Other Airlines:

AirTran

Pros

Cons

• In-Flight Accommodations:

Wish I would have know about them years ago

I just flew AirTran for the first time about a month ago.  They were recommended to me by a friend who has been using them for a while.

I was pleasantly...Read complete review

I was pleasantly surprised by the price - they were less expensive than all of the other airlines.  And had perfect flight times for my situation.   We were only gone for about 30 hours, and the airline was one of the only things that wasn't a hassle on our trip.

For the most part the staff was very courteous and helpful.  I could have lived without that unpleasant man at the baggage check in counter in Detroit - but the lady at the baggage check counter in Atlanta was very friendly and helpful, and made up for the rude guy in Detroit.

The online check-in was very easy and convenient.

Airtran - spend a little more to arrive with your belongings

I've traveled with Airtran quite a bit over the past 5 years because they tend to be the cheapest airlines for the Dallas-Atlanta route.  That said, I refuse to ever fly Airtran again.  I had my entire make up case stolen out of my checked bag.  They pointed the finger at the airport authorities and refused to do anything about helping me file a claim, etc.  In fact, I called a "customer service" number that was given to me by an Airtran employee at the airport, and over the course of 3 weeks, not only did I not ever get a live human being, but I never got a returned call on any of my messages.  It took weeks of phone calls to never get any resolution.  The frustrating part of the entire scenario is that I was forced to pack it in my checked luggage due to the new travel regulations...and to have $500 worth of cosmetics and products stolen was frustrating and expensive.  The bottom line is that the airline takes zero responsibility and does not care whether you arrive at your destination with your belongings or not.  I refuse to give another dollar to such a poorly run organization.  I'd rather pay a little more and fly American or Delta.  Lesson learned.

PRICES SEEM FAIR... BEFORE THE OH SO PRICEY & HIDDEN FEES

from MI, USA

Comments about AirTran:

EVERYONE WANTS TO LOWEST/BEST PRICE WHEN BUYING A PLANE TICKET... BUT PLEASE BEWARE OF AIR TRAN AND THEIR INITIAL PRICES! THEY ARE DECEPTIVE AND DECEIVING TO ANYONE LOOKING FOR THE BEST DEAL DUE TO THE MANY DIFFERENT TYPES OF FEES THAT ARE HIDDEN AWAY WHICH ALLOWS THE BUYER TO PURCHASE WHILE GETTING HIT WITH THE REST OF THE FEES AND TAXES AT A LATER DATE AND TIME. I HAVE BEEN BURNED THIS WAY... BUT LESSON LEARNED AND LEARNED FAST.

want to feel like cattle? choose this airline

Comments about AirTran:

So they are in that whole, discount flying category, except that they forgot that their customers are actual people and not boxes or cattle. Flying with these people will make you feel like you are both of those things. They aren't really any cheaper than the other discount airlines, so they aren't doing themselves any favors by also having crappy customer service.

Service
What service? There is no service. The people that work for this company just stare at you blankly while you try to explain that your flight has been delayed, but their plane is broken. You are trying to find another way to get to your destination, and they are doing nothing. They will act like it's your fault your plane is delayed. I just want to figure out a solution to the problem, a little cooperation would be awesome.

In-Flight Accommodations
Their planes look tired and beat up by a kindergarten class hyped up on Halloween candy. You'll have very little personal space, and you won't be riding in a plane that makes me you feel clean and safe. Pretty sure their planes are never disinfected and actually cleaned.

Wonderful Business Class

from Palm Bay, FL

Comments about AirTran:

I flew airTran from Philadelphia to Orlando once. I was coming home from the Peace Corps and was just really looking forward to being home. I was given business class, which I was quite thrilled about. The seats are much bigger in this area and I felt comfortable the entire time. The arm rests were actually big enough for me to use as well. I was given a drink and a snack as soon as I boarded the plane - I did not have to wait like the people in coach. I was also offered more drinks and snacks throughout the flight. It is a small perk, but it is nice. It was also nice to be the first off the plane. I did not have to wait for everyone to debark first. I am not sure I would pay for this feature, but it would be a great upgrade with points. Now airTran's point system has merged with Southwest, bringing even more value to airTran for me. I have a Southwest credit card and get points that way, and airTran flights add to my Southwest points now.

Decent budget flight experience

from north augusta sc

Comments about AirTran:

Air Tran is not as fancy as other air lines, but they sold me affordable air line tickets at the last minute. This is probably one of the cheapest air lines I could buy tickets at. The one major issue that I have with Air Tran is that they can re-route the flight within a day of flying to my destination. I had a huge problem with this. I like to arrive a day before a big meeting, and my flight was delayed until the morning of my meeting! I still made it in time, because they flight was in the morning.I was incredibly anxious that I would miss the meeting. I have to take off points for Air Tran changing the flight. Overall, I would stay away from Air Tran unless you absolutely have to use them for a low cost flight.

Service
Air Tran has decent service. The stewardess was nice to me on my flight and I did not have any issue there. Air line food was horrible, but I did not expect much.

