Other Bathroom Cleaners:
Ajax Cleanser

Ajax Cleanser

Pros

Cons

Ajax Bleach an oldie but goodie!

Ohhhh boy, do I know Ajax! My mother used it religiously when I was growing up. In fact ,she is in her eighties and still keeps the Ajax in the exact same spot under the sink that she has kept it in for umpteen years! Truth is, my children will be saying the same thing about me. Yes, I have it under the sink too. Okay, I have had it in the same spot for years too. What do I use it for? EVERYTHING!! I have a Swanstone sink that easily gets discolored by the high iron in our well water. I do as my mother did- I wet the sink, sprinkle with Ajax, let it set, then scrub. I should use gloves, but I don't. Ajax is a bit hard on the hands and does leave them smelling like bleach, so I do recommend gloves. My mother also used it as her main toilet cleaner. Everynight before bed, she would sprinkle some in and let it set all night. I do not use it on the toilet unless I run out of the liquid toilet cleaner. My husband noticed that it was not completely dissolving in the toilet. He said it was caking on the top under the rim. I do use it on the bathroom sinks and also the bathtub. It is just so inexpensive and goes a long way. Talk about value!

Ajax is Tougher Than Some Dirt and May be Older Than Dirt Too!

I had actually never bought Ajax until recent years, even though I believe it has been around since the 1940's. If this stuff is still on the shelves after so many years, I figured it must have some merit, especially if it were on sale. Actually this cleanser is pretty inexpensive when compared to many other brands.

What I like about Ajax:

- It is found in many stores.

- It is pretty inexpensive.

- It works pretty well on my old sink and tub (I wouldn't use this on something that must have a non-abrasive cleaner.)

- It is convenient to have a cleaner that is not liquid for travel.

- It doesn't have a strong odor - lots of us at our house have asthma, so I try to look for cleaners without strong odors if possible.

What I don't like about Ajax:

- I typically use Comet for scrubbing the toilets, grout, and old sinks - Ajax was pretty close, but I think Comet has a slight edge.

- It would be nice to be able to close it after use - it has holes in the top and something about the equivolent of a sticky note to place on top. I have three kids - need I say more?

- I tend to clean things immediately and don't put a cleaner on and let it soak in for a while, so I have to use some elbow grease. If I didn't clean it immediately, I'm sure my 3-year-old would be ready and willing to "help" clean.

My Viewpoint:

They say oldies are goodies, and Ajax certainly fits the bill for standing the test of time. People on a budget can cover a lot of cleaning miles with this inexpensive cleaner, especially on surfaces mentioned above. I still typically purchase Comet, but I would be willing to use Ajax again, particularly if they are running a sale on it!

Gets the Grime

Comments about Ajax Cleanser:

I was raised with my mom cleaning the kitchen and the bathroom with this cleaner. Other spray cleaners disinfect but this dry powder cleaner disinfects and helps scrub away the dirt and grime. It helps me get the scrubbing done faster than if I were to use a spray cleaner. I also love it because it contains bleach (the best disinfectant). I always have to be sure to wear dirty clothes while I am cleaning so that I do not accidentally bleach my good clothes. I also have to be careful on which surfaces to use this powder cleaner on. Some newer bathroom sinks and bathtubs have a certain finish applied on them. The cleaner can scrub too well and take off this finish. Also, on linoleum flooring, the cleaner can take off the wax finish. Other than that, I even use this when cleaning the toilet. It helps scrub away the hard water stains. The clean bleach scent is not over powering, but it still lasts.

