Other Anxiety Medicines:
Alprazolam
Alprazolam (Generic  Xanax)

Alprazolam (Generic Xanax)

Alprazolam chills me out just the right amount

I have Chronic Anxiety Disorder and Panic Disorder. I'm not at all ashamed to talk about it because I really wish mental disorders were better understood by people. I'm not crazy, I just worry too much. I have lots more of the chemical serotonin running around in my brain than most people. i was born that way, and have to use medication to control it. My doctor prescribed Xanax for me. I take the generic form, Alprazolam, in the lowest dose available, (.05 mg), four times a day, as needed. Sometimes I only take it 2 or 3 times a day, according to my stress level, etc. I can just say that it works perfectly for me. I have been taking the same dose for about 8 years, and have never wanted or needed to increase the dose, because if I did, I would be taking a huge risk of becoming addicted to it, and that's just not an option for me. I don't want to feel "high", and never do when I take my medication. It just eases off the tension enough so that I can function without my mind trying to think of a million things all at once. It helps me to be calm and rational when that serotonin kicks in and tries to mess with me. I can't compare it to any similiar medication for you because it's all I have ever taken for my illness. I can tell you that if you feel anxious and worried all the time, this could be the perfect med. for you. Also, since it is generic, it is very affordable. I'm blessed with an awesome insurance plan, so it doesn't cost me anything. I feel for you if you are reading this review because you have an anxiety disorder that isn't being treated. If that's the case, ask your doctor about it. It works very well for me, and I'm thankful that it exists. Just be sure to start with the lowest dose and try to stay there. It won't make you sleepy or silly if your body needs it counteract the abnormal amounts of chemicals being released in your brain.

Not for me but loved by others

Ah xanax, the drug that is abused by those who would be looking for a quick high, but quite wonderful for those who suffer from anexity.  Xanax has been around for a LONG LONG time.  I personally don't like it for my anexity, it's not long acting enough.  But I do know pleanty of people who take it and don't abuse it and they swear by it for their social anexity disorder as well as taken in conjunction with other things in order to treat mild to severe panic attacks.  me personally the pill would make me hungry, give me dry mouth and put me to sleep.  Of course I wasn't having any panic attacks while I was on it, but then again I wasn't concious either.  I find that this medicine was great for me for "quick" reacting needs, it did nothing for my long term care with anexity so I switched over to something different.  The side effects I experienced were, tired, drymouth, weight gain, increased appitite, lack of energy/focus.  Just because this didn't work for me please don't let that discourage you, this is a mircal medicine for many. As always I encourage you to do your own research in ties with your doctor as well.

really helps

Comments about Alprazolam (Generic Xanax):

I suffer from major anxiety and being a nurse really doesn't help the situation. i do not take these while I am working due to the drowsiness, I do however use them as needed for bedtime. I always have something in my head that causes me not to be able to sleep, my doctor put me on these and they have worked so well, letting me be able to relax and not worry constantly. The downfall of the medicine is you build up a tolerance very quickly, so you really have to be monitored for any type of dependence

ehhh not for me

from Schenectady, NY

Comments about Alprazolam (Generic Xanax):

look for brand name instead of generic. my rx is for the generic, alprazolam. i found that it didnt take the edge off my anxiety at all, all it did was make me fall asleap. i was at work one day and started to have a panic attack i didnt have my rx with me. my boss is prescribed brand name xanax and she gave me one, it kicked in sooo fast and i felt so much better with in 10 minutes and it didnt make me fall asleap. im going back to dr for a switch in rx.

I was a stay-awake compulsive thinker until Xanax/Alprazolam.

from Los Angeles, CA

Comments about Alprazolam (Generic Xanax):

Maybe some of you count sheep and just get on with it.  Until ***Xanax/Alprazolam***, I'd go to bed sleepy then lie there working over tomorrow's schedule, listening for noises, reviewing the day's happenings, working out my finances, and obsessing over whether I was too warm, too cold, needed an aspirin, had taken my other meds etc. etc. etc.

I led much of my past life in a fog after nights riven with poor sleep.  I attended high school in a daze and never scheduled any college classes before 10 a.m.  Not only was it hard to get to sleep, it was nearly impossible to stay there!

***Alprazolam*** (the less-expensive generic for ***Xanax***) attends to all types of anxiety disorders, not the least of which is what I call the *Stay Awake Thinking Syndrome*.  My doctor suggested I try ***Alprazolam*** and, the first few times, I not only slept all night, I nearly slept standing up the entire next day.

I don't call myself a Tender Flower for nothing.  The appropriate ***Alprazolam*** dose for me now is half of a 0.5 mg pink tablet.  After my initial sleepful overmedications, I used 1/4 of a tablet for several years.  Occasionally, I still need to go back to this smaller dose.  ******

***Alprazolam*** has the greatest potential for death from overdose of any other drugs in its *benzodiazepine* family.  No wonder drinking alcohol is contraindicated when you're on ***Alprazolam***!

I have no side-effects other than occasional sleepiness (that's when I lower the dose for a while).  Since I also take an anti-depressant, I know that withdrawal symptoms are a consequence of stopping either or both drugs (especially the anti-depressant) too suddenly.

**The U.S. Drug Enforcement Agency** has pictures of ***Xanax/Alprazolam*** on its site.  Because of its potential for abuse, this is the one med I can't get with my mail order prescriptions.  Also, because ***Alprazolam*** is a controlled substance, my pharmacy must call my doctor every time I need a refill.  The advantage to using only half a pill means that I usually only need a refill every other month (unless I have other anxiety issues).

*Wikipedia* has **14 pages** devoted to ***Alprazolam***.  If you're interested in using this medication, read all the information that comes with it and, if possible, check out the greater number of details at *wikipedia.org/wiki/alprazolam*.

