Other e-Readers:
53 000402
Amazon Kindle Fire HD 7"

Amazon Kindle Fire HD 7"

Memoralize, View, Read, Search and Communicate with One Device

This portable device serves as a camera, can be used to read books, newspapers and magazines, can be utilized for viewing movies and television shows, and works great for accessing the internet. My husband and I purchased this as a joint July birthday gift and we both agree this is a product that exceeded our already high expectations. I already owned a Kindle E-reader which I used to read The Washington Post online as well as purchase books so we were already familiar with this line. The main reason for obtaining this was to use the internet capability during our various travels . . . the laptop we own was getting to be a bit cumbersome and finding a hotel with a free Wi-Fi signal was a pain as we learned in Atlantic City. The bonus item for us was the camera feature so we do not have to carry a separate device any longer. The icing-on-the-cake was being able to order movies through Amazon.com and watching them on our HDTV by using an HDMI cable. This purchase is paying for itself in so many ways and our only regret is that we did not buy it sooner. We were singing this device's praises to our mutual friends and found out that one of their relatives was considering a Kindle Fire. After consulting with us and hearing the many benefits of this technology, they purchased this item.

Battery Life
Lasts for several hours and charges quickly. A power cord was not included with my purchase; however, I already owned one included with my Kindle E-reader.

Book Choices/Variety
Since this product is tied to Amazon.com, book choices, as well as movies, magazines and newspapers, are numerous. Purchasing an Amazon Prime membership offers benefits beyond the basic package.

Readability
Love the fact that it is backlit so no outside reading light source is required at night. The colors are vivid and the images sharp.

A virtual keyboard appears on the screen when the cursor is placed in a search or fill-in field. Otherwise, touch is used to maneuver through the various screen displays and to enlarge areas of the screen.

The "on/off" button is recessed on the top which makes it difficult to locate; I prefer the slide-type button on the regular Kindle Reader. I dislike the limited number of tabs that can be open at one time while using the internet. The camera is a bonus I was not expecting; however, I have not used it yet so I cannot comment on its ease of use or the quality of pictures. The one negative of the camera is it does not have a viewfinder. The device is sized so that it is easy to handle as well as transport, yet the screen is large enough to readily view documents.

This is an electronic device and care should be taken in handling; never-the-less it is made of quality materials and a carrying case would ensure an increase in longevity of the look and use of this product.

Kindle Fire is a good e-reader but not a great tablet.

Pros

-The battery life is good.

-There are many free books under public domain, and all of the other books I've gone looking for I found without a...Read complete review

Pros

-The battery life is good.

-There are many free books under public domain, and all of the other books I've gone looking for I found without a problem.

-The physical design is nice, and a lot of the features are easy to figure out on your own.

-This has a nice display and is good for Netflix and Flixster.

Cons

-I don't know why I would want to see the percentage of the book I've read as opposed to page numbers.

-This is the only Kindle Fire HD (7") model with no camera. Not entirely sure who thought that would be a great idea but they should be manning a tower in Alaska by the end of the day. Also on all or most models, there is only a front facing camera for apps like Skype, Line and Viber.

-There are no Google apps even though it's an Android based OS.

-Bluetooth is nearly impossible to any device that isn't a Kindle. This device is so snooty that it is IMPOSSIBLE to send anything over bluetooth without a wireless network being accessed. But if I have wifi, I could just email it to the other person-likely the reason why I wanted bluetooth in the first place. Fire the person that came up with that idea.

-There is no inherent calculator. There's a default contacts app and a calendar but apparently you'll never have to add or subtract anything on your Fire. And why would you when Kindle automatically tells you the percentage of your book that you've finished. You had one job, calc programmer.

-ADS. Every time you wake your device, there's an ad on your screen. Seeing adverts for horror shows and films turns me off completely. I have no interest in them and neither does the person next to me in a business meeting. We're both wondering how this happened.

-When using my Kindle, I never know what day it is. Not because I'm lost in a really good book...but because there is no date display. I could be experiencing a groundhog day for all I know. So I have a time with no date and percentages with no calculator. You had one job, time programmer.

-Your only access to the system's menu is to drag it down from the top. If something happens that prevents that access, the usefullness of your device rivals that of the employees we fired earlier in this review.

This should be called Kindle Ember. It's aesthetically pleasing and if you're not very tech savvy, then you'll love it (just like Windows 8!) However, if your intentions are to use every feature on this seemingly user friendly device then you will be met with disappointment (just like Windows 8!). I would use this as a backup device but I think I'll stick to Android tablets in the future.

