3.5

3.5

Pros

Cons

• Flavor Selection:

My cats won't eat anything but 9 Lives!

I have several cats and all of them love 9 lives. I have tried to give them the so called "Better Brands" such as Iams and science diet but they will not eat them. I guess they are like people; cats would rather eat something that taste good rather than something thats good for them. My cats get annual check-ups every year and the vet says they are very healthy, so 9 Lives must be as good as the more expensive brands.

unhealthy for cats

9 lives cat food should not be sold. First, it contains chicken what that really means is it contains ground up beaks, feathers and eggs that are not safe to feed humans. I have owned many cats. Several years ago after my cat suffered severe bowel blockage my vet gave me some info. 9 lives is known amongst vets to cause either blockage which requires surgery or diarrhea.  Last summer I had forgotten about this as I was shopping for cat food. I purchased a bag of dry 9 lives. Now, my cat will eat anything. I saved him from a shelter at 30lbs. yes, he is now on a diet. Well, he was fine eating this food for about 1 week. Then the diarrhea began. I do not mean once in awhile or a little. Right after he would eat he'd be in the box. This is when i recalled what the vet had told me. I immediately ran to the store to purchase new food. I switched him right then. Within 1 day he was back to normal. Never again will I make that mistake.

9Lives cat food great for my cat.

from Batesville, AR

Comments about 9 Lives Cat Food:

The only negative I have with this brand of cat food would be the price. 9 Lives is not the most expensive cat food, but it is higher than other brands of cat food. My cat enjoys the can food and dry cat food from 9 Lives, but she does not like the pate, which is all smashed in the can. Pate reminds me of potted meat, so I don't blame her for not liking pate. Recently 9 Lives came up with gravy sensations, which my cat really loves. I keep wet and dry cat food out for my cat to eat. She definitely favors the wet food more than she does the dry cat food, but there are some days she will eat more dry cat food. I also like the fact that you can buy can food in individual cans or it comes in packs of 4 or more, which usually is different flavors.

Quality of Ingredients
9 Lives seems to have good ingredients listed in their product descriptions listed on their labels.

Flavor Selection
9 Lives has several selections of flavors in their can cat food. It also has a few flavors in their dry cat food products.

• Flavor Selection:

My three cats all equally enjoy this food and run to be fed

from West Virginia

Comments about 9 Lives Cat Food:

I was surprised to see so much negative feedback on this brand and this food. Every time I purchase it, which is usually every two or three months, my cats are always excited for the food.

The food doesn't improve their coats, their shine, or their weight or hairballs but it doesn't really claim to do that. To me this smells just like all other dry cat foods. It isn't appealing to me but my three cats love it.

Every time I put the scoop in to measure out their food, they come running and meowing to be fed. If I am feeding one of them, the other two are climbing up my pants leg to get their share.

The cats really enjoy the food and eat every last bite.

I don't like that the bag hasn't yet added a reseal feature but I hope they will consider it soon. The last bit of food always has a lot of food dust but other than that I have no real complaints and neither do my kitties.

Quality of Ingredients
As with most grocery store brands, this one could use more protein and taurine but I always add a special protein powder to their foods to make up for the difference.

Flavor Selection
Surprisingly, my local grocery carries several different types/flavors of 9-lives in both dry and wet varieties.

Disgusting and Dangerous!

from Hartford, CT

Comments about 9 Lives Cat Food:

This has to be among the absolute worst cat foods on the market. Truly, it is that bad.

Many cat owners simply will not purchase this for their furbabies and I wholeheartedly concur.

The food, if you can call it that, is made with the absolute worst of ingredients. It is quite well known that the product routinely has bits of bone, feather, and beak fragments in it which can cause severe damage to the digestive tract, including bowel obstrcutions.

Another common occurrence is vomiting after eating this, and I really can't blame them.

This "food" is truly among the very worst options available and should never be fed to any animal. I also believe that it is manufactured in China, as were the pet foods which caused numerous deaths.

I just cannot take the very serious risk and feed this to my furbabies. It's truly like playing Russian Roulette with their lives every time you feed them a can.

I highly, highly recommend that you stay away from this horrible product.

9 Lives Canned Cat Food

from Saint Petersburg Fl

Comments about 9 Lives Cat Food:

This is a very good canned cat food that all three of my guys like. It's not their favorite but it works well in a pinch.

Quality of Ingredients
The ingredients are good but since I have older cats, the vet recommends that I don't give them too much canned food.

Flavor Selection
They're a bit limited at least the places I go to for variety of flavors. I usually get the kitty stew flavor as they like it most. All cats are picky so you have to experiment.

