1.5

Pros

Cons

• Customer Service:
    • Vehicle Selection:

Nice cars with decent service for a great price

As I was planning my recent trip to Los Angeles, I learned that people tend to review only when they have a bad experience.  I'm here to tell you that my experience with Advantage was just fine.  It was the cheapest price I could find (including the unfortunate underage fee for being under 25) and I was skeptical when I read all the reviews about how poor the service was, but I went ahead with it anyway.  The shuttle came and picked me up from LAX promptly and took me to the company lot.  The only bad thing that happened was there was only one employee working at the rental center at the time so I had to wait about 20 minutes before being helped.  However, once I got to being helped it was fine.  I stood my ground and resisted any of the extra charges (there was NO way I was paying more than I had to), and I would suggest others to do the same.  If you already have car insurance, chances are it may cover you for rentals, so I'd check into that before you think about buying into any of their "extra coverage." I was very surprised at the quality of car I got.  From all the reviews I read, I thought I'd be getting a clunker since I signed up for the economy car (cheapest one), but no!  I walked out and found that my rental was a 2009 Nissan Sentra.  Well, color me happy!  The car ran great and looked great (clean inside and out, no dents/dings/scratches).  It got me everywhere I needed to be and when I returned it, all I had to do was make sure it had the same amount of gas it had when I got it (but I had to check the amount with them when I turned it in - they tried to tell me it went out with a full tank of gas when it only went out with half.  All I had to do was show them my payment info that confirmed it was only at half when I drove it off the lot and they changed it).  The employees were very nice and helpful.  The price they charged me in the end was exactly what I had figured when I was budgeting my trip - I was super happy that they didn't try to tack on any extra fees when I brought it back (that was one of my biggest fears).  They shuttled me right back to the airport gate I needed to be at and that was that. All I'm saying is, bear in mind that people generally review when they've had a bad experience.  I'm glad I stuck with Advantage - it was the cheapest price for a nice car that got me where I needed to be with no hassles.

Beware Scam Attempts and bad service at Advantage

We recently went on a trip to Orlando Florida and booked a rental car through Orbitz. The best deal came up as Advantage Rent a Car at the airport. Orbitz offered to pre-buy auto insurance for the rental car ahead of time for a discount. I did it. When we arrived at the rental counter, the customer service rep told me that the pre bought insurance "didn't count" and that I would not be covered if there was damage done to the car, but they would offer to sell me their insurance for extra. Furthermore, they told me they would charge $10 more a day to add a driver to the vehicle. Then they warned us that the vehicle better not have any damage or even minor blemishes done to it or we would have to pay. After that we walked out to the parking garage to get the car which they said would be waiting for us. When we got there it took over half an hour for the car to show up. Then we had to take an additional 20 minutes to document all the dings and damage it already had so we wouldn't be liable. The car ended up working out great for us, but I would never use this rental car company again!

bad experience

from Boston

Comments about Advantage Rent A Car:

That was my first and last time I rented a car from Advantage. This was the worst customer service I have experienced. They were trying to cheat me on the bill. They are very dishonest and do regret that had to deal with them.

I will not rent from advantage again

from Colorado

Comments about Advantage Rent A Car:

I made online reservations for a rental car with Advantage in Colorado as we were vacationing in Colorado. Upon arrival, I had to wait in line for 45minutes to pick up my vehicle. I was told the vehicle I requested and received a confirmation was NOT available and could upgrade (for additional fees). I told the clerk I was not paying additional fees as I pre-booked and have a confirmation number. Then I was told there was a vehicle available for me. When I opened the door, the amount of cigarette smoke was incredible! I went back inside and asked for a vehicle that was non-smoking as we do not smoke and I have a small child. I was told all their vehicles were non-smoking! After this, he then proceeded to tell me that someone else would need to help me as he was helping another customer! The next clerk promptly informed me there was NOT another vehicle available, then changed her mind and told me "there's a minivan. Oh wait, here's one." Then I was given another vehicle. I asked for a vehicle that has not had someone smoking in it, she immediately rolled her eyes and said "it's brand new!". I also asked about the return process and was told that when I return, I would drop the keys off and would not be required to go inside to the desk.... this was not true. Returning the vehicle was just as painful! I had to go inside and stand in line for 30minutes. When I asked about the shuttle to the airport I was told it runs every 8-10minutes. We were there for 30minutes without any shuttles! We were late getting to the airport and were dropped off (not at our airline) was told they only stop once to drop off. The customer service is lacking along with convenience typically experienced with other rental locations.

