View more laptops

AS5740-5255
Acer Aspire Notebook PC

Acer Aspire Notebook PC

Acer Aspire AS5740 is perfect for me

The Acer Aspire AS5740 is the best computer I have ever owned. I have owned several different brands of computers over the years and didn't know too much about the Acer brand. I was a little familiar with the name but had never purchased before. I am so happy I did. I have had this computer for almost a year and I have not had one bit of trouble with it. It loads promptly every time. It has wonderful graphics and I really like the full sized keyboard with the number pad on the right. I like the big touchpad and the multi-gesture support. There is a button next to the touchpad to turn it off which is very convenient. The Acer has a 2 megapixel web cam which is an added bonus. The keyboard has a matte finish which I found to be different from other laptops. No smudges or fingerprints can be seen. For the price, this is a very affordable computer. It may look drab to some people but I was not into this computer for looks, I was into its performance and I am very pleased with every aspect of the Acer Aspire. Some think it is a little heavy but I don't usually carry it with me so I was not concerned with the weight. It doesn't feel much heavier than my old Toshiba. My next laptop will be an Acer!

I have been so pleased with my Acer. It is very easy to use. I am just as happy with it as the day I got it. The Acer Aspire is a great laptop for anyone. Anyone can use this from a beginner to a pro.

Battery Life
I have been very pleased with how long the battery lasts when I use it away from an electrical outlet. I don't usually use it that way but the few times I have, I have felt the length of time on battery power is exceptional.

Support & Service
I am going to give this an excellent rating although I have never had to use their support and service because I feel like I would be very pleased with the suport and service due to the fact that I have been contacted many times to find out if I am pleased or if I have any problems.

Speed/Performance
My Acer Aspire has been very quick to load from day one and has not let up a bit. I am always pleased when I turn on my Acer and it is ready to go immediately. Uusually after you have had a computer for a while it really slows down when booting up, but not my Acer it is just a fast as the first time I used it.

The Acer Aspire is very simple design. A wonderful matte finish on the Acer leaves no fingerprints and it is easy to keep dust free and clean.

My Acer Aspire will take a licking and keep on ticking. I am sorry to say that it has been dropped on the floor a couple of times (certainly not by me, but someone else who is careless) and it has not a scratch or mark on it. Looks great and brand new still after a few years.

Bang for buck; Gives alot more for alot less.

This is my third laptop over a two and a half year period, and it's the second best. It beats the HP, which at the same price tag offered a smaller HDD, only half the memory, and a dysfunctional keyboard. Not to mention my HP's hard drive crashed after only 3 days. It loses to the Dell I had before the HP though. Not because of inferior performance, in fact it out-performs that Dell in every way; but this Acer has a problem with giving me the Blue Screen of Death as a result of easily overheating. I did a crash dump analysis, and that's what it said in the two I looked at.

It does have it's common drawbacks though. For starters, the battery is very easy to exhaust, especially if you run the internet. The speakers are also below average in terms of sound quality (don't be fooled by the DOLBY stamp). And, this is really obnoxious, any time the power jack comes out while the computer is on, there is a loud beep. It can't be turned off, unless you count muting the speakers. I don't mean turning the volume all the way down, I mean actually click the volume indicator and switching sound off.

Basically that's all I have to say about it; it performs very well, with the exception of some what frequent emergency shutdowns. (I've had it for about 6 months now, and it's blue screened me about 7 times) Given what everyone else says I think I just got a lemon. Plus you get a one year warranty, so if it annoys you then you can get your money back or get it fixed. For it's price, it's a good buy. (I do have a list of grievances against Windows 7 though. If you want to know about that, check out my other reviews)

Acer Aspire AS5740 is perfect for me

• Speed/Performance:

Acer Aspire is the BEST

from Rockmart, GA

Comments about Acer Aspire Notebook PC:

The Acer Aspire AS5740 Notebook PC is absolutely great. I us it daily as my main computer. I love the way everything is laid out easy to find. The screen is wonderful. I have a 15.6" HD LCD Screen and it is just amazing. The graphics are phenomenal. TouchTone Keypad is very useful. At first, I thought I would have to buy a wireless mouse, because most of the laptops you buy the mousepad is no good, but with the Acer Aspire you don't need one. The Acer Aspire Notebook has everything you would ever need in a computer. (e.g. safety, security, useful, quick, memory, lots of space, beautiful, etc. ) I got the Acer Aspire for Christmas, at first I really didn't want an Acer because they have the off-brand "Emachine" and by the way I have one of those, NEVER buy an emachine. Anyway always stick with Acer. They are very loyal computers and won't let you down if you treat it right. The Acer Notebook is not only fantastic for it's performance and agility, but it is a beautiful computer. If anyone is looking to buy a laptop, you know what I say "Pacer to the aisle of Acer"

I love the Acer aspire!

from Alma, GA

Comments about Acer Aspire Notebook PC:

I got this computer for supprisingly cheap compared to most laptops and it turned out to be a awesome investment on my part! i use this computer everyday and i never get tired of it! the graphics are great! it has two processers so it is better than most other laptops and notebooks! the graphics are clear crisp and make the investment of buying it that much better! i personnally have a very cramped computer space so it becomes a hassle to deal with getting on the internet but with this thats not really a problem! it even has a built in wireless card so that when you need to get on the internet away from home it makes it that much eaisier and better! its suprisingly small which can lead to further problems for even people of average height such as myself im constantly leaning over to see the screen which is causing back pain ect. but other than those small problems this small computer is a great one and one that you will use for a very long time!

