2.2

2.2

Pros

Cons

• Available Plans:

I always thought travel insurance was hokey, now I'm a believer.

Last year,  my wife and I spent a good portion of the year planning a Christmas Holiday trip to Europe to coincide with the end of my younger son's Semester Abroad. The trip was to celebrate our 25th Anniversary, Christmas and the pending College Graduation of our elder son.  Because we were going to be away for three weeks and we were traveling to several countries and because there were four of us traveling together, we decided that the chance of something going wrong was high enough to warrant Trip Insurance.  Our travel agent sold Travel Guard and so we bought the Silver Policy, Not the best but pretty good.

No sooner than we arrived in Europe, the foul weather began to wreak havoc on our travel plans, Leaving London to go to Amsterdam was impossible for three days, not to mention the wasted trip to and from Gatwick and the entire day wasted at the airport.  The delay cost us three extra nights in London, (very expensive!) an entirely new set of airline tickets to Amsterdam, lost reservations in Tilburg and Amsterdam, and three days lost in Amsterdam and the Netherlands.  Although we got back on track after that, the knots in your stomach never go away and the trip took on an entirely different tone after the delay.  We had other missed connections and minor delays, but nothing that compared to the unplanned three extra days in London.

Upon arriving home I very carefully put together a timeline of our trip as planned and then our trip as experienced. We had saved every single receipt for every train ride, every bus ride, every taxi ride, every meal, etc. for four people.  My letter that accompanied our claim was very thorough and detailed every move we made, and every phone call and every email to Travel Guard and our Travel Agent.  The claim contained copies of evidence of every penny spent during the unplanned delay, I sent in actual receipts as well as copies of charges on credit card bills, ticket stubs, boarding passes, etc.....   But lo and behold, I got a check very promptly from Travel Guard with no questions asked and no requests for further information.

I was both extremely pleased and surprised at how smoothly the claims process went.  Granted, my claim was water tight and contained documentation of every  move we made and penny we spent.

Next time I travel, I'll include Travel Guard in the Budget from the get-go.

AIG IS MISLEADING

Booked trip in January on Northwest from Little Rock to Honolulu and Hawaiian Airlines from Honolulu to Kauai.  When I booked flight on Hawaiian, I also clicked to buy the AIG Travel Guard.  On morning of departure our flight was delayed due to crew not showing up.  Therefore our flight into Honolulu was too late to catch the last flight out to Kauai.  I had to buy 2 tickets for the next morning, thankfully it just cost me additional $20.00 each.  I phoned AIG Travel Guard and told of my situation and was instructed that I would have to file a claim.  I also called back 2 days later to get the particulars on the claim and was given a claim number.  I told cust rep. that we had spent the night in the airport and she said oh, you could have stayed in hotel and it would have been covered along with your meals.  O.k., now it has been 6 weeks since claim.  Got call today saying claim was denied because they don't cover airline delays, I should have read my policy.  I never received policy when I bought on the internet.  Besides once you click on purchase, you have bought the insurance, too late to change your purchase.  They should disclose policy before you buy , in addition, on two occasions the rep on the phone should have told me then I was not covered and I would not have spent the time filing a claim.  Oh by the way, I was just asking for my 20 dollars per ticket and 20 for a meal for two.    Glad we slept in airport and was not out hotel money in Honolulu (as was stated by rep would be reimbursed for)  I   Will never ever buy AIG travel guard again.  Lots of luck if you do.........

AIG Travel Guard.

from Cincinnati, OH

Comments about AIG Travel Guard:

90 days and no claim settlement. After 60 days received request for same information previously supplied. Little to no response on claim

Waste of money

from glendale, CA

Comments about AIG Travel Guard:

We purchased AIG travel insurance for our tip to the EU in 2014. Unfortunate we were in a bus accident and returned home with injuries which have resulted in ongoing health problems. I had a broken left foot, and my wife had substantial back injury that has resulted in disability. We were told we had full coverage, we filed an claim and started treatment. Over a year later we were told that the insurance policy did not cover any medical expenses after the trip. If this was the case, why were we told otherwise initially? Did they expect us to stay in the EU for 6 months? I have filed a complaint with the US Department of Justice.

Terrible

Comments about AIG Travel Guard:

Trying to return from Brazil back to USA, my wife lost her passport in the airport. We were not permitted to fly from Manaus to Miami. We got our bags out and checked into a hotel near the Policia Federal and the next day got a new passport. We were delayed 24 hours, and racked up $1000 in airfare change fees, plus the hotel, taxi and meals. I called travel guard immediately and spent money on an international phone call, for nothing. Basically, I was advised to "try" to submit a claim based on the trip delay. It was denied, but upon reading my policy closer, I did feel I should at least get $100 per day, for the lost passport. I put in another claim for $100, more or less for the laugh of it. I was told I needed to present $100 dollars worth of receipts. The hotel alone was about 100 USD. My receipt, however, was not itemized with the room rate and taxes. I was in a foreign country and that place I stayed was not a touristy destination. I was happy to get the receipt I did ( a small little piece of paper, showing the total, etc, similar to a grocery store receipt). I also had my credit card statement as more proof, when that came in the mail, which I had at the time of making the claim. CLAIM DENIED. Receipt was not itemized. Plus I included some meal receipts, that were not even considered. I couldn't even get $100 back from these people. I guess any penny they pay out, cuts into their profits. I got the impression I was trying to squeeze water from a stone.

When you buy the insurance along with making all of your other travel plans, it is easy to buy it with the click of a button, and getting a false peace of mind.

