Other Cold & Flu Medicines:

Afrin No Drip Extra Moisturizing Nasal Spray

Pros

Cons

• Cough Suppression:

Works better than the perscription sinus nasal sprays

My sister is a nurse, and she told me that Afrin Sinus (nasal spray) works better for her than anything she's ever gotten from a doctor. She also said it made her nose bled when she used it very often. So, I'll start with that warning (though it's never had that effect on me).

I think I have allergies. I've never been tested. But, I get sinus infections pretty regular. The problem seems to be that my nose does not run or blow. I get stopped up and then get infected.

This seems to be a family trait. I remember when I tried to get my kid to blow his nose. I held up the Kleenex, and said to "blow." He blew with his mouth. We just don't seem to get that nose blowing thing.

I do try to blow my nose but without much luck, so I use nasal sprays when I seem to be stopped up. If I don't get a handle on that stuff, then it's back to the doc for antibiotics for the dreaded sinus infections.

Afrin is a typical nasal spray. Stick bottle up nose. Smash bottle. Spaz a bit. Feel better.

When I use Afrin, it does get things moving. My nose will run a bit. I get some gunk down the back of my throat. I can manage a bit of a blow. Then, I feel much better. But, I do not do this in public - ever. It is not a pretty sight.

Afrin does the trick. It is not fun. It does not taste good, and you can taste it in your throat. But, it's better than a sinus infection and a trip to the doctor.

Use with caution for a couple days only

As a physician, I see a lot of patients every day who suffer from sinus congestion (either from allergies, or acute or chronic sinus infections). Many people try over the counter nasal decongestants, such as this product. But while it is a TERRIFIC product to use for one to three days of congestion, it can cause more problems than it solves, if you use it for a prolonged period of time. It causes "rebound" runny-nose, which is basically when your nose has become so "accustomed" to having this spray inside it, that you begin to get a runny nose all the time unless you keep using the spray. Also, since it acts by causing the blood vessels in your nose and sinuses to temporarily "shrink" in size, this can eventually cause the lining of your nose to get very dry and irritated, which then leads to nosebleeds.So the take-home message is, if you are going to use this product, don't use it for more than three or four days at a time. If you are still having congestion after that time, see your doctor, because there are better options out there!

wish I could give 0 stars for this garbage

from new york

Comments about Afrin No Drip Extra Moisturizing Nasal Spray:

the prodict inside the bottle may be fine but since the cap will not come off it is less than worthless to me. might want to make a cap that actually comes off so that people like me dont waste time buying this garbage..If I need it then I need to be able to access the contents. duh..this is the worst product out there. buy at your own risk..it is a COMPLETE waste of money

Afrin no drip moisturizing nose spray

Profile Image

Comments about Afrin No Drip Extra Moisturizing Nasal Spray:

Okay so this product does do wonders on a stuffed up nose but I do not see where the moisturizing part of this is. I used this for about three days when I had a bad cold, it worked so well at clearing up my congestion and helping me breathe. It does drip a little though unless you somewhat harshly breathe in after spraying, but I do that with any nasal spray. I feel they need to remove the moisturizing off the label because my nasal passages did not feel any better after using this. They were still very dry and irritated. This is a great product for congestion but do not buy it for the moisturizing aspect of it.

Congestion Relief
Cleared up my stuffy nose almost immediately and kept it away for about five hours.

Chest Congestion Relief
This is a nasal spray, it will do nothing for chest congestion.

Relief of Aches & Pains
Again this medicine is only for nasal congestion.

Cough Suppression
This product is only for nasal congestion. Will do absolutely nothing for a cough.

No Drip Nose Spray

from Stroudsburg, PA

Comments about Afrin No Drip Extra Moisturizing Nasal Spray:

The Afrin No Drip Extra Moisturizing Nasal Spray won't give you post nasal drip, and it won't drip out of your nose either when you use it.

It gives moisture/soothes dry and irritated nasal passages. It works fast to give congestion relief for up to 12 hours.

