4.1
Other Body Lotions:
Body Lotions
AmLactin
AmLactin Moisturizing Body Lotion

Summary

AmLactin® Moisturizing Body Lotion is specially formulated for dry skin. It’s made with lactic alpha-hydroxy acid, which helps skin renew itself through gentle exfoliation and cell turnover, and is a humectant to help skin retain moisture. AmLactin® softens and smoothes, leaving skin looking…and feeling, healthy.

For best results, apply to skin twice daily. Also, make sure to read the label on the back of the AmLactin® bottle for additional information and cautions regarding application.

AmLactin® is a registered trademark of Upsher-Smith Laboratories, Inc. AmLactin® is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any medical condition. Some skin conditions may be worsened by moisturizers, so always follow your doctor’s skin care recommendations.

AmLactin Moisturizing Body Lotion, 14.1 oz. / 400 gr. 302450023401

AmLactin Moisturizing Body Lotion, 7.9 oz. / 225 gr. 302450023227

4.1

Pros

Cons

AmLactin passes the test

I had mostly given up on lotions, preferring to use pure lanolin because it actually solved my problems. My dry skin problems turn into eczema. Lotions tend to aggravate it rather than heal...Read complete review

I had mostly given up on lotions, preferring to use pure lanolin because it actually solved my problems. My dry skin problems turn into eczema. Lotions tend to aggravate it rather than heal it. Lanolin heals it.

Enter Amlactin. I've been using it for a couple weeks now. Eczema has not reappeared. Itchiness has not returned. My elbows are soft. A dry spot on my wrist is feeling less dry. The backs of my hands don't itch. I've actually been carrying this product around with me and enjoying its soothing properties.

Unlike lanolin, Amlactin is not sticky. It absorbs fairly quickly, which is reasonable and convenient. Products that absorb real quickly also don't work for me, and tend to irritate/aggravate my problems.

AmLactin has no scent. I don't mind scent, but unscented products have one less ingredient for me to react negatively to.

AmLactin is a white lotion that has the properties of a thickened liquid. It doesn't run easily, but smoothes on nicely and goes farther than one would expect it to. I usually end up moving excess to another part of me. Where I've put it, it continues to be felt as a soft, slightly moist film protecting and softening my skin.

This was almost too much of a good thing for me.

I was thrilled to get my sample of **AmLactin Moisturizing Body Lotion** and impressed with the generous size of the bottle, since I have been given to understand that this product is rather expensive in the stores.  I wasted no time taking a shower and rubbing a moderate amount of this lotion onto my hide.  Only a few hours have elapsed since then and I'm very disappointed and can only recommend this lotion with certain qualifications.

**First, a Little Background Music**

Aside from a few mysterious rashes here and there which periodically occur and seem to be moisture-related, I have not had serious skin problems -- no acne, psoriasis, and little over-exposure to the sun or other elements.  My main problem has been what I consider to be a normal drying and thinning of my skin (especially on my hands) that I feel have been age-related.  If you live long enough, your skin is going to eventually take a bit of a beating, but heroic measures are not necessarily called for.

Because I have been generally lucky as far as my skin is concerned, I don't expect a **serious** body lotion.  What matters to me are the simple things, namely a nice fragrance and **no oily residue**.  If there is oily residue, I want it to disappear within a few minutes of rubbing the product in and this may sound frivolous, but I expect the lotion to smell **nice.**  I have no allergy to fragrances or perfumes and a nice aroma is a very important part of the experience for me.

**AmLactin Moisturizing Body Lotion** is **SERIOUS** stuff -- there is no fragrance at all, aside from an odd, bland smell -- but the real problem for me was the extremely oily residue which stubbornly refused to be rubbed in.  I had used only the normal amount which I usually use from any body lotion yet my skin -- especially my hands -- was extremely slick and oily for **hours**.  I would just think I finally had it all rubbed in and then oil would start seeping out of my pores again.  I had to wipe or even wash my hands several times in order to pick something up without it slipping out of my grasp and was almost tempted to take another shower just to get all the oily stuff of me.  I'm not sure what life must be like for someone who follows the label instructions to apply **AmLactin** twice a day and top it off with a **sunscreen lotion besides** before venturing outside.  The oiliness of all that would just be overwhelming to me.

**MY VIEWPOINT:**

I must admit that today my skin does look great and much younger, especially on my hands, but based on my own experience, I can only recommend **AmLactin Moisturizing Body Lotion** for those people who are experiencing serious, **SERIOUS** skin problems.  Extremely parched, dry skin might possibly absorb this rich lotion more efficiently (and be glad to get it) but those of us who have only normal to reasonably dry skin might be better off with a nice, ordinary Jergens lotion or one of the many worthy offerings from Bath & Body Works, Victoria's Secret, Burt's Bees, or something from the line-up offered by Whole Foods.  For non-heroic measures, those lotions work just as well and **smell nice too**.

