2.4
Products
Alibris.com

Alibris.com

2.4

Amazon and AbeBooks? Add Another "A" to the List - Alibris.com!

If you're a book lover, chances are you've already bought books through online sites like *Amazon.com* and *AbeBooks.com*.   It's time to add another A to the list - **Alibris.com**- another one of my favorite websites for new, used, and out-of-print books. Independent booksellers from far and wide offer their inventory to the masses, who purchase them from the Alibris website.  Simply enter in the title of the book you're trying to find, and you will get a listing of all the available titles, book condition, binding (hardcover or paperback) and prices.  In addition, you'll often find editorial and customer reviews, as well as a synopsis of the book.

I have had a few positive shopping experiences at Alibris.  Even on the one occasion where the bookseller got it wrong, the conclusion was satisfactory.  Here's what happened...

I conducted a search for a quilt book title and I selected the most inexpensive copy from a seller in my state.   When the book arrived, it turned out to be an older edition that was completely obsolete.  I checked the ISBN number, and found that it was different than what the bookseller had listed.  I went to the Alibris website and with a few clicks of the mouse, I was able to print out a return authorization form and a return postage label.  A couple of weeks later, my account was fully refunded and I ordered the book through another vendor.  This time, I received the correct title and I was pleased that the return process went as smoothly as promised.

I've found that shopping at websites like Alibris is an affordable way to build up my personal library collection.  I've recognized the same booksellers on Alibris as on Amazon, AbeBooks, and Half.com.  Often, I'll check all of those websites and purchase at the place that has the lowest total price.

Nothing beats browsing for books in person at a bookstore, but if you know the title that you want, **Alibris** makes it easy to get a good price  Check it out before you buy your next book online.

couldn't have been much worse

Here's what I just wrote to alibris:

Here's what I just wrote to alibris:

To say that I'm surprised about the email I just received stating that I'm getting a refund for my order would be an understatement. Refunding my order is the right thing to do & I want to take a little time to share with you why. If you care at all about what it looked like from my point of view, you'll read the entire email which will take about 3 minutes, print it out & hang it up on the wall next to your computer as a reminder of how a little under $10 order can effect a buyer in terms of the ripple effect.The book is a gift for my wife, a birthday present to be exact. When I 1st ordered the book from alibris about a month ago (4/28), later that day I got an email saying that my order was canceled & the reason was "*Comments from Alibris:'Alibris Cancelled - Other/Unknown'* ", which obviously frustrated me. Not a good start, considering I buy all my books on either ebay or amazon but thought I'd give alabris a try since the price was so low. Anyhoo, I wrote an email asking what happened, they said they didn't know & to try again. At this point it's right before my wife's birthday & she lives in Montreal & I'm in NC so I know there's no way the box I'm sending her with all 6 of her presents is gonna make it in time so I let her know it's going to be about a week late.....**AT MOST**. She was fine with that.I actually forgot to reorder the book because I archived the email & when I remembered (5/5) I cursed myself & immediately ordered it again. This time, no email saying that the order was canceled so I felt relieved & when I got an email saying "*Your order should arrive by May 14, 2010*." I thought that it was a really long time (10 business days for my extra money which they refer to as "*You chose Expedited Shipping*" doesn't make any sense) but at least I knew when it would arrive by at latest. I told my wife what happened & she said she didn't mind but to send the work shoes I got her right away because hers were trashed so I said "*Well can you hold off just a week because your last present is coming & it's an international order? I even paid extra to have it sent priority so it'll be here very soon*", to which she reluctantly agreed after a few minutes.Now's where the trouble really starts. On 5/7 I got an email saying my order shipped so I think things are good. By 5/12 I'm thinking "**OK where the hell is my order??????**" & I'm not happy & neither is my wife, in fact she's mad at me because I didn't just ship her shoes like she asked me to. So I do the only thing I can think of & write an email to the seller, **Luz Blanca** asking what's going on with my order & that I'm unable to track it on USPS.com. No response from **Luz Blanca**.On 5/17 I get an order follow up email from alibris asking to leave feedback. At this point I'm about to loose it because I'm sitting looking at a box of presents that should have been shipped already missing 1 little thing, the littlest of all actually. It was like insult to injury from my point of view. So I wrote yet ANOTHER email to **Luz Blanca** saying that I'm about to make a problem if I don't get some answers. All of sudden I get a reply TO THE 1ST EMAIL I SENT, NOT THE 2ND MORE RECENT ONE from Luz Blanca saying "*I am sending out a new copy today via Priority Mail. You should have it in a few days.*" I feel some relief & say "*OK, Thank you for getting back to me, the last thing I want to do is leave negative feedback but why didn't I get a response sooner? It shouldn't have to taken 2 emails to get 1 answer*." No response from **Luz Blanca**.Priority mail means about 3 days. My dad had worked for the post office for over 20 years & told me that's average for about 99% of priority mail (he says "*It starts at point A, goes to point B then gets delivered to point C unless there's 1 more point in there sometimes like in a rural area, then it'll take 5 days max*"). Even USPS.com states "*your packages reach their destination in 2-3 days*" when you ship priority. When 5/22 comes & I still don't have it, I've decided that I'm not going to buy from alibris again. Same day I tell my wife that her package is going out Monday (5/24) regardless of weather or not her last present comes because it's ridiculous & I feel terrible that she got nothing from me on her birthday besides seeing a tattoo I got which was dedicated to her. She loved it though & it was a huge surprise & she didn't care about the issue at hand for the time being. Later that day the book actually comes.........I'm speechless beyond simply laughing & I didn't even open it.......guess I just couldn't believe it. I had already decided that if it didn't, that I would complain to alibris, give the seller a poor rating in the relevant categories & start a dispute on paypal. Seems fair to warn others based on my personal experience. Doing all those things are worst case scenario when buying on the net & I do almost all my shopping for gifts on the net. This & last year I bought 17 total books on the net from ebay & amazon. So the package arrives & what does it say? **1st class mail, NOT PRIORITY!** Wow, there's a shocker! Did the sarcasm come through? I hope so. Just a regular orange envelope. It actually didn't say on the stamp when it shipped, which was a huge disappointment. I really wanted to see when it went out. Regardless, doesn't matter.To be told on 5/17 that your order will be there in a few days because it's going out priority, the same way I paid for it to be delivered mind you, & then to actually get it on 5/22 & for it NOT to be priority is the icing on the cake. I took the $5 coupon that came shipped along with the book, laughed & threw it away. I wouldn't even give that to somebody else, based on my experience.Goodbye alibris & **Luz Blanca**,SPC G****, US Army National Guard