Easy to Use

from Bunnie Leigh

About Me Frequent Traveler, Gearhead, Practical

Pros

• Attractive Design
  • Compact Design
  • Durable
  • Easy To Read
  • Good Compatibility
  • Good Screen Quality
  • Great Software Bundle
  • Long Battery Life

Cons

• Limited Storage

• Academics
  • Entertainment
  • Everyday
  • Multimedia
  • Travel

Comments about Amazon Kindle Fire HD 7":

I love my Kindle but I do not the limited storage. I love books and have tons of them in digital form. I hate that I can't fit them all on my Kindle. I have to have two devices. One for my kindle books and one for my pdf files.

• Was this a gift?:

Excellent for kids

from Buffalo, NY

About Me Practical

Pros

• Durable
  • Easy To Read
  • Good Screen Quality
  • Great Software Bundle
  • Long Battery Life

• Academics
    • Commutting
    • Entertainment
    • Everyday

Comments about Amazon Kindle Fire HD 7":

I love these tablets for my kids they are simple to use and are durable. I even bought one for my mother in-law who never even owned a computer or smart phone she is now addicted to it lol. Anytime I have ever had an issue I just contact Amazon suppprt and they are great and will help you with everything. For the price of these tablets it's a steal.

• Was this a gift?:

Kindle Fire provides great mobile experience.

Comments about Amazon Kindle Fire HD 7":

I use my Kindle mostly for school (email, internet, textbook ebooks, distractions) so I don't have to carry around a computer, and it is amazing for this purpose!

Battery Life
    I use my Kindle for college, and I use it pretty constantly for an entire school day. I have never had the battery run out during the day (unless I forget to charge it the night before), and I always have battery to spare when I get home. I've been using it for a year, and I haven't noticed a battery life decline at all. On a medium brightness setting, it would probably last between 8 and 10 hours.

Book Choices/Variety
    I have never wanted to get a book and not been able to find it. Many of my college textbooks were available as ebooks on my kindle, and viewing them was very easy.

Readability
    Sometimes, reading with the bright screen is difficult, but I do like the many options for the text (11 font sizes, 3 line spacings, 3 margin sizes, 3 background colors, and 6 fonts). When reading textbooks or pdfs (which have a fixed page to make the diagrams and other non-text elements work right), it's best to read horizontally on your kindle, so the text is bigger.

I've dropped it many times, had it rattle around my backpack with pens and pencils and knitting needles (and even scissors) in all kinds of weather, and I don't have a case for it. It has held up great! There's one tiny scratch on the side of the screen, but again, it was rattling around in my backpack with sharp objects.

Love the Kindle

from Texas

Comments about Amazon Kindle Fire HD 7":

I really enjoy this Kindle and can't imagine traveling without it. Works great to get emails, for reading on a airplane, you can play games, or watch movies. It's the one thing I make sure I have when we travel by car or plane. Up until recently I had never used it as a camera but I actually think it takes better or at least as good of pictures as my new digital camera.

Battery Life
    The new Kindle Color Fire battery doesn't last as long as my old Kindle but you just need to plug in or use car charger to get a quick battery charge.

Book Choices/Variety
    I can't read fast enough or long enough to read all of the choices. You can even do newspaper or magazine reading if you want.

Readability
    The size of the prize can be adjusted and the print color can be changed and even the background color can be switched to make reading comfortable and enjoyable. Personally, I like putting on my headphone and enjoy having it read to me. You can even have a male or female voice to read to you

Not really difficult to use but it doesn't come with a old fashion manual so to me that is a negative. Ever so often I find out the Kindle does something I didn't know. The tech support is the best that you can imagine and I give them kudo's galore but if you don't know something can be done you don't know what to ask them to help you with.

Kindles are easy to use but each model they do seem to change the buttons which makes it a challenge to help a friend. I love the screensavers and all of the extra's that are available.

I use mine constantly and only replaced the "old" one as it was not in color.

Excellent device

Comments about Amazon Kindle Fire HD 7":

I will start by saying that I am no stranger to e-readers. I've owned a few different models, some plain text readers and some tablets. I was actually very happy with my original Kindle Fire and had no plans to upgrade it. I just didn't think it was necessary at the time. That is until my fiance surprised me with the Kindle Fire HD for Christmas.

This is a notable upgrade from the Kindle Fire. It's lighter, faster, has better connectivity and batter life, and the interface is a lot smoother and even more intuitive than the original.

I am very happy! Having a nice reader like the Kindle Fire HD has completely changed my reading habits. I read more, I'm more apt to venture outside my favorite genres, and I can easily share quotes and favorite passages with my friends through Twitter and Facebook. There's a lot of great features here that I originally didn't see myself using but have really come to enjoy.

Battery Life
    The battery life is much improved, though certain functions (like playing games) are definitely a drain.

Book Choices/Variety
    The book choices are literally endless. It is true that some of my favorite titles are not yet available, but that's more to due with stubborn publishers and cannot be blamed on the device.

