Other Cold & Flu Medicines:

Alka-Seltzer Plus Sparkling Original Cold Formula

Pros

Cons

Day and Night Cold Relief

My husband turned me on to Alka Seltzer cold medicine a few years ago. Let's face it, colds make us feel miserable and generally we end up masking our symptoms for a week until the cold subsides. Alka Seltzer Day & Night is by far the most effective cold medicine we have tried (and we've tried plenty!).

This works so well that I made my husband stock up when he was going to be driving from Texas to Alaska. I had a cold before he left for his trip and this medicine helped me a lot. I made him buy a box of Alka Seltzer Day & Night for his trip, just in case he caught my cold during his trip ... and that is exactly what happened.

This product comes in effervescent tablets that you dissolve in water, or gel capsules that you swallow with water. The tablets contain acetaminophen (the active ingredient in Tylenol) for pain and fever. They also have a cough suppressant and an ingredient for nasal decongestion. The pills work without causing drowsiness, and help nasal congestion, headaches, coughs, sinus pressure, sore throats, and body aches.

The night time pills contain many of the same ingredients, but they also have an antihistamine (doxylamine succinate) that helps us get to sleep. (A popular sleep aid also contains doxylamine succinate).

When trying to relieve our cold symptoms nothing works better than Alka Seltzer Day & Night. It's a great product to have on hand during the cold and flu season and it made the trip tolerable for my husband.

Congestion Relief
It really does help relieve nasal congestion, especially during the day

Chest Congestion Relief
Relieved chest congestion so we don't get bronchitis

Relief of Aches & Pains
Acetaminophen helps relieve headache and body aches

Cough Suppression
Again, this works best during the daytime

Tastes Horrible and Doesn't Work

I have to say that I have never understood the joys of Alka-Seltzer and have used their products only infrequently however I decided to give their Sparkling Original Cold Formula a try when trying to kick a particularly nasty winter cold.

I followed the directions and placed my two giant tablets into a glass of water where they immediately started fizzing. I was just glad I didn't have to swallow those mammoth things whole! After the pills had finished doing their thing in the water I took a sip expecting it to taste almost like a seltzer water. Unfortunately, it was really like chalky Pepto-Bismal mixed with water. I had to hold my nose to get the rest of it down and that was a challenge.

I didn't experience any sort of relief from my head congestion and stuffy nose and I was still coughing hours later. I did, however, experience complete relief from the headache I had from my stuffy nose and head.

So, while this does sort of work it's really just easier, and easier on the taste buds, to swallow a couple aspirin. I really cannot recommend this as a something to relieve cold symptoms.

Always makes me feel better!

Comments about Alka-Seltzer Plus Sparkling Original Cold Formula:

Although the taste is terrible, the effectiveness of Alka Seltzer cold medicine is amazing. It works well for me, especially with a stuffy head and that horrible achy feeling. It works really quickly for me, much more so than other cold medicines. Although I usually end up taking a nap after taking it.

Congestion Relief
Pretty much every time I take this medicine it's after I have taken something for days and have gotten no relief. Every time I am sick, my dad will tell me to take Alka Seltzer, so it is kinda a family thing for us too. I get really bad headaches when I have a cold and this seems to almost instantly get relief.

Chest Congestion Relief
I have asthma so nothing much helps me feel better on chest congestion. It seems to work a bit. I use it more for head congestion and relief of aches and pains.

Relief of Aches & Pains
Alka Seltzer seems to relieve aches and pains really quickly. I usually get really tired when I'm sick, so as soon as I relax a little from the aches and pains I have to take a nap. I don't think the medicine would make a normal person sleepy though.

Cough Suppression
Like I said earlier, I have pre-existing conditions that cause me to cough a lot when I'm sick.

good product

from Ellerslie GA

Comments about Alka-Seltzer Plus Sparkling Original Cold Formula:

I have previously and in the past purchased and used this Alka Seltzer Plus Sparkling Original Cold Formula medication and found that it worked good and was very effective in helping with my cold symptoms. First and foremost this product did an awesome job helping with my headache and all of my body aches and pains. This Alka Seltzer also helped with my congestion and cough and cold in my chest. I really did like this product as far as how well it worked. Unfortunately this Alka Seltzer Plus Cold Formula taste absolutely horrible and even knowing how well it works the taste keeps me from ever using it again. The taste is very bland and just the thought of it makes me gag. This is the reason I gave it a seven. The way I used it was to add just a small amount of water because that makes it easier to drink. I just did it really fast. The price of this product is pretty reasonable. It may be a little more expensive during cold season so I purchase it off season to use during cold season. I would certainly recommend this product as an effective cold symptom reliever, unfortunately I can not get past the taste.

Very effective!

from Phoenix,Az

Comments about Alka-Seltzer Plus Sparkling Original Cold Formula:

Alka-Seltzer Plus Sparkling Original Cold Formula is truly a fantastic product. My family has been using it for a long time and it has worked wonders as a help for colds. I know that everyone feels so miserable when they get a nasty cold with all the symptoms like cough,congestion, aches, and fever. This product really does help with all of the symptoms so you can start feeling better much sooner and get some rest.

Congestion Relief
It is wonderful for giving some much needed relief from congestion. So many people say It is just a cold" but it can make you feel like it is something worse.

Chest Congestion Relief
It really does help a lot to give you some chest congestion relief so that you can start breathing easier and much better. It will help ease some of your symptoms so you start getting back to feeling normal again.