In-Flight Accommodations
Air Tran has bare bones accommodations. This is truly a budget flight. The seats were not comfortable and I could not sleep on my flight.

Very Fun

Comments about AirTran:

I loved it! The employees were great and they even offered several snacks while in the air. It was my very first time riding on a plane, so I was kind of nervous. The Flight Attendant made me feel so relaxed and offered to sit with me if I needed it. Although I declined the offer, it was nice to know that an airline would go the extra mile for their customers. Every time I travel, I go with AirTran because they know how to treat you. The prices aren't too bad either. I felt like I was in first class because of the way I was treated, but only had a coach ticket. I must admit, that experience encouraged me to ride planes more often to far destinations.

Service
They were all professional and really went the extra mile to make me feel comfortable. I loved the way the pilot would give us details about our arrival and turbulence.

In-Flight Accommodations
The snacks were great and they even offered headphones in order to listen to XM Radio while in the air. It was great!

Adequate for Travel, Bare Minimum Services

Comments about AirTran:

The merger between Southwest and Air Tran hasn't really done much outside of diversifying the flights offered by both companies. Unfortunately Air Tran's service hasn't really improved, nor have prices dropped. Overall you get more value for purchasing a Southwest ticket and not much luxury for purchasing Air Tran. Air Tran coach is usually cramped and over-filled on main routes, while business class is only slightly larger the benefits relative to the cost of the ticket are not that interesting. Like most companies, AirTran charges for checking baggage and the customer service is basic and not particularly accommodating. (The flight attendants are very nice and well-trained so they're not included in that statement and I want to add that they do the best they can with what they have). Overall AirTran is a company that you take because it's the cheapest way to get there.

Worst flight experience

Comments about AirTran:

Flying with AirTran Airlines was probably one of the worst flight experiences that I have ever had. I have flown dozens of times on numerous airines, between college and living in different parts of the country and world. The one time that I flew on AirTran Airlines, it was a miserable experience that made me swear to never fly with them again. Not only was our flight extremely delayed in leaving for absolutely no reason at all (at least, they would not provide a reason - not weather or mechanical delays), but once we finally got onto the airplane, we sat on the runway for an extremely long time. The only reason that I did not miss my connecting flight was because I had a five hour layover; as it was, I had to run to that gate at the airport. Many people on the flight missed their connecting flights and had difficulty getting new ones scheduled (I could overhear the conversations going on while we were all waiting at the gate for a plane to show up that we could board). The airplane itself was absolutely disgusting. There was garbage everywhere, and there were stains on the seats and carpet. I almost didn't want to put my bags down or even sit down. The flight attendants were grumpy and rude.

Used to LOVE them!

from VA

Comments about AirTran:

I used to absolutely love flying with AirTran. You can fly non-stop to so many destinations at a really decent price. But in the past 10 years or so I think they have gone downhill somewhat. There are not as many destinations, the prices have climbed, and most of the flights have lay overs. The flight attendants are usually friendly and helpful. The regular customer service is helpful and usually pretty friendly. Booking the tickets is easy as you can call or book online. Check in is easy. Baggage is still decent, no big rate hikes or add on fees that are not completely up front like some airlines. I just really wish airtran would expand and open back up in more destinations with inexpensive non-stop flights. I would definitely fly more often with them if they did, as they used to always be my go to for all my flights. I have never had any major issues with them over all.

Horrible Airline

from Greer, SC

Comments about AirTran:

This is a horrible airline. In fact our family affectionately refers to Air Tran as "Air Trash". We took an Air Tran flight to Texas to visit family one time. Never again! What a terrible airline. Their planes are small and cramp and worst of all dirty. The flight attendants were rude and the seats were uncomfortable. I'm not sure if this company gets old rejected planes from other airlines, but the one we flew on was old and nasty. About the only thing this airline has going for it is it's prices which actually drew us to the airline in the first place. Their prices are super cheap. In my opinion it is much better to spend a little bit more money to not have such a terrible experience. You don't have to spend a fortune to get a nicer airline with polite attendants, clean interior, and comfortable seats. To me it's definitely worth the extra money. Overall I would not recommend "Air Trash" to anyone. Terrible airline. Terrible experience.

Good Service. Cheap Prices

from Chicago, IL

Comments about AirTran:

Let me start by saying I am an AirTran fan. I began using them when traveling to and from college some years ago. The ticket prices are reasonable, especially considering the college budget I was on. And the service was just a good. I still fly AirTran to this day when I can.

Service
AirTran's service is equal to other airlines around these days. I am always treated courteously and with respect. The flight attendants are always pleasant and very helpful. In my all years of flying with AirTran I've not yet had a bad experience.

In-Flight Accommodations
The in-flight accommodations are as to be expected. You're offered a complimentary beverage. Usually juice, water, or pop. You also receive a bag of pretzels. Anything else you'd like must be paid for. The seats are small, but I've never been on a flight that lasted more than 3hrs so it's definitely doable. I think it is a good deal considering what you pay for the flights.