Never Again!

from Dallas, TX

Comments about Advantage Rent A Car:

Rented a car at Denver Airport. Upon return, found that the gas station at the airport could not accept credit cards due to a computer problem, so I returned the car with a half tank of gas.
I thought, how bad could it be?
My final bill was $31 for the car, $70 for the half tank of gas!
This is not charging an inconvenience fee, this is robbery!
Never Advantage again!

Never again!!

from Ft myers florida

Comments about Advantage Rent A Car:

Rented a car from advantage on March 9 for one week. First of all the location is off site it is not the airport as described, you have to shuttle to the location. Upon arrival along with two other shuttle buses, there was one employee it took hours to get her car. The price was not as described the car was filthy the service was horrible, we return the car to days early and received a seven dollar credit! Seven dollars! For two days early! I will never use this company again.

Stay Away from Advantage Rent A Car

from Utah

Comments about Advantage Rent A Car:

We waited 45 minutes at the LAX airport for our shuttle to arrive to take us to the Advantage location. After finally getting to the check-out desk, the associate asked if I just wanted the "basic" insurance. Then I was told that I had to leave a $200 deposit, which would be returned as soon as I returned the car. I reluctantly agreed and then was finally our way. The car smelled horrible- it took three days for the smell to subside. Returning the car, I was told that the deposit would be returned in about 7 business days onto my card. When I got my credit card statement - the "basic" insurance cost more than the cost of renting the car! We had the car for 5 days and the insurance alone was over $200!

The worst possible service

from Salt Lake City, UT

Comments about Advantage Rent A Car:

The employee, Christa, just sat & ignored a line of customers because she was only was willing to check in cars despite knowing full well how to check out cars (she was supposedly "training." Itis amazing that a business this poor exists when there are so many good choices.

Incorrect Charge

from Fort Meyers, FL

Comments about Advantage Rent A Car:

We rented a car in Fort Meyers for three weeks and we had a good experience as we have had before with them, EXCEPT that, even though I had verbally declined the CDW coverage, I was asked to initial a contract (presented piecemeal and rapidly on an LCD screen) showing I had accepted it. Admittedly I should have read what I was presented carefully, but having already declined coverage and having not gotten it before when we rented there, I carelessly initialed the LCD screen I was presented and was charged an additional $525. Advantage claimed I had been given a careful explanation of all my choices before I initialed (but after I had declined verbally), but that is not true. They would rather keep their $525 than have us use them again, which I would have done, but not now. We fly through RSW three times a year and will be taking our business elsewhere from now on.

Toatal scam

from Detroit, MI

Comments about Advantage Rent A Car:

Not even worthy of 1 star. I rented a car at Logan Airport. I had my confirmation with me, but she first tried to charge me $20 more. Then she tells me they do not have the car size I reserved so it will be about $40 more. I argued that was not my fault so I would not pay that. She relented & went back to the $20 increase, I argued that & she relented & went with the price on my confirmation. I said I would have I back by 5pm, & was told that was fine. Little did I know that meant they would charge me another day, she put an earlier time on the form without telling me & never told me that I would have to pay for another day.

Buyer Beware!

from ATL airport location

Comments about Advantage Rent A Car:

If you decide to rent from Advantage rental car, make double SURE you look over your contract before signing. I rejected the additional driver add on because it cost more, and the rep said she took it off. She did not. I complained when I returned the car and was told I had to call the company to get the charge reversed. The company said I had to deal with the location. I called the location, but was only allowed to leave messages, where no call was ever returned. I have since seen numerous reviews stating the same complaints. You cannot trust this company. I will never use them again.

Dishonest service and poor car

from LAX

Comments about Advantage Rent A Car:

The agent lied to me about California insurance requirements to get me to buy (expensive) insurance that I didn't need.
I had paid for a mid-sized car. I got a Mitsubishi Mirage which I now see described as sub-compact. Reviews of this car are uncomplimentary. One said "other small cars offer vastly better performance, comfort and overall refinement." and "Harsh ride; uncoordinated handling; sluggish acceleration; intrusive engine noise; low-quality interior materials." These comments accurately sum up my experience of this car. In addition the tank is tiny and need very regular refills - annoying on any long journey. So, that is the car I got for my money.
I would never use Advantage again and this was a learning experience.