3.8

3.8

Pros

Cons

Great Coverage

I've been using Almay Smart Shade makeup for years. I have very oily skin, even at 50 years of age. Most makeup slides off my face after a couple of hours. I also have to be careful of what I put on my skin, as most products break me out.

I have to say that this makeup stays on all day and covers well. It does not break out my skin. I like that it goes on white, then changes color to match my skin tone. How do they do that?!?

The only bad things about this product are that it does tend to feel heavy on my skin and it's a little difficult to wash off at night. I usually wash two or three times to get all the makep off. But, for me, it's worth the extra effort spent cleaning at night just to feel confident in my appearance during the day.

If you have nothing to hide, this is for you. Super sheer color.

***Quick View: ***I thought this was a very cool idea but it really isn't all that. It is super lightweight and barely gives any coverage. Good for young or flawless skin.***About Almay Smart Shade Makeup with SPF 15, Light/Medium***

This new foundation claims to match any skin shade magically. It starts out as a white cream and develops into what supposedly is your exact skin tone. This one ounce plastic bottle of foundation comes in Light, Light/Medium, or Medium. I chose Light/Medium. I wish I had chosen Medium. This looks like a cream and then, on the face, does darken and come up to a skin tone shade. But it is much more like a tinted moisturizer than a foundation. It doesn't cover freckles blemishes, flaws, or redness. It evens out skin tone some and dries to a somewhat powdery finish. On me, it developed to about a shade too light. I am light/medium as far as skin tone but if I ever bought this again, I would try the Medium and hope it matched my skin exactly.

I don't know how this works but it's fun to watch it develop. However, it simply doesn't have the coverage a foundation has. It is much more like moisturizer with a tint. That would be great for flawless skin or those who don't like or need heavier coverage. I prefer a light to medium coverage foundation. I would classify this as sheer. It feels good on the skin and I had no issues with breakouts but I felt I needed more color.

This foundation may be for you if you like sheer coverage or tinted moisturizers. Be sure to choose the right shade because it can look too light or even orangey from what I have heard although I saw no orange. It is so lightweight that I didn't know if it faded or not after a few hours. I could barely see it to begin with.

***My Viewpoint***

This new skin matching foundation is unique and sheer. It goes on white and matches your skin tone if you have light to medium skin. If you like sheer, tinted moisturizer, you may like this foundation. If you need heavier coverage, I'm afraid this one will disappoint. ***3 stars.***

Great Summer Makeup Light and Easy

from Toledo, Ohio

About Me Budget Buyer

Pros

• Blends Well
  • Easy To Apply
  • Goes On Smoothly
  • Lightweight

Cons

• Poor Coverage

• Dry Skin
  • Sensitive Skin

Comments about Almay Smart Shade Makeup:

I really love this product. Its great summer makeup and it a really smooth moisturizing cover up. It looks very natural. I got the lightest shade and I am olive tone which usually products that are light don't work well on me but this one blended really well. I love that it makes me look dewy but not shiny. I have a lot of allergies but this product doesn't bother me. It has no fragrance unlike other brands. You still need to use concealer for scars but this is a good vacation or go to summer makeup. Just apply it and add a cream blush and your good to go. No powder necessary. It reminds me of BB cream.

• Skin Tone:
  • Fair

Was just a mess for me.

from Kansas

Comments about Almay Smart Shade Makeup:

This product was just all wrong for me. I saw the product on sale and figured I might as well try it, it looked interesting. Firstly, the product felt kind of greasy when I went to apply it. Secondly, when I put the product on the coverage was extremely sheer. Third, the product DID NOT adjust to the shade of my skin, not even close. It was extremely dark and inconsistent with its color. It would be darker on my forehead then lighter on my nose, and just patchy all over, really. As always I didn't knock it the first time I tried it and continued to use it a few more times. Each time was the same, no coverage, weird darker spots on my face, just a mess. It may have just been something weird with my skin and the product not working together but I really wouldn't recommend it. It is a cool concept for a product though and hopefully in the future something similar will come out that will work for me!

Pass on this one.

Comments about Almay Smart Shade Makeup:

I recently tried Almay Smart Shade Makeup and had high hopes for it. I've used and liked other Almay products in the past, so I thought this would be more of the same, but I was quite wrong. This Smart Shade Makeup sounds like a good idea, but it just didn't work for me. When you squeeze it out, it's sort of a tan/gray color and is supposed to adjust to your skin tone automatically. It didn't do that for me. It turned a sort of yellow/orange and was incredibly streaky. I tried using just my fingers to apply this makeup, then a sponge and a brush, and nothing really worked. It was impossible to get it to even out. I also tried mixing it with a little moisurizer, which helped a little, but I still wouldn't want to use it every day.

