Other Airlines:

AirTran

Pros

Cons

• In-Flight Accommodations:

Wish I would have know about them years ago

I just flew AirTran for the first time about a month ago.  They were recommended to me by a friend who has been using them for a while.

I was pleasantly...Read complete review

I was pleasantly surprised by the price - they were less expensive than all of the other airlines.  And had perfect flight times for my situation.   We were only gone for about 30 hours, and the airline was one of the only things that wasn't a hassle on our trip.

For the most part the staff was very courteous and helpful.  I could have lived without that unpleasant man at the baggage check in counter in Detroit - but the lady at the baggage check counter in Atlanta was very friendly and helpful, and made up for the rude guy in Detroit.

The online check-in was very easy and convenient.

Airtran - spend a little more to arrive with your belongings

I've traveled with Airtran quite a bit over the past 5 years because they tend to be the cheapest airlines for the Dallas-Atlanta route.  That said, I refuse to ever fly Airtran again.  I had my entire make up case stolen out of my checked bag.  They pointed the finger at the airport authorities and refused to do anything about helping me file a claim, etc.  In fact, I called a "customer service" number that was given to me by an Airtran employee at the airport, and over the course of 3 weeks, not only did I not ever get a live human being, but I never got a returned call on any of my messages.  It took weeks of phone calls to never get any resolution.  The frustrating part of the entire scenario is that I was forced to pack it in my checked luggage due to the new travel regulations...and to have $500 worth of cosmetics and products stolen was frustrating and expensive.  The bottom line is that the airline takes zero responsibility and does not care whether you arrive at your destination with your belongings or not.  I refuse to give another dollar to such a poorly run organization.  I'd rather pay a little more and fly American or Delta.  Lesson learned.

Air Tran gets you there

from Cincinnati, OH

Comments about AirTran:

I have had good flights with Air Tran whether it be because I booked a flight with them or another carrier put me on one of their flights. They have good staff and standard operating procedures when it comes to the flights. Nothing special that would make you know your are on an Air Tran flight, but stays true to good customer service. My flights have not been significantly delayed. I even arrived early on one flight.

Service
Flight attendances what you would expect them to be. The desk agents were fine. The ticket agents were helpful.

In-Flight Accommodations
The seats on most planes could be about an inch bigger, but again very standard issue here. Nothing that would blow you out of the water. Coke products for drinks. I usually fly shorter domestic flights so no inflight movies or TVs in the back of seats for these trips. They do allow you to keep your phone or tablet in your hand while on take off now, but that might be regulatory across the board.

Will Never Fly Again

Comments about AirTran:

My flight home from Disney World with my family was booked through Southwest.com and it was actually an Airtran flight since they are owned by the same company. I always fly Southwest and thought that it would have the same customer service. Boy was I wrong. I was traveling with my family which included two young children. They assigned our seats which were no where near each other. Two of us were in the front of the plane and the other two in the back. I asked for us to get our seats switched to be closer, which was pointless. They moved our seats but they were still not close to each other. This is very hard when traveling with young children because both my boys like to be near their mother. Take off and landing was a nightmare of screaming because they were not near her. I found the plane itself to not be as clean as other Southwest airline flights. Overall, I would never fly Airtran again no matter how good of a deal.

Service
The service was not accommodating to our requests. Our flight got moved to two different gates, there was no announcement overhead at the airport, just a phone call to my cell phone which was turned off.

In-Flight Accommodations
Nothing spectacular, they give small refreshments like any other airline.

• In-Flight Accommodations:

Not preferable, but sometimes you can score some great deals

Comments about AirTran:

First off, AirTran is a low-cost airline, so don't expect luxurious first class areas or delicious air plane food or spacious leg room. The airline itself offers cheap flights all over the US (and to the Caribbean and Mexico, I think), but the reason why the prices are usually cheap is because they get rid of the "extras." So when flying AirTran, you're not going to be getting in-flight entertainment, radio, or complimentary snacks (free beverages though). They have a Business class, but besides priority boarding and a free checked bag or two, there doesn't seem to be much of a difference between Business class and coach so I don't think it's worth it to upgrade. The planes themselves are really small, and most of the flights fly to and from smaller airports, which can be inconvenient at times.

I've only flew AirTran a few times, and the majority of my flights were delayed, but not by that much, maybe a half hour or so. The important thing to realize is that you need to keep your expectations low, because you essentially are getting what you paid for! Nonetheless, even though the process may not be the prettiest, AirTran does its job and gets you to your destination.

Better Than United

from united states

Comments about AirTran:

There is one thing going for AirTran - at least they are better than United. But I guess that is what you are paying for when you chose to fly via AirTran. AirTran offers some of the least expensive flights to some of the best international locations that wish to travel and have travelled to (some of them). I look forward to what comes with the merger between Southwest and AirTran.

Service
AirTran offers airline service to a number of international airport locations throughout the Caribbean, my vacation destination of choice. My problem, I just cannot fly them enough to make their frequent flier program really worth it for me. They are your average large budget airline, or I just today that would be just your average airline.

In-Flight Accommodations
The flights on AirTran go rather quickly thanks to some of the in-flight accommodations that are offered. Good music helps a flight pass and AirTran offers XM satellite radio.