Being careful and properly informed about all of my meds has given me new life.  Doctors are no longer the available, specifically case-informed Gods they once were.  Consulting them then taking personal responsibility is really vital for all of us!

Alprazolam saved me.

from College Station, TX

Comments about Alprazolam (Generic Xanax):

I beleive that a little backround information is needed with a review on Alprazolam. I have had bouts of depression since I was a teenager. After September 11, 2001, I also began having long bouts of anxiety. I at times, have had many odd ball worries about the washer falling through the ceiling in my two story apartment, or that my husband was in an accident every time that I heard a siren. I realized that the worries that I was having were not, right, but i could not stop my brain from returning to the weird worries over and over again. I talked to my Doctor about my worries, and he prescribed alprazolam .5mg for my anxiety. I use the pills as needed, and sometimes just knowing that I have them is enough to bring my anxiety down.

I personally have not had any side effects with this medecine. I do not feel drugged. What it does is calms me down, so that I no longer obsess over oddball worries. It just helps me to relax and let go. There is nothing wrong with getting help for anxiety. These pills will help you, and if taken correctly will not cause you to become addicted.

Alprazolam chills me out just the right amount

from Tiny Town, GA

Alprazolam (Xanax) - I wish I would have had this sooner

from Madison, OH

Comments about Alprazolam (Generic Xanax):

The link below will tell my story of how stress, anxiety and depression led to an imbalance in my brain chemistry.  I did not realize at the time how much these factors could affect me physically.  When I started having severe symptoms I was convinced that it was mental; and I was ashamed to go to the doctor.  I figured that she would send me to a psychiatrist who would "counsel" me; but I knew that just talking to someone wasn't going to help me.  I also knew that I couldn't wait months for psychiatric sessions to bring me back to normal because my physical condition was deteriorating rapidly.

Out of desperation I finally did go to the doctor and found out that my problem was most likey physical and that help could be a medication away.  In addition to the prescription to re-balance my brain chemistry my doctor gave me a prescription for Alprazolam (the generic for Xanax).

While Alprazolam doesn't last too long...for me the maximum effect lasted about two hours...it was long enough to get me past a panic attack or allow me to drift off to sleep.  I often wonder if I would have had this prescription sooner if I could have avoided those horrible symptoms entirely.

Once my medication to balance the seratonin in my brain started to work, the Alprazolam "took the edge off" the remaining symptoms which took several weeks to fully disappear.  I still use this medication from time to time; but for the most part I am "status quo".

The more  your take this medication the less it works; so I try to take it only when I absolutely need it.  I make no health claims for this medication; and you should consult your physician to know all the risks.

If I've learned one thing from all this, it's not to be embarrassed to see a doctor immediately.  If I have encouraged one person to seek immediate help, then I am glad that I shared a portion of my personal life with you.

Venlafaxine (Effexor)

[http://www.viewpoints.com/Effexor-Venlafaxine-review-55b54][1]

[1]: http://www.viewpoints.com/Effexor-Venlafaxine-review-55b54

Alprazolam

from Central Square, NY

Comments about Alprazolam (Generic Xanax):

I was prescribed this medicine along with a cocktail of antidepressants. The alprazolam didn't do any good for me. I have heard it is successful with other patients but it just didn't solve the debilitating anxiety and worry. I was started on .25mg once a day, increased to 2x a day, finally moved to 1mg a day at bedtime and was ultimately taking 3mg a day, 1m 3x/day. It didn't make me sleepy or lethargic but it left me feeling the way I always had. I used the medication for about 3 months before my doctor switched me to another anxiety medicine.

I think it's extremely important to let patients know that not every medication works for every individual. Each person has a different chemistry and requires a very specific treatment plan to help with depression and anxiety. The generic form of Xanax didn't help me the way I had hoped. There were no major side effects other than sweating and mild sleepiness for me. I hope this medication helps those who need it most.

Worked but didn't like the side effects

from Jackson, WY

Comments about Alprazolam (Generic Xanax):

I was originally prescribed Xanax because I have a phobia of flying; I was supposed to take .5mg about an hour before a flight to calm me down.  If I took .5mg then it would almost knock me out.  I started to take .25mg of Xanax instead of .5mg to see if it would still calm my anxiety but keep me from feeling totally drugged and sleepy.  It did help, but I quickly noticed that when I would take Xanax, I'd feel weird the next day.  It was almost like being hungover; I felt moody, tired, quick-tempered and strange.  At first I thought it was just from flying or travelling all day, but then I realized that it occured pretty much every time I took Xanax.

Now I take lorazepam (generic Ativan) when I'm flying instead of Xanax, and I don't have any side effects.  Xanax made me super sleepy, but Ativan just makes me feel like I've had one or two glasses of wine.  It calms me down and just sort of settles me, which is nice.  If you have troubles with Xanax, I'd ask your doctor about Ativan.

A life saver

from Hudson, FL

Comments about Alprazolam (Generic Xanax):

I've had severe panic dosorder for years and have been put on so many different medications. I am happy to say that Xanax has changed my life. I take one 1mg tablet twice a day and I feel like a new person, my attacks are less frequent and I feel much less anxious even after a long, stressful day.

It didn't help me one bit

from New York, NY

Comments about Alprazolam (Generic Xanax):

I am planning a trip across seas and wanted Xanax for the flight since I get high anxiety traveling. As a test dosage, I took .25 mg and had no reaction whatsoever! Not tired, bot relieved, not relax, just the exact same! In fact I still have unexpected anxiety when getting into a heated argument 2 hours after taking it! What the heck, this is bogus I need real meds!