Other Insurance Companies:

Pros

Cons

• Customer Service:
    • Available Plans:

Over 50? Then why not save money on many things!

You don't have to be retired to start getting benefits on many things. Why pay full price if you don't have to and if your envious of those ***Senior discounts*** then why not get them early?**AARP(American Association of Retired People)**If you are 50 or older you can join ***AARP*** for the mere sum of $12.50 a year with discounts if you do a multi year plan. Plus your spouse(does not have to be 50) can join with you for free! Now why join you ask, well let me tell you some of the discounts you can get from your membership in ***AARP***(American Association of Retired People) Car Rental Discounts: Get from 5-25% off of car rentals from the top companies like Alamo, Avis,Budget, Enterprise, Hertz and National Car Rental.Book Discounts: How about 10% off of your favorite Novels, Cookbooks, Poetry books? Places like Borders,Borders Express or Waldenbooks!Health, Life and Auto/Home : How about insurance policies just for AARP Members with discounts galore through your membership.***Travel Discounts***: Airlines, Hotels and Cruises with such great companies like Carnival, Crystal, Celebrity, Amedeus Waterways, Disney, Holland America, MSC and Norwegian!***Home Improvement***: Home Depot gift cards, ADT Companion Services( a panic button device in case of emergency) for those living alone. ADT Home Security*********Computer and Internet:*** Earthlink and People PCNot only that but you get a lot more from being a member of ***AARP***, each month you get a magazine with loads of articles just for people over 50. Ranging from diet and eating tips to exercises. There is financial advice on saving money, tax tips, mortgages and retirement plans. If you don't want to wait that long their website is very easy to navigate and you can find everything right from the comfort of your home.I joined last year and just the health advice, tax tips and shopping discounts I more than got my $12.50 worth from them. I don't travel much but I am glad if I do I can save money on car rental, hotel and airfare discounts!I even shopped for my ***Medicare Supplemental Insurance*** through their website and with a little research I got a prescription drug plan that costs me $0.00 with a $5 copay on my prescriptions!They even have a good Life Insurance policy that doesn't require a medical exam and you can choose between **Term or Whole Life** options! That way you control how you want your coverage to be, so it is tailored to your specific needs!**Bottom Line**If you rented a car for a 3 day weekend and only got say 10% on it through them you just paid for your yearly membership! Just think if you traveled a lot how much you could save on top of that!!! Have I tweaked your curiosity yet? Are you seeing dollar signs here??Want to check it all out then go to their website at www.aarp.org and look at all you can get for a mere $12.50 a year. Hey the Redneck would not steer you wrong!

AARP does not help older people with their insurance deals

I joined AARp three years ago when I was 50. The first thing I did was to check out the auto insurance as AARP says that they get deals. I have three cars insured with an under 25 driver on the policy. One of my cars got hit (not our fault) and when I called to open a claim, I was told that the car that was hit was not fully covered. I didn't mind because hartford didn't help me and I collected from the other driver's insurance. Just recently I called to have one of my cars towed and found that whoever does things there set up my coverage to only have one of my three cars covered for towing. I asked what the cost was to have had all my cars covered and it was only $16.00 more per year. Who in their right mind would buy insurance for several cars and only put towing on one. I escalated the claim and had some little punk call me back and told me the case is closed period. I have checked around other insurance companies and found hartford is no bargin. I will not be renewing my AARP membership because they are just in it for the money. Don't believe that aarp and their products are cheaper. It is a lie. They probably get kick backs for sponsering these outside companies. Try call Amica insurance. It is cheaper with more coverage and they are the sweetest people to talk to. stay away from aarp and their products. What a shame they to are in it to bleed the elderly.

Nerver I renew

from New York

Comments about AARP:

Aarp is asking for donations and requesting membership renewals every six months. Budget truck rental robbed me. United healthcare went from $7-$43. No discounts, just collecting money for a lie. I drove from Atl, Georgia to New York wirh a faulty truck. They offered $20 on a $274 renral, $82 toll because rain was so bad coming in window around sealant, the budget clerk was filthy looking, and nasty acting.
Never again will I renew my membership. Aarp and other companies are targeting the midfle aged and elderly. None if this is true, they are working together to get business.

readers beware

from largo,Florida

Comments about AARP:

please do not believe everything you read in a AARP magazine.Myself, got burned when i chose the Hartford car insurance advertised by their magazine.Yes ,the price was ok, 79 dollars/month for one car one driver retired woman.It didn't last long .following year went up to 95 dollars without myself having an accident or getting a ticket in several years.I was told that increase was due to the fact that lots of accidents happen in Sarasota which is about 17 miles from Venice where I lived.Not happy about that but we had to move to Largo .What a big surprise when i told them.In one minute ,my insurance went up from 95 dollars a month to 168.This time I was told that increase was due to the new zip code .AARP ,when you advertise for a company ,please make sure haw the Hartford insurance works and iell people to read the Hartford insurance revews on line.I found more then 200 marked with one star, that's a shame for both ,AARP and The Hartford insurence.

