Other Credit Cards:

American Express - Gift Card

Pros

Cons

• Available Rates:

American Express had awesome customer service.

I had a problem at a gas station overcharging me when I used my card. American Express fixed the problem quickly credited my account correctly and were very nice over the phone. Plus all I had to do is call one number to get the problem resolved. I will never buy a gift card from anyone else.

Seems to be More of a Nuisance than Anything Else

At first, the idea of a pre-paid gift card that is backed by a major credit card company sounds like a fantastic idea. You can use it anywhere! On anything! What could be...Read complete review

At first, the idea of a pre-paid gift card that is backed by a major credit card company sounds like a fantastic idea. You can use it anywhere! On anything! What could be better?

Which is exactly what you think, until you try to use the thing. First though, before I even get to the spending part, be aware, to purchase one of these little buggers isn't exactly cheap. For a $25 gift card, you get hit with a $3.95 surcharge. Ouch! For a $50 card, the surcharge is $4.95, and as you can imagine the fees just keep going up with the denomination you purchase.

I completely understand that of course you're going to have to pay a fee for the card, but $3.95 on a $25 gift card? That's absurd. Go with $1.50 and you've got me as a devoted gift giver. But hopefully not a gift receiver, as these beasts are hard to use.

If you take one of these into a retail store that accepts American Express, say you have a $25 gift card, and your purchase total is $30. Hand over the card, and what would you expect to happen? The $25 comes off of your total and the cashier asks you for the remaining $5. All is well and right with the world. WRONG! Hand over the card, cashier swipes it and it pops up as declined! The cashier has to enter the specific amount you have on the card that you wish to use. Which could almost be ok, if you're using the full amount of the card. But if say, your total is only $12.57? There's still $12.43 left on your card, and you need to remember that exact amount or the card is just going to keep being declined, or worse, you use it a few random times on small amounts, still have a little bit left on the card, but you keep getting it declined because you don't know what's left on it, get frustrated and toss the thing. Money wasted!

Seriously, I've never understood the use of these over a nice crisp bill. Less hassle, less headaches!

Great credit card!

from BREA, CA

Comments about American Express - Gift Card:

I have had American Express for 10 years and the rewards program is awesome. I used my points for a bathroom shelf and it was exactly as pictured and arrived very quickly. Also, I have never had a dispute with them and when I asked for a credit increase they responded very fast!

I want to use American Express Gift Card

from Belaruse - Minsk city

I read about this Card !! I wish to use it
want to know how is it good as they wrote
hope that :)

• I am an employee or otherwise affiliated with the brand

good one

from Libya

Comments about American Express - Gift Card:

good one... i hope recive one

a nice gesture

from Coronado, CA

Comments about American Express - Gift Card:

The American express gift card seems like a nice thoughtful gift, it is an American Ezpress card and it can be used almost anywhere. It can be also be purchased almost anywhere...so what's the three stars for ? ? Well, this card if not used in a timely manner will begin to lose it's balance, yes money will actually be taken off your gift card and your balance will go down, this means the person who purchased it for you and the recipient lose money. How fair is that ?? Not fair at all, that kund of takes away from the whole gift idea. If you purchase this card, instruct the user to use it sooner than later. Also, putting money on card cost, not just the amount balance, but you are actually charged to put money in one of these American Express gift cards.

I think this card looks nice, the online customer service is ok and it makes a nice gift for a frequent shopper, gut if you intend to purchase for someone who likes to stick these in their wallet or purse for long periods of time and forgets about them, then a real gift card from a store they frequent or cash would be best.

Good alternative.

from Florida

Comments about American Express - Gift Card:

The American Express gift card is a great alternative to using your debit card for online purchases. It's also good if you're trying to budget.

I have bought a couple every month and slotted them for certain kinds of spending. It helps make sticking to a budget a lot easier. I get one for gas and one for extra spending , load how much I have budgeted on the gift card and that is my allowance for the month.

You can get them virtually anywhere and use them online, in person or over the phone. I think gift cards that are usuable at any store make more sense than ones that are tied to just one store.

They also make good gifts. I have purchased them and given them as gifts several times in the past.

Overall they are great, weather you are going to give them as a gift or keep them and spend them yourself.

