Other Lip Cares:
Abreva
Abreva Cold Sore/Fever Blister Treatment

Abreva Cold Sore/Fever Blister Treatment

Excellent relief for extremely sore problem

I am unlucky enough to have a cold sore attack every few months when under stress. I keep a tube of this remedy on standby and apply it at the first sign of trouble, which is flaky raggedness of the surface of my lip where the blisters start to form. If I apply this right then and take a lysine supplement, and reapply every day until the blisters subside in a few days, the pain and swelling is minimized. The best way I can describe the pain I would feel without this remedy is this. My lip swells and develops hard blisters that run deep enough to cause an aching as well as sharp pain that is accentuated by the smallest thing, such as touching my lip with my teeth or with a spoon. If I allow the blisters to break, the soreness resulting will lengthen my healing time and makes my lips feel like they are splitting with the slightest movement. Applying this will shrink the area and prevent rupturing of the spots as they subside. This is a great product if you too have this minor but painful problem.

Tingling relief on contact, and the effect can be maintained with reapplication every 2 hours during the worst first couple days and once a day for the last few. It shrinks the affected area and greatly relieves the pain.

The tiniest dab applied with my fingertip does the job.

Immediacy
The worst sting is relieved right away and long term if I apply for as long as the attack lasts, which is several days.

I like Abreva, but the pump is crap

I'm a bit beliver in Abreva.  It is the ONLY thing that noticably shortens the life span of my coldsores.  (I've had them since age 3 so I've tried a lot.)  It does tend to at first make it bigger and your lip puffier, but I believe it is because it is going through the entire cycle faster rather than making it worse.  As in I believe it would get there anyway, but this just makes it go through it faster. Expensive, but it works.

The pump is crap.  It does make it less messier, I'll give it that, but that's all I'll give it.  You don't nearly get as much out of it as you do the tube.  I don't know if the straw inside of it is too short to get all of it or what, but it lasts about half as long as the tube.

Some other personal tips on cold sore maintanance that work for me:  take alot of L-lysine (don't take too much or you get diarrhea), take prescription strength ibuprofen (it reduces the swelling significantly), use gloves when applying abreva (you don't spread the virus on your fingers that way), apply AS SOON as you start to itch and tingle (not when you can start seeing it), and apply it every time you start feeling it tingle again (which is around an hour to a couple hours).  I've gone from it lasting two weeks with a huge lip that makes my lip closed with imy mouth open, to a "Oh now that you mention it, I can see it" that lasts 3 days.  The first day is the worst though, stick through the routine.

REDUCES SORES BY 70%

from Pompano Beach, FL

Comments about Abreva Cold Sore/Fever Blister Treatment:

These are great for cold sores. And coming from a brand like twin labs you can be sure the products is of the highest quality and will work under normal circumstances. The bottle comes with about 100 tablets which is really good considering I use these about four or five once per week when Cold sores, come on especially when I'm under stress or when the weather changes suddenly. It's actually on sale of right now for about 40% off. So I definitely recommend checking it out while it's still available online. It's also free of a lot of allergens such as corn soy and milk. Its also good to use in combination wilth colloidal zinc as this has been shown to reduce the signs of the sores from the inside out.

Good product

from Brecksville, OH

Comments about Abreva Cold Sore/Fever Blister Treatment:

When you have a cold sore there is nothing worse.  I am always on the lookout for new cold sore products, and I try many of them, but for years, Abreva has been my first choice.  The product itself is great.  I do believe it shortens the life of a cold sore and it definitely makes the pain associated with a cold sore more manageable.  It speeds the healing in a way no other cold sore product has done for me.  When I feel the onset of a cold sore, use of this product I am sure decreases the number of sores that I get.  Now for the bad news.  I am not a fan of the pump.  I thought it would be the greatest invention ever and even though the price was higher than the tube, I thought the cost was going to be well worth it.  How great that your finger would not have to touch the tube and possibly spread more germs.  The pump sprays out more than I would use at a time and with the product being pricey to begin with, that is not something I want.  The worst part of all, after using the pump for a day or two and then not using it again for a while - the pump never worked again.  It was clogged, the blister treatment hardened in the tube - and I never could get it unclogged.  While I love the product, I will not buy the pump again.

It Works!

from Bellflower, CA

Comments about Abreva Cold Sore/Fever Blister Treatment:

What can I say other than it works miracles! Using this product has saved me hours of pain and reduced the reoccurance of cold sores to the point of getting them vary rarely. You can actually feel it working when you put it on and it keeps working for a long time. It is so easy to squeeze out a tiny bit on your finger tip and appy to your mouth, that's all there is to it! It is a little expensive but it goes a long way, it works, makes me feel better and I'm worth it.

