Other Diaper Rash Creams:

A+D Original Ointment

Pros

Cons

Great For Rashes

I have used many products for skin rashes and diaper rashes. This A&D ointment worked the best out of all of them. I have multiple children and have used this ointment on them. They never had a bad diaper rash with this ointment. This ointment is not just for children or babies bottoms eithor. I have used this ointment on myself for rashes. It cleared them right up with no problem. I have a hot job and in the summer i work in 100+ degree weather and temperatures so i sweat a lot. When i sweat my legs will get chafed and gaulted from it. Sometimes my bottom cheaks will break out also. I  just put this ointment on every day and it clears up and keeps me from breaking out. This ointment is also a preventative ointment and can be used to prevent rashes and break outs or dry skin. It is oily but that's good because when i put it on to prevent rashes and break outs, it works because of the oil. The oil repels the wetness from my sweat. Therefore, It's great for babies bottoms too because of the wet diaper rashes.

A&D Ointment doesn't cut it

At my baby shower, I received around 4 different types of diaper rash creams and ointments. I've tried them all, and I have to say that A&D Original Ointment is by...Read complete review

At my baby shower, I received around 4 different types of diaper rash creams and ointments. I've tried them all, and I have to say that A&D Original Ointment is by far my least favorite.

Unlike the other brands I received (Desitin, Butt Paste, and Kiehl's), which are all rich white creams, A&D is a clear ointment, similar in texture to petroleum jelly. The other brands all contain varying amounts of zinc as an active ingredient, while A&D Ointment contains no zinc. I think the absence of zinc is the major issue because I found that A&D did absolutely nothing for existing diaper rashes, while the other brands all cleared the rashes right up. When I put A&D on skin that was red or chafed, it did nothing to decrease the redness, unlike the other creams. I did find that A&D seemed to work more as a protectant. When I put it on skin that had no rash, the skin remained rash-free. So it might be good as a preventative measure, but if you need to clear up a rash, look somewhere else.

The other problem I had with the product was the smell - yuck! It had a strong fishy odor. I guess that comes from the cod liver oil, which is added to the ointment to provide vitamins A and D. However, the smell was way too gross, and I won't be using this again.

A pretty good ointment!

from Puyallup, WA

Comments about A+D Original Ointment:

A & D Original Ointment was a pretty good ointment. I ended up getting this to try one day because of the price. It was a good size tube for the money. It's a good bargain. I had heard about it, so I thought I would give it a shot. I will say that it worked pretty well. It would be a good ointment to have on hand in a diaper bag or at home. It's good for diaper rashes or dry skin. It helps with chaffing also. It has a soothing and relief effect when put on. It's good for sensitive skin and absorbs pretty well. It helps with cracked skin as well. I have found other products out there that I like better, but this one was a good ointment as well. I would recommend giving the A & D original ointment a try. You will probably be glad that you did!

This ointment works well and takes care of rashes, dry and cracked skin. It absorbs well and soothes.

Works better as a dry skin lotion than for diaper rash

Comments about A+D Original Ointment:

I tried using A&D for the first time when my local baby store ran out of Desitin. Unfortunately, this ointment did work nearly as well as Desitin (either the paste or the rapid relief). My baby girl had a mild diaper rash and I slathered on the A&D for a day. The next day the rash was still there despite multiple diaper changes and reapplication of the lotion. I switched back to Desitin and her rash was gone within a few hours.

However I have used A&D for dry skin for both the children as well as for ourselves and it works great for that condition.

The ointment itself is fairly thick - less thick than Vasoline but same appearance. It is very easy to apply as it smears on smoothly and is not clumpy or gooey. But that may be part of its problem since it does not heal diaper rashes well. The lotion seems to be too thin to protect our baby's bottom from the wetness of her diapers unfortunately.

A & D An Old Diaper Rash Remedy

from Eagle River, AK

Comments about A+D Original Ointment:

For 30 years I was a licensed childcare provider, and I have changed hundreds of diapers in my life time. It was always my policy that parents had to provide diapers, wipes and diaper cream, so I've had extensive experience with just about every diaper and diaper cream on the market.

A&D Diaper Rash Ointment and Skin Protectant has been around for years, but it was never one of my favorites. The ingredients include petrolatum, lanolin, cod liver oil, vitamins A & D, fragrance, light mineral oil , microcrystalline wax , and beeswax.

Although this does have some ingredients that are healing to the skin, I never found it particularly helpful for diaper rash unless I used it constantly. Desitin, on the other hand, actually sticks to the skin so a baby's bottom is protected from future moisture.

A&D never stuck to the skin and came off on the diaper, much like Vaseline would. I know some parents who still use A&D, but I never found it effective in soothing a baby who already has a diaper rash. I suppose it might help prevent one, but it never healed one for me.

This came off on the diaper, rendering it pretty useless, like using Vaseline.