Because they are prepaid and a gift card there isn't really a customer service place like you would usually think of. But they do have a good online customer service website.

• Available Rates:

Great Gift -it the right color and one size does fit all

from Peoria, AZ

Comments about American Express - Gift Card:

We have found that American Express gift cards makes wonderful gifts for family and friends. They are always received with appreciation. The American Express gift card looks quality and makes a great gift for when you aren't sure about sizes and it's perfect for the person that has everything. You use it like it was a credit card and it is accepted anywhere that takes American Express. Yes, it can even be used at movie theaters and restaurants. The recipient of this card can choose when and where they use it and on what they buy. It does cost a small amount but I figure that we save more than that in postage. I found out recently that some of our older friends have been using them at the gas station and grocery store. What I like is the funds on the card do not expire and they do not charge any monthly fees. the cards are refundable if lost or stolen. (I would highly recommend that you keep a copy of your receipt in a safe place which makes it fast and easy to replace)

Customer Service
I have only called their customer service once to ask questions and they were quick to respond and extremely courteous and helpful.

Available Rates
The cost of the card is minimal and we feel that it is much less expensive than postage.

Accepted everywhere.

Comments about American Express - Gift Card:

When I give gift cards, I generally choose the American Express or Visa gift card.You can use this card exactly as you would a debit or credit card. As long as AA is accepted by the retailer, you can use the gift card. There is no requirement to call in and activate the card. You can simply use it at an ATM machine, or take it to any retailer, restaurant, or facility that accepts American, and pay as you would any purchase.

Customer Service
They are very helpful for refilling the card. You can add funds this card when they run out. You don't have to speak to an agent. Simply call, input the amount you want to add, and give them a credit card number to refill the card. If you do have issues with spending the gift card, or want to find out where you can use it, you can find the information on their website, or speak to a customer service agent as well.

Available Rates
You don't pay interest rates. The only fee you pay is for activation of the card, but this is paid when you purchase the gift card. So, the recipient will have the full dollar amount to spend when they use the gift card to make purchases.

American Express gift cards

Comments about American Express - Gift Card:

I have both received and purchases the American Express gift card. Using it is simple, you just swipe it and sign like it is a normal credit card. You can use it anywhere American Express is accepted. I really like these gift cards because if it is involved in a data breach the thief is not getting access to your regular credit or debit card. Using gift cards like this is both safe and is helpful with staying on a budget. My only complaint is that when you buy these you have to pay an activation fee. I do not understand why you have to pay a fee on top of what you are putting on the card. Also if you do not use them after a certain amount of time they start deducting money every month.

Available Rates
There are no rates associated with this card. It is a gift card. Once the amount put on the card is spent you can refill it or throw it out. You are not putting charges on it like a normal credit card.

These make great gifts

Comments about American Express - Gift Card:

I have never purchased one of these for someone else, but I have received many of them over the years. I love getting these as gifts! It's as good as cash. I can pretty much use it anywhere I wanted. Their customer service is awesome! Any time I've ever had an issue or wanted to know my balance I could quickly and easily find the answer I needed.

Customer Service
Like I stated above, their customer service is great. They are always quick to help out whether it was a simple question about my balance, or a great issue of a company over charging me. I have always had pleasant conversations with their customer service team.

Available Rates
I'm not sure what their rates would be since I have never purchased one of these gift cards for someone else. Their rates when you use the card are acceptable, and the fee they charge you when you have the card for over a year are a bit high, but then why are you sitting on a gift card and not using it for over a year?

• Available Rates:

Reliable, long-dated prepaid card payment

Comments about American Express - Gift Card:

I do focus groups occasionally, and one paid me the total amount by dividing it among three different prepaid American Express gift cards. I am always pleased to receive prepaid gift cards because of my online shopping preferences, and I was happy to try the American Express gift cards. Although they come with more literature than other prepaid cards, some of which come with none, the American Express gift cards also offer the protections of American Express, so the booklet is worth reading. Additionally, these cards are long-dated by a number of years, so you have plenty of time to use them, and even if you use them quickly, the card remains active until expiration. While I do wish they were refillable, even a long-dated card without a balance can be useful in signing up for online accounts that just want a card to verify identity, not charge. I was very pleased to be paid that day with American Express gift cards, and I am still pleased to be using them.