View more laptops

Acer Aspire 5515 Notebook PC

Acer Aspire 5515 Notebook PC

3.8

This is a great computer for a teenager

I bought this Acer Aspire 5515 because my daughter needed a computer to go to online school. I was looking for something that had a wireless card inside so she could do her work on the go if necessary.  I am really impressed with this laptop. I was not familiar with the Acer brand but had heard through the grapevine that it is almost like a sleeper in the computer world.

The Acer provides everything that my daughter needed to upload homework and complete her assignments. The only thing that I really didn't like about it was the short trial periods for the internet security and the word processing software. Other than that it was fully equipped with everything that you may need to be a successful student.

It also enables us both to maintain our emails and keep up with our sites on social networking sites. It is an excellent first laptop for a laptop virgin. Because it was so economical I look forward to buying another with a few more features for some of the bells and whistles I will need as I prepare to start a business that will require me to be online most of the time.  Acer supplies an excellent product at an affordable price which is a good thing to know in today's economy.

acer laptop is ok for its generic name, but not special

i honestly cant complain about the acer laptop i purchased from walmart. it was cheap for a laptop and it runs just like any other that i have had in the past. only difference is you dont have the flashy name or the techinical support of another more expensive brand and the battery seems to wear extremely fast. ten minutes off the charger and its begging for more juice and i have only owned it since christmas. when i first got it the battery would hold a charge for roughly 6 hours but that only lasted for the first month even if i left it on to charge all night.  the built in speaker is a plus as well as the wireless conection finder thingy.  the buttons are also not too big and not so small that my fingers press three at one time.  it convieniently fits into my bag for work.  i really wish that it came with a wireless mouse though because i am constantly scrolling when i dont want to be with the little box they provide to scroll and act like a mouse. hold alot of music and photos. and screen is very clear but breaks easy.

good for basic use

from New Jersey

Comments about Acer Aspire 5515 Notebook PC:

good for a kids basic laptop but I wouldn't expect wonders we had this a year then things started going wrong good for internet surfing or iPod management but I really wouldn't use it for business etc.

simple to use easy to set up great for the younger members of the family

Battery Life
honestly it's poor I don't know if it's just mine but it dies within a few hours of use

it has with stood a few droppings and still works fine, although the keys seem to fall of easy

• Battery Life:
  • Support & Service:
  • Speed/Performance:

The Acer laptop is adequate.

from Pompton Plains, NJ

Comments about Acer Aspire 5515 Notebook PC:

The Acer Aspire 5520 laptop was a gift so I did not choose the options it has. It came with NO instructions and all I have learned has been through friends and/or discovery on my part. The laptop has been a boon for me as I can email, surf the web and stay abreast of the tech nworld a bit. The webcam has been a mystery to figure out. The voice recognition processor has been a challenge but I do like this feature.  The screen size is good and the feature that allows for several screens to be up and available. I do wish I had some way to know what all the function keys did. The mouse pad is easy to use but gets hot. The laptop does need to be kept off the lap as it does get hot and uncomfortable. The fact that storage for photographs and word documents is quite large is enough for my use. For someone who wants to work from the computer this one would not hold much for them.  The sound is fairly good though there are times when I cnnot understand what is being said. As a CD or DVD player the laptop works well.

This is a great computer for a teenager

from Moreno Valley, CA

Comments about Acer Aspire 5515 Notebook PC:

Acer Laptop is great and durable

from Southwest, MI

Comments about Acer Aspire 5515 Notebook PC:

I purchased a new Acer laptop, my first, about three years ago and have been in love with it since. I bought it because I wanted an easy protable computer so I could easily do school work and keep up with my toddler. Over the past three years I have had no problems with the computer. No visits to the Geek Squad or issues with viruses. I use the computer everyday and it actually feels like it is one of my own apendeges because I am always working on it. My only issue is that there isn't enough space on the computer but that was solved with an external harddrive. The computer is very durable, withstanding several trips to the floor from the couch and it isn't showing any signs of problems. I also wish there was an SD card slot. The keyboard is big enough, not all scrunched together like some other smaller models out there and the mouse pad has never had any issues and it isn't showing any signs of being used a lot. This is overall a great quality computer and Acer is number one on my list when I go to purchase a newer, bigger laptop in the future.

Could be better.

from Bomoseen, VT

Comments about Acer Aspire 5515 Notebook PC:

My husband and I purchased an **Acer Aspire 5515 Notebook PC** three years ago. He wanted a basic computer mainly for surfing the internet and viewing photos from his camera. He also does basic photo editing.

