View more laptops

5620-6716
Acer Extensa Notebook PC

Acer Extensa Notebook PC

3.8

I hate this computer; only somewhat good for using the internet.

from A Small Town, NJ

Comments about Acer Extensa Notebook PC:

I absolutely hate this computer.

First of all, it is not mine, and it was only bought to be used for going on the internet, which is the only thing it is good for.  I use it all the time; it is certainly much better than my seven year old Dell desktop.  But it's not what you might want.

This computer has only about an hour and a half of battery life, and the screen is visibly brighter when you plug it in.

I don't know if it was just the way it was bought, but this thing came with pretty much nothing on it. Just the bare minimum, and a 60 day free trial of Microsoft Office 2007.  I had to install the old 2002 version onto it.

And I use Word a lot.  When I noticed that the internet wasn't really up to speed, I decided that deleting my documents would help.  All 300 of them. And that was just the Word documents. I also deleted videos, pictures, music, and a bunch of other stuff that I didn't need.  It did help speed up the computer a bit, but I shouldn't have to delete files that I may or may not need anymore just to keep some computer working properly.

Another thing that I don't like is the placement of the wireless connectivity switch.  It is located on the front edge of the computer.  If you happen to have the computer on your lap (because it's a laptop), and you move, or rub against it, the computer will disconnect from the internet.  Even though you only have to flip the switch again to make it reconnect, it is quite annoying and it does take a few moments to find a signal and be back to normal.

What I hate most of all actually occurred a few moments ago.  You see, this computer really can't handle much.  On Internet Explorer, you can open tabs, which are like little mini-windows in one window.  Sometimes, if I have maybe seven tabs open in a window at once, a message will pop up that says, "Internet Explorer has encountered a problem." Usually, I don't care.  Just that tab will close and then I can open it right back up. But this time, I didn't have any tabs open. In fact, I was finished writing this very review.  Except, I was finished.  I had well over 2000 characters written.  I was just about to press "Publish," when that horrible message popped up, and shut the whole window down.  And there was nothing I could do about it.  No way to retrieve it. I just had to rewrite it. (I don't know if it was a problem with Internet Explorer, but I'm reviewing this laptop as a whole.)

Even when having multiple windows open, the computer freaks out, and may encounter an error.  If I'm lucky, it will just be slow switching between windows.

Also, I do like gaming, and would *love* to venture more into the PC gaming world.  I could probably name ten games that I would like to try.  But, I would *never* try and put a game on this computer.

First of all, the system requirements for most games are way higher than what this laptop can handle.  Also, I would be afraid that if I did try to install something, it would freak out, go into self-destruct mode, and blow up in my face.

If you just want to go on the internet, and maybe just check your e-mail, this may be the computer for you.  If you want to play games, do your homework, and not encounter errors in all programs, I would probably stay away.

The Acer Extensa 5620 is merely meh.

from Riverside, CA

Comments about Acer Extensa Notebook PC:

First off, let me get the obvious out of the way: this laptop is several years old. With that being said, keep in mind that my review is for what it is, and not compared to other laptops on the market right now -- obviously, there are more recently updated models that far outperform the laptop I'm reviewing.

So now with that out of the way, I'd start by saying that this laptop runs pretty fast when you first purchase it--it's snappy right out of the box. Also, it doesn't come with much bloatware--at least the one I bought didn't. But remember that I said when you first purchase it, because it starts running very slowly when you get to more intensive actions, or even more meager things such as editing a photo in Photoshop. In addition, the hard drive in the version that I purchased is rather small, and had to be replaced almost immediately after I transfered all of my media from my old computer onto it.

Some of the pros for this laptop include its 3 gigabytes of RAM, which really do help to keep things speedy. In addition, it's really durable--I've beat the crap out of it, and it's running (almost) as well as anyone could have hoped. Despite numerous drops and a rather cheap, flimsy plastic frame, it has managed to elude death in my clumsy hands.

However, the bottom line is don't buy this now--go for a newer, faster model.

The Acer Extensa is probably the best laptop I've ever used.

from Sullivan, OH

Comments about Acer Extensa Notebook PC:

I bought the Acer Extensa 5620z about two years ago, a display model, no less. And, although I had my doubts, considering the price and fact that so many other people had used the touchpad already, the computer has only given me one main problem, the entire time that I've owned it.

The battery life is only really about 4 hours on power-saver (but then again, that's with Windows Media Player and Firefox running), but if you're looking for battery life alone, you should be looking at a netbook. This laptop can be pushed like a PC, and after two years of a hardcore gamer and net addict using it every waking hour, everything still works- even the touchpad is as responsive as ever, unlike other laptops, which tend to get overused after a few years. Except for higher end games, even the graphics card can handle most of what you send at it.

The only flaw that I've noticed is that the power cord has a very limited lifespan. The heat vents let out pretty much exactly where the power cord naturally lays, so I've had many melt on me, to the point that it's become a running joke among my friends. I would recommend purchasing another one, with a straight input, so that it sticks out from the back of the laptop and isn't exposed to all of the heat. That type has lasted me the longest time, and I will continue to use it, rather than Acer brand ones.

In all, the laptop is a gem in this world of netbooks- it's really like a portable PC, for the people who need that extra power. It won't ever be a replacement for a PC- mainly because of the graphics card- but for people on the move who can't go without their computers, it's a godsend.

Acer Extensa 5620z has performed well since purchase

from Pittsburgh, PA

Comments about Acer Extensa Notebook PC:

the Acer extensa 5620* has performed well since the date of purchase. Im no techie so i needed a fairly user freindly product and this computer has been that.* It multi tasks without slowing to much. I was not overly impressed with the Acer Empowering Technology  but perhaps my impatience never gave it a real chance.