3.4

Cons

Upstanding Company values

from chicago Illinois

Comments about AARP Auto and Home Insurance Program from The Hartford:

I have only used them for about 3 years now, mainly as a supplemental insurance. They are an excellent company that offers almost every type of insurance you can imagine and they will tailor a specific policy to fit your personal needs. I love the company and I value what they stand for immensely.

Customer Service
Customer service department is very helpful and willing to go to any lengths to assist you in whatever issues you may have when contacting them. I appreciate that they contact you periodically to explore other money saving options for you. I also appreciate that they do not treat you like an 'old' person, they treat you the same way each and every time you have contact with you.

Available Plans
They have rate plans that are suitable to every budge type. They are also workable in that they explore other options that are more beneficial to you and are geared towards saving you money.

Raises Rates Relentlessly

Comments about AARP Auto and Home Insurance Program from The Hartford:

My mom bought a homeowner's policy with them around 10 years ago. $1000 deductible, no claims. It started out around $275/yr. Was $476 last year. Mom died and they're now asking over $800. They had already nearly doubled premiums in less than 10 years. She originally switched to them because Nationwide was doing the same thing. You just have to switch every few years to prevent that, apparently. I can't say anything about customer service, because we never made a claim. When she asked the previous company about rate increases they used the old replacement costs are going up, up, up! Well, if that's the case, why can one always switch and cut their premiums in half? This will make the 3rd time since buying the house.

Didn't call.

Available Plans
Wanted higher deductible, but $1000 was all they offered.

Discounts Not There

Comments about AARP Auto and Home Insurance Program from The Hartford:

Lowest quote on line, however the discounts were not there. I am 63, no accidents, drove many types of vehicles, no arrests. Wanted insurance for my 1994 F-350 pickup, the least amount we could have and be legal. Went on line got quote's from Geico, Progressive, Allstate, and AARP Hartford. Hartford was the lowest price coming in at $1040.00 for one year. Became an AARP member, applied for the Insurance and received the policy in good time. Paid $500.00 down this covered us for one month then dunned us for the remaining amount. On SSI we paid $100 whenever the check came in. Except our payment date and check date were not compatible. Lost the policy. Went to State Farm locally, got insured for $481.00 for six months. AARP gets there cut, even though you are a senior there is no program which helps in the event of paycheck versus payment due. I think AARP is a rip off!

Customer Service
When I contacted the customer service with the information, I was told: Sorry you are not happy with our service. Of course they had my $700.00!!!

AARP The Hartford Insurance

from Phoenix, AZ

Comments about AARP Auto and Home Insurance Program from The Hartford:

Overall, I think The Hartford is doing a good job in regard to my auto insurance policy. I have minimum coverage for the state I live in, because frankly, I cannot afford paying higher rates for insurance for my automobile.

Customer Service
Customer service is good. I had a minor accident about a year ago. There was some misunderstanding regarding the claim and I understood the customer service agent to be telling me that I would be contacted by a claim adjuster. I was not contacted and waited about 3 weeks before I finally called back to find out about the claim adjuster coming to see the vehicle. It finally happened, but again, the customer service agent at The Hartford did not make it clear to me as to when the adjuster would be meeting with me.

Available Plans
My plan is sufficient. However, because of declining lower deductibles and taking the higher deductibles to save costs on insurance, I paid a high deductible for the minor accident. The Hartford paid the rest which was minimal above and beyond my deductible. Now my insurance is going up in 2014 by $20 more per month because of that fender bender. I am a bit upset because I paid the high deductible to fix the automobile, which was the majority of the cost to fix it by far, versus what The Hartford paid (about 25%). So I feel I am being punished in a matter of speaking for having paid the high deductible and then having my rates raised. I had no other claim with The Hartford.

It's the Truth!

from Granite City, IL

Comments about AARP Auto and Home Insurance Program from The Hartford:

My husband and I have been using automobile insurance the Hartford through AARP for six years now. We started using the home insurance program two years ago. They save us money. We had three comp claims on our automobile in one year. Service and payment was prompt. We had a big hail storm in our area two years ago. Lots of damages to both of our cars. The Hartford sent extra reps out to help with the adjustments. We received our payment within two weeks.

Customer Service
The customer service at this company is very good. The reps take their time to explain the plans and help with claims.

• Available Plans:

AARP Homeowners Insurance Program will work with owners.

from New Port Richey, FL

Comments about AARP Auto and Home Insurance Program from The Hartford:

We have had our homeowners policy with The Hartford, through the AARP Home Insurance program for 11 years now. We feel that we are lucky to be with them as many companies are pulling out of Florida.

Yes our premiums go up every year, but so does our coverage. We have the option to pay in full, which we do, or to make payments. There is an added service fee if you go with the 2, 3, 6, or 12 payment plans.

We are lucky enough under our policy to have a lifetime continuation agreement, where they can't drop us. We also have sinkhole coverage, as there are so many in the area. Our deductible is $500, apart from hurricane where we have to pay the 2%

With so many of our friends being dropped by major companies, and having to use Citizen's, we feel that we made the right decision.

We can call the toll free numbers 24/7 for customer service, or a claim. The representatives are polite, and helpful.

If you are old enough to belong to the AARP program, then I would recommend checking out their homeowner's policy.

Customer Service
They have always been polite and helpful.

Available Plans
2, 3, 6, or 12 payments are available.

Shafted

Comments about AARP Auto and Home Insurance Program from The Hartford:

After you've been with them a few years with no accidents and no tickets, they will start shafting you with high premium increases. You will have to pays hundreds more than new customers. That is the thanks you get from AARP Hartford.