• Flavor Selection:

This is the WORST food for your cat!

from lakeland, florida

Comments about 9 Lives Cat Food:

This is absolutely the worst brand of food to buy for your cat. It is has terrible ingredients and it will make your cat SICK. I gave this food to my cat when she was younger and through her eating this food, I figured out her stomach issues. A friend of mine gave this cat food to her kitty and she told me she had very few issues. Unfortunately, I gave this food to my cat, Jade, and it made her horribly sick. She started throwing up right after she ate and soon she was gagging and/or throwing several times a day. I did not realize it was the food and I took her to the vet. My vet said to take her off this food immediately; she said it was not made with good ingredients and that overall it was a bad food to give to any cat. I immediately stopped giving it to her and she started to slowly get better. When she started to perk up, I was so relieved. So, this was a lesson for me. No 9 Lives for my cat!

• Flavor Selection:

Only if you hate your cat.

from Drakesboro, Ky

Comments about 9 Lives Cat Food:

This has to be the most dismal cat product I have ever had the misfortune of purchasing! I opened up the cans and almost didn't serve it to them because of the disgusting color of gray. Much to my regret, I gave it to my cats anyway, and within 24 hours all my cats were sick. They were otherwise healthy, but once they ate this food started vomiting. After it got out of their systems they were fine, and I tried it once more wondering if it was a fluke. When I served it to them the second time they all started to vomit again. This was not pleasant for me or my cats either! I will never again buy any product by 9 lives cat food. Perhaps they call it 9 lives because you will use up all 9 lives of your cat if you feed them this junk.

Quality of Ingredients
The most horrible food I have ever had the misfortune of buying for my animals.

Flavor Selection
The flavor selection was great, it's just a shame that the quality is not there.

• Flavor Selection:

This review is for canned food, a good value

from Phoenix, AZ

Comments about 9 Lives Cat Food:

This food is one of the most economical, and goes a long way when feeding several cats, such as strays to whom we just can´t say no. It´s the least expensive canned food that the majority of my cats will consistently eat.

Quality of Ingredients
I don´t think it´s as good as higher priced food, but it´s passable, and some are better than others. I judge this based on how many of my cats consistently like it. The salmon and turkey ones done as purees are the best. The ones with gravy and chunks, not so much. Also, beef isn´t a favorite.

Flavor Selection
There are plenty of different flavors and also textures such as purees and chunks and slices. There can be poultry, seafood, and beef.

9Lives Seafood & Poultry Favorites Variety Pack Cat Food

from Overland Park, KS

Comments about 9 Lives Cat Food:

We never fed our cats wet food growing up, so with our first cat, I just fed her dry food. When we adopted our male cat though, I asked my vet for any recommendations because of an unfortunate fact we learned about male cats. My parents adopted a male cat, who ate dry food, and suddenly noticed he wasn't feeling well. They took him to the vet and discovered he had developed crystals in his urinary tract and unfortunately passed away. Male cats are especially prone to this because they don't get enough liquid with dry food. Our vet recommended we switch to a wet food so we wouldn't have the same issue with our cat. She specifically mentioned 9 lives wet food as a budget friendly brand that didn't contain the fillers that most pet food has. She said to stay away from the kind with gravy though because it isn't healthy for them. Cats are carnivores, they need protein and can't process carbohydrates or other fillers in pet foods. Both my cats love it and come running as soon as they hear the lid open.

Quality of Ingredients
I can definitely smell the seafood in the seafood varieties and my vet did recommend it as a brand that doesn't contain all the fillers that other brands do.

Flavor Selection
I only buy the variety pack, which is 4 flavors, but I know there are others available. It's just easier this way for me and my cats enjoy them.

• Flavor Selection:

Not a great choice of cat food for my cat

Comments about 9 Lives Cat Food:

This product is continually turning colors. My cat is a 6 year old Maine Coon cat and usually eats two cans of cat food a day. I noticed that my cat will eat little bits of this food and leave the rest overnight. However, when I throw the leftovers out the next day, the all white meat has a bright pink color. I really do not know why. When I first open the can, it is fine, looks, fine, and smells fine. Then the next day, it is bright pink and smells rather sweet. I would not recommend 9 lives products. Honestly, I would rather feed my cat Friskies, they have a variety of flavors and I have never had an issue with change of color or odor. Friskies is highly recommended in my book.

• Flavor Selection:

I love this brand both of my boys eat the wet and dry food.

from Old Bridge, NJ

Comments about 9 Lives Cat Food:

I love 9 Lives. I have two male cats, both of which were rescued. The wet food comes in a variety of different meals. From chicken to veal to beef and super supper my boys come running when they hear the can open. I also give them dry food from 9 Lives, they love the Plus Care Grilled tuna and egg. They are very finicky eaters and will turn their noses up at anything but 9 Lives.