Trip insurance scam

Comments about AIG Travel Guard:

I purchased trip insurance specifically from travel guard the week I booked my trip because they claim to waive preexisting conditions if the policy is purchased within 10 days of placing a deposit on a trip. Now they are using my preexisting condition to deny coverage in violation of the waiver stated in the policy.
BEWARE

AIG/Travel Guard Insurance

Comments about AIG Travel Guard:

AIG/Travel Guard denied a theft claim due to police report not filed within 24 hours of theft in Chile. They would not even consider why report was not filed within policy requirements (i.e. language problem, tight time schedule due to scheduled tours and leaving country the next day). Tried appeal process.. but claim still denied!!! Avoid them!!!! There are too many other good travel insurance companies out there!

Customer Service
Good communication with customer service, they always responded to emails.

Available Plans
OK, but you probably can't make any claims because they probably will be denied!

Still Confused

from Dallas, TX

Comments about AIG Travel Guard:

We had and still have AIG Travel Guard from the five year time period that we lived and worked in China. Perhaps it's because in our rush to get everything ready to leave the country on a semi-permanent basis, I did not read through all of the literature carefully enough, but I was completely confused about what our AIG Travel Guard policy covered and exactly how it worked.
Several times while living overseas, we had events and instances in which we needed coverage, including things like health and medical issues requiring travel, hotel stay and medical bills as well as items stolen and damaged in natural disasters, including earthquakes and storms.
Every time I tried connecting with our AIG representative, I was unable to reach him and never received any return correspondence. I tried via phone as well as email on numerous occasions.
Once we returned to the States, I got quite a few letters in the mail stating that AIG had changed hands but that my Travel Guard policy was still in effect just under a new name.
To this day, I remain utterly confused on what this policy did or is doing for me. Again, I have tried to reach out to the company and have not been met with success.

Avoid at all costs

Comments about AIG Travel Guard:

The insurance policy is not worth the paper its printed on. I had lost luggage, which Travel Guard 'attempted' to recover for me. I discovered much later from my own enquiries that they had not once contacted the airline in question. After finding out myself that the bag could not be found, I sent all the documentation to Travel Guard. What then proceeded was about three months of obfuscation and stalling tactics, requiring ever more proof, including that I apparently needed the original boarding pass, photo of all items in the bag, proof that I purchased the bag (back in 2006!), proof that I purchased valuable items in the bag, etc. Of course eventually they found something I could not provide and denied my claim on the basis of 'incomplete documentation'.

Customer Service
Terrible, unless you harass them you don't get a reply. Their travel assistance team is a lot more responsive, but its clear their claims team are under strict instructions that no policy ever be paid out.

Available Plans
They have a lovely sounding range and variety of plans, but they are all useless if they don't pay out.

Difficult to deal with

Comments about AIG Travel Guard:

On our first night of our vacation in Mexico, my wife tripped on a protruding piece of sidewalk at the resort and chipped a tooth. The insurance information gave us a collect call number to call. Guess what--they wouldn't accept the call!. It took us an hour to finally talk to an agent. The agent recommended my wife see the resort doctor and file a claim. Travel Guard was not recognized by the hospital in Playa del Carmen, so we had to pay the bills ourselves. When arranging to file a claim, we were told to include medical files for the last two years. A lot of trouble and more expense on our part for what we consider a simple claim. Sounded to us like they were fishing for a reason not to honour our potential claim. We contacted the travel agent at CAA who sold us the policy, and her reply was that she can't help us; she only sells the product! In the end we didn't file a claim with Travel Guard but recouped most of our costs through our provincial and supplemental insurance (Blue Cross) without any hassle. We are now shopping for a new travel agent and travel insurer.

Customer Service
Difficult to contact & they make filing a claim difficult.

• Available Plans:

If you need to make a claim, you will curse the day you chose TG

Comments about AIG Travel Guard:

TravelGuard completely screwed me when I needed them. Their medical team acts all sweet, like they are "here to help" but really are just finding reasons to screw you over. I had heart palpitations for a few days and wanted to clear it with an MD in the city I was vacationing in. My doctor said it was not serious and I would be ok to continue my trip, and my symptoms disappeared. I curse the day I ever called Travel Guard and told them about this. They told me, based on my symptoms I must return home to Canada immediately or my policy would be void and I would have no coverage for the rest of my trip. WHAT? Their so called "Claims Doctor" did NOT have enough information to make a diagnosis, and I had 5 countries, and $10,000 dollars of paid vacation plans left! Ridiculous. I got the constant run around, no straight answer, had to deal with 10 different people who all told me different things. It was a nightmare that has caused me so much stress it has really ruined this part of my vacation.
So to summarize, TravelGuard got to keep my money I paid for the whole duration of my policy and is totally off the hook for covering ANYTHING now. I have to now purchase an additional policy from another provider. All in all, I am out over a $1,000 dollars in JUST policy premiums.

I feel cheated

Comments about AIG Travel Guard:

My European trip was interrupted by a French Air Traffic Controllers strike. 50% of the flights in and out of France were cancelled. This included my EasyJet Flight. I missed the first day of a 6 day tour. Travel Guard refused to pay the claim because the strike did not meet their definition of strike! Beware fellow travelers!

Customer Service
It took hours to assemble the information to file the claim. The company took two months to respond. They then denied the claim based upon a very narrow definition of the word Strike. Now I am committed to filing a complaint with the California Dept. of Consumer affairs. Insurance carriers offer peace of mind. Travel Guard sells a headache!