Cleanser is old school, but very useful

from Trenton, NJ

Comments about Ajax Cleanser:

Ajax cleanser is a blast from the past and really hasn't changed much since the old days. It is a tried and true product and is useful for many things. I have used Ajax for cleaning the toilet and the tub as well. I don't like to use it on a regular basis for those tasks, but I will use it in a pinch when needed. I also like using Ajax for some outdoor cleaning tasks too. It is great for cleaning patios, and some outdoor furniture (as long as the abrasives don't wreck your stuff). Ajax is a cleanser and it is strong, so be careful when you decide what to use it on. It also isn't known for a great smell either. It doesn't smell bad, but it's not the kind of fragrance that you would seek out. Ajax cleanser has always been a very affordable cleaning product. I usually purchase these 3 at a time, because they go on sale that way. because it's cheap, you can use it generously and not feel like your wasting money or product. I recommend Ajax cleanser for affordability, and effectiveness (under the right circumstances).

Great for most bathroom and toilet surfaces

Comments about Ajax Cleanser:

I brought the Ajax Cleanser with bleach in hopes to clean all the grime and mold off my tiled bathroom floor as the product stated it cleans chrome, porcelain, ceramic tile and other durable surfaces, so I thought I will give it a try with the old fashioned way my grandmother and mum used to do it. The powder itself was snow white so I thought I would be safe to use since it didn't display any coloured dyes. To my surprise the powder actually turns blue when it becomes wet so I carried on with cleaning the grout. Let me just say my bathroom floor has never been cleaner; it looked shiny and new and sparkled. But the only small problem was that my grout turned baby blue in colour and not white as I originally intended, clearly wasn't going for that result so I had to buy another product to clean that off as well. I won’t be using the Ajax Cleanser on my grout again but I am pleased with its power of cleaning bathroom and toilet surfaces.

A Long Time Favorite

Comments about Ajax Cleanser:

I was raised using Ajax Cleanser and have continued to use it myself. It is very inexpensive to buy and it contains bleach which helps to clean and disinfect my sinks and tubs. It is easy to use and works well at removing simple stains and soap build up. I would recommend this product for those on a tight budget or as an inexpensive backup in case you run out of your favorite cleanser.

I have no complaints about Ajax Cleanser. It is a powder and it is a bit abrasive, but it cleans my porcelain surfaces thoroughly without scratching them. It is also good at removing stains and brightening up my counter top surfaces. I especially like it for my kitchen sink. It removes any gunk stuck on the sides and leaves the sink clean smelling and shiny.

Ajax Cleanser has a light scent that is barely noticeable. I only notice a scent as I am using it. Once it is washed down the drain, the only scent left is a mild, pleasant fresh scent.

Classic Cleanser

from Anchorage, AK

Comments about Ajax Cleanser:

Ajax Cleanser is a classic. I have liked using this cleaner since I was a young girl. We like it for scrubbing the toilets and also for the bathtub. It works well on stubborn stains and soap residue. I do find that I need to scrub a lot but the bleach in this cleanser does help to get rid of stubborn stains. I sometimes let the cleanser soak on the stain with a little bit of water for awhile before I rinse it off. I do find that it does require a lot of rinsing so that a cleanser residue doesn't remain on the bathtub walls and floor. It is helpful to wipe the walls with a damp towel afterwards to make sure that all of the cleanser comes off. Bleach can be harmful to your skin so it's important to remove all of it before using the bathtub for a long soak. A double rinse and wipe down should do the trick. I sometimes leave cleanser soaking in the toilet for an extended length of time if there are stubborn stains. I recommend this cleanser.

Standard in cleaning products!

from Davis, CA

Comments about Ajax Cleanser:

There's not much Ajax Cleanser with Bleach can't clean--as long as the surface can be cleaned with it that is.

We have extremely hard water that isn't very clean. We often get mold just from sitting water. That and the hard water rings everywhere... Well, it can't get rid of everything, but it does a good job.

It's easy to use. I just dust my sink -- or other appropriate surface -- with a light dusting of cleanser. I don't have to rub hard, but I do rub. Most stains and grit wash away with a splash of water.

Besides being easy to use, it works well. My sinks and tubs are old. Most were heavily stained from many years of use when I first moved in. I could get rid of most of them, but not all--that would be a miracle. For new stains, like coffee, I allow the cleanser to sit for about 20 minutes after I rub it into the stain. When I rinse, most of the stain washes down the sink.

