1.5

Pros

Cons

• Customer Service:
    • Vehicle Selection:

Nice cars with decent service for a great price

As I was planning my recent trip to Los Angeles, I learned that people tend to review only when they have a bad experience.  I'm here to tell you that my experience with Advantage was just fine.  It was the cheapest price I could find (including the unfortunate underage fee for being under 25) and I was skeptical when I read all the reviews about how poor the service was, but I went ahead with it anyway.  The shuttle came and picked me up from LAX promptly and took me to the company lot.  The only bad thing that happened was there was only one employee working at the rental center at the time so I had to wait about 20 minutes before being helped.  However, once I got to being helped it was fine.  I stood my ground and resisted any of the extra charges (there was NO way I was paying more than I had to), and I would suggest others to do the same.  If you already have car insurance, chances are it may cover you for rentals, so I'd check into that before you think about buying into any of their "extra coverage." I was very surprised at the quality of car I got.  From all the reviews I read, I thought I'd be getting a clunker since I signed up for the economy car (cheapest one), but no!  I walked out and found that my rental was a 2009 Nissan Sentra.  Well, color me happy!  The car ran great and looked great (clean inside and out, no dents/dings/scratches).  It got me everywhere I needed to be and when I returned it, all I had to do was make sure it had the same amount of gas it had when I got it (but I had to check the amount with them when I turned it in - they tried to tell me it went out with a full tank of gas when it only went out with half.  All I had to do was show them my payment info that confirmed it was only at half when I drove it off the lot and they changed it).  The employees were very nice and helpful.  The price they charged me in the end was exactly what I had figured when I was budgeting my trip - I was super happy that they didn't try to tack on any extra fees when I brought it back (that was one of my biggest fears).  They shuttled me right back to the airport gate I needed to be at and that was that. All I'm saying is, bear in mind that people generally review when they've had a bad experience.  I'm glad I stuck with Advantage - it was the cheapest price for a nice car that got me where I needed to be with no hassles.

Beware Scam Attempts and bad service at Advantage

We recently went on a trip to Orlando Florida and booked a rental car through Orbitz. The best deal came up as Advantage Rent a Car at the airport. Orbitz offered to pre-buy auto insurance for the rental car ahead of time for a discount. I did it. When we arrived at the rental counter, the customer service rep told me that the pre bought insurance "didn't count" and that I would not be covered if there was damage done to the car, but they would offer to sell me their insurance for extra. Furthermore, they told me they would charge $10 more a day to add a driver to the vehicle. Then they warned us that the vehicle better not have any damage or even minor blemishes done to it or we would have to pay. After that we walked out to the parking garage to get the car which they said would be waiting for us. When we got there it took over half an hour for the car to show up. Then we had to take an additional 20 minutes to document all the dings and damage it already had so we wouldn't be liable. The car ended up working out great for us, but I would never use this rental car company again!

The worst possible service

from Salt Lake City, UT

Comments about Advantage Rent A Car:

The employee, Christa, just sat & ignored a line of customers because she was only was willing to check in cars despite knowing full well how to check out cars (she was supposedly "training." Itis amazing that a business this poor exists when there are so many good choices.

Incorrect Charge

from Fort Meyers, FL

Comments about Advantage Rent A Car:

We rented a car in Fort Meyers for three weeks and we had a good experience as we have had before with them, EXCEPT that, even though I had verbally declined the CDW coverage, I was asked to initial a contract (presented piecemeal and rapidly on an LCD screen) showing I had accepted it. Admittedly I should have read what I was presented carefully, but having already declined coverage and having not gotten it before when we rented there, I carelessly initialed the LCD screen I was presented and was charged an additional $525. Advantage claimed I had been given a careful explanation of all my choices before I initialed (but after I had declined verbally), but that is not true. They would rather keep their $525 than have us use them again, which I would have done, but not now. We fly through RSW three times a year and will be taking our business elsewhere from now on.

Toatal scam

from Detroit, MI

Comments about Advantage Rent A Car:

Not even worthy of 1 star. I rented a car at Logan Airport. I had my confirmation with me, but she first tried to charge me $20 more. Then she tells me they do not have the car size I reserved so it will be about $40 more. I argued that was not my fault so I would not pay that. She relented & went back to the $20 increase, I argued that & she relented & went with the price on my confirmation. I said I would have I back by 5pm, & was told that was fine. Little did I know that meant they would charge me another day, she put an earlier time on the form without telling me & never told me that I would have to pay for another day.

Buyer Beware!

from ATL airport location

Comments about Advantage Rent A Car:

If you decide to rent from Advantage rental car, make double SURE you look over your contract before signing. I rejected the additional driver add on because it cost more, and the rep said she took it off. She did not. I complained when I returned the car and was told I had to call the company to get the charge reversed. The company said I had to deal with the location. I called the location, but was only allowed to leave messages, where no call was ever returned. I have since seen numerous reviews stating the same complaints. You cannot trust this company. I will never use them again.

