2.2

2.2

Pros

Cons

• Available Plans:

Over 50? Then why not save money on many things!

You don't have to be retired to start getting benefits on many things. Why pay full price if you don't have to and if your envious of those ***Senior discounts*** then why not get them early?**AARP(American Association of Retired People)**If you are 50 or older you can join ***AARP*** for the mere sum of $12.50 a year with discounts if you do a multi year plan. Plus your spouse(does not have to be 50) can join with you for free! Now why join you ask, well let me tell you some of the discounts you can get from your membership in ***AARP***(American Association of Retired People) Car Rental Discounts: Get from 5-25% off of car rentals from the top companies like Alamo, Avis,Budget, Enterprise, Hertz and National Car Rental.Book Discounts: How about 10% off of your favorite Novels, Cookbooks, Poetry books? Places like Borders,Borders Express or Waldenbooks!Health, Life and Auto/Home : How about insurance policies just for AARP Members with discounts galore through your membership.***Travel Discounts***: Airlines, Hotels and Cruises with such great companies like Carnival, Crystal, Celebrity, Amedeus Waterways, Disney, Holland America, MSC and Norwegian!***Home Improvement***: Home Depot gift cards, ADT Companion Services( a panic button device in case of emergency) for those living alone. ADT Home Security*********Computer and Internet:*** Earthlink and People PCNot only that but you get a lot more from being a member of ***AARP***, each month you get a magazine with loads of articles just for people over 50. Ranging from diet and eating tips to exercises. There is financial advice on saving money, tax tips, mortgages and retirement plans. If you don't want to wait that long their website is very easy to navigate and you can find everything right from the comfort of your home.I joined last year and just the health advice, tax tips and shopping discounts I more than got my $12.50 worth from them. I don't travel much but I am glad if I do I can save money on car rental, hotel and airfare discounts!I even shopped for my ***Medicare Supplemental Insurance*** through their website and with a little research I got a prescription drug plan that costs me $0.00 with a $5 copay on my prescriptions!They even have a good Life Insurance policy that doesn't require a medical exam and you can choose between **Term or Whole Life** options! That way you control how you want your coverage to be, so it is tailored to your specific needs!**Bottom Line**If you rented a car for a 3 day weekend and only got say 10% on it through them you just paid for your yearly membership! Just think if you traveled a lot how much you could save on top of that!!! Have I tweaked your curiosity yet? Are you seeing dollar signs here??Want to check it all out then go to their website at www.aarp.org and look at all you can get for a mere $12.50 a year. Hey the Redneck would not steer you wrong!

AARP does not help older people with their insurance deals

I joined AARp three years ago when I was 50. The first thing I did was to check out the auto insurance as AARP says that they get deals. I have three cars insured with an under 25 driver on the policy. One of my cars got hit (not our fault) and when I called to open a claim, I was told that the car that was hit was not fully covered. I didn't mind because hartford didn't help me and I collected from the other driver's insurance. Just recently I called to have one of my cars towed and found that whoever does things there set up my coverage to only have one of my three cars covered for towing. I asked what the cost was to have had all my cars covered and it was only $16.00 more per year. Who in their right mind would buy insurance for several cars and only put towing on one. I escalated the claim and had some little punk call me back and told me the case is closed period. I have checked around other insurance companies and found hartford is no bargin. I will not be renewing my AARP membership because they are just in it for the money. Don't believe that aarp and their products are cheaper. It is a lie. They probably get kick backs for sponsering these outside companies. Try call Amica insurance. It is cheaper with more coverage and they are the sweetest people to talk to. stay away from aarp and their products. What a shame they to are in it to bleed the elderly.

am going to change insurance

from Tunas, Mo.

Comments about AARP:

I've been a customer for 11 years, never had a claim, received my first ticket in 35 years and because I have a ticket they won't insure my boat. We have 2 cars, 1 truck,1 motor home, and we also have them as our Medicare supplement. I know our supplement is different but, it's still aarp. What a bunch of bull Will change insurance companies as soon as I do all of my homework. Very disappointed in the Hartford, we are an upstanding customer. Thanks for NOTHING!! Linda Yates

Not worth it.

from IE

Comments about AARP:

I purchased AARP/Hartford auto and homeowners insurance. BIG mistake. I was struck in the rear panel of my car and contacted Hartford claims (let the misery begin). In two days I had three different claims adjusters. I couldn't keep up. So my car sat at their authorized body shop for two days until I finally sorted things out. The final adjuster Michelle Tarin said she would contact the body shop and authorize repairs. I called three days later and the body shop stated they were still waiting for authorization so I authorized. My car sat for five days because Hartford did not seem to care. The complete process was like this. I had to push the authorization for a rental car. I did all of the work to get this claim settled. I will also point out that I no point was I contacted By Mercury to establish fault. Over five months later the claim was settled. Michelle Tarin asked me to send her any bills for expenses related to the claim and I sent the one I had (rental car). I received the reimbursement check for my deductible but the rental car was not included nor was any mention of it. Had I not been attentive I would have lost it. I contacted Mercury and they tried to stall and avoid paying for such is their way. In the end I threatened them with Department of Insurance and the sent the $96.48. I tried to file a complaint with Harford but no one ever returned my calls. AARP collects member information so they can market you to a variety of companies but does nothing to vet them. If you go to the Consumer Affairs Website you will find Hartford has a rating of 2. The claim number was PA0016492943

• I am an employee or otherwise affiliated with the brand

NEVER!

from Pueblo, Colo.

