1.4

Pros

Cons

• Customer Service:
    • Vehicle Selection:

Nice cars with decent service for a great price

As I was planning my recent trip to Los Angeles, I learned that people tend to review only when they have a bad experience.  I'm here to tell you that my experience with Advantage was just fine.  It was the cheapest price I could find (including the unfortunate underage fee for being under 25) and I was skeptical when I read all the reviews about how poor the service was, but I went ahead with it anyway.  The shuttle came and picked me up from LAX promptly and took me to the company lot.  The only bad thing that happened was there was only one employee working at the rental center at the time so I had to wait about 20 minutes before being helped.  However, once I got to being helped it was fine.  I stood my ground and resisted any of the extra charges (there was NO way I was paying more than I had to), and I would suggest others to do the same.  If you already have car insurance, chances are it may cover you for rentals, so I'd check into that before you think about buying into any of their "extra coverage." I was very surprised at the quality of car I got.  From all the reviews I read, I thought I'd be getting a clunker since I signed up for the economy car (cheapest one), but no!  I walked out and found that my rental was a 2009 Nissan Sentra.  Well, color me happy!  The car ran great and looked great (clean inside and out, no dents/dings/scratches).  It got me everywhere I needed to be and when I returned it, all I had to do was make sure it had the same amount of gas it had when I got it (but I had to check the amount with them when I turned it in - they tried to tell me it went out with a full tank of gas when it only went out with half.  All I had to do was show them my payment info that confirmed it was only at half when I drove it off the lot and they changed it).  The employees were very nice and helpful.  The price they charged me in the end was exactly what I had figured when I was budgeting my trip - I was super happy that they didn't try to tack on any extra fees when I brought it back (that was one of my biggest fears).  They shuttled me right back to the airport gate I needed to be at and that was that. All I'm saying is, bear in mind that people generally review when they've had a bad experience.  I'm glad I stuck with Advantage - it was the cheapest price for a nice car that got me where I needed to be with no hassles.

Beware Scam Attempts and bad service at Advantage

We recently went on a trip to Orlando Florida and booked a rental car through Orbitz. The best deal came up as Advantage Rent a Car at the airport. Orbitz offered to pre-buy auto insurance for the rental car ahead of time for a discount. I did it. When we arrived at the rental counter, the customer service rep told me that the pre bought insurance "didn't count" and that I would not be covered if there was damage done to the car, but they would offer to sell me their insurance for extra. Furthermore, they told me they would charge $10 more a day to add a driver to the vehicle. Then they warned us that the vehicle better not have any damage or even minor blemishes done to it or we would have to pay. After that we walked out to the parking garage to get the car which they said would be waiting for us. When we got there it took over half an hour for the car to show up. Then we had to take an additional 20 minutes to document all the dings and damage it already had so we wouldn't be liable. The car ended up working out great for us, but I would never use this rental car company again!

Rent somewhere else

from Raleigh Durham International Airport-RDU

Comments about Advantage Rent A Car:

I am an insurance agent and I rented the car through SouthWest Airlines website. Because I decline the "Extra" insurance and "tank of gas", the associate hit me with $200 retainer fees. $200 for a $23,000 car. Really? And his excuse is he needs to see the car back in one piece. If I brought it in two, what will happen? You will take the $200!! This is A SCAM.

Shame on them

from denver co

Comments about Advantage Rent A Car:

I think this car company is named appropriately! They like to take advantage of young adults who have never rented a car! I sent my daughter on a graduation trip and she rented a car from Denver airport.
The young lady who rented the car to her told her she had to have a 6 cylinder car to drive in RMNP. Even though my daughter brought her proof of insurance in which she is covered for rental cars that "customer Representative " told her she had to have their insurance. She ended up putting $700 on a 5 day rental on to her credit card. Do you know how long that will take a college student to pay off!!!! Silly me I forgot to tell her they work on commission and they would try to take "advantage" of her. Shame on them!!!!

RUN RUN RUN.... don't walk! HORRIBLE!!!!!

from San Antonio

Comments about Advantage Rent A Car:

Run and don't walk! Horrible Service! Went on-line earlier and booked a rental car for three days thru Expedia for my daughter. The charge was $98.00 for a total of three days. We opted out of the "additional" insurance coverage because we didn't need it. Dropped my daughter off at the airport to pick up her rental. I drove back home, when I arrived my daughter called stated that they would charge her more for the additional coverage. I told her NO we don't need it we are covered, she then tells me that they want to see proof of our insurance!!!! I had to drive back to the airport, park in short term parking and get up to the Advantage Counter. Only to be greeted by an unprofessional women who had the nerve to take my insurance policy and enter it into their system. When I told her not to do that she said it was just there policy. Then proceed to tell us that there is a 250 mile limitation on the rental. Because Locals get charged additional mileage unless you are traveling into San Antonio then you don't have the limitation..... you get unlimited. Then she proceeded to tell me that many locals don't even return the cars and thats been a problem and Advantage Rent a Car is going to start making it very very hard to rent cars from them. I told her that when we booked this online it stated "unlimited mileage" and asked her "what other under hidden surprises do you have"??? She smirked as if all this was funny! After she asked us five different times about their insurance coverage and waiving it. I finally told her....do not ask us that again! We have full coverage and we don't want your coverage. When the deposit amount was presented ($200.00) I said "what choice do we have"! When I said that, she then said " you know what? I don't like your tone! And I'm not going to rent to you. So, she cancelled our rental. We walked to another counter and thank God there are still professionals. The young man greeted us, was calm and helped us immediately. Less

