View more routers

MI424-WR

Fast and reliable

from Annandale, VA

Comments about Actiontec:

I signed up for Verizon's FiOS fiber-optic service two years ago. Near the end of the installation, the technician pulled out a wireless router that connected to the FiOS service and would take the place of my existing wireless router. I was dubious about this new piece of gear, since I got pretty good service from my own router. However, this new router was required for FiOS service, so I didn't have a choice. I have been very impressed ever since with this new router, which is an Actiontec MI424WR.

**What it is**

The Actiontec MI424WR is a cable-modem type router that has a standard "F" coaxial connector. Although Verizon's FiOS signal runs to my house as a fiber-optic cable, a box on the exterior of the house feeds only coaxial cables into the house. One of these coax cables runs to the FiOS receiver that feeds my TV and the other coax cable feeds the Actiontec MI424WR router.

The router itself stands about 10 inches tall and it has a seven-inch-long antenna extending from its top. The front panel has a bunch of icons and blinking lights, and the back panel has a variety of connectors. These include four standard Ethernet (RJ-45) LAN connectors, one Ethernet (RJ-45) WAN connector, a coxial connector, a power port and an on/off switch.

The Actiontec MI424WR router is capable of WiFi "G" speeds, although the unit's specs say that "N" capability will be available in the future. I do not know if the MI424WR I have includes wireless "N" capability, which is much faster than the already fast "G" technology.

This router can do WEP, WPA and WPA2 security. Of these, WEP is the weakest but that is what I use.

**Using it**

I've had the Actiontec MI424WR router operating for two years and it has worked without a single glitch. I have used this router wirelessly with at least six different devices, including laptop computers, cell phones and even an iPod Touch, and it worked perfectly with every device. The MI424WR has WEP security as its default operation and the WEP key is right on the label on the side of the router. All I have had to do was to read that key to someone who wanted to connect, and they could immediately connect. There has never been a single problem.

My house is small, but the Actiontec MI424WR has more than enough signal to easily cover my home at quite fast speeds. We sometimes use a laptop connected to my TV to watch streamed movies from Netflix, and the Actiontec router is at one end of the house and the TV is at the other. The signal has to go about 45 feet and travel through at least three walls, but there has never been a problem watching these Netflix movies.

All in all, the Actiontec MI424WR router has been more reliable and faster than my original router. In fact, it's been fantastic -- it has literally never caused a problem for which I am aware.

**Summary**

The Actiontec MI424WR router is the best wireless router that I have personally used. After two years of use, it has been completely reliable and it remains fast. Its coverage of my home is perfect, and I keep wondering if I could sell the signal to my neighbors, whose house is only about 20 feet from mine.

I don't recall seeing Actiontec routers in stores but they are available on the Internet. Next time I need a router, I will certainly consider an Actiontec model, and it wouldn't be a problem to buy another MI424WR. This is an excellent wireless router.

Works great have had not problems with overall performance.

from Riverview, FL

Comments about Actiontec:

This is my second router from Verizon of this type. The first one just went bad and they replaced it for me. I would say that the overall perfromance is consistant and secure. Any one that has logged on to use has been impressed. THe Actiontec router is a very good product overall.