1.9
A.O. Smith ProMax Water Heater

A.O. Smith ProMax Water Heater

1.9

I wish I had read these reviews before installing a Promax

We purchased the A O Smith Promax on the advice of our plummer (6 months ago). Now I'm nervous about the purchase. Prior to installing, the Rheem lasted for some 14 years without any problem whatsoever. Outside of taking a whole day to install it, the unit works well and provides plenty of hot water. One drawback, and I asked the plummer about this potential issue as I had read it in a review, prior to installing and he assured me he had never heard of such a thing. Sure enough, once installed, when we turn on the hot water faucet, in any bathroom or in the kitchen, within a few minutes, the unit lets out this sound that reminds me of a fog horn on a tug boat and it lasts about 7 seconds. Not a big deal, but it's exactly what I had read in a review that I passed onto the plummer who installs these things "all the time" and he never heard of this problem? Seems weird to me. Other than that, the unit is fine so far. I'll write back in a couple of years.

Problem with AO Smith ProMax - Pilot goes out has to be relit

We remodeled our bathroom and installed an AO Smith ProMax GCV 40100 hot water heater. After 3 months the pilot light started to go go out and needed to be relit. Had the plumber look at the problem he could find nothing wrong. Continued to have the problem for the next 3 months. Changed out the thermostat ect continued to have problem.

Long story short turns out the problem is the air inlet on the bottom of the water heater plugs with lint about every 2 months causing the a lack of oxygen putting out the flame. If you clean the air inlet with a vacuum cleaner every 2 months the water heater works fine but it is a real pain. This has worked for the last 24 months.

Did not know about this site or I would have posted this sooner.

I bought three water heaters. All went bad in six months

from Columbia MO

About Me Professional

Pros

Cons

• junk
    • Wears Out Quickly

Comments about A.O. Smith ProMax Water Heater:

Will never buy another one. The company is also very difficult to get warranty money for repairs.

NEVER PURCHASE

About Me Beginner

Pros

• Absolutely none

Cons

• Cheap Materials
      • Wears Out Quickly

• None

Comments about A.O. Smith ProMax Water Heater:

Had to write this review to hopefully save another homeowner from our experience.

Had AO Smith 50 gal installed 8/10. 9/11/12 it ruptured flooding our basement. Plumber who installed it warrantied the heater but not the labor or clean up. It was replaced with another AO Smith 50 gal heater.

3/15/15 heater failed again spewing rust orange water after approximately 25 gal of flow.

Replacing with a Rheem.

Don't buy this piece of junk!

Comments about A.O. Smith ProMax Water Heater:

Also on the advice of my plumber, I had this junk installed about six years ago. It worked fairly well but never got water terribly hot. I had to fill the bathtub halfway, wait until water got hot again then finish filling to get it hot enough. Then about two years ago the pilot light kept going out. I had the water heater serviced and then the pilot light assembly replaced and continued to have intermittent problems. Starting About a week ago pilot light goes off continually and worse the burner won't stay on long enough to heat a full 50 gallons. What a piece of crap.

I wish I had read these reviews before installing a Promax

50 gallon gas model failed within 4 years warranty useless

from Minneapolis, MN

Comments about A.O. Smith ProMax Water Heater:

I purchased the 50 gallon gas model because A.O. Smith used to be one of the finest available. I suspect that someone cut corners to increase profit and is now producing a poor quality product. I purchased a G.E. 50 gallon model that performs very well at far less cost.

Summarize this product in one sentence.

Comments about A.O. Smith ProMax Water Heater:

Our A. O. Smith Pro Max Plus was installed two years ago by our plumber. Apparently, the plumber has to remain on sentry duty to ensure the pilot light stays on. When he gets tired, you'll have to call an A. O. Smith "authorized dealer" to come out and "clean the filter."

Clean the filter? What filter? Where is it? With what kind of brush?

How about the A. O. Smith website? Sorry, the pictograms are right from 1947, and the whole cleaning instructional page had no helpful information whatsoever.

How about the A. O. Smith customer service line? Ooops. They'll tell you more about this "clean the filter" thing, only they'll rub a little salt in the wound by advising that it's not a warranty-related repair.

These things are pieces of junk. So poorly designed that the filter gets clogged, knocking out the pilot? With cleaning the thing amounting to major surgery in a neuro ward?

A POORLY DESIGNED PIECE OF JUNK - DON'T BUY!

Lousy Product, even worse customer service

Comments about A.O. Smith ProMax Water Heater:

Pure junk!!! After less than 4 years of mediocre service my A.O Smith 50 gallon dud flooded my basement. OK maybe it was a lemon, maybe it just happens sometimes but then their distributor refuses to honor the warranty. The reason- It was a different installer. After calling around with my plumber standing there with the clock running I discover that only 2 supply houses in the Philadelphia area even stock this junk. Philadelphia is a big place with a lot of water heaters, kind of tells you something doesn't it! Calls to customer service proved useless, they have no problem with their distributors ignoring their warranty after all it is their right to refuse service?!?. Basically their product is sub standard and their customer service and attitude is much worse. Buyer Beware this is junk. STAY AWAY FAR AWAY!!!

Unfortunately it starting leaking 6 mo after warranty expired

Comments about A.O. Smith ProMax Water Heater:

Most of the complaints here is about the pilot light going out. Here is the reason. Its all about the ANSI flammable vapor ignition resistant (FVIR) standard. This standard is to prevent explosive gas from entering the heating chamber. There is a ceramic disc at the bottom of the heater. If this ceramic ever gets wet, it will not allow ANY gas in, including oxygen, so, the pilot light goes out. When installing the heater, IMHO, put it up on cinder blocks or something to prevent moisture from saturating the ceramic. If you put it right on the concrete floor it will be hard for air to get through the ceramic. I found all this out the hard way when my basement flooded and after cleaning up, I couldn't get the pilot light to work. I called AO Smith and they said there was no way to fix it and I would have to buy a new heater. I solved the problem with my wife's hair drier blowing on the ceramic all day to dry it out. (With the gas and water supply off obviously). This said, later the hot water heater starting leaking after 6 years and 6 months of use. The warranty is for six years. Sucks to be me.

Pilot continually goes out!

Comments about A.O. Smith ProMax Water Heater:

Pilot won't stay lit. There's a flaw in the design that causes the intake to clog a few times a year. It's a real pain to clean and is hard to access. We're in the process of buying another house and need another water heater. It will definitely not be A.O. Smith!

Lousy! - shuts off when attic >120 degrees!! AVOID!!

Comments about A.O. Smith ProMax Water Heater:

These water heaters shut off when attic temperatures exceed 120 degrees (which happens to be every summer in Texas)! Consequently, they require DAILY re-lighting during these times. AVOID THEM LIKE THE PLAGUE!