Not a happy customer

from Ohio

Comments about AirTran:

My two year old daughter and I took a trip home this past Christmas. I had never flown with "Air tran" before, but decided to give it a shot. The reason I decided to fly with them instead of my usual air line is because I paid about 160$ less for a round trip ticket. I don't think I will fly with them again. Our flight was supposed to leave at 6:20 A.m. We had already arrived early and had about an hour or so to spare after check-in. Our flight didn't arrive until 6:45 (which wasn't much of a big deal) We boarded and literally sat on the plane for a good 30-40 minutes waiting for take off. Come to find out the plane was having engine problems, they had all of us get off the plane while they "resolved the issue". Back at the gate, an hour later they had all of us pile back on the plane to get our bags and head to gate 21 from our gate (4)! I was so upset, a ton of stuff and a very scared little girl! When it was all said and done, we waited at the airport to be put on a new flight for OVER 6 hours. Never again.

Service
The service from the flight attendants wasn't bad. They seemed pretty nice but a little irritated at times.

In-Flight Accommodations
We received a bag of pretzels and a small glass of pop. They could of given me a whole can for all the trouble I went through that day!

Fairly good

Comments about AirTran:

AirTran is one of the airlines that I use the most. Their prices are not outrageous, but they are not necessarily the cheapest. Their flight staff is not the best. Compared to companies like Delta and Southwest, I'm not as impressed with AirTran. Recently, AirTran and Southwest merged, so we will have to wait and see if their are any great benefits for customers that might come from that. One thing that I would like to see is the implementation of lower costs. AirTran has a pretty good loyalty program called "A+ Rewards." By either booking a flight with them or renting a car with Hertz, you earn points towards rewards. I have never had any really bad experiences while flying with AirTran. I have experienced some delays, but sometimes the airline cannot control those. I will most likely continue to use AirTran, but it mostly depends on price. I would give it three stars out of five.

• In-Flight Accommodations:

I have never had a problem with AirTran

Comments about AirTran:

I have no reason to dislike AirTran. I don't remember having a single problem with their airline's service, or their airplanes, or their employees. In fact, I think the only about them is that they don't stand out in any way for being superior---they just get you where you're going, and I think that's more than enough to be happy with.

Service
Again, nothing special---I was happy to get on their plane, and felt good when I got off. Not mind blowing, but no problem whatsoever. I don't remember any specifically positive or negative things about their service, which in itself is a good thing.

In-Flight Accommodations
It's basic. Relax and bring a book. They are a no-frills establishment, that's why the tickets are affordable, which is (I am sure) why you decided to fly with them in the first place. I never worry too much about what the airline is going to do for me on the flight, I just want to get where I'm going on time, or within reason.

Cheap, effective, uncomfortable.

Comments about AirTran:

While this product is not bad at actually transporting you to your destination, it does an awful job of keeping you comfortable in the process. I would only recommend AirTran if you need to get somewhere for minimal cost and comfort is not of much importance. Do not EVER expect a good night's sleep if you take a red-eye; the seats refuse to budge when you push back on them. And with whiny kids... Almost convinces me that taking a more expensive flight would be worth it. However, you can't really fault that they do get you to where you want to go.

Service
I like that most airlines will give you a free beverage; flying can somehow be thirst-inducing. Unfortunately, this is not "most airlines," as I never got good service or any "free" items. The flight attendants seemed almost angry when I asked for a napkin.

In-Flight Accommodations
Well; it has a bathroom and a sink, and you can get water. I do not like the over-the-top food prices; however.

Great fares

Comments about AirTran:

I flew on AirTran for the first time a few months ago. I was able to find nonstop flights at a great price so I decided to give this airline a try. Unfortunately there were two things about my trip that stand out in my mind. First, I chose to only do carryon luggage for two reasons, the cost of checking baggage and second, when I arrived at my location I was ready to get going. When I boarding my outgoing flight I was told I would have to gate check my bag and then when I arrived at the airport I had to wait a very long time at baggage claim, including a baggage area switch. The second problem though was much worse. During the descent I experience extreme pain in my head due to improper pressurization. I have only experienced that pain one other time and it was on a Southwest flight, which happens to own AirTran, so I feel it is something that they do that doesn't agree with me.

Service
Overall the staff working at the desk and on the flight were fine, but not overly helpful or friendly. They didn't go out of their way to make you feel valued like other airlines do.

In-Flight Accommodations
There was just the standard pretzels and drinks. Nothing special, although you could always purchase other items. Seats were ok, nothing super comfortable or spacious but standard.

Quick easy and convenient

Comments about AirTran:

I normally travel AirTran once year for my family vacation to Florida. We normally fly out of a small local airport (Atlantic city) which makes it nice to traveler having three kids. Parking is easy, ticket counter is quick, and the security and board run smooth. While on flight I have never experienced any bad experiences. Air staff were always polite and helpful when it comes to traveling with kids. I have never experienced and delays while traveling AirTran. The luggage and departure ran extremely smooth. Even the gate staff were excellent with loaded and unloaded my stroller at the gate. The price of the tickets were reasonably priced to match all other major companies.

Service
I always feel extra pressure when traveling with small children. They made sure our seats were always adjusted so that our entire family could sit together.

In-Flight Accommodations
All flight accommodations were good. Staff was quick if we needed drinks.