I'm very sensitive to odors and fragrances. Many will give me a headache. This product doesn't bother me at all. It smells fresh and clean. Perhaps it's the bleach.

Good for white sinks.

from Ann Arbor MI

Comments about Ajax Cleanser:

We used to use this at my mom's house all the time. The sinks were white and when I was in charge of cleaning them, this would be my go to. Obviously, with white sinks, the dirt and scum that gets in there over time is clear to see. With this powder, you just sprinkle some in and you add a little bit of water and scrub. If you let it sit for a while it completely gets rid of the old stains and scum and it leaves the sink looking clean and fresh. I've also used it on counters before, but I would be careful with using too much because the smell is awfully strong. I recommend this highly for people with white sinks and large kitchens or bathrooms. I don't recommend this at all for people with small kitchens or spaces, as the smell is really overpowering and it can make you nauseas or dizzy very quickly.

Open a window when you're using this as it's very strong and it lingers for a long time and can make you extremely nauseas or dizzy.

Childhood Memories

from Dallas, TX

Comments about Ajax Cleanser:

My mom used Ajax Cleanser to clean everything when I was a child, so it was only natural that I would choose this as my go-to household cleaner. The powdery granules are incredibly effective at cutting through soap scum in my shower as well as that nasty bathtub ring that seems almost unavoidable.
I use it just about everywhere, including my bathroom counters, sink and toilet as well as the kitchen sink.
I used to use it on the kitchen countertops, but then I questioned the safety of it coming into contact with my food since it contains bleach.
One recommendation, definitely wear gloves when using it. The cleansing agents are harsh on my skin.

We have hard water in our home, and Ajax Cleanser does a great job removing stains and mildew.

Not a big fan of the scent, smells too much like a harsh cleaning agent, but I'd rather that than perfumed fragrances that are toxic to my respiratory system!

It cleans but scratches too

Comments about Ajax Cleanser:

I used this on our stainless kitchen sink because when we bought our house the sink was already scratched up by the previous owner and nothing I used seemed to get down in those scratches and clean. After about six months of using Ajax I noticed that my stainless kitchen sink was really scratched up worse than ever and the scratches were in a swirl pattern. After careful thought, I realized that I clean in a circular motion and that while the Ajax was cleaning the scratches it was creating new ones too. I immediately stopped using this product on my stainless kitchen sink. I was bummed because it cleaned well. We also used this on our ceramic shower floor. The shower floor is textured and scratches are virtually unnoticeable. It works great to in between those textured grooves and clean out the dirt and scum. I only have one major complaint though. Because Ajax is a powder, I had to be really careful when I sprinkled it because the powder would rise in the air and make me cough. After I finished cleaning I felt like I had a fire in my throat and lungs for hours. To try and remedy this I would wet a rag and sprinkle it directly on the rag but I still coughed from the fumes.

Oldie, but a Goodie

from Morrisville, PA

Comments about Ajax Cleanser:

Ajax has been around as long as I have, and I am an early baby boomer. My Grandmother and my Mother used Ajax. I remember the singing little men calling it "Ajax, the foaming cleanser" and the rest of the jingle. And yes, I still use Ajax today.

There's no doubt about it. Ajax cleans you tubs, sinks and other ceramic kitchen and bathroom items. However, as no one told me 39 years ago, you cannot use Ajax or any scrubbing powder, o. The plastic tubs often used in apartments or those one day replacement tubs and enclosures. It will scratch them.

It is a bit more time consuming to use the powder pros
Ducts than the sprays, but it is worth it as they do clean better and are much better at cleaning stains. You do need to rinse well to be sure you do not leave a residue film in you sink or tub.

I must be so used to Ajax that I actually can't find a way to describe the scent. It is just a scent that means clean to me.