3.2

3.2

Pros

Cons

Airfare Watchdog Stands Guard, Seeking Out Cheap Flights

I take vacations whenever time permits and that includes long weekends as well as week- long excursions. Depending on the distance and the price, I will fly to my destination, but I am more wary of flight prices now than in the past due to the size of the family. This is why I am always looking for a bargain and one web site that helps you find good deals on airfare is **Airfarewatchdog.com**, a service that keeps an eye out for dropping prices.

**Online Site Commentary:**

Airfarewatchdog.com is designed with one main purpose in mind: To stand guard over the internet and report back to its master whenever a low priced airfare happens to creep into view, close to one's hometown or other defined airport. The site is made up of three sections: Airfare deals, News and Advice, and Bark About It. The first two departments are self- explanatory. The latter is a place within Airfarewatchdog.com where you can read discussion boards, post a comment, or cast a vote in a travel- related survey.

Using Airfarewatchdog.com is pretty simple. All you do is logon by entering your e-mail address, select a home airport(s) as a departure city search, and select the frequency for e-mail delivery as daily, frequently (2 or 3 times per week) , or weekly.  There is also an option to seach for a "travel to" location and the option to set an airfare alert for specified destination cities. These city to city alerts will be e-mailed to you only when a good deal is found.

I like to travel and in my household, we typically take two or three round trips each year by airplane. We need all the help we can get finding the best airfare. I know many places to check, but I don't have the time to check every airfare and travel site on the internet. And this is where Airfarewatchdog.com can become your new best friend. It searches for low airfares for you, while you work, sleep, eat, or play. It then delivers an e-mail digest to you with a summary showing some of the great deals available.

The e-mail digest that Airfarewatchdog.com sends out is pretty easy to follow and it divides its listings by airport first (if you asked for more than one) and then by domestic and international flights. Each listing includes the destination city, price for the flight, an indicator that lets you know if a minimum stay is required and if the flight is non stop, the date the travel is good through, and the specific airline offering the deal. If you see a deal you like, just click the link in your e-mail and it will take you to the Airfarewatchdog.com web site. Here, it will let you know some more specifics of the flight, along with the availability of seats at that price, the dates you are most likely to get the lowest priced flight, and links to specific travel sites to purchase the tickets.

I'm always game for cheap airfare and I have even been known to let low- priced airfare guide me to my next vacation destination. For this reason, I find Airfarewatchdog.com to be a very helpful site. But there are a few facts about Airfarewatchdog.com that prevent it from being even better. Aside from the very plain, unappealing appearance of the web site, the thing that annoys me most is that the flight deals often turn out to be too good to be true. Take for example a recent offer I was e-mailed that included airfare to Honolulu for only about $400 round trip. I quickly followed the links to find this airfare, which was supposedly good through December 15, 2009. But to my disappointment, there were no flights available toward the end of the year, even though that is what the e-mail claimed. In fact, as I continued to search backward using other dates, I found that the only way to get this incredible price was to travel within the next three months. The cheap airfare during the last several months of the year is already gone, but yet it continues to show this in my e-mail alerts along with a note that says the low prices are good through December 15, 2009. Airfarewatchdog.com needs to keep these fares updated more frequently.

**Bottom Line Viewpoint:**

Inexpensive airfare is a welcome find and I am glad that I discovered Airfarewatchdog.com. It helps me find the good deals and sends me e-mail alerts on a daily basis for great flight offers at home and abroad. If the people at Airfarewatchdog.com would keep the e-mail alerts updated more consistently, I would likely give Airfarewatchdog.com a higher rating. But I still like this service and I recommend it to anyone in need of a great deal on airfare.

it hasn't been reliable for me

Airfare Watchdog sends me updates on my chosen routes, but about half the time, possibly more, I can't find the airfares they are telling me about. For example, today they notified me about a $223 RT fare on American for EWR to LAX, limited availability for the rest of the year. I just went week by week looking for that fare and couldn't find even one example of it. So I would have to say it hasn't been all that reliable for me.