I like Abreva, but the pump is crap

from Baltimore, MD

Comments about Abreva Cold Sore/Fever Blister Treatment:

Keep your lips moisturized.

from Newport News, VA

Comments about Abreva Cold Sore/Fever Blister Treatment:

Last year I got a fever blister on my lip.  Not only is this an uncomfortable thing but it is very embarrassing for other people to be speaking to you and staring at this ugly sore on your lip.  I had never had a fever blister before and didn't know much about them but I googled it and Abreva Cold Sore Fever Blister Treatment 2Gms was high on the list for treatment.  I went straight to walgreens and purchased this tiny little tube.  I read the directions and used it as recommended.  The fever blister did go eventually but I'm not that convinced it had anything to do with the Abreva.  It was very expensive for something that didn't take effect within the said few days of use.  I had the fever blister for almost two weeks and I started using this product as soon as I felt the tingling on my lip.  I wouldn't buy this again but saying that the stress and worry about having that ugly sore on my lip I may try it again simply because there are not a lot of over the counter product for fever blisters.

Abreva Cold Sore Treatment

from Fletcher, OH

Comments about Abreva Cold Sore/Fever Blister Treatment:

Abreva Cold Sore Fever Blister Treatment is a great product. The used to use a diifernt product when I would get a fever blister. The other product worked okay, but it burned really bad when I applied it, so I seldom would use it. A fever blister is one of the worst things that you can get. It not only hurts really bad, but they are so ugly. When I get one, i will do anything that i can to shorten the life of it. Abreva Cold Sore Fever Blister Treatment does just that. This little , tiny tube really works wonders. I start using it at the first sign of a fever blister. It makes it feel much better, it makes it look much better and it really seems to shorten the life of the sore. I don't get these fever blisters very often, but I keep the Abreva Cold Sore Fever Blister Treatment handy so that I have it on hand if I do feel one coming on. If you suffer form fever blisters, I highly reccomend this, the small tube lasts a really long time.

Gotta Have it!

from Ocala, FL

Comments about Abreva Cold Sore/Fever Blister Treatment:

I have an auto-immune disorder, and when I have flare-ups, I get really bad cold sores and canker sores. Abreva helps 100%. The minute I feel one coming on, I put a little Abreva on and it goes way almost immediately. I have used all kinds of other medicines and nothing works quite as well. I've even had prescription strength medicine and nothing has worked as well as Abreva. The only thing would be the color of it, kinda  leaves a white chalky substance on your mouth. But, once it is "dry" you can just wipe it off. It's not really something you can use out in public unless you want a lot of questions asked, lol. It is a little expensive, but you can usually find coupons somewhere online for it, and once you use it...you'll quite forget what you paid for it anyways, because it really does work. I have multiple breakouts at one time, and it works for all of them. a GREAT product, you willl be happy to tried it!

Abreva - This Stuff Works

from Dallas, TX

Comments about Abreva Cold Sore/Fever Blister Treatment:

I hate cold sores, I hate even doing a review about this, *but* if it can help someone else like it helped me then it's worth it.

I started to get one of these awful things just before Christmas and went and picked up some Campho Phenique which is what I have always used in the past. I was so hoping this would stop it before Christmas. (If you have had one of these you know how awful it is, especially when you are expecting company).

The campho did *nothing* this time.  Out of desperation I looked online and (after wading through all the wierd and gross recommendations that you will find when you get desperate and look online for medical advice..*eye roll*) I found an article about how Abreva was the only FDA approved remedy.

I went and picked some up (whoa, it is *expensive*) and used it and it started working *immediately*.  I was so thankful.  I highly recommend this product.

I know that if you use it at the first signs of a cold sore it will probably work better, but mine was well under way when I used it and it still worked quickly.

Use Abreva to Rid Yourself of Cold Sores Quickly

from Lake Villa, IL

Comments about Abreva Cold Sore/Fever Blister Treatment:

For those out there unfortunate enough to suffer from cold sores like I do, Abreva Cold Sore and Fever Blister Treatment is the answer. It may cost quite a bit for a tiny little tube, but the tube works wonders and is insanely powerful. Once you start breaking out with a cold sore, put Abreva Cold Sore and Fever Blister Treatment on the affected area and your affected time drops right away. You may not instantly cover it up or get rid of it, but it sure does shorten the time you are stuck with it. Abreva's tiny tube is expensive and easily portable, just be careful where you set it because it is so small that you could easily lose it. I have not found anything better than abreva for getting rid of cold sores, I only wish I knew a product to completely 100% prevent them from occuring in the first place. It may cost you a lot more than competitors, but it works so much better so if you want your cold sore gone, use it!

Good for those of us with mouth-biting habits

from Salt Lake City, UT

Comments about Abreva Cold Sore/Fever Blister Treatment:

Unfortunately I am the kind of person that has the habit of bitting my mouth (usually on the inside) and if I bit my lips at all, then I almost always will end up with a cold sore (therefore I really try to avoid doing that).  Though even when I don't bite my mouth, sometimes cold sores just come of their own accord.

Its one of my least favorite things to happen (not that anyone possibly likes it), but I hate having a weird scab around my mouth and it just gets to be painful in the healing process.  I just want it to be over as soon as possible.  Abreva is the only cold sore treatment that I've used that seems to make any difference.  I'm not going to embellish it and say its a miracle, but I do think that it helps cut down the time of healing.

It is kind of expensive for such a little tube, but really a little goes a long way and its not like you have a cold sore everyday so in time its worth it.  There is no miracle cure for cold sores, but I do feel with great confidence that Abreva helps to cut down the time of a horrible experience.