View more e readers

Amazon Kindle 3 (Wi-Fi)

Pros

Cons

The Kindle 3 is a Great Way to Read Your Books

I love the Kindle 3. I got it as a Christmas present and have been reading it every night. I can't seem to put it down!

I only got the...Read complete review

I only got the Wi-Fi version which is fine with me because I can't forsee a situation where I'm in some little town in Spain and I suddenly have to have a book. So not having the 3G model is no big deal to me. If I go on vacation I'll load up on books before I leave.

As for using the Kindle 3, I don't really have any substantial complaints. I love the way it feels in my hand, I still haven't gotten tired or felt uncomfortable holding it for any extended periods of time. The screen is amazing and every single letter is cystal clear and pops out of the screen, making reading on your eyes very easy. Marking pages, annotations, and notes are also possible and simple to do.

Not to mention that with its Whispersync technology, I can continue reading my stories on my iPhone (or iPad, or computer, or android...) and it will automatically remember where I left of on both devices! How cool is that?

The battery so far has been great. Haven't had to charge it once yet. Finding and downloading books (it holds 3,500 books by the way)is also a breeze and surprisingly really fast. And the price you pay compared to a hardcover book price is not even funny. Way cheaper on my Kindle.

The Kindle store also offers magazines, free books, audiobooks, and games so you will never run out of stuff to do on your Kindle device.

To be fair and honest I have not tried it in the dark with a light on it, so I can't comment on whether reading with a book light is a good or bad thing. I also must say that sometimes you don't have to adjust the screen for a glare that may come from an artificial light source and that there are some books that I will want to have in book form because sometimes you just cant beat the feel of a great book in your hand.

I highly recommend getting a Kindle 3. If you are an avid reader or just a casual reader it will work for both of you. And think about all the space you'll save in your luggage when you don't have to carry 3 or 5 different books with you on vacation.

The Kindle is not the best eReader, but it's good

It may be the best eReader for you, though.

It may be the best eReader for you, though.

The Kindle has eInk technology, and not a backlit screen, which means you can't read it in the dark but it won't strain your eyes like a normal computer screen. This is a very comfortable way to read.

I love that the page-turning buttons to go forward and back are on each side of the reader, so you can hold it in either hand and turn pages without the use of your second hand.

You can only read books from the Kindle store or PDF files on your reader, so be sure that you want to obtain your books in those formats before purchasing. And not all books from the Kindle store have page numbers (this is a new development) so if that bugs you stay away for now. You can connect to wifi networks to browse the internet, or make book purchases from Amazon. Don't expect great browsing ability, however. The screen is not large, and the black-and-white screen with slow load times is not ideal. This eReader is best for reading.

Basic reader that gets the job done

from Midland, MI

Comments about Amazon Kindle 3 (Wi-Fi):

If you compare this reader with a Kindle Fire, or another touch screen model you will likely be disappointed. I own loads of e-books and have an iPad, and admit that it is easier to navigate around things with an iPad. But, I still love reading on my Kindle 3. They're discontinued now, but people are still selling them when they upgrade.

Battery Life
I can read for weeks on the same battery charge. I think this is one of the best features of this older generation Kindle.

Book Choices/Variety
There are tens of thousands of books you can get for free or purchase through amazon.com and other vendors.

Readability
Another nice feature of this reader is that the pages look like print pages, and don't emit a very bright light. This presents a problem if you're reading in a dimly lit room because you will need a reading light, but they sell them that snap right onto the top of the reader so if you get one of those, you're good to go.

As I mentioned it's a little harder to navigate with this device than a touch screen, but once you work out the buttons, and set everything up in the Kindle store, using it is a breeze. I also like that the screen stays locked in one position, which isn't the case with an iPad or another reader unless you change the settings.

I have had this reader for years and love it. It still works the same as it did the day I received it.

• Readability:

Convienient reading with user friendly annotations.

from Garland, TX

Comments about Amazon Kindle 3 (Wi-Fi):

Occasionally I do book cover art and light editing work. Reading through a book and making notes regarding artwork ideas -- as well as corrections and other light editing work -- is easy with the Kindle 3.

Lightweight, slim and easy to hold. The Kindle 3 provides a great strain-free reading experience (with adequate light) with the added feature of a keyboard for easily making notes. I am no longer stuck in front of the computer!

Battery Life
I have never had a situation where the battery died or "needed" to be charged. I would rate the battery life as outstanding!

Readability
In the appropriate light, reading the Kindle is a pleasure. The darkness of the text on my Kindle does seem to vary depending where on the screen it is located, but it is very minor and hardly noticeable. Eye strain is greatly reduced versus reading for long periods on a back-lit monitor. In low light situations, an external light source is needed... just like a real book.

While fairly easy to use, the buttons are rather small and stiff. Navigating feels a bit awkward sometimes, but not to the point of being an annoyance. If choosing between this keyboard and an on-screen keyboard I would choose this one every time. The forward/back buttons are located on both side providing very easy "page flipping" without ever losing your concentration or attention while reading.

With rounded corners and exceptionally light weight, the Kindle 3 just feels "right." I can hold it in one hand and still use the forward/back buttons without moving or changing my grip. The built in support for the leather cover ensures a secure attachment without "aftermarket" clumsiness.

While I have yet to drop or in anyway abuse the Kindle 3, it feels quite sturdy. I can only guess at it's durability in an extreme circumstance... but in day to day use it has held up quite well.

• Readability:

My favorite Kindle, including the new ones!

from Winterville, NC

Comments about Amazon Kindle 3 (Wi-Fi):

I have had this Kindle since it came out and I LOVE reading on it. I have used the newer Kindles and I still prefer this one. This is a good device for those who truly wish to read books. The other, newer, color devices are good for surfing the internet, playing games, etc, but the e-ink in this device is superior for reading books. I was skeptical about an e-reader, but it really is easy to see. I can read outside with no problems, which isn't the case with all e-readers. My favorite feature is the battery life. I can charge it and read an entire book without recharging, especially if I turn off wi-fi while reading and only enable it when I need to download a new book.

• Readability:

So pleased with my Kindle Keyboard- wonderful crossover ereader!

from Bandon, OR

Comments about Amazon Kindle 3 (Wi-Fi):

I have had the best time using my kindle. I was a stallwart paper-only book reader, but I gave this a good try because my husband gave it to me for Christmas. I'm so glad he did! It is super easy on my eyes, so convenient to toss into my purse or diaper bag, fun to load books to (so many easy to find free books) and downloading books is crazy-fast! The battery last a long time. Occasionally I use it for games, but my keyboard letters wore off really fast. I think that is the only downside I've found with this thing:)

impressive and charges fast

Book Choices/Variety
So pleased to find books that interest me on amazon and sometimes even free! I've learned a ton since I started using my kindle a year ago.

Readability
Nice and easy on my eyes- my husband's kindle fire hurts my eyes, but this is totally different.

Very easy to use.

incredibly lightweight

Somehow, my toddler sat on mine and now there are a couple "ink" spots. Its still readable and held up perfectly to daily use until that happened....I have since found a nice case for it.

• Readability:

Kindle is great for travel

from Fairfax, VA

Comments about Amazon Kindle 3 (Wi-Fi):

The battery life on the Kindle is amazing and simply can't be beat. I love how small the book files are which means you can store years worth of reading on one device and they download virtually instantly. I have the wi-fi version and think that is all you need instead of the 3g model. It only takes a few seconds of prep work to get your books ready to go before you leave. This Kindle version seems pretty tough which makes it great for traveling. It is easy on the eyes to read, although in the dark you do need a separate light source such as a cover since it is not back-lit. I think I would enjoy this more if it was a touch screen since it would be a little faster to scroll through and find the books you are ready to read, but for this price the Kindle is great. If you already have a tablet however, the Kindle app is just as good so it really depends on your individual needs. I have the Special Offers Kindle and I don't find the ads to be intrusive at all, I just wish the savings were as good and plentiful as they used to be.

• Readability:

Love my Kindle for traveling.

from Huntersville, NC

Comments about Amazon Kindle 3 (Wi-Fi):

Having the ability to carry an entire library around with me wherever I go is fantastic. The book prices are reasonable and there are even free ones available. The screen makes it easy to see the words no matter what the light is. I would recommend the Kindle for anyone who loves to read.

• Readability:

My favorite Christmas present of all time

from Murfreesboro, TN

Comments about Amazon Kindle 3 (Wi-Fi):

I can hardly describe how much I love my kindle. I am a huge reader and my house is overflowing with books. So many that they are stuffed in closets and stacked up. It's kind of annoying, really. My husband bought me this kindle and Ive never looked back. It's light, has a large capacity, has zero glare, and in general has made my life easier. It's very easy to read on and the battery life seems to last a good while-even longer when you turn off the WiFi.
I have only 2 minor complaints. One-the power button is a slide button positioned on the bottom of the kindle. They way I hold the device I tend to slide the power off if Im not careful.
Two-the letters on the keyboard tend to wear off easily. I have to be very careful how I type if I still want to be able to read what letter it is.

Other than that, this thing is awesome. Its a wonderful gift to those who read and there are TONS of free books you can download so you dont always have to pay an arm and a leg.

• Readability:

Sleek design and easy to navigate!

Comments about Amazon Kindle 3 (Wi-Fi):

This device is easy on the hands to hold while reading and easy enough to navigate so as not to distract from its purpose. Reading a book shouldn't be stressful yet Kindle found a way to revolutionize my favorite pass time.

Battery Life
Compared to iPhones and other mobile devices, you can read for hours on Kindle without draining the battery. I rarely have to travel with my kindle charger, unless it's an extended vacation.

Book Choices/Variety
9 times out of 10 I find the book I'm searching for in the Kindle store.

Readability
The font feature allows you to adjust the type size to your liking. My mom who struggles with reading small text, loves kindle for this very reason.

I give this a "good" because it took me a while to understand the Categories feature. While the kindle is easy to navigate when looking for your favorite books. Trying to customize functions and features isn't intuitive.

Not too heavy and don't get tired holding the device. Very sleek and slender, unlike some paper books!

I purchased a silicone jacket for mine and have never dropped it. But based on my use of it, it's very sturdy and would have to fall on concrete with no protection to crack or scratch. Just use common sense here.

Favorite

Comments about Amazon Kindle 3 (Wi-Fi):

This is my favorite device. I love my kindle! It is very convenient to have all my books on one device. There are lots of free books and good deals, p,us many libraries will loan evokes for the kindle. This is great for travel as it fits nicely in my purse. I

So much better than paper form!

Comments about Amazon Kindle 3 (Wi-Fi):

I love to read but have been debating well, since the ereaders first made their debut. I finally broke down and purchased one and wish I hadn't waited so long! You can make the words big enough to read even while doing cardio at the gym. The audio option is fantastic while driving. The best part is being able to immediately get a book that I want to read. I would highly recommend it to any avid readers, and for those that aren't yet avid readers this just may convert you to being one!