Good purchases from Alibris

from Berkeley, CA

Comments about Alibris.com:

I ordered 2 Haruki Murakami first editions from Alibris. Both books came within 10 days, were in the condition noted, and were well packaged. Great experience and deal having used coupon codes as well.

Simple and fast!

from Santa Barbara, Ca.

Comments about Alibris.com:

I ordered 6 different books and all of them shipped out within 2 days, all as advertised and as expected.

Excellent job Alibris!

Comments about Alibris.com:

I was looking for some last minute Christmas presents for the book collector in my family, and voila!, Alibris had them. Author-signed first editions for pretty good prices... and even better, the seller was close to me so I just might get them in time. Not only did I get them in time for the holiday, I got them way earlier than the predicted delivery date, and the seller clearly took a lot of care in packaging them. Lots of padding, securely taped box, individual bubble-wrapping for each book. Can't say enough good things about this company, or my recent purchase - well done!

Plenty of inexpensive titles

Comments about Alibris.com:

I purchased 3 books and a blu-ray as Christmas presents and they all came in plenty of time. They were all priced lower than retail and I paid less than I would've on Amazon or eBay. Two of the books only cost 99 cents plus shipping each. Overall quite satisfied with the experience.

Excellent Site to Purchase Books!

Comments about Alibris.com:

This was the first time ever using Alibris to purchase used text books and I must say that my experience was amazing. I received the book earlier than expected, which is always a plus. The book was advertised as very good condition. There was even a description of what the discrepancy was. In my case, there was minor wear and tear.
Like many, I like to shop around for the best prices. Alibris, had the best price for the book I needed, period. Lastly, the initial sign up process was pretty quick. I will definitely be using Alibris for my future book purchases.

Lured me in, took my money, finally cancelled, and re-offered

Comments about Alibris.com:

My August 21st textbook order from Alibris for over $200 was promised to ship within 1-2 days. It took them almost two weeks to determine they had lied about having the book, cancelling my order on September 3, 2014. This is a disaster for a student! They then offered me opportunity to buy it again, for more money, even before refunding me. By end of business on September 4th I still have no refund, and no capacity to replace the book. I received an email confirming my order on Aug 21, a subsequent "your order has shipped" email estimating delivery after Aug 26, and the Sept 3 cancellation email indicating they never had the book and were issuing a refund. I also have the August 21 charge to my account. They clearly misinformed me in their first two emails, and haven't managed to issue my refund yet, although they managed to charge me almost instantaneously. I have had no response from Alibris' customer service. All the other books I ordered that night from a variety of other sellers arrived by Labor Day. This company is either terribly incompetent or engaging in systemic fraud. I am writing this to warn students about their practices.

Good for used books

from Utah

Comments about Alibris.com:

I was recently looking for a copy of "The Wooden Horse," a book about a World War II escape from a prison camp. Alibris.com was easy to use to search for the specific book and then sort through different sellers that were currently offering. The website made the price and condition of the book very clear under each seller, making it easy to look for good quality at a good price. I was able to find a used copy in good condition for just over $2. The shipping was $3.99, so the total cost of buying it on alibris.com was a little over $6, whereas the cheapest I found for a hard copy anywhere else was over $20. The shipping was pretty fast (shipped soon after order, but ground transportation took a few days). The "good" description was very fitting, so I would commend the website for ensuring that sellers provided accurate details. Overall, I will continue to use alibris.com to look for quality used books at a low price after having this good experience.

They will cancel your order.

Comments about Alibris.com:

Every time I've ordered from Albris they cancel because sellers are offering their items on multiple sites and don't take them down. What's worse is they don't allow for negative feedback on these sellers. Every year for the last decade I've ordered and had items cancelled. I do a lot of online shopping, and you'd think I'd have learned my lesson. Hopefully, you'll be smarter.

Shipping Slow but Selection is Great

Comments about Alibris.com:

So far so good purchasing used books from Alibris.com, I have only ordered a handful of times and every book I have bought has been exactly as described. On one occasion the books I ordered were not delivered on time, they actually came a week after the date promised but I didn't call to complain because I was in no rush for the books. Now I could see where it could be a problem if I were ordering books for school and needed them by a certain day. After my first order I was emailed a coupon code for $5 off my next purchase, which I quickly took advantage of. I tried to leave seller feedback when Alibris emailed for my feedback. When I went through each screen it would not lead me to where I needed to go. I found the website hard to navigate, even though I was signed up with the company. Each order I have placed, has eventually got to me by mail, even though it was a slow and never on time.

Great Selection!

Comments about Alibris.com:

I found every title I wanted, very easily, at a great price. I enjoyed reading about the sellers and having access to reviews so that I could feel like I was getting the whole experience. Shipping was as promised. I couldn't be happier. The coupons are nice too!