I get really bad allergies and sinus infections, and this works amazing for that. It does an amazing job at clearing up congestion in almost seconds. I turn into a mouth breather when I'm all clogged up, and Afrin makes it so I can breathe through my nose clearly. It gets rid of that horrible sinus pressure that causes major headaches all the time. I can also feel like my nose is moist instead of dried out like other nasal sprays make me feel. It helps to soothe winter dryness too. I would say that it does work close to 12 hours, which is great because using nose sprays too often can irritate my nose and cause nose bleeds. But this Afrin does not do that.

The downsides are that it's a little pricey but it's worth it, and you can't use this everyday otherwise your nose will get too used to it, and not be able to live without it/cause nose bleeds/other irritations as well. It can be very additive so use it sparingly.

Congestion Relief
It helps greatly with nasal and sinus congestion. My nose felt moisturized, and cleared up almost completely. I felt instant relief.

Chest Congestion Relief
It did not help me with any chest congestion, but I wasn't getting post nasal drip, so I had less congestion stuck inside my chest.

Relief of Aches & Pains
Not made to give relief for aches and pains.

Cough Suppression
This does not help with cough suppression, but it does make my throat less irritated, because I don't get post nasal drip using this spray.

• Cough Suppression:

Helps you breathe instantly!

Comments about Afrin No Drip Extra Moisturizing Nasal Spray:

To me this is the best product to help relieve nasal congestion/swelling! It instantly help you breathe! It instantly significantly relieves nasal swelling and congestion! I had the worst sinus could and hadn't been sleeping for days due to not being able to breathe! One use of this medicine and I will be hooked for life! I could finally breathe and didn't feel like I was drowning..

Congestion Relief
It instantly relieves congestion.

Chest Congestion Relief
I selected 5 for this because I am neutral on this part. I did not suffer from chest congestion when I tried this product.

Relief of Aches & Pains
I rated it as a 1 this product is not intended for aches and pains.

Cough Suppression
It did help a little with my cough due to the fact that it helped relieve my nasal situation that was irritating my throat.

Lost my sense of smell for nearly 2 months after use

Comments about Afrin No Drip Extra Moisturizing Nasal Spray:

I had a very bad experience using Afrin No Drip Nasal Spray. Last December I had a cold. I was getting fed up with my nose being so stuffy so I decided to use Afrin No Drip Nasal Spray to see if I could unclog my nose a bit. I squirted the recommended number of squirts in my nostrils and nearly immediately I could feel my nose becoming unclogged and I was able to breathe through my nose again for the first time in days. Initially I was very pleased. I thought that I had found a great product that would work well for me. Just a very few minutes later I went to put Vicks Vaporub on and noticed I couldn't smell it. I thought this was odd because I had been able to smell it a little bit before even with a very congested nose. I couldn't smell it at all. Vicks is a very strong smell so I thought this was odd but figured it was just my cold being odd. This continued throughout the day, then the next day, and the next. By the third day I was starting to get worried but not too much. A few more days had passed and my cold was gone and I was feeling back to normal. I still couldn't smell anything - not Vicks, not food, not even my son's dirty diapers. It started to become quite troubling. Another week or so passed and I assumed I should be getting better with my smell. Being that I couldn't smell I couldn't taste anything either. I have to say it was very depressing. After about 3 weeks I began to worry that it would never come back. It ended up being about 2 months before my smell (and sense of taste) started to come back. By about 2.5-3 months I was able to smell and taste nearly like normal. I can't be sure that the sense of smell being completely gone was for sure related to the use of Afrin, but it seems rather coincidental that it started literally minutes after I sprayed my nose. It could be unrelated, I'll never know for sure. But because this happened I won't be taking the risk to see if it happens again. I consider my self my lucky that my sense of smell returned. I do have to say that I know I won't take a sense of smell for granted ever again. You don't know how much you appreciate it until it's gone.
I will say that the product did do what it was supposed to do well - I did get uncongested. Maybe I had a bad side effect, or perhaps it was just an odd coinicidence but I just wanted to let people know so they can decide for themselves if it's something they are willing to try.

• Cough Suppression:

Afrin works well, but has its flaws too.

from Camp Lejeune, NC

Comments about Afrin No Drip Extra Moisturizing Nasal Spray:

Even thought I use Flonase (a nasal spray) for my allergies, I was hesitant to use Afrin for clearing my congestion. Something about it just weirded me out, but I had a bottle on hand, so I decided to give it a try. Well, I was pleasantly surprised.

