2.8

Cons

• Customer Service:
    • Available Plans:

no problems!

I've had American Family for four years and have never had a problem with them.  The rates are fair (a LOT lower than Geico, who I had before Am Family) and the claims process went smoothly the two times I had to use them (unfortunately).  I never had contact with the agent, but his assistants are very professional and call to follow up on the claim.  Thank you American Family Insurance!

DO NOT SIGN WITH AMERICAN FAMILY!!!!!!

I had purchased a policy from American Family in June of 2010 I wanted to switched because I felt I was being over charged with my previous company. I was then told of American Family from a person that I know they liked there prices but had not been with them long. They had a pretty good quote so I told them I would look around and come back. When I got back with them later that same day I was then told it would be 20 dollars less than there original quote. So I said "lets do it". I signed the paper and had it deducted from my account. 3 days ago I had been sent a letter from American Family stating that they were going to take an additional 300 dollars out of my account on the 23rd which was 3 days ago and that they were going to deduct an additional 50 bucks each month after that. This company is more of a scam than an insurance company.

Don't let American Family Bully You

from Indiana

Comments about American Family Insurance:

American Family client ran a red light. AmFam tried to get me to settle for a 80/20 split of the accident. I sued their client personally for: damage to my vehicle, diminished value, rental, and storage for four months. I won and AmFam paid the claim.

• I am an employee or otherwise affiliated with the brand

Below grade company

from Gary Indiana 46406

Comments about American Family Insurance:

Filed a claim and they are super slow in response, also low balled both times, wanted to only pay 50% of damages. makes twice had to deall with American Family Insurance both times been lowballed in settlement avoid them at all costs young will not regret it. I'm insured with State Farm first time they had to settle for me because American Family Is A Poorly ran company

Worst Insurance Company I've Ever Dealt With!

from Eugene, OR

Comments about American Family Insurance:

I was hit by an American Family insured driver. It's 100% her fault, beyond debate. It should be a clean settlement but AF has something different in mind. They'be been dishonest and, to be frank, slimy. If this doesn't mirror your values, I'd recommend looking for another company. Or even if you don't care about the ethics, you might think about how they're wasting your money in a case like mine, when they can't even win in court. Besides, your insurance is supposed to be there to help you. I don't imagine you'll ever want to have to rely on this particular company to help you out. It doesn't look like that's really their thing.

SCAMER RIPS OFF DISABLED PEOPLE

from Missouri

Comments about American Family Insurance:

We are insured for everything but flood and earthquake our pump in the basment stop working during the night..Our basement flooded everything is lost we are supose to be insured for the pump but they said no we are not..I was sitting with both my parents when Hanna said we was insured for everything but flood and earthquakes..Both my parents are disabled my mom can't even walk she has to use wheelchair..After rerading and talking to others this company takes your money every month but then tells you when something happens that you are not insured..I would not trust this company and you can't be any lower than these people to rip off disabled people..Scum of the earth..

UNPROFESSIONAL

from SLC, UTAH

Comments about American Family Insurance:

SWITCHED FROM STATE FARM BECAUSE AMERICAN FAMILY OFFERED A BETTER MONTHLY COST FOR AUTO INSURANCE, HOWEVER IT HAS BEEN A NIGHTMARE FILING CLAIMS FOR AUTO DAMAGES... UNFORTUNATELY, I HAVE FILED TWO CLAIMS WITH AMERICAN WITHIN THE LAST 3 MONTHS, IT HAS BEEN 5 YEARS SINCE I'VE HAD AN ACCIDENT. I HAVE FILED BOTH CLAIMS USING THE 1800 NUMBER PROVIDED ON THE WEBSITE. THE CUSTOMER SERVICE IS HORRIBLE, THE REPRESENTATIVES ARE RUDE AND MAKE THE PROCESS A DRAG. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND YOU LOOK ELSE WHERE, IT MAY BE CHEAPER, BUT NOT WORTH IT.

