View more e readers

Other e-Readers:
Amazon
Amazon Kindle (First Generation)

Amazon Kindle (First Generation)

Pros

Cons

• Readability:

the kindle is symbiosis for a techie who loves to read

I love my kindle 2 and only wish I had more time to read books on it.  The photo and text clarity is amazing, and the photo zoom feature is awesome.  I love the free books that always come available from Amazon.  I also love that I can email and download my own documents for free (I use this feature a lot).  Anything to save money helps considering the hefty price tag on the kindle.  The kindle is not for people attached to the sentimental feeling of turning a paper page.  It is for someone who is never home, needs a lot of books, and likes technology.  The kindle has so many features I haven't even learned to use them all.  You can't beat unlimited storage either.  I've never had a problem with it freezing up which is more than I can say for any other piece of technology I have owned.  The battery lasts forever.  The audio read feature allows me to listen to a book while driving.  Finally, I have found it to be invaluable while working full time and attending college because I can download all my essays, syllabi, notes, etc. and take them with me everywhere without carrying 3 or 4 bags at once.

Kindle is a great idea with a few cons

My husband surprised me with a Kindle for Christmas since he knows how much I love to read. I did like it when trying it as it was smaller in my hands and lighter than a book. I also thought it was cool that I could get any book that I wanted within seconds. This of course comes with a price... a very pricey one if you ask me! I was very surprised to see that many of the books by my favorite authors were almost as much as buying the book itself! This could be an expensive item. I also didn't like that tehre is no light with it so you have to either attach one of just read with the light on. I also wasn't thrilled with the keyboard set up. However the biggest downer is that with other ereaders you can connect to the library and rent books for free where with the kindle you have to pay for most of the books you get.

Good for travelings

from Guanica, PR

About Me Practical, Student

Pros

• Attractive Design
  • Easy To Read
  • Good Screen Quality
  • Long Battery Life

Cons

• Limited Storage

• Academics
  • Everyday
  • Multimedia
  • Travel

Comments about Amazon Kindle (First Generation):

For travelings is a good option to stay relax and have a good quality

• Was this a gift?:
  • I am an employee or otherwise affiliated with the brand

The original Kindle is just for reading

from Layton, UT

Comments about Amazon Kindle (First Generation):

My husband and I received the original (1st generation) Kindle from my mother in law. It was a surprise Christmas gift, and as e readers were totally new that year, we had NO idea what it was. It definitely took some time to figure out how to use it, but I was fascinated my the "magnetic ink" screen-I spend so much time looking at glowing computer, TV and tablet screens, it is nice to give my eyes a rest and read from a non glowing surface. Because this kindle is not a tablet, it is a little trickier to shop for new books. The other thing to consider is that because the screen does not glow, you need a light to read in the dark, just like you would with any paper book.

Kindle 1st gen

from Schenectady, NY

Comments about Amazon Kindle (First Generation):

Reading a kindle is very much like reading a regular book without the page turning. My husband bought this first gen when they first came out. The thing is great. Tons of books you can choose from, easy to read, very user friendly. Very durable too. Good size so it is easy to take around with you. My only issue with it is you do need a light on at night, the same as a regular book. Would be nice to have it backlit.

Good E-Reader for the Beach

Comments about Amazon Kindle (First Generation):

If you just want an e-reader for light reading or something simple that isnt difficult to use, this e-reader is it. The battery life is a little bit shorter than other e-readers in my own opinion. The one I have dies after 3-4 hours of reading while other e-readers I've had can go 5-6 hours on a fully charged battery. This e-reader's screen is much easier to see in sunlight than others and is great for the beach.

Battery Life
Not as great as other e-readers but good enough for a few hours of reading.

Book Choices/Variety
Can get books from amazon.com. Has a pretty large selection.

Readability
Easiest e-reader to read in sunlight.

Very simple to use.

Not as sleek or cool looking as others but slim and portable.

• Readability:

I love my Kindle but . . .

from Henderson, CO

Comments about Amazon Kindle (First Generation):

I love my Kindle but I wish it had a lighted screen because I like to read at night before I go to bed. I know that the new generations do but I got this one as a gift and it still works great. I love how you can have so many books on one device. It is lightweight and easy to carry. The Kindle is a lot lighter and smaller than my iPad so it is easier for me to carry with me everywhere I go. I use the Kindle to read all of the time unless I am on vacation as I do not want to leave my Kindle in my chair at the beach while I am in the water. If someone takes my book I am ok with it, I would not be ok if someone took my Kindle. I do miss turning the actual pages and seeing the progress I have made with a bookmark but I don't miss carrying around several books at once. My kids have even used the Kindle for college books that are not available in print.