Has never worked for us. Not once.

from Austin, Texas

Comments about AirfareWatchdog.com:

When we have tried to use this site, twice, it was a nightmare of pop-ups and referrals. We have never found anything but the regular fares already available on the airline sites. When we tried to call one of the pop-up numbers, we ended up at an Indian travel agency. :o)

Never works

from Upstate NY

Comments about AirfareWatchdog.com:

Airfarewatchdog website is so very frustrating to use. They have awesome emails very eye catching. But when you go to the actual website I have NEVER once found the "great prices" they sent me in my email! The pages load at snails pace. Don't waste your time. Either go to the websites yourself or call your travel agent! UGhhhh! Next step for me! ONE LESS EMAIL! ^^^ And whats with the affiliation selection above to be able to leave this review? My choices are ...I am an employee or affiliated or I received a sample? Neither am I.... double ugh..

Has not worked 1 time!

from Texas

Comments about AirfareWatchdog.com:

Not sure why everyone loves this site so much.
I have tried utilizing their fare alerts a minimum of 100 times, and not ONE TIME have I found the fare they posted. NOT ONCE! Unsubscribing from their alerts and never looking back. What a waste.

It has never worked well for me

Comments about AirfareWatchdog.com:

I signed up for email alerts for a route I like. I get e-mails claiming to have a wicked deal on my selected route and even show a price for that route. I click the link and I have never ever found not one time the so called great deal they claim they found for me. It is a waste of time site.

Its just a tease of a site.

Features
What features, when you are alerted to a deal and then you can't find it.

Customer Service
No idea, since I've never used the service.

• Customer Service:

Airfare Watchdog fun to check out

from Peoria, AZ

Comments about AirfareWatchdog.com:

I was disappointed that they didn't offer special deals on the routes that I would be taking however if you happen to be going to one of the routes that they offered you could save a few bucks.

Good information is given on the question and answer section of their web site. You can submit your own questions and overall I felt that the web site was easy to navigate. They also offer hotel deals that might be worth checking into as well. Under Airline information they cover things like baggage fees, airline information, including fees and policies. And they even include maps of the different airlines route.

Features
This web site offers a travel questions and answers section. Great idea and it gives a insight to things like how do airlines decide what order people board. You can sign up for fare alerts to routes that you are interested in. Problem here for most of us still working, we cannot just take off and go when a special pricing is offered.

Customer Service
This is one I will keep to use again.

• Customer Service:

Useless, popup nightmare, e-mail updates overkill

Comments about AirfareWatchdog.com:

The Bottom Line: I cannot possibly recommend this website to anyone who is looking for fair airfare prices. After signing-up for alerts, I started getting tons of spam, and using the website itself was frustrating at best, thanks to all of those annoying popup windows. Cluttered, too many ads, and no good airfare deals. No thanks.

This website is way too cluttered, has entirely too many ads, and the cheapest airfare I was able to find for my location to Paris was about $1600, which is about $400 more than the normal price! Needless to say this website has been completely useless to me.

Features
There is nothing about this website that makes it special or even as good as some other travel websites. I hate how many pop up windows you will get for each new search, and it seems to me that this website is mostly an advertising channel for other travel websites.

Customer Service
After signing up for airfare alerts with Airfare watchdogs I started receiving and incredible amount of e-mails, most of which were to let me know that they still had not found a good deal for me, and recommending me to check out other "interesting" offers. In one day I received no less than 10 spam e-mails. I promptly unsubscribed myself, and after 2 weeks, I was still receiving spam from them. I ended up having to e-mail them several times, before they completely removed my e-mail from their database.