Bang for buck; Gives alot more for alot less.

from Conifer, CO

Comments about Acer Aspire Notebook PC:

A HAVE TO HAVE PRODUCT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

from Lovely, KY

Comments about Acer Aspire Notebook PC:

ok so i have had this pc for almost a year or so.

and i have to say this pc has been the best i have ever had.

games,email,programs,graphics.

anything and everything you could ever want is on this pc.

plus if your pc crashes you can fully reboot it from factory settings.

if you need a pc, you want this one!

Great computer if you don't need to print anything

Comments about Acer Aspire Notebook PC:

I actually like this computer.  It is fast enough and can handle the small amount of work I do on it.  My husband does a lot of surfing on it, and he seems pleased.  We watch movies on it.  The graphics are good and there is no skipping (We have enjoyed both Netflix and used the DVD player).  We have also played some online games on it, with absolutely no problems there.  We have taken it on vacation with us and had no problem connecting to the internet in hotels, airports, airplanes, or cruise lines. It does a great job, as far as that goes.  BUT, we have 3 printers which, although they are not brand new, are not dinosaurs, and we cannot find drivers for this computer to be able to print with it.  We have to resort to one of our other computers to be able to print.  We do a lot of printing, and this is the only disappointment.  I am looking forward to being able to  use a printer with it (hopefully that won't require a whole new purchase!).

THE BEST COMPUTER EVER (for it's Price)

from Egg Harbor Township, NJ

Comments about Acer Aspire Notebook PC:

This computer has it all. It has a built in wireless card, which lets you use this computer without wires or buying a wireless card separate and having it stick out, and it has 2 processors which makes it fast and able to handle 2 large processes at once. (like a large file download and installation while you are using the internet). It also comes with Windows Vista. Vista is good for graphics, (though if you are going to be doing anything complicated, I would go with a computer with Windows 7 or XP) but the good graphics make it easy to navigate and more fun to look at. It plays games nicely also. Another attribute of this laptop is it's long battery life. It can last up to 2 hours on a full charge. This laptop is supreme. It has a good battery life, a good graphics card, a good 2 practice, and a wireless card. I would recommend this laptop to a friend and I also own one myself so trust me when I say this is a great laptop for the price.

I would buy this laptop again.

from East Dublin, GA

Comments about Acer Aspire Notebook PC:

I have an acer aspire and I found that it has exactly what I need in a laptop. I've used my friends' computer and I noticed the layout of the keys is alway...different. I Don't mind different placement of keys, but this computer feels right. It was a new experience getting a large screen like this one, but I really to like the larger resolutions I can use with it. Also, it's a newer operating system, an upgrade to the windows 98 I had not too long ago. The battery life on this machine has impressed me so far. I've really never had to test it, but it seems to hold out when I lose power and need to fix whatever issue caused it. Or when I need to shut down and move out. One thing I disliked about it, however was the fact that it does get hot. Sometimes I really worry about it, but I've never had any crashes or smelt smoke. It just concerns me, so I bought a cooling pad and the problem was solved. I would continue to buy Acer from my experience with this. It's a great computer for those who just need it for simple things, or those whose lives are computer based.

Acer Aspirre AS5740-5749 IS A QUALITY PRODUCT

from Nashville, TN

Comments about Acer Aspire Notebook PC:

THIS ACER LAPTOP IS THE ONE i USE REGULERLY,I'M USING IT RIGHT NOW. the screen has exceptional picture quality an d is focused. The webcam sends out high quality images with no delay in the transmission of webcasts. The sound card is amazing which sends out quality undistorted sound. This computer is a fast downloading time saving device. The uploads too are extremley fast.  Acer is making a good name for itself in the quality of it's products in the computer world. It is a reliable asset to my daily life and I use it everyday.  I t is extremely easy to use that even a young child can use it. The amount of memory storage space is a plus as well as the ram speed.The computer has a good design to it but I was only able to find it in stores with color black. There should be more available colors on the consumer market. It has a good comfortable weight that makes it easy to carry around where ever you may need to go with the accessory bag not included. It is a quality machine that will easily handle all of your computer needs. On a rating scale of 1-10, I RATE IT A 9.0. It is reasonably priced and I would recommend it to anyone.

The Acer Aspire is a great, afforable, and fast laptop!

from Orlando, FL

Comments about Acer Aspire Notebook PC:

I was skeptical about buying this computer because I was unfamilar with the brand. All my previous computers have been dells. But you couldnt beat the price for what you were getting. You can imagine my surprise when the computer performed equal or in some cases better than the dell. I have been able to load all my software onto this computer, such as adobe photoshop, corel psp, and some other editing software, with a breeze. It was quick and easy. I definitely suggest this computer for the price!