Battery Life
The battery lasts a very long time.

Book Choices/Variety
So many books, so little time.

Hard to read at night.

• Readability:

So many books in a Small and Easy to Use Device!

from Fairfax, MN

I LOVE my amazon kindle.

I got it a few months ago and already have 50+ books on it. I take it just about everywhere. I read it in the car, at a hotel, sitting at home.... There's no glare on the screen so it's easy to read. It's also incredibly easy to figure out how to run. The buttons aren't too easy to push so you wont accidentally end up turning a few pages if you bump it. I also use it to check my email or do a search on wikipedia (this one can't handle things like facebook otherwise I'd use it for that too!) It has a dictionary built right into it so if you don't know a word in a story your reading you can quickly scroll to it and the definition pops up immediately at the bottom of the screen (comes in handy with all the classic novels I read!)

And another plus is that the battery lasts for a long time. I haven't charged it for weeks and it's still running (which is a good thing because I'm currently looking for my charger. Oops!)

Plus the price of the online books are pretty decent. And you can get almost all of the classics FREE, which is great for me because I LOVE classic old novels. I did buy a few books and have even fallen in love with recipe books.

Battery Life
Lasts quite a long time. Long enough where I forget I have to even charge it until it reminds me. It also charges rather quickly and it's nice that it can be charged through an outlet or by being hooked up to your computer.

Book Choices/Variety
There are many options in genre (everything from sci-fi to cooking books), and many options in price (even free!) I love the "classic" books (like Jane Austen's or Bram Stoker, things like that) and it's great to be able to get them for free. I've also dabbled in the recipe books among other things and they're nice as well.

Readability
It's great- no glare or anything. The only thing to improve it would be the ability to read it at night without having lights on. I really don't have this option either way, otherwise. I live in a college dorm and if my room mate wants to sleep, I don't want to bother her with a light so I can read it.

Buttons are easy to press, it takes a while longer to use internet on it, but that's fine since mine is the earlier version. I may need to upgrade eventually unless I decide to get a table.

Small so you can take it everywhere and carry it in anything, but also very sturdy.

I can honestly say I've dropped it a few times, like I end up doing somehow with most of my electronics. It's still working great. I would even say it's in the same condition it was in when I bought it brand new at the store almost two ? years ago.

Lovin' my Kindle!

from Pittsfield, IL

Comments about Amazon Kindle (First Generation):

I waited a while before I started researching the First Generation Kindle. I wanted to read reviews of the initial Kindle users and then decide my purchase based on how others were doing with theirs. I read the pros and cons and then bit the bullet and purchased it. I knew what I was getting in to and was prepared for the cons. I've been using my Kindle for 6 months now. I purchased a very inexpensive clip on light to deal with the "reading in the dark" issue and its working out great. Other than that the other cons were not issues to me. I love that I can catergorize my books (cookbooks, self-help, fiction, reference, etc.). The more I use it the more I learn about its functionality and its been wonderful when traveling, waiting in the doctor's office and sitting in the comfort of my home. Would not trade it!

i love my kindle!

from San Bernardino, CA

Comments about Amazon Kindle (First Generation):

The kindle is great! Mine is a first generation so the newer ones now have elev more fores but if you just want to be able to read a book anytime this type of device is for you. It fits easily in my purse or backpack or diaper bag and has over 300 books stored!

Battery Life
Buy an extra battery when you get the device as you may need it in a few years!

Book Choices/Variety
Lots to choose from and many classics are free!

• Readability:

Never want to put it down!

from Naples, FL

Comments about Amazon Kindle (First Generation):

This is the most INCREDIBLE invention known to mankind!! I book that I can carry and read anywhere!!! I just can't believe this exists - this really completes my life! It holds SO many books and gives me so many options to do my favorite hobby while sitting on the beach!

Readability
It is a little difficult to read in direct sunlight - but stll possible!

Kindle 3G

from Liverpool, NY

Comments about Amazon Kindle (First Generation):

They don't even make this version anymore but it's a great e-reader which can be used in any light without glare. Just like reading a real book. I read mine while riding my exercise bike and it makes that 50 minutes just fly by. Easy to use and so easy to download the books. Just turn on the wireless feature and poof there's the book.
Keep the wireless feature off for a battery life of at least a month used daily for an hour.