• Customer Service:

Great for a traveler on a budget

from Des Moines, IA

Comments about AirfareWatchdog.com:

I started receiving the daily emails from Airfare Watchdog after a recommendation from a coworker and I'm truly pleased. You can setup alerts from your nearest airports to see special discounted flights straight from your airport to other destinations around the world. While I don't travel too frequently, I love that I can look here first to see if there's a destination I'm wanting to go. You can even set alerts for flights between two destinations if you're looking for a future trip. If one happens to come in at a low price. you get a notification email. I always look here first before flying anywhere.

It's a very simple site. I can easily search and navigate.

Features
It's pretty bare bones, but that is what makes it great. Too many travel sites have too many features. This is just for finding cheap flights. And it's great.

Customer Service
I haven't reached out to customer service yet, which is a testament to the quality of this site.

It is okay.

from Kansas

Comments about AirfareWatchdog.com:

AirfareWatchdog.com is a simple website that allows you to look for the best airfare deals. I have found that they indeed have the lowest deals around. This website is very easy to navigate because the design is very simple. You can easily check airfare deals to and/or from cities and see the Top 50 airfare deals currently. You can sign up for alerts that are supposed to alert you when the price of your flight drops. The feature would be great if they didn't send you so many irrelevant e-mails. I do find this feature great when the alert actually involves the flight I am watching.

This website is very easy to navigate because of its minimal and simple design. You can easily check airfare deals to and/or from cities and see the Top 50 airfare deals currently.

Features
The primary feature on this website is the fare alerts which are supposed to alert you when the price of your flight drops. The problem with this is many of the alerts they send you are not relevant to your flight!

• Customer Service:

Great for planning your budget and getting deals

from Pittsburgh, PA USA

Comments about AirfareWatchdog.com:

Overall, the concept of this site is great. You enter your travel information and it gives you trip prices on various airlines. You can also sign up to receive fare alerts and other emails from the site. If you do sign up for those alerts, be prepared for a lot of emails. I think I receive 5-6 emails a week from this site, most of the time with general deals and information, not specific fare alerts.
I like the feature of the site where you can list your departure city and not a destination city. It will provide you an alphabetical list of destination cities and the best airfare to those destinations in the next 30 days. This is great when you want to plan a getaway but don't necessairly have a specific destination in mind. It also provides information on fares at other close airports which can help you decide if a short road trip may be worth it to save a bunch.

The down side is that there seem to be a lot of ads on this site. Granted, they are travel related but there seem to be a lot more ads spread throughout all areas of this site then there are on other travel websites.

There also seems to be some degree of bait and switch. For example, I was looking for a flight to Boston and the rate listed was $150 round trip. When I actually clicked onto the specific search, no matter what dates and times I picked, the lowest fare that popped up was around $200. Not a huge difference, but still not the price that was listed. Once you click on the fare and city, it will take you to a site that pops up with tabs for the multiple fare sites out there (such as hotwire, orbitz, cheap fligthts, etc). Instead of all of the options in one listing, you have to click each individual tab which can be annoying and time consuming. Once you click on the individual travel sites, there are also options to search for a car and hotel at your destination as well. This can be helpful if you also need those services.

Overall, it is a decent site to see the cheapest fares to various destinations and compare prices. I just wish it had a better layout and made it easier to do the actual comparison.

It is extremely easy to find flight information and search this site. You don't even need specific dates or a destination which is a search requirement on many of the other sites.

Definitely Worth a Try

Comments about AirfareWatchdog.com:

As the price of airfare seems to be increasing every single day it is important to be able to get the most bang for your buck. Airfare Watchdog is a great site to easily view the price of airfares from a variety of different travel sites all at once. Plus, you are able to get updates sent to you so that you are notified the second your airfare decreases. I regularly travel for both business purposes and for fun getaways and I always use Airfare Watchdog because it is easy to use, it gives results, and it has saved me a great deal of money in the past. This site is a great tool for those that travel all the time and for those that do not travel so much.

This site is incredible easy to use! You just put in your travel information and BOOM--instant results. If you do not like what you see at the moment, give it a few hours or a day and try it again. The prices of airfare changes as much as the wind. Do not get discouraged.