if they could come sooner and was told no because the computer had already picked someone and it was within their guidelines so there was no reason to pick another company...REALLY!
I asked the lady if she thought that was either logical or reasonable and her reply was YES! really... Don't use these people, I am certain they do that so I am forced into not using my warranty because I can not wait the 3 days and they still get to collect my monthly payment. This is actually the second incident I have had with them and their "fine print" DO NOT USE them you will regret it!

Terrible experience, and it keeps going.

from McKinney, Texas

Current Customer Contract# 176697032
I've been with out AC for over 2 weeks, and It's estimated that it will be 20 days total before it gets fixed. It is 100 degrees and humid here in North Texas. I'm annoyed, frustrated, and I'm going to cancel my contract when this is over based on my experiences with AHS and their contractor.

I am currently waiting for my AC to be repaired by All Star Comfort Systems, the dates of service are as follows

-Service request June 17
-Service check June 22
-Replaced Compressor June 29 (Failed to fix the problem, charged $65/lb for Freon, really!? Most places I called charge around $50)
-Service check June 30th stated coils were broken and they will be back July 6th to install coils. Also the prices I'm being charged to bring my coils "up to code" are twice what other HVAC companies I've spoke to charge, it's absurd. Parts/Labor to install a 3.5 ton horizontal coil, not including the coil itself should be around $500, but ALL STAR is charging $1050!? It's taking about 3 weeks to fix my AC because of the bureaucracy and the holiday weekend, it should have been fixed long before the holiday weekend. Oh and I received a call giving me the number for a supervisor named Erica, I called immediately yesterday, and left two messages and I haven't heard back. Why do they give me the number for a supervisor if I can't get in touch with them!? I understand that everyone is busy right now but those words don't help someone who has been waiting weeks to get their AC fixed, and then I get gouged when the HVAC company has a chance to charge the customer directly.

Canceling policy

from Dallas Texas

Comments about American Home Shield Home Warranty Plan:

Terrible service, my oven has been broken for a month and it is excuse after excuse . I have requested a manger on 4 different occasions and there is never one available to speak with me. Forget it I give I am buying a new oven and cancelling

Stay Away!

from 43147

Comments about American Home Shield Home Warranty Plan:

We used AHS to replace a broken dishwasher in our first home. The experience was definitely satisfactory. However, we have tried to use AHS for our second home and have had problems. The contractors they choose for us are very poor quality, never ones I would trust or choose for myself. We paid the $75 service fee just to find out that our repair would not be covered. Overall, AHS has poor policies that do NOT help or protect their customers. Don't waste your money on AHS.

HORIABLE

from IL

Comments about American Home Shield Home Warranty Plan:

Waste of money, they take forever to repair, after three week of waiting for the furnace they sent the wrong one. I had to get the right one and pay out of pocket. American Home Shield is a rip off. It was a night mare to deal with !!! Caused a lot of problems for me. Run don't use them!!The worst company, even the heating company say they screw every thing up. Its cost more to have them then not.

unreliable

from Las Vegas, NV

Comments about American Home Shield Home Warranty Plan:

The cost is good for this, but for good reason. If something important is broken, like the water heater for example, you'd better like taking cold shower or take the time to boiler water, because they will not send someone over for over 24 hours. Very unreliable, no realistic measures for customer service.