Congestion Relief
This product has a pump spray that worked really well. I feel like it got really deep into my sinuses and cleared my nasal congestion quickly and efficiently. My only real qualm with this product is that the package says "No Drip", but I did have dripping associated with using this a couple times. I know it was related to this product because the dripping didn't occur before I used it. Other than that, this is a great product to clear up nasal congestion.

Temporary Cold Relief

Profile Image

from Eagle River, AK

Comments about Afrin No Drip Extra Moisturizing Nasal Spray:

Nobody likes suffering with a cold, and I have my share of colds and sinus infections every winter. We have been an "Afrin" household for years, but Afrin has some new products on the market that I prefer, such as their NoDrip Moisturizing spray.

The bottle looks similar to a prescription spray my doctor prescribed for me, and I like that the pump delivers one metered spray per use. This means I won't be getting too much nose spray in my sinus cavities (unless I pumped it more than once).

Gone are the days when the nose spray would drip back out of my nose or dribble down my throat. This is a fine mist that stays in place! And the relief is nearly instant, a welcome relief when I am awake in the middle of the night because I cannot breathe.

There are warnings on the bottle, and these warnings should be heeded. Both myself and my husband have been addicted to nasal sprays in the past. These sprays, if used too often, have a rebound effect, in that they actually make the nasal membranes swell instead of shrink them, meaning you have to use more at a time to get the same results. This is bad news, and believe me, you do not want to become addicted to nose sprays!

For that reason, I only use Afrin NoDrip when I absolutely have to. I try to get by with using a saline spray or a Neti Pot, which does help flush out the sinus's and help me to breathe better. Still, when nothing else works, it sure is nice to have Afrin in the house.

Afrin NoDrip Moisturizing relieves my congestion almost instantly

Chest Congestion Relief
Have not noticed any relief from chest congestion

Relief of Aches & Pains
No relief from aches and pains, I don't believe there are any pain relievers in this product

Cough Suppression
Since I don't have as much post nasal drip, this actually does help to control a cough, somewhat

Afrin Extra Moisturizing Sinus Spray Clears Your Stuffy Head

from Houston, TX

Comments about Afrin No Drip Extra Moisturizing Nasal Spray:

If you suffer from sinus problems like I do, then you know that the only really good solution to badly clogged sinuses is sinus spray. Most any sinus spray will do, but it is always nice when the spray offers something extra and that is what you get with Afrin Extra Moisturizing Sinus Spray.

Sinus Spray Facts and Commentary:

Afrin Extra Moisturizing Sinus Spray goes to work quickly. A few squirts into each nostril and the ingredients immediately start to work on swollen passages, opening up the sinuses and eliminating the pressure. The product is designed to keep sinuses open for up to 12 hours.

I have tried just about every sinus spray on the market and Afrin Extra Moisturizing Sinus Spray is one of the better options available. I like that it clears the sinuses in much the same way as regular Afrin, but with added moisturizers to help soothe dryness. During the winter season in particular, sinuses are often dry and this dryness leads to even more irritation than usual. The added moisturizers make a difference and are a nice addition to the product.

Afrin Extra Moisturizing Sinus Spray effectively opens up the sinus passages and it makes a good choice when you need fast relief and want it to last. The 12 hour claim is a little exaggerated, but the relief is still very good and it does last much longer than the typical spray.

Bottom Line Viewpoint:

Afrin Extra Moisturizing Sinus Spray is a very good product for congestion relief and for moisturizing the nasal passages. It isn’t cheap, but it does work quite well and the added moisturization qualities make it a product worth trying.

Congestion Relief
This product is very good at wiping out congestion

Use with caution for a couple days only

from Lake Geneva, WI

Comments about Afrin No Drip Extra Moisturizing Nasal Spray:

Absolutely the best nasal spray on the market.

from Duluth, GA

Comments about Afrin No Drip Extra Moisturizing Nasal Spray:

Afrin is absolutely the best nasal spray on the market. I have used it for more than 20 years, and haven't found anything that comes close to it. I use it whenever I am congested. Within two minutes I can breathe clearly. It is especially good to use before bedtime so that you can  breate easily and get a good night's sleep.