WHAT fragrance?

WHAT absorption?

It DOES help protect dry, sensitive skin. This would be a blessing for someone who can't tolerate dyes or artificial fragrances ... but that ain't ME, Babe!

Eczema Relief Finally

Comments about AmLactin Moisturizing Body Lotion:

I have very dry skin. I've tried different brands of lotions that cater to dry skin sufferers like myself but nothing seemed to work. During the winter months my eczema tends to flare up very bad. After researching different methods to combat my skin problems I came across Amlactin Lotion. Upon first use I began to feel relief immediately. The itch that comes with having eczema was calmed. Day 2 of using this product my skin felt smooth. This product contains lactic acid which has been proven to gently exfoliate the skin and retain moisture which is a plus for anyone that suffers from severe dry skin. I also apply this product on my cracked heels and now my heels are smooth. This product has been a true god sent for me. I've had my dermatologist prescribe creams that never worked. Finding AmLactin and having such dramatic results will have a customer forever. I have no more dry patches, cracked heels, or itchy skin since using this lotion. I also apply it on my face and it glows. You may feel a slight tingle when applied to the skin but no worries it will subside. Now the smell isn't much to be desired but it isn't a horrible smell either. It is tolerable. The smell is nothing that can't be camouflaged with some type of body mist.

Works Great

Comments about AmLactin Moisturizing Body Lotion:

I love this lotion since it works in a short amount of time. This is not meant to be a type of product used for fragrance so it has a very plain odor to it. A problem I had was that it came out very liquid-like and took awhile to absorb due to that. A tip I use is that it works best to apply after taking a shower.

Scent is not a big factor for me in terms of finding a product to use. However, the scent it has was not really pleasant. It usually isn't noticeable unless you are trying to wash it off. I sometimes put too much on and it makes my hand a slippery mess so I try to rinse it off. That left it smelling pretty bad for some reason and I end up avoiding putting my hand far away from my nose for a while.

Absorption
It absorbs fairly well I suppose. It does not absorb instantly and could take a few minutes. It depends on how much you put on too.

After about 2 days I can see a dramatic affect. A tip I use when using this is that after I take a shower, I lightly dry the area and apply the lotion. This helps very well with the absorption and effectiveness of the lotion to help moisten and smooth the skin.

from Little Falls, NJ

Comments about AmLactin Moisturizing Body Lotion:

I used AmLactin Moisturizing Body Lotion contained in an easy to store 2 oz plastic bottle for the first time about a week ago. I always look for products that have Alpha-Hydroxy Acid for exfoliation. That was the deciding factor when choosing this one. My hands and arms tend to get very dry. Although I've tried many different brands, I always end up looking for another to do a better job of making my skin look younger and healthier. So far, I am very happy with this product. Immediately my hands and arms felt noticeably softer after the first application. This body lotion is not recommended for sensitive skin. but it is great for normal dry skin. There is a faint scent, but I don't believe there is any added fragrance. Applying sunscreen is recommended when using AmLactin Moisturizing Body Lotion. It is very reasonably priced. I bought it at Harmon, but I believe it is available at many drug stores and supermarkets.

• Absorption:

Use only if you have super dry skin

from Anaheim, CA

Comments about AmLactin Moisturizing Body Lotion:

I received a travel size sample of Amlactin body lotion (2 oz.) along with a body cream from their Facebook promotion. I have really dry skin and during winter season tends to increase the problem. I was happy with the size of the bottle I received as sample. After opening the bottle and smelling it I was a little disappointed, it smelled like a prescribed medicated lotion. Personally I would have preferred some sweet smell in it.
It is very effective though for dry skin. After applying the lotion my skin felt a bit greasy for a while but eventually the greasiness went away, leaving the skin a silky feeling. The skin remains moisturized for a long time and for best result it should be applied twice daily. I don’t think the lotion exfoliates the skin as it says on the product. The lotion takes its time to get absorbed in the skin. I won’t spend money buying this lotion until I have some serious dry patches that will not go away with regular lotion.

Keratosis Pilaris

Comments about AmLactin Moisturizing Body Lotion:

I was recommended this product for my exfoliation needs. I have a skin condition, Keratosis Pilaris and deal with unsightly keratin build-up around hair follicles. After about a week of use I noticed definite results. My skin was visibly smoother and the bumps were beginning to subside. After month I was bump-free and my arms/legs extremely soft with a natural sheen. The lotion did not rid of the dark marks, but I did notice some slight fading. Overall, it's a great OTC lotion for heavy exfoliation needs.