Wasted 18 years of payments

from Mesa, Arizona, USA

Comments about American Family Insurance:

American Family, not, thieves is more like it. We had two claims of water damage. We have been cancelled. House, motorhome, and auto. So thanks you American Thieves who took our on time payments for 18 years. I'm sure you could of kept us, now that everything is fixed. Incompetent, arrogant, and useless. There is a job for you in DC.

• I am an employee or otherwise affiliated with the brand

AMERICA FAMILY INSURANCE IS THE "WORST"

from SACRAMENTO, CA

Comments about American Family Insurance:

We've had American Insurance Family for a long time and in 2004 we had a big accident whereby a drunk driver struck us causing our car to be totaled and injured 5 people including my 10 month old baby and my 72 yr. old mom. We claimed for underinsured coverage as the the driver who caused the accident had low coverage but they refused to settle with us. We hired a lawyer but nothing happened ( or we thought we are being sabotage by the lawyer and the insurance company who knows!) . It's been 12 long years and to think we used to be their loyal customer and paid our bills on time. I strongly advised everyone to stay away from this company as the people who run this company are heartless and just after your money. If something big happened they will turn their back on you. THE WORST INSURANCE COMPANY EVER!!!! MY ACTUAL RATING IS 000 BUT INORDER FOR THIS REVIEW TO GO THROUGH I JUST CLICK 1 STAR EVEN THOUGH THEY DON'T DESERVE EVEN 1 STAR!!!

DON'T USE THIS COMPANY HAVE A CLAIM THIS COMPANY IS NO HELP

from ATLANTA GA

Comments about American Family Insurance:

I HAD STORM DAMAGE IS APRIL OF 2015, AND STILL NO SETTLEMENT OVER 600K IN DAMAGE AND LOST, PLEASE DON'T USE THIS COMPANY THEY DON'T CARE AMERICAN FAMILY INSURANCE COMPANY JUST WANT YOUR MONTHLY PAYMENTS ONLY, THEY WILL NOT BE THEIR WHEN YOU HAVE A LOST.
E TAYLOR ATLANTA

CANNOT BE TRUSTED

from Omaha, NE.

Comments about American Family Insurance:

My home is in a designated 100 year flood zone. As my flood policy will expire next year, I requested flood insurance through the agent who handles my home insurance, Zach at Tim Clary Agency in Omaha. Zach, who is just new to the business, told me if I wanted flood insurance I would have to get an elevation certificate. I was upset because they cost about $500.00 and I already have flood insurance now that I got when I took out my Reverse Mortgage this year. In fact, I called the agent who handles my current flood insurance and he told me the gov't no longer requires those. I called Zach again and he argued and said I was wrong and that I could not get flood insurance without the certificate. Period. I then called the American Family customer service main number to find out what was fact. They could not answer it either! They also informed me that my agent had just called my Reverse Mortgage company. I was extremely upset and called Zach to tell him that I was not happy about him calling my lender. I said, "You told me you could not get flood insurance for me. Period. So why would you have to call my Mortgage lender?". He told me that as my agent he needs to be in close contact with them. I called the corporate office and explained what happened and that I was extremely upset that he called my Reverse Mortgage Lender. Some rude jerk named Rich Dixon then called me regarding my complaint. He told me that the agent called them because he was "looking out for my interests". I said what interests? He then said that I had told the agent that I "was not sure that I had flood insurance". A total and complete LIE. And I told him so. However, he did not believe me and took the side of the agent. I am cancelling my insurance with American Family. A bunch of arrogant liars! Just lucky I found out before I had to file any kind of claim!!

Worst Insurance Company EVER

from Stone Mountain,,Ga

Comments about American Family Insurance:

By far the worst insurance company I've EVER dealt with. Insurance agent sold me a dream. He hounded me to come me on board. Once on board, he did not submit proper paperwork for automatic draft billing. As a result, I now have to pay the Georgia Department of Revenue for insurance lapse. Agent Bernard Uptgrow (Georgia) now has a memory lapse. Third mishap with this company since 07/2015. Disgusted customer!!!!