BEEN ON HOLD 30:41 STILL NO ANSWER!!!

from Mechanicsburg, PA

Comments about AARP:

Bought the driver safety course - supposed to be an 8 hour course. So many error messages that I've restarted 41 times - started at 7:30 it's now 12:53. I only have 60 days to complete the course. That may not be enough time at this pace. I'm only at 28%. Finally called support - I'm still on hold - it's been 33:45!!!!

AARP Tries to Make You Pay Multiple Times for Same Membershi

from Rural Missouri

Comments about AARP:

The only reason I joined AARP was to get a Consumer Cellular discount. I joined Feb. 26 2016 and by July 2016 got notice after notice saying my AARP membership expires in November. I called an AARP rep and she assured me she would take care of it and talked me into renewing for 3 years. Then in December I started getting notices saying my membership expired Jan 2017. I called AARP and asked if they were trying to cheat me because old people are senile, or was their computer system screwed up. She assured me she would fix the problem but it would take several months before I would get billing notices.

am going to change insurance

from Tunas, Mo.

Comments about AARP:

I've been a customer for 11 years, never had a claim, received my first ticket in 35 years and because I have a ticket they won't insure my boat. We have 2 cars, 1 truck,1 motor home, and we also have them as our Medicare supplement. I know our supplement is different but, it's still aarp. What a bunch of bull Will change insurance companies as soon as I do all of my homework. Very disappointed in the Hartford, we are an upstanding customer. Thanks for NOTHING!! Linda Yates

Not worth it.

from IE

Comments about AARP:

I purchased AARP/Hartford auto and homeowners insurance. BIG mistake. I was struck in the rear panel of my car and contacted Hartford claims (let the misery begin). In two days I had three different claims adjusters. I couldn't keep up. So my car sat at their authorized body shop for two days until I finally sorted things out. The final adjuster Michelle Tarin said she would contact the body shop and authorize repairs. I called three days later and the body shop stated they were still waiting for authorization so I authorized. My car sat for five days because Hartford did not seem to care. The complete process was like this. I had to push the authorization for a rental car. I did all of the work to get this claim settled. I will also point out that I no point was I contacted By Mercury to establish fault. Over five months later the claim was settled. Michelle Tarin asked me to send her any bills for expenses related to the claim and I sent the one I had (rental car). I received the reimbursement check for my deductible but the rental car was not included nor was any mention of it. Had I not been attentive I would have lost it. I contacted Mercury and they tried to stall and avoid paying for such is their way. In the end I threatened them with Department of Insurance and the sent the $96.48. I tried to file a complaint with Harford but no one ever returned my calls. AARP collects member information so they can market you to a variety of companies but does nothing to vet them. If you go to the Consumer Affairs Website you will find Hartford has a rating of 2. The claim number was PA0016492943

• I am an employee or otherwise affiliated with the brand

NEVER!

from Pueblo, Colo.

Comments about AARP:

8 wks. after paymt. for membership, No card, local rep has knowledge only re: medicare/Medicaid, called 1-888 no. for asst. was rudely hung-up on by phone rep, asked about application for credit card, was directed to a web site that didn't exist, and last but not least asked about a plan for "Burial Insurance" was sent a pamphlet for "Life Insur." instead! Must be the old and senile leading the old and senile! A waste of my $$$!

AARP is a joke.

from Orange, NJ

Comments about AARP:

They bombard you with email after email and when you click on the link, the site is hard to look at. too much going on. I am also a member of AARP and the links to sweepstakes are a joke. I was prompted to sign in every time I click on the sweepstakes link. Very difficult to maneuver on their website. There are no major discounts with them. I will not renew my membership.

unfair fee

from Del Rio, TX

Comments about AARP:

when our auto coverage expired with the Hartford, we got comparative quotes from other providers, choosing a competitor to save money on premiums. We are an elderly couple, living on a fixed income,with good driving records, etc.
In April,2015, we changed carriers to insure our 3 vehicles. We have had our homeowner policy with AARP The Hartford for several years, had a small claim for a roof leak last year. The adjuster was rude and paid us a portion of the claim, but this is not my point.
In July we received a bill for a service fee $290.00 added to our homeowner premium for the 2014-2015 policy year, for "unbundling" our auto policy. Still trying to find someone authorized with AARP to waive this fee...it seems unfair to penalize you for changing policy providers. Beware this hidden clause

BIG REGRET now my cell phone is jammed with sales calls

from Haddonfield NJ

Comments about AARP:

I joined AARP about a year ago, now my cell phone is slammed with calls from around the world trying to sell me insurance, life alert and other senior citizen related products. I have tried to talk to the solicitors to get my number removed but they are both rude and immature in their dealings. I regret joining AARP as I feel my privacy and trust has been violated.