Out of the box it was easy to start using. The internet connection was simple to set up. For basic browsing online it worked fine. Then we tried to install Silverlight to be able to watch Netflix movies on it. We got error message after error message. it could have been caused by the edition of Windows that is installed on it, however I have the same version on my personal laptop and our desktop without any issues. We later had the same problem with several other programs, including Adobe Photoshop, one of the main programs he uses.

After 2 years, the screen on the **Acer Aspire 5515 Notebook PC **began flickering and eventually just completely died. It is fairly expensive to replace and really isn't worth it for a basic inexpensive laptop.****

great laptop for a no name

from Croswell, MI

Comments about Acer Aspire 5515 Notebook PC:

I was sitting there browsing computers and after a bit of digging I found this gem and it was a wonderful computer. I really enjoyed it because not only did it serve my needs it served the needs of my family. we all share computers especially when one of us is on the go it was a wonderful product and has tons of memory so that people can write their papers and or do charts because the many wonderful programs installed on this fine piece of machinery. We have even burned dvds and cds on it. it is worth every cent spent on it. I would recommend this to someone. you can use a webcam and vista is actually great dispite what people say. the battery isn't wonderful but it can be replaced. the screens clarity it a wonderful thing especially for the price of the laptop some laptops the cheaper they are the worse they are but this laptop even though its missing a few bells and whistles it's still a great laptop!

its a decent laptop

from Marathon, NY

Comments about Acer Aspire 5515 Notebook PC:

this laptop is a decnt laptop, it works well but it has gotten very sluggish, this model features windows vista which is good, but its cpu should have been allittle faster for the vista, i have found a few problems with it the batter will not hold a charge for more than 10 minutes, even with it only being 6 months old and i had gotten a virus on the computer which took a toll on the computer, but i tried to find software for this specific computer(recovery disc) and there is not one to be found, so dont lose the one that comes with it. but besides these few downfall it is a decent laptop

good for simple use

from Los Angeles, CA

Comments about Acer Aspire 5515 Notebook PC:

Acers have pretty good deals if you aren't planning on doing anything fancy like gaming or video editing. This computer works great for word processing, video and music, and anything you need to do on the internet.

The battery life is a little low however, and be careful of overheating.

One larger problem is the fact that it only has one USB jack on the side, which makes it difficult to plug in more than one device at a time unless you buy a portable USB port. I have an external hard drive that I use for everything and since I have this I can't use a USB mouse like I'm used to, and so I've had to get to use the fingerpad, which I still kind of hate.

The speakers and sound system are a bit weak as well, so I would recommend watching your videos with headphones or earbuds to hear properly. It just doesn't get very loud, and when you put it at the highest setting there tends to be some staticky-whitenoise in the background, like when you talk to someone on speaker phone on your cell.

The Acer Aspire AS5515 is fantastic!!! I absolutely love it!!!

from Clearfield, UT

Comments about Acer Aspire 5515 Notebook PC:

In my experience with the Acer Aspire AS515, I have rarely been disappointed. The computer is perfect for all my needs. The screen works fantastic, and it is so fast with downloading, I can hardly believe it. It holds so much, too!!! I love that it is versatile. It came with all the basic things I needed, but was 'willing' to download all the extra features I want! It is the perfect size for me. I am a college student and to carry around a laptop is a big deal. This one is so easy to carry around. It is light, and smaller, but big enough that everything is easy to see and it is easy to type on the keyboard. Also, the speakers are perfect, as well. I really dislike large speakers, and to have smaller ones that still sound wonderful is a major advantage to this laptop. The only problem I do have with it that the WiFi is kind of hard to find with it sometimes. However, I have found that it is because my WiFi isn't so great, not because my laptop is lacking. This computer is easy to customize as well. The sidebar, with all the cool little gadgets are wonderful (I personally love the slideshow one; seeing pictures I haven't seen in years is wonderful!) and it is so easy to change the colors and background to fit my mood. I love to be able to change how the windows look as well. It is a fast working computer with all the things I could ever want on it! I have downloaded iTunes, something I must have to LIVE and it works fantastically on this laptop. People who tell you that Acers are not good or aren't worth it are lying!!! It is more than worth it, in my opinion.

Excellent laptop for the price!

from Paris, KY

Comments about Acer Aspire 5515 Notebook PC:

I currently own two laptops.  One Dell laptop and one Acer Aspire 5515 laptop.  Between the two laptops, the Acer is the one I use on a daily basis.  I love this laptop.  It is much lighter than the Dell.

Cons:

keys could be bigger

sound could be louder

no web cam

Pros:

lightweight

easy to navigate

cheap price for quality

nice size screen (not too small and not too big)

battery life is average compared to other laptops