Other Washing Machines:

Cons

• Energy Efficiency:
    • Cleaning Time:

Great Basic Washing Machine--Made by Whirlpool

The Admiral is a basic washing machine sold exclusively by Home Depot. Originally, these were made by Maytag, but since 2006 or so, Whirlpool Corporation has owned the Maytag name and produced them. So, outside of the control panel, it is a Whirlpool through and through. I have had this machine for over a year now, and it makes the same identical noises as my old Whirlpool washer, has the same capacity, same settings, and the same agitator. It works like every other typical Whirpool top loading washer...basically, it's been reliable, holds a good amount of clothes, and cleans them well. It spins them out well for the type of machine it is, but your laundry is going to be wetter out of one of these than a new high-efficiency machine.

The machine is a very basic machine. There are three wash options...Normal, Permanent Press, and Gentle (which isn't very gentle but more in a minute). Normal is your standard fast agitation/fast spin, timer ranges from 6-18 minutes. Permanent Press is fast agitation/slow spin, with a cool down spray on the first spin. GENTLE is DIFFERENT. There is no slow agitation on this washer. It agitates at high for a few seconds, pauses and soaks for several seconds, and agitates again. This repeats for the 4-6 minutes that you set on the time. Spin is high speed after both wash and rinse. This setting is fine for most of my knits that I do on Gentle, but really delicate stuff better be handwashed or in a pillowcase. It's not terribly gentle.

There are 4 water temperatures....HOT, WARM, COOL, COLD. Hot isn't just straight tap hot anymore....the machine adds a little bit of cooler water to the load so the temperature is about 110F instead of the old 140F...still gets clothes clean and uses less energy (feds mandated that one...don't be disgruntled with the manufacturers). WARM, likewise, is about 85F vs. the old 100F. COOL is very hand....the machine adds just enough warm water to the mix so detergents will dissolve and work correctly. I use this the most to keep my colors bright and my powder detergent dissolved.

The only amenity this machine has is a bleach dispenser...no fabric softener. You need to either train yourself to listen for the rinse cycle or be satisfied with dryer sheets. Personally, dryer sheets don't bother me.

It's not the most gentle or quiet machine I've encountered, but it's very reasonably priced. If you need a good reliable workhorse that just cleans clothes...no bells and whistles, this machine will probably make you happy. I live mine for its simplicity and sturdiness!

Never again will i buy anything from this company!

This will probably be the most negative review I have ever written or will ever write, so here goes. I bought this machine not quite two and a half years ago and it's completely unusable at this point. I have had it repaired twice for two separate issues, and it continued to break down on us. Granted there are two adults and four children living in my home, but when I spend over $300 on a washer I expect to get more than a year before things start going wrong. This worked great when I got it and it's only been used for normal clothes and nothing heavy duty. I don't wash my comforters or any other bedding in there. So it has only been used for our everyday clothes. First thing that happened was leaking. We had that repaired and it did not leak again and I'm not sure why it was leaking in the first place but that was not a big deal. Then the next issue was that it was skipping the rinse cycle, which I think was a while coming because I noticed my clothes seemed to feel wierd and I think it slowly worked Its way to not rinsing at all. I again got the machine fixed and it seemed okay for several months, as far as mechanically goes. It seemed to stop cleaning out clothes as nice as it once did and I didn't like that at all, but had to make due as we were moving and needed to wait a while before purchasing another one. The final nail in its coffin was that it decided to totally quit the spin cycle. Of course it went through everything fine until it reached the spin out and then it would just sit still and drain out the water without spinning. At this point it's junk to me as I've already put too much money in it, and I didn't think it was worth anymore time or money. And I can't rely on it because it's been an on going problem for the last year straight. I really wanted to try the lower costing washer and dryer but I think it ended up being much more expensive because Of its numerous issues. I will never buy this brand again, it was a total disappointment. I don't recc.

The Admiral Super Capacity Washer is Great

from Cottonwood, AZ

Comments about Admiral Super Capacity Top Load Washer:

I've had this washer for 7 years and never had a problem.

It will wash everything including my queen size comforter with no problem and has the bleach and softener dispensers that do a great job.  With the numerous load settings I don't have to waste water either.  I always wash in cold water and have never had a problem.

Works like the best!!!

from Bradenton, FL

Comments about Admiral Super Capacity Top Load Washer:

Bought the Admiral washer after my "really expensive, deluxe"  washer broke.  I spent lots of money on the deluxe one and was very disappointed it broke in a short time.  I have had the Admiral washer for over 2 years now and love it!!!  I never used all those special buttons on the other machine.  The Admiral washer is simple and efficient.  My wash comes out clean.  I use only cold water to save on energy and cost and doesn't matter, clothes come out perfect every time.  If my Admiral ever dies I will definitely buy another one.  I am on a strict budget and it was the perfect price for me.

This Admiral washer rocks.

from Hudson, FL

Comments about Admiral Super Capacity Top Load Washer:

I ordered this washer over the internet keeping my fingers crossed.  This was the first time I have ordered a large appliance without first seeing it.  Myself and family are delighted with this washer. I think it cleans much better than the machine we replaced and it was half the price. It doesn't have a lot of bells and whistles but really who needs or uses all of them.  The only thing I miss is a built in fabric softener dispenser, however, I use the downy ball and have great results.  Really it is a win win situation, no more cleaning built up fabric softener in the machine  All in all a great appliance.