There are daily deals that offer discounted titles and I've found some new favorites by snapping them up. It's definitely worth looking at the deals and special offers.

No problems here!

I love that the text size and screen color can be changed. I usually have my screen color set to the beige, because I find it easier on the eyes.

I'm very happy with the design changes. For instance, the volume controls are now on the back of the device rather than accessible through a menu. The power button has also been moved and I no longer find myself accidentally turning my Kindle off while reading (which used to happen a lot).

Best purchase ever!

Comments about Amazon Kindle Fire HD 7":

I love my Kindle Fire HD 7" more and more each day! I have had my Kindle now for about 7 months and don't know how I managed without one before. I use my Kindle more than I use my laptop. I use it for email, Facebook, watching tv, searching the web, playing games and reading books. It is great for keeping my kids busy as well. As a matter of fact, my three kids would fight over it, so the older ones got their own for Christmas. I also have an e-reader / tablet of another popular brand and I much prefer my Kindle Fire HD 7". It is very easy to use and is also very durable. We had a screen issue with one of our Kindle Fires and Amazon's Kindle customer service was amazing and very quickly sent us a replacement. The only negative I have regarding this Kindle is the battery charge doesn't seem to last near as long as they state. However, this is just a minor issue to me as we have plenty of wall chargers as well as a car charger. I love that you can still use it while it is charging as well. Again, I love my Kindle Fird HD 7" and don't know what I would do without it!

• Readability:

Makes reading, watching movies/listening 2 music on the go easy.

Comments about Amazon Kindle Fire HD 7":

I use the kindle on my daily commute to work. I can listen to my music and read without having to carry multiple devices or actual books. Visual and audio quality are excellent and has good memory capacity. I have over 700 songs on the device, multiple books and a few tv shows. I highly recommend.

• Readability:

Bought it to read books...found out I could do so much more!

Comments about Amazon Kindle Fire HD 7":

I love this tablet! It does so much more than I ever dreamed, it has almost taken the place of my laptop! It streams and/or downloads movies without any problems, I can play games, browse the internet, check my social networks, check email, listen to audio books and read books and magazines! I purchased it with WiFi capability only and have no problems connecting to a local network. I also purchased the Ads included model for a lesser price and if I don't want to look at them, I simply have to click past them at start-up Did I say I love this Kindle, well I do!! If you want a reasonably priced all purpose / high quality tablet, this is it!!

Battery Life
    Because I download and watch a lot of movies and also have my email and social network accounts active all the time, my battery will drop to low level within a few hours. If I just read books it does last quite a long time, a few days before needing charged again.

Book Choices/Variety
    The number of books offered for free or a minimal charge is almost limitless. The "borrow" feature and "loan a book" feature both are very limited. I have been told these options are at the discretion of the book publishers. It has no direct reflection of the Kindle Fire HD operation, it is merely a disappointment that not all books are loanable. !

Readability
    I do most of my reading at night in bed and this Kindle is excellent for this. The back light isn't annoying to my husband trying to sleep, yet is perfect for my reading. There is a zoom feature for when you may need larger print font size and the font type can be changed if you don't like the default font.

I was able to explore all the features and successfully get each feature I wanted to use to work. I was disappointed in the Help files, they are vague and don't seem to cover all topics that need addressed.

I bought the 7" because I didn't want a large tablet to hold while reading in bed. I wanted something more the size of most books. It is very light and sleek with it's thin design.

Because I only purchased my Kindle only 4 months ago, I don't feel that I can offer a true rating for it's durability. I will say though, I purchased an extended warranty for it and I am beginning to think that I may have wasted some money. However, if I should drop it or step on it and damage it, then the warranty program will be worth the money!

• Readability:

Excellent value for the money with good processor and display

Comments about Amazon Kindle Fire HD 7":

The only major drawback I can detect is the lack of a micro sd card slot. Otherwise, this versatile product operates speedily and has an excellent display and battery life. Furthermore, there are countless apps available for both recreational and more professional purposes in the amazon appstore, many of which are specially designed for the kindle fire hd tablet. Some are free, while others are available for a usually nominal fee. It is noteworthy that, although this is a great product, there are occasional issues with non-app online games. Also, this tablet does become somewhat hot (as with any electronic), after long periods of sustained usage. Lastly, this tablet needs more storage, but the amount provided is sufficient and reasonable considering the cost and features of this tablet. Reiteratively, it is an excellent value for the money.

Battery Life
    One charge lasts nearly all day.

• Readability:

Kindle Fire is a good e-reader but not a great tablet.

from Collinsville, IL

Comments about Amazon Kindle Fire HD 7":

Pros

-The battery life is good.

-This has a nice display and is good for Netflix and Flixster.

Cons

-There are no Google apps even though it's an Android based OS.