WORST RENTAL CAR EXPERIENCE OF MY LIFE

from Montrose, Colorado

Comments about Advantage Rent A Car:

Rented a car for 3 days at $38 a day and ended up paying over $400. When I asked not to buy any extra insurance they charged me almost $25 a day as a "waiver fee"! I take the liability and I have to pay them! Then they charged me $50 to "process" $1.72 in toll fees. STAY AWAY!

Horrible customer service

from Austin, Texas

Comments about Advantage Rent A Car:

We asked for the auto fill for gas/return empty. But our agent Brook must not have recorded it. Upon returning the car we were checked out by the worst customer service person I have ever met - Robert. He refused to help in any way and wanted to charge us over $100 for gas. Despite our protests he basically told us "your tough luck" we finally were given the opportunity to go buy gas and return. Before we could respond Robert "closed us out". He refused to give us that option or help in any way. This was in the Austin, TX airport. These people are rude and dishonest. Advantage has a rating of 1.5 out of 5. I have no idea how it could be that high. They are the worst. We will never rent from them again. In particular I recommend you choose another car rental agency in Austin.

bad experience

from Boston

Comments about Advantage Rent A Car:

That was my first and last time I rented a car from Advantage. This was the worst customer service I have experienced. They were trying to cheat me on the bill. They are very dishonest and do regret that had to deal with them.

I will not rent from advantage again

from Colorado

Comments about Advantage Rent A Car:

I made online reservations for a rental car with Advantage in Colorado as we were vacationing in Colorado. Upon arrival, I had to wait in line for 45minutes to pick up my vehicle. I was told the vehicle I requested and received a confirmation was NOT available and could upgrade (for additional fees). I told the clerk I was not paying additional fees as I pre-booked and have a confirmation number. Then I was told there was a vehicle available for me. When I opened the door, the amount of cigarette smoke was incredible! I went back inside and asked for a vehicle that was non-smoking as we do not smoke and I have a small child. I was told all their vehicles were non-smoking! After this, he then proceeded to tell me that someone else would need to help me as he was helping another customer! The next clerk promptly informed me there was NOT another vehicle available, then changed her mind and told me "there's a minivan. Oh wait, here's one." Then I was given another vehicle. I asked for a vehicle that has not had someone smoking in it, she immediately rolled her eyes and said "it's brand new!". I also asked about the return process and was told that when I return, I would drop the keys off and would not be required to go inside to the desk.... this was not true. Returning the vehicle was just as painful! I had to go inside and stand in line for 30minutes. When I asked about the shuttle to the airport I was told it runs every 8-10minutes. We were there for 30minutes without any shuttles! We were late getting to the airport and were dropped off (not at our airline) was told they only stop once to drop off. The customer service is lacking along with convenience typically experienced with other rental locations.

Never Again!

from Dallas, TX

Comments about Advantage Rent A Car:

Rented a car at Denver Airport. Upon return, found that the gas station at the airport could not accept credit cards due to a computer problem, so I returned the car with a half tank of gas.
I thought, how bad could it be?
My final bill was $31 for the car, $70 for the half tank of gas!
This is not charging an inconvenience fee, this is robbery!
Never Advantage again!

Never again!!

from Ft myers florida

Comments about Advantage Rent A Car:

Rented a car from advantage on March 9 for one week. First of all the location is off site it is not the airport as described, you have to shuttle to the location. Upon arrival along with two other shuttle buses, there was one employee it took hours to get her car. The price was not as described the car was filthy the service was horrible, we return the car to days early and received a seven dollar credit! Seven dollars! For two days early! I will never use this company again.

Stay Away from Advantage Rent A Car

from Utah

Comments about Advantage Rent A Car:

We waited 45 minutes at the LAX airport for our shuttle to arrive to take us to the Advantage location. After finally getting to the check-out desk, the associate asked if I just wanted the "basic" insurance. Then I was told that I had to leave a $200 deposit, which would be returned as soon as I returned the car. I reluctantly agreed and then was finally our way. The car smelled horrible- it took three days for the smell to subside. Returning the car, I was told that the deposit would be returned in about 7 business days onto my card. When I got my credit card statement - the "basic" insurance cost more than the cost of renting the car! We had the car for 5 days and the insurance alone was over $200!