For the brief time I left it on, it felt pretty heavy, and after about an hour it started to flake off. I was really disappointed as this seemed like such a simple and easy to use product.

Weird.

from Las Vegas, NV

Comments about Almay Smart Shade Makeup:

The concept of the foundation changing is really cool, but it did not completely work for me. It left my face really streaky and uneven and I believe that is is because not all of the product changed color when it is supposed to. There is a very small color-range and not everyone can buy from it. It was very light and did not clog my pores or make me feel heavy. It let my skin breathe. It did not last very long and I had to reapply half-way through the day because the oily parts of my skin broke up the product. It has a squeeze tip and is great for hygiene and keeping germs out of the product. It barely has any coverage and only covered small whiteheads and very tiny pimples. It barely did anything at all to cystic acne and it basically just looked like I was trying to cover them up but failed. It covered freckles slightly, but they still showed through because it was streaky. It smoothed my pores out though.

I highly recommend trying this product

Comments about Almay Smart Shade Makeup:

This is one of the best foundations I've used. It cuts back on having to worry about making it match your skin tone exactly. It blends in really well. I like how natural it looks. It's never crack or orange looking. I don't have any complaints about it. I'd say you should give it a try.

One of the worst foundations

Comments about Almay Smart Shade Makeup:

I bought this product because I was intrigued by its smart-shade technology. It was supposed to go onto skin white, and it would change color once on my skin, giving me the perfect shade. When I was using this foundation, it never got my skin color right. It always gave me a shade about five times darker than my natural skin tone, and not only was this shade very wrong, it looked carrot orange. It didn't offer any coverage at all, even when I applied some on some blemishes. And to top that all off, whenever I did use it, it looked like I smeared my face in makeup when I only used a little bit of the product, and it gave me one of the worst cake faces I've ever experienced. This was a total let down from Almay because I though their products would be good for people with sensitive skin and wanted a gentle foundation. This was a total waste of my money, and this was a completely useless product that was bad in every single way. A total let down, and a terrible experience.

Great lightweight coverage! Love it!

Comments about Almay Smart Shade Makeup:

I am very fussy when it comes to foundation. Many I have tried either feel too thick and heavy, do not cover well, or clog my pores and make my face break out. I decided to give Almay Smart Shade a try and I am happy I did. This foundation works great. It goes on nice and smooth. It is lightweight and does not clog my pores. My face is prone to breakouts as it is, but with Almay Smart Shade, I do not have to worry about my pores being clogged and risking more breakouts. I found the shade that was perfect for me. It blends well, and does not leave those embarrassing ugly lines on my face as some foundations tend to do. My skin tone looks natural. I use the liquid foundation with the powder to match and it works great. It is also very affordable which is great for someone who does not have a lot of money. I am truly happy I have tried this product and I will not use anything else. I would recommend this product to anyone, especially to people who are as prone to breakouts as I am.

Best Ever Make-up

Comments about Almay Smart Shade Makeup:

Almay Smart Shade Makeup has great coverage and moisturizers very well.. The coverage is excellent and it blends well with my face cream. I would recommend Almay Smart Shade Makeup to anyone at any age. This product is very easy to purchase as it is available at discount stores and drug stores.

Great Idea if it actually works -- But it does not

Comments about Almay Smart Shade Makeup:

Overall this would have been a great product if it had actually worked. I love trying new makeups and experiementing so I always feel fresh and beautiful. When I saw this product in the drug store I thought it was a great concept and would be a great product to use when during those summer months when your skin tone is changing day to day. Unfortunately this product was just a great idea and nothing more. It was more of a lotion then an actual foundation. It provided barely any coverage and really left me feeling like a had not put any makeup on ( and I do not mean that in the good way where you look beautiful and natural even though you are wearing makeup) This product went on easy as lotion and probably did just as much as another other facial lotion would do. I would not recommend this product to anyone who is looking for a great foundation that will give them coverage without the heavy feeling. I will not be purchasing this foundation in the future and have thrown away the one I have purchased.

Great everyday foundation! No more guess work!

Comments about Almay Smart Shade Makeup:

This is one of my absolute all time favorite, go to everyday foundations! With this self-adjusting formula it takes the guess work out of having to pick the right shade. I would always dread buying foundation before Almay Smart Shade because I never quite knew which shade was mine. Plus I tan and am not always the same color from week to week, so this saved me from buying two different foundations. It goes on easy and adjusts almost instantly. The foundation turns from white to your skin tone with a perfect match, It is a light to medium coverage so it is perfect for everyday wear. I buy this foundation time and time again, and I am never disappointed. The price is average for a drugstore make up, but you get above average performance. I use the light/medium shade, so when I tan it adjust easily to any shade my skin is at the time. I am a huge fan of this foundation and recommend it to anyone who is sick of the guess work of foundation!