Dishonest service and poor car

from LAX

Comments about Advantage Rent A Car:

The agent lied to me about California insurance requirements to get me to buy (expensive) insurance that I didn't need.
I had paid for a mid-sized car. I got a Mitsubishi Mirage which I now see described as sub-compact. Reviews of this car are uncomplimentary. One said "other small cars offer vastly better performance, comfort and overall refinement." and "Harsh ride; uncoordinated handling; sluggish acceleration; intrusive engine noise; low-quality interior materials." These comments accurately sum up my experience of this car. In addition the tank is tiny and need very regular refills - annoying on any long journey. So, that is the car I got for my money.
I would never use Advantage again and this was a learning experience.

Worst Experience Ever

from Salt Lake City, Utah

Comments about Advantage Rent A Car:

Car was broken, unwashed, low on fuel, and dirty inside and out. Agents were rude. Upon my return, another agent attempted to keep my carbon copy of the damage I'd documented before renting the vehicle and charge me for fuel that was previously missing. Conveniently, Advantage lost their copy of the documented damages. Now I'm glad I didn't forfeit my carbon copy to them when they asked to keep it. I was sent a bill for over $3000 in damages that were present on the vehicle, and documented, before it was rented to me. I can't and won't recommend this company to anyone or ever do business with them again.

Worst company I've ever dealt with

from Sylvania, OH

Comments about Advantage Rent A Car:

If it were possible to post zero stars, I would...this was the absolute worst car rental experience ever. Without exception. I rented from this company (a rental I paid for in advance) solely because the price was reasonable and my intent was just to have a car for a day trip around Vegas. But I will never attempt to rent from this company again no matter the cost (which, by the way, includes a $200 hold on your card that they don't tell you about until the time of rental).

After waiting for approximately 30 minutes in line (even though there was only 1 person in front of me), I had the displeasure of meeting the most discourteous, unprofessional, rude counter agent I've ever dealt with in any scenario. When I told her that I did not appreciate her attitude, another agent named "Damien" came over and I anticipated that the process would then be improved. I was absolutely wrong as it just got worse.

"Damien" claimed that he was the "lead counter agent" and immediately adopted an entirely confrontational tenor while completely ignoring anything I said. Finally, when I had had enough and told him that I didn't need directions to the parking garage, he simply said "I"m not renting you a car today. You're done. Leave." He refused to bring his manager down (he alternately that he was the manager and that there wasn't one) and then threatened to "call security" if I didn't leave his counter. Calls to the 800 number resulted in being told that no supervisor was available but that I would be "assigned a complaint number." I do not anticipate any forthcoming resolutions.

I went across the hall and rented a car from Hertz for the same price and in less than 5 minutes.

This was far and away the worse experience I've ever had with any company and I cannot stress enough that they should be avoided at all costs.

Price is usually lower as is the service

from Bozeman, MT

Comments about Advantage Rent A Car:

I have used Advantage a couple of times usually because their rates tend to be lower. As the old adage says, you get what you pay for. Their shuttle buses tend to run less frequently so expect to get to their office later than the other car rental firms. Expect longer lines and slower service. Expect stubborn attempts to get you to add on the extra insurance, gas, toll coverage, etc. If you DO accidentally run through a toll road, Advantage will rip you off with an extra charge that exceeds that of other firms. So there you have it. Pay less and get less service. As for the cars, they are fine. It is simply the poor service. As they say time is money. If time is important, then bypass this firm.

Never Again

from Charlotte NC

Comments about Advantage Rent A Car:

I would never again use Advantage. Cheap is cheap! We turned in our car on 5/26 and haven't yet (5/29)received a receipt for our payment. We might have gotten one if we had waited longer for the supervisor (who knew of our problem but had not arrived when we said we would be there). But, we needed to catch our flight.
The Camry we received was a great car. One star! The service was terrible. We waited 2 hours and still left without a contract; as a result we hit horrible traffic & arrived late at our motel exhausted. Then we had to make another trip back to the airport to get a copy of the necessary contract. Another 2 hours wasted. Then we learned that Advantage had charged us without notifying us at the wrong higher amount. It took an hour to turn in the car and we're STILL WAITING FOR THE RECEIPT promised 3 DAYS AGO. We have received 4 REQUESTS for feedback on a barely usable form BUT NO RESPONSE to emails. We had to waste even more time calling our credit card company to try to omit the first & wrong charge. We lost about 5 hours of family time down there and are still trying to get our receipt (another 1/2 our.) Nobody will (or can) help.

Never Again

from Vermont

Comments about Advantage Rent A Car:

On a recent trip to DC I rented an SUV from Advantage. I had pre-paid for the car along with its insurance. Upon my arrival, they tried to upgrade me and said that my SUV might not be available. When I declined, they magically came up with my original request. Then they said that my insurance that I purchased wouldn't be enough. I had to re-purchase "their" insurance. NEVER AGAIN!!!!