Comments about AARP:

8 wks. after paymt. for membership, No card, local rep has knowledge only re: medicare/Medicaid, called 1-888 no. for asst. was rudely hung-up on by phone rep, asked about application for credit card, was directed to a web site that didn't exist, and last but not least asked about a plan for "Burial Insurance" was sent a pamphlet for "Life Insur." instead! Must be the old and senile leading the old and senile! A waste of my $$$!

AARP is a joke.

from Orange, NJ

Comments about AARP:

They bombard you with email after email and when you click on the link, the site is hard to look at. too much going on. I am also a member of AARP and the links to sweepstakes are a joke. I was prompted to sign in every time I click on the sweepstakes link. Very difficult to maneuver on their website. There are no major discounts with them. I will not renew my membership.

unfair fee

from Del Rio, TX

Comments about AARP:

when our auto coverage expired with the Hartford, we got comparative quotes from other providers, choosing a competitor to save money on premiums. We are an elderly couple, living on a fixed income,with good driving records, etc.
In April,2015, we changed carriers to insure our 3 vehicles. We have had our homeowner policy with AARP The Hartford for several years, had a small claim for a roof leak last year. The adjuster was rude and paid us a portion of the claim, but this is not my point.
In July we received a bill for a service fee $290.00 added to our homeowner premium for the 2014-2015 policy year, for "unbundling" our auto policy. Still trying to find someone authorized with AARP to waive this fee...it seems unfair to penalize you for changing policy providers. Beware this hidden clause

BIG REGRET now my cell phone is jammed with sales calls

from Haddonfield NJ

Comments about AARP:

I joined AARP about a year ago, now my cell phone is slammed with calls from around the world trying to sell me insurance, life alert and other senior citizen related products. I have tried to talk to the solicitors to get my number removed but they are both rude and immature in their dealings. I regret joining AARP as I feel my privacy and trust has been violated.

AARP Roadside Assistance is Terrible

Comments about AARP:

Our car wouldn't start. Roadside Assistance outsources its phone calls to India. The representative and I had great difficulty understanding each other. Words like "Prius" were completely incomprehensible to him. I asked if they could send a gallon of gas and a truck to jump our battery. I was told I had to choose one: gas OR a jump. These were two different services. I said I didn't know why the car wouldn't start. The rep insisted that only one type of help would be sent (because, God knows, a repair truck could NEVER carry a can of gas too!) Finally I chose gas. More confusion ensued. Finally I got a text message telling me that the soonest they could get a truck to me was almost two hours later. Fortunately I broke down around noon, in a small city. I called the garage and told them to forget it. I'd figure it out myself (as it turns out, it wasn't gas OR battery, so AARP wouldn't have helped me unless I could diagnosis my vehicle myself). I had AAA for years and never experienced problems like this. I quit AARP Roadside Assistance as soon as I got home.

Customer Service
Calls are outsourced to India and representatives are hard to understand. Processing calls take a long time.

Available Plans
AARP claims that it covers a variety of problems. But when something happens, they expect you to pick only one. You can't ask for gas AND a jump.

AARP*

from Saint Petersburg Fl

Comments about AARP:

We used AARP homeowners and auto insurance for a number of years. After getting quotes from numerous compaies, AARP gave us the most coverage at the best price. When it came time to renew the policy recently, AARP has raised the premium to a point we felt we could get a better deal which is what happened. I'm not sure what happened but the company seemes to have changed a lot over the last few years.

Customer Service
When we originally went with them, customer service was very good. A few years ago we had a very hard time getting a customer service agent that was really interested in our problem. We kept getting a lot of talk and promises but nothing actually happened. Besides the premium increase and the lack of customer service as well as not getting our questions answered, we left AARP and went with another insurance company that was much lower than what we had been paying. I'm not sure what happened but AARP went down pretty quick.

Available Plans
They have a lot of plans but in my experience they are not the discount insurance company they were ten years ago. I am disappointed that I had to cancel our policy. It was nice having everything bundled together.

Great Company

Comments about AARP:

I love AARP. This is a great company with a proven track record with advocating for seniors. It is my go to company for discounts, travel, insurance, and may other things.

Customer Service
Whenever I've called. I have always talked live to a customer service rep, and received prompt and knowledgeable service.

Available Plans
AARP has a lot of different plans that they are involved with. They have life insurance plans with New York Life. I signed up for this life insurance. It has so far gave me some peace of mind. They also have Medicare Supplement plans. This is great for people who have reached the age where they rely on medicare. As you may know medicare does not pay for all your coverage, so you need to have a little something extra to help with this expense. It is provided by United Healthcare Insurance Company. They also have auto&home insurance through The Hartford. I have the home insurance. It is needed to help in case something happens with my home. They have other plans that can benefit seniors. Like estate planning services. I am very happy that I am a member of AARP.

Not up to par

from Tampa Florida

Comments about AARP:

AARP endorsed Unitedheathcare Secure Horizons Medicare plan and advertised it heavily. It was rated one of the worst plans in customer service and payment. Many relied on this Medicare plan because of the AARP endorsement only to have a year of terrible coverage. AARP does not also compete with their auto thru Hartford or Homeoweners.

Customer Service
Any AARP field offices that I've been in has tired, overworked employees. They are generally nice but aren't effective because they must adhere to an "old school" methodology with outmoded equipment. Their call center reps have very little info and I've called repeatedly one 3 different insurances only to get the same canned response, call back the field office mon- fri 8-5

Available Plans
They offer many different plans, none of which I've found are or stay competitive especially if you are under 65. Yet because I drive 100 miles per day, I signed up again, only to find out they won't send a tow truck if needed to my route because its "too rural"
Who needs maps and trip tics anymore?