Relief of Aches & Pains
It helps so much with helping ease some of the aches and pains that you get with a cold. It is such a bad feeling when your body aches all over and then it is hard to get comfortable and relax, so this product is so nice to help you.

Cough Suppression
It does help somewhat with cough suppression but you might also need to take some cough medicine to settle it down more.

So hard to drink this.

from Elko, Nevada

Comments about Alka-Seltzer Plus Sparkling Original Cold Formula:

This is probably the hardest thing that I have ever tasted and had to consume when it comes to medicine, it is completely unbearable and disgusting. I think that they make this fizz a lot when you drop it into the water because they are trying to distract you from the nasty taste that you are about to consume, but it fails every time, it just tastes so bad and is very hard to get the whole thing down. The saving grace for this is that it actually works rather well if you have the common cold, it does make you feel a lot more like normal. This gives me a big burst of energy after it finally kicks in, so I think that helps my body to be able to fight off the cold better. It clears up congestion rather fast and I have noticed that it helps with me to loosen up the mucus that I have that builds up. My chest and my lungs always feel much clearer and less congested and I can breath a lot easier after taking this.

Doesn't taste very good

from Stafford, Virginia

Comments about Alka-Seltzer Plus Sparkling Original Cold Formula:

This doesn't taste very good but overall it works decent. It takes awhile to dissolve in the cup also. I don't think I would recommend it for a runny nose or sore throat, but I would for a congestion and cough. I think it works best for congestion.

Congestion Relief
It works well but slowly, and continues to work for awhile. Rather than working for a little bit and then getting congested again, it continues to work.

Chest Congestion Relief
I thought it worked pretty well with chest congestion, but not the best option. It does work slowly with this type of congestion as well.

Relief of Aches & Pains
Overall it works okay for aches and pains. It also works slowly to relieve any type of ache or pain you may have. I think for this to work well you might need to drink it somewhat fast. It's important to take it all also, because it doesn't work that well when you don't.

Cough Suppression
You might not notice it right away but it is pretty good at suppressing a cough.

Tastes Horrible and Doesn't Work

from Hartford, CT

• Cough Suppression:

Those pesky, achy and stuffy blues have met their match.

from Jackson, MS

Comments about Alka-Seltzer Plus Sparkling Original Cold Formula:

Alka Seltzer Plus Cold is my hero with a fizz (a nice color for a suit also).
I go on a daily basis from heat on the outside and cold inside the work place, in the summertime. In the winter it is the opposite, from cold on the outside to dry air inside the building. As you can imagine, the body has a real time trying to make sense of it all. Alka Seltzer Plus Cold helps alleviate the common effects of the summertime and winter blues. It's my hero with a fizz. It helps clear up the fuzziness in my head, the aches from the onset of colds and the stuffiness from dry air. It helps me get to a good state of being to rest, then my body can do what God created it to do, which is "help heal" itself.

Chest Congestion Relief
It works so great for this.

My daytime cold buddy.

from Rome,GA

Comments about Alka-Seltzer Plus Sparkling Original Cold Formula:

This is another one of those products I have been using since I was very young, my earliest memories included this medication that my father gave me. I still hate the taste just like I did when I was child but I also know it helps and doesn't make me sleepy. During cold and flu season I will often turn to Alka-Seltzer Plus instead of other medications mostly due to the speed at which the medication seems to take effect. The effervescence of the Alka-Seltzer Plus helps to carry the medication into your system much quicker than an ordinary pill or cough and cold suspension. I am also very pleased with the duration of the medication, one dose lasts me all day during normal daytime hours. I don't like to medicate myself anymore than I really have to in any situation, so the long term effects are of great benefit to me. I have always been and probably always will be a loyal Alka-Seltzer Plus user no off brands for me with this product only the real stuff for me.

• Cough Suppression:

A lifesaver when you have a bad cold!

Comments about Alka-Seltzer Plus Sparkling Original Cold Formula:

This is another product where you absolutely have to have it on hand when you have a cold or the flu because it alleviates a multitude of different symptoms all at the same time. I have been using this product for he longest time and each time I use it, I get the immediate relief I need in order to feel better.

Congestion Relief
This product works great for nasal congestion. Although it is a gradual clearing up of the nasal passages, it allows you to breathe freely. I would suggest using a humidifier when taking this medication because it can dry out you nasal passages extremely.

Chest Congestion Relief
From my experiences with this medication, it does not do the best job in clearing up the chest congestion, at least not a well as it does the nasal congestion.

Relief of Aches & Pains
It does a really good job of easing body aches and pains to help you have a restful sleep.

Cough Suppression
It does a really good job suppression the cough to help to sleep also. I like that you can take this medication for the duration of your cold and you will continuously get better and better.

Alka-Seltzer Plus

Comments about Alka-Seltzer Plus Sparkling Original Cold Formula:

This is definitely in my arsenal of go to products when I have a cold. Especially if I don't have the time to stay in bed and rest properly. The Alka-Seltzer cold formula packs a punch and in my opinion definitely rivals the other dissolvable cold formulas.

Congestion Relief
Within fifteen minutes of drinking the Alka-Seltzer cold formula I was able to loosen up my nasal passages and properly blow my nose which helped me start breathing easier right away. I was quite happy to be able to stop having to breathe through my mouth.

Chest Congestion Relief
Again it was about fifteen minutes and my chest loosened up enough for me to get a few good coughs in which virtually cleared up all of my chest congestion. On a side note I also really like that it doesn't have a an especially harsh taste and in usual Alka-Seltzer form, it does not upset my stomach in any way either so I can take it even on an empty stomach and be okay.