Great Preventive Dry Skin Lotion

Comments about AmLactin Moisturizing Body Lotion:

I have had a problem with my skin becoming severely dry and chapped because I tend to have my hands in water alot. And this becomes worse during the winter months. My hands would become so dry that they would crack and often bleed. Then I came across information on the internet about AmLactin about 7 years ago and have been using it ever since then. It has helped enormously with preventing my hands from becoming painfully dry.
What I read was that it has lactic acid which is a natural humectant that is vital to keep skin hydrated, keeping moisture deep within your skin, and I have found that this is the case. And it immediately makes your skin feel very soft and smooth. And another great thing is that it quickly absorbs into your skin and does not feel greasy.

I have used this lotion on my hands as well as the rest of my body especially frequently on other problem dry areas like my heels of my feet, legs and elbows. I know that Amlactin has recently come out with other varieties but I have not tried them yet because this one seems to work so well.

I do have one word of caution though in using this product; if you have a cut, even a paper cut on your hand, avoid getting the lotion in it because it will sting like crazy. Also, if you're hands are already severely dry and cracking, it also will sting badly, so be careful when using it in this case. Yet, I have sensitive skin and this lotion never bothers my skin, the only problem is if there's a crack or cut on your skin.

It's fragrance free but still has a light scent of its own but fades right away.

Absorption
This lotion absorbs into your skin immediately not leaving your skin feeling greasy but soft and smooth.

It works very well at preventing your skin from becoming dry, leaving your skin feeling wonderful. You just need to be careful it your skin is chapped, because it will burn.

AmLactin is best for Ichthyosis - very strong exfoliation agent

Comments about AmLactin Moisturizing Body Lotion:

The people who will find Amlactin best suited for them are those who need a strong exfoliating agent combined in a softening lotion. That pretty much describes ichthyosis sufferers. In x-gene related ichthyosis, which is expressed primarily in males, the body cannot produce sulfatese, which is necessary for normal skin to shed near-microscopic-sized dead skin cells. So without any topical treatment, the dead skin layers remain glued to the skin in ever-thickening layers. These layers become dry and stiff, and begin to break into hard little platelets with accompanying itching and even pain as the limb movements stretch unyielding skin.

What Amlactin provides is a means to exfoliate the hard, excess dead skin layers. It is a rather strong, non-prescription, over-the-counter product. Probably too strong for just ordinary dry skin not related ichthyosis.

effective for ichthyosis sufferers, but probably too strong for ordinary dry skin.

Helps Dry Skin

Comments about AmLactin Moisturizing Body Lotion:

I received a sample of Amlactin Moisturizing Body Lotion in the mail and tried it out. It really helped the dry skin on my arms that tends to flake and bother me. The lotion is of medium consistency. It is not as runny as the cheaper brands and not as thick as some of the more specialized brands. It goes on really easy, but it does feel a bit greasy on my hands. I am not a big fan of the scent. It almost has a medicinal scent. I find this to be the biggest turn off for me and is probably why I don't use it as often as I should. It would be nice it it had a more pleasing scent, like lavender or baby powder. Also, occasionally I feel a slight burning on my skin when I put it on. I think this happens in areas that I have gotten a scratch or other wound on. This is a bit irritating and makes me feel like the lotion is a little too harsh for someone with sensitive skin. Overall, the product works, but it does have some flaws.

Good!

from Princeton, MN

Comments about AmLactin Moisturizing Body Lotion:

Does as advertised. Help my skin feel smooth. The lotion is smooth going on and absorbs easily into my skin. I liked how smooth my skin felt with the effect lasting over half the day in the deep of Minnesota's dry winter when my hands and arms get so dry.

great for my keratosis

Comments about AmLactin Moisturizing Body Lotion:

I was unfortunately born with this pesky little condition called keratosis pilaris (most visibly on the outer portion of my legs) which are those little bumps that can seem like ingrown hairs/shaving bumps. You might have it too and if you do--you must try this! After diminishing them with use of olive oil+moisturizer, I found this nifty product highly recommended and it does work for me (with some coconut oil)! I use this product in the mornings and before bed---it definitely helps clear up my legs! Unfortunately it is not all gone (I guess it's not likely for it to be cured) however my legs finally feel smooth and with some tanning in the summer, they look great (don't tan while using this though since it sheds skin so your skin will be super sensitive--don't use any hair removal products either.)

The formula is great without being too greasy. It can be a little runny but otherwise it absorbs very nicely. I sometimes use it on my whole body because of how nice it makes my skin! I gave some to my sister who also has dry flaky legs and it has made her legs much better has well.

It's unscented....smells a tad bit chemical-ish? Not the best but not horrible or in the way either. Eventually goes away though.

Absorption
Absorbs well when you rub in circles

Amazing! Hydrates my skins and helps clear up my legs!