A&D protects our baby's bum bum the BEST!

from South Weber, UT

Comments about A+D Original Ointment:

WE LOVE A&D!! It is the very best for our babies bums. We have used it on both of our babies. We have used it exclusively on our second child and she has never had a diaper rash to date (she is 7 months at the time I am writing this). Our children have very sensitive skin and eczema and A&D does NOT aggravate these conditions. It actually soothes these conditions. It doesn't have a weird smell. I have even used it on my own lips and hands and it prevents dryness and chapping there. We have tried Butt Paste (All Natural and Original), Desitin and others but A&D is where we have stopped. We only purchase A&D now.

A& D is a staple in our baby supplies

from Owatonna, MN

Comments about A+D Original Ointment:

I have 4 kids and I have used A & D ointment with all of them. I should own stock in the company. My kids also have really sensitive skin. When a rash starts to present itself I also use A&D. When I use the ointment I usually notice that right away the redness associated with the rash tends to lessen. I also like the fact that the A&D ointment does a great job of protecting the baby's skin.

Original A&D is our #1 choice.

from Heath Springs, SC

Comments about A+D Original Ointment:

Our kids have sensitive skin and the white ziaper creams with zinc in them actually seem to burn/sting their little bottoms... the Original A&D has been our first choice and with expecting our 4th, will continue to be! It glides on easily, but is thick enough for good coverage. Other creams are too thick and difficult to apply.

A + D Ointment helped my babies eczema

from Oak Ridge, TN

Comments about A+D Original Ointment:

My baby uses cloth diapers during the day and disposable diapers at night time. With cloth diapers, the moisture stays on his skin from pee and sweat and this has caused irritation's and ezcema. The doctor and a friend of 4 kids recommended I try A + D Ointment. I was able to find a coupon easily and bought a tube a while ago. I use it nightly on my babies diaper rash and eczema and by morning it is mostly gone. My favorite aspect about the ointment is that it does not smell strong. The scent is very suddle and it is not white and pasty. It is clear. One tube has lasted me a few months. I have tried 3 other big name brand ointments and this is by far my favorite. It is a little tough to squezze from the tube when cold but doable.

Classic that works!

from Pittsburgh, PA

Comments about A+D Original Ointment:

When I registered for my baby, somehow A+D Original Oinment was not on there. Someone gave me another brand so I kept it and used it when my daughter was an infant. What a mess. I felt like every time I used it she needed a bath afterwards. I had to go buy A+D ointment right away! I was so glad I did because it went on, stayed on, and cleared up her diaper rash in one to two treatments. Any time one of my kids has had diaper rash or some sort of chafing issue, A+D original ointment usually clears it up within one or two treatments. It is not messy or runny. It is thick and clear so it really sticks on and stays on, instead of wiping off on your baby's diaper. It does have a stronger odor, but once you close up that diaper, it is fine. I do not think it is an awful smell, just medicinal. Neither one of my kids has ever had a bad reaction to it, so I considered that a bonus as well. I always buy this when I buy baby shower gifts now.

A + D ointment is a must have for all new parents.

from Faulkton, SD

Comments about A+D Original Ointment:

Our daughter was born with the same sensitive skin problems her mother has. When we were in the hospital we used the vaseline they provided us. When we came home we also tried desitin and butt paste. Our little one broke out in a rash with anything other than the vaseline. Both my husband and I did not think that just vaseline was enough to protect her sensitive skin. We have several friends and family members that also had used A + D ointment and were successful with it. We started using it on our daughter at about one month of age and have continued to use it. Since we breastfeed, she had more bowel movements and we have only had two small bouts of diaper rash. My husband and I believe that this is due to the A + D ointment and the fact that we use it after every bowel movement and first thing every morning. The A + D ointment does not smell pretty like some of the other ointments, but the benefits outweigh the medicine smell. We also like that you can purchase smaller squeeze tubes for the diaper bag and a bigger tub to keep at home.

A+D Ointment

from Chatsworth, GA

Comments about A+D Original Ointment:

This product is good for diaper rashs and sun burns and also for tattoo healing. I would recommend this if your child has a horrible diaper rash. Or if anyone has a sun burn. As well as a fresh tattoo. I would strongly recommend this for any one and any age. It works well for any type of rash, not just diaper rash! When my sons bottom starts to get red from diaper rash, this clears it up over night. When I had a new tattoo, it helped it from peeling. It stops (for a little while) the pain from a sun burn. So I would recommend this for anything basically.. I have also used this on my skin problem , and it helps it as well. It can be used for pretty much for any skin problem, any type of skin rash, any thing really. So I would say this is a MUST to have around the house, even if you don't have a baby. Young, Old, Middle Aged, any age this works wonders for!! So yes, get this for